Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
I'm enjoying OOTP 12 alot. First OOTP game I actually bought and started a new game with the roster update. I've usually played the old free versions of OOTP that they give away and so this was a pretty big jump from that to 12.

Took over the Giants and managed to get rid of Zito's contract through trade which seemed like garbage, but it was for a decrepit Tori Hunter so I guess it might of been even (not really)

Also Brandon Belt is a beast

RiceBurrito fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
:airquote:Steakhouse:airquote:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

my scout just found a 15 year old kid in venezuela with 5-star potential and I signed him to a minor league deal.

Is that poo poo even legal?

seriously though, how will that guy not break every batting record if my scout didn't just go down to Venezuela and smoke a LOT of drugs or something...

Telex fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 29, 2011

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Telex posted:

my scout just found a 15 year old kid in venezuela with 5-star potential and I signed him to a minor league deal.

Is that poo poo even legal?

seriously though, how will that guy not break every batting record if my scout didn't just go down to Venezuela and smoke a LOT of drugs or something...

Look at a real-life scouting report on a toolsy 16-year-old; Michael Ynoa was supposed to be blowing away major leaguers at this point.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
What all's changed between OOTP 11 and 12? Anything good? The pictures don't look that much different.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 29, 2011

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

What all's changed between OOTP 11 and 12? Anything good? The pictures don't look that much different.

Better financials, better scouting. More unnecessary bugs, more useless loving dialog boxes.

Contract negotiations are both better and loving busted. Instead of submit, wait a while, get a response and resubmit taking weeks or months to get a contract hammered, you get instant sit-down negotiations such that you get extremely close or extremely angry the first attempt. As usual the AI prices everyone way too high in an absurd way and then settles for something significantly less. I wish they'd copied Baseball Mogul and showed the "rumors" in the negotiation boxes but that would require effort and well they really needed to poo poo out that iOS version of the game instead. Oh and you can get vesting options and team buyouts and such now.

It's really a lovely update honestly. Maybe there are some hidden gems that I'm not aware of somewhere but it seems like they added a few very small things that are visible to the user and that's it. I still loathe having to hire a goddamn A-ball pitching coach every other year, I don't care about managing the minors on a micro scale I just want someone to tell me when my minor leaguers are ready to trade or play but the game doesn't "do" that or I can't find an option for it. Rather disappointing.

But it was $30 so I guess it's not so bad.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
If you go to Manager Options you can set you minor league lineups/depth charts and personnel decisions to auto or something and the CPU will manage it for you so you can concentrate on the ML team.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

con posted:

If you go to Manager Options you can set you minor league lineups/depth charts and personnel decisions to auto or something and the CPU will manage it for you so you can concentrate on the ML team.

Warning, you still have to do rather a lot of work unless you want to later learn that your prize prospect has been sitting on the bench.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I'm pretty sure you can lock a player in as a starter, but I haven't messed around with it in a while so don't quote me on that.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
You could in the old versions.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

con posted:

It does not auto-handle coaching changes. That, or it waits until some time when it's too loving late to get decent coaches and what not.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

In 11, the trick is that if your scout thinks you have a prized prospect but the computer thinks he's a dud, then the computer isn't going to start the guy unless you go into his player profile and set his game strategy to always start at "xx" position.

I've always found the computer is just fine at managing the minors in earlier versions of OOTP. Just make sure you don't have a lot of players blocking your better prospects. Prospects with major league contracts are tricky, though.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
In OOTP 12, is there any way to edit the MLB and, say, add 2 new teams and do an expansion draft in 2012? I tried making a custom league but I can't add teams or anything :(

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ManifunkDestiny posted:

In OOTP 12, is there any way to edit the MLB and, say, add 2 new teams and do an expansion draft in 2012? I tried making a custom league but I can't add teams or anything :(

Once you create the league you should be able to add expansion teams in the first preseason under the league options

I've never actually done this, so I have no idea how it works but the option is there!

dr. orange juice
Jan 28, 2010

As idle as a painted ship Upon a painted ocean
Amazon is having a sale on the digital download version of OOTP 11 for $5 again. As mentioned before, though, it seems like this version can't be patched.

How significant are the patches for this game? Would the original, unpatched version still be pretty stable? Would the features, etc. pretty closely resemble the final patched version?

Crud Bonemeal
Feb 9, 2006

But for us, it's not about one year. It's about trying to build a sustainable winner. If we build it correctly, we should be able to build a sustainable winner for the long term.
My catcher is a pretty lucky dude

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It was just the Pain Train

WHOO WHOO

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

lol

Also last year the NL started using a DH.

I like the random changes thing.

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
Mine league expanded the DL list to 19 days and two new franchises in the about 5yrs of playing this league. Whats the most extreme thing that's happened with changes? I've heard of roster expansions like a a bigger 40 man and even bigger Major league Rosters.

Also I somehow flipped a trade that sent a crappy Jacoby Ellsbury for a decrepit Dan Uggla that somehow became Cameron Maybin in two offseason trades. I'll take that thank you

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

RiceBurrito posted:

Mine league expanded the DL list to 19 days and two new franchises in the about 5yrs of playing this league. Whats the most extreme thing that's happened with changes? I've heard of roster expansions like a a bigger 40 man and even bigger Major league Rosters.

I've had games before where the DL was shortened to 7 days, multiple franchise relocations (Blue Jays to Columbus, Astros to Indianapolis, A's to Oklahoma, etc) and rosters going to 28 players.

Nothing is ever radical, just gradual changes here and there kinda like how MLB usually does it, just compressed into smaller timeframes because it's a game. I'd love to see a random radical change factor where it suddenly does some crazy poo poo like I don't know declare hard salary caps and get rid of divisions and contract 6 franchises or some poo poo and claim "tough economic times, boo hoo".

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

bewbies posted:

lol

Also last year the NL started using a DH.

I like the random changes thing.

I can't keep teams from moving to or expanding into places that make no goddamn sense, like Jacksonville, San Antonio, or Indianapolis, so I just turned off expansion and relocation.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Of course, I've manually put 5 teams in Canada, which makes more sense :canada:

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Colby Rasmus just retired in 2012 at age 26

He was unhurt

He was OPSing .867

It was the middle of the NLDS

The Cards were up 2-0 in the series

:psypop:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Couldn't take TLR any more.... cannot blame the guy.

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet
I played Baseball Mogul for years, and I'm surprised just how much more in-depth OOTP is. It blows BM out of the water.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
OOTP 12 is awesome, but it still has a Baseball Mogul like love of totally weird poo poo going on

Bryce Harper, at age 25, coming off a season in which he put up a 1.100 OPS with 60 homers and a .370 batting average....signs with Boston for 3 years 10 million per year

And about 10 guys get career ending injuries per season

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Bryce Harper, at age 25, coming off a season in which he put up a 1.100 OPS with 60 homers and a .370 batting average....signs with Boston for 3 years 10 million per year

Haha wow he totally busted in my game. I'm using him as a 4th outfielder on a 500k contract.

Also the salaries are set in the game ("a great player salary will be around $XX"); default is $14m I think so that isn't totally ridiculous. It does suck though for the teams who have players who signed real life megabuck contracts.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

bewbies posted:

Haha wow he totally busted in my game. I'm using him as a 4th outfielder on a 500k contract.

Also the salaries are set in the game ("a great player salary will be around $XX"); default is $14m I think so that isn't totally ridiculous. It does suck though for the teams who have players who signed real life megabuck contracts.

I think being a Nationals fan in my reality would basically be the worst thing ever. Harper and Strasburg are on pace to be the best hitter and pitcher of the modern era, and they've signed with Boston and the Yankees respectively.

They didn't make the playoffs a single time before they left either

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I think being a Nationals fan in my reality would basically be the worst thing ever. Harper and Strasburg are on pace to be the best hitter and pitcher of the modern era, and they've signed with Boston and the Yankees respectively.

They didn't make the playoffs a single time before they left either

wanna know what the worst part is?

You're loving stuck with Jayson Werth's fat lovely contract until PAST the point where both Harper and Strausburg are making 15m+/year.

In my case, Strausburg won the Cy Young 3x in a row and started clocking 16m/year in his 2nd year of arbitration. Harper wasn't far behind in mine, I think he was getting 12m/year in his first year of arbitration and here I am with that Werth contract paying 20m/year for a bench player since he basically stopped caring about baseball in 2014. Ugh.

assuming you do something like play the Nats in this game, which I did and I did manage kick a shitload of rear end in 2013 but it was all in the poo poo when I was paying way too much for 5 dudes and having AAAA scrubs in the rest of my slots.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Marquis de Pyro posted:

OOTP 12 is awesome, but it still has a Baseball Mogul like love of totally weird poo poo going on

And about 10 guys get career ending injuries per season

Glad to see CEIs are still common events in OOTP 12. Wouldn't want to fix that bug at all.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

tadashi posted:

Glad to see CEIs are still common events in OOTP 12. Wouldn't want to fix that bug at all.

To be fair, it's only a bug when they are still happening despite CEI's being turned off and deleted from the injury.txt file.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well my closer had a solid season

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is a great season indeed.

I have just started to become a real OPB guy. I find myself trading for a guy with 16 (out of 20) contact, and 20 (out of 20) eye. He draws so many walks it isn't funny. Needless to say he is leading the league in runs scored. And also, because the in game economy doesn't rate OBP highly compared to say, average, I signed him to a really team friendly long term contract.

Maybe I should get a job with the Rays.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Well my closer had a solid season

Not remotely as great as 2030.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

AlleyViper posted:

Not remotely as great as 2030.

Well you have to blame me for that, the manager not getting such a dominant pitcher more save chances??? Amazing I wasn't fired

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
I think the fact that you're willing to own up to your mistake earns you a pass. Do a better job next time, though!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So I just got OOTP '12 and I am overwhelmed to say the least. I know it's more detailed than BBM, but can anyone who's played OOTP for a few years give me a quick primer on the most important parts, or a general synopsis of what I need to know?

thank you, fellow baseball simulation nerds!

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Would really like to test my GM skills. Sounds like Mogul is better for beginners, but I have a Mac and don't really want to run Crossover or whatever. Is it worth buying Crossover for, or just go with OOTP12 and tough it out?
Just downloaded OOTP8 for free. Got my league and everything set up. And then it crashes. Tried it again and crashes again...

Cold Sprunk fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
Either I'm cursed or the Giants are really screwed over injuries like true to real life. I started in 2011 and now in 2020 and I've racked up scores of injuries on everyone young and old. There probably hasn't been a time where there's not at least one person on the 25 man roster not on the DL, and I've had as many as 5-7 at a time including at least 3 starting pitchers. I lost Wheeler to Tommy John who never got past double A, and Belt had a career ending injury at age 31. I'm cursed aren't I :(

• Locked thread