Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

Can someone help me out with the last chapter of AFfC?
So the person that takes Sam to the rogue archmaesters is Pate from the prologue, but didn't he die at the beginning? So does that mean this is someone posing as Pate? But shouldn't his friends recognize the imposter, since they were also in that scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Vilkata posted:

Can someone help me out with the last chapter of AFfC?
So the person that takes Sam to the rogue archmaesters is Pate from the prologue, but didn't he die at the beginning? So does that mean this is someone posing as Pate? But shouldn't his friends recognize the imposter, since they were also in that scene?

If you'll notice in the prologue Pate is killed by someone who looks just like Jaquen. Jaquen then assumes Pate's identity by changing his face again.

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

hollylolly posted:

If you'll notice in the prologue Pate is killed by someone who looks just like Jaquen. Jaquen then assumes Pate's identity by changing his face again.
I guess I entirely missed the part about the alchemist looking like Jaquen. Thanks for the clarification on that.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Charlie Mopps posted:

Got home from work and ADWD was waiting for me. There goes my weekend. :woop:

You lucky bastard. Actually, I am just starting my re-read of AFfC, so I can wait.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like there's something ASOS Mellisandre isn't telling us. Is the fight going to be the Lord of Light Vs the Others? Or mellisandre/dany vs the others/trolls/etc fighting westeros?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like there's something ASOS Mellisandre isn't telling us. Is the fight going to be the Lord of Light Vs the Others? Or mellisandre/dany vs the others/trolls/etc fighting westeros?

Yeah I think there's a whole fuckload Melisandre isn't telling us. Bring on her ADWD POVs I say .

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ASOS: I just got past The Red Wedding and I actually have to say that I wasn't really surprised by it. I'd actually figured it out beforehand right after Robb made Jon his heir. Mainly because Robb had never been a POV or particularly vital character and more of a plot device, and suddenly having the King in the North being a wildling-banging Night's Watchmen soon to be beset by wights and giants is a much better dramatic arc. Plus there was so much heavy-handed foreshadowing between Catelyn begging him to eat for guest's rights, Frey's quip about the red running aplenty at the wedding, and a few other bits and pieces, the whole event didn't blindside or shock me like a lot of other events in these books have. I was actually pretty relieved to see Catelyn go, because she'd basically broken down into a cringe-inducing shadow of a character that we were saddled with to find out what was going on with the Northmen. I was more upset about poor Greatjon, because I always pictured him as Brian Blessed and he just wanted to drink and laugh. . .

Oh well, it had actually become one of the least interesting plot threads for me, and I want to see more from Davos. I also think Beric was a really interesting character and would like to see more about him and his group.

It's kind of funny how R'hllor and The Other seem to be the only real gods with any power. Perhaps it's less to do with a god, than some relation to the elements, but the only real magic we've seen so far (in Westeros I guess) is stuff like Melissandre's cooter shade and Beric's continued resurrection/spontaneously combusting sword. Then again there's also the Warg stuff, and the little woman on the hill who seems pretty plainly to be one of the Children of the Forest, though none of that is near as fantastical as Beric and the vagina phantom.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 3, 2011

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah it'd be interesting if that thread was developed. Too bad that (book four spoilers) a feast for crows is literally composed of jaime/cersei/brienne boring as hell horseshit and doesn't expand upon robb or jon or the north at all. the closest you get is Samwell, who's getting sent away, and the obliquely referenced execution of Davos. Also i it was pretty apparent that Robb was going to die as soon as he stopped trusting his instincts and Grey Wind. It was pretty clear he was going to be ambushed when his wolf refused to go into the Twins and he was like "hurr burr but they didn't protect my brothers?? gently caress wolves what do they know?? Rejecting the "northern ethos" sure worked out well for Sansa I wonder how it'll work out for Robb!! (it didn't)

Book four in general is a loving disappointment. It expands on the characters no one gives a gently caress about (ooh I wonder what's going on at the vale! please jesus tell me more about what's going on with Littlefinger and Sansa and Cersei!! and leaves out any sort of meaningful forward progression with basically any other character that's developed in the first three books. Want to know what's happening with Sandor Clegane or Beric Dondarrion or what's happening in Winterfell or what Davos is upto? Too fuckin bad!! Alternating cersei/jaime chapters for you

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 3, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Yeah it'd be interesting if that thread was developed. Too bad that (book four spoilers) a feast for crows is literally composed of jaime/cersei/brienne boring as hell horseshit and doesn't expand upon robb or jon or the north at all. the closest you get is Samwell, who's getting sent away, and the obliquely referenced execution of Davos. Also i it was pretty apparent that Robb was going to die as soon as he stopped trusting his instincts and Grey Wind. It was pretty clear he was going to be ambushed when his wolf refused to go into the Twins and he was like "hurr burr but they didn't protect my brothers?? gently caress wolves what do they know?? Rejecting the "northern ethos" sure worked out well for Sansa I wonder how it'll work out for Robb!! (it didn't)

Book four in general is a loving disappointment. It expands on the characters no one gives a gently caress about (ooh I wonder what's going on at the vale! please jesus tell me more about what's going on with Littlefinger and Sansa and Cersei!! and leaves out any sort of meaningful forward progression with basically any other character that's developed in the first three books. Want to know what's happening with Sandor Clegane or Beric Dondarrion or what's happening in Winterfell or what Davos is upto? Too fuckin bad!! Alternating cersei/jaime chapters for you

AFFC spoilers: Jamie's chapters weren't bad, and the Sansa Feast chapters were my favourite section in the entire books. Seeing Littlefinger being awesome just doesn't disappoint. I'm also happy there was no Dany, though I did miss the Jon stuff

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

hollylolly posted:

Holy poo poo! I would have never, ever, ever picked up on that. I thought that was freaky too!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Hell Diver posted:

ASOS
It's kind of funny how R'hllor and The Other seem to be the only real gods with any power. Perhaps it's less to do with a god, than some relation to the elements, but the only real magic we've seen so far (in Westeros I guess) is stuff like Melissandre's cooter shade and Beric's continued resurrection/spontaneously combusting sword. Then again there's also the Warg stuff, and the little woman on the hill who seems pretty plainly to be one of the Children of the Forest, though none of that is near as fantastical as Beric and the vagina phantom.

ASOS spoiler: Well, we know that the Old Gods are real. We see a few characters in the books who exhibit genuine supernatural powers, like that wood witch Tom o Strings goes to for news, she accurately predicts many future events. The explination the characters gives seem to explains the general lack of power of the old gods is tied to the felling of the trees. There are displays of power in/near the wall which are probably the old gods too, such as the door under the wall.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
(Feast spoilers)I can understand some people hating on Feast since it has a very different pace when compared to Storm, but not how you can hate Cersei and Jaime chapters where important stuff actually happens. They're certainly a lot more interesting than Jon continuing on his stupid hero's journey. They are even my favorite POV's together with Davos.

I guess it helps that I don't have the hardon for the North and the Starks that a lot of readers seems to have.

e; Except for Sansa. She's cool.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 3, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Kainser posted:

(Feast spoilers)I can understand some people hating on Feast since it has a very different pace when compared to Storm, but not how you can hate Cersei and Jaime chapters where important stuff actually happens. They're certainly a lot more interesting than Jon continuing on his stupid hero's journey. They are even my favorite POV's together with Davos.

Feast has the unenviable task of dealing with the fallout of the War of the Five Kings and of laying the groundwork for getting Dorne, the Vale and (to some extent) the Iron Islands involved in the wider conflict. There's just no way around the fact that it has a lot of legwork to do, and Dance will not have to deal with either of these (although Dany in Meereen has its own problems).

Feast reads to me like everything in Game of Thrones before Ned gets his head lopped off. It's not terrible but ultimately it's still just the groundwork that makes everything that comes after it pay off (although I still think there are moments that are pretty awesome in their own right, but it's moments as opposed to chapter after chapter awesome in ASOS). The main difference is whether you read it now and then look forward to the next two when they come out, or whether you join the nerds with entitlement issues pity party in the Bad Thread.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Yeah it'd be interesting if that thread was developed. Too bad that (book four spoilers) Sandor Clegane or Beric Dondarrion or what's happening in Winterfell or what Davos is upto? Too fuckin bad!! Alternating cersei/jaime chapters for you

feast spoilers dondarrion is dead and clegane is a gravedigger at the abbey, pretty simple stuff man As for the rest of it, we're probably going to find out in two weeks or less so...

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Hell Diver posted:

ASOS: I just got past The Red Wedding and I actually have to say that I wasn't really surprised by it. I'd actually figured it out beforehand right after Robb made Jon his heir. Mainly because Robb had never been a POV or particularly vital character and more of a plot device, and suddenly having the King in the North being a wildling-banging Night's Watchmen soon to be beset by wights and giants is a much better dramatic arc. Plus there was so much heavy-handed foreshadowing between Catelyn begging him to eat for guest's rights, Frey's quip about the red running aplenty at the wedding, and a few other bits and pieces, the whole event didn't blindside or shock me like a lot of other events in these books have. I was actually pretty relieved to see Catelyn go, because she'd basically broken down into a cringe-inducing shadow of a character that we were saddled with to find out what was going on with the Northmen. I was more upset about poor Greatjon, because I always pictured him as Brian Blessed and he just wanted to drink and laugh. . .

The Greatjon. Why are you upset about him? The chapter didn't say he died.

And I think everyone reading knew something bad was going to happen, but as bad as two main characters dying? That was a shock hardly anyone saw coming.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hampig posted:

Feast has the unenviable task of dealing with the fallout of the War of the Five Kings and of laying the groundwork for getting Dorne, the Vale and (to some extent) the Iron Islands involved in the wider conflict. There's just no way around the fact that it has a lot of legwork to do, and Dance will not have to deal with either of these (although Dany in Meereen has its own problems).

Feast reads to me like everything in Game of Thrones before Ned gets his head lopped off. It's not terrible but ultimately it's still just the groundwork that makes everything that comes after it pay off (although I still think there are moments that are pretty awesome in their own right, but it's moments as opposed to chapter after chapter awesome in ASOS). The main difference is whether you read it now and then look forward to the next two when they come out, or whether you join the nerds with entitlement issues pity party in the Bad Thread.

Yeah you definitely have to have entitlement issues to expect some sort of narrative development from 1000 pages of novel. You could skip AFFC and probably fill in the gaps going on your own going forward

And what is directly related in AFFC isn't even the stuff I want to hear about. I get a dozen Brienne chapters of her incompetent rear end tilting at windmills all over the country, and Davos possibly dying is like one or two offhand lines. Woop

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 3, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

You could skip AFFC and probably fill in the gaps going on your own going forward
You could do the same with GoT, Clash or SoS if you were so inclined.

e; Davos is most likely not dead, but I agree that Brienne's chapters kinda sucked. Which is a bit of a shame, I like her character and getting to see the war-torn landscape was nice.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 3, 2011

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kainser posted:

You could do the same with GoT, Clash or SoS if you were so inclined.

e; Davos is most likely not dead, but I agree that Brienne's chapters kinda sucked. Which is a bit of a shame, I like her character and getting to see the war-torn landscape was nice.

Knowing exactly where Sansa is kinda kills any and all tension in the Brienne chapters.

That said, I recently re-read the whole series in anticipation of Dance, and Feast didn't feel nearly as disappointing. Only the Briennechapters were really boring, but they do serve a purpose in showing just how hosed the Kingdoms are, post-war-of-kings. I mean, winter is here and there's no food. Fuuuucccckkkked.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Yeah, I'm digging AFFC more than I expected. Agreed that the Brienne chapters are pretty blah but I like the rest.

Cersei can get annoying sometimes too, she's just such a raging bitch and thinks she's so hot at playing the game but you can tell she just sucks rear end at it, and when Jaime tries to steer her on the right course she just gets all huffy. I really hope she goes down hard. Tommen is already turning into a spoiled little Joffrey, though without the psychotic streak.

And I really like the way Arya's and Sansa's stories are going. Arya is gonna make a badass secret assassin and I hope Sansa starts to learn a thing or two about lying and manipulation from Littlefinger. It's too bad both are barely featured in the book.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
nm

Oodles of Wootles fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 4, 2011

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Completely off the topic, but your avatar (and the book it's from) rules, Eggnogium.

So yeah, it's hard to stay out of the Bad Thread now. I can wait another week and a half, I swear...

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snuffman posted:

Knowing exactly where Sansa is kinda kills any and all tension in the Brienne chapters.

I know I'm on the outside on this, but I actually liked those chapters.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

kcroy posted:

I know I'm on the outside on this, but I actually liked those chapters.

They're good because they feature Podrick

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Its sort of amazing that AFFC Spoilers after getting hated on for a loving decade, AFFC comes along and says "Well, we are going to turn sansa into an interesting character now, but youll only see her for three chapters and we wont focus on her at all, even though her arc as a character is reaching a pivotal point." I mean come on, I never hated Sansa like a lot of people do but shes finally reaching the point where shes going to be a player in the game and its like she was brushed aside.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I liked AFFC. I missed the 'fun' characters... but I still liked it, despite the Greyjoys (ugh ugh ugh). And the lack of 'fun' characters just means the 2 year wait (for me... longer for others) for aDwD will (might) pay off.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I have always been a fan of the abrupt about face people have pulled w/r/t the Greyjoys. For a long time everyone pretty much said Hell Yea! Reaving and Salt Wives :black101: but (AFFC Spoilers) I guess the constant crappy exposition has worn people down over six years and now everyone hates all the Greyjoys and anything coming from Pike

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Greyjoys owns, sorry :colbert:

I can agree that the Aeron chapters suck, but I love the Asha, Victarion and Theon chapters

fake edit: The best part of Feast is King Tommen anyway :3:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Those getting ADWD early ... are you ordering from Amazon and they're just shipping it early? I just finished AFFC and pre-ordered it in hopes that it might get to my house by the end of the week (I have Prime membership).

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I think Amazon Germany sent some of their copies out already. I know a guy in Germany who got his copy like four days ago.

Of course he also just started the series like six months ago. Life just isn't fair.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

hollylolly posted:

I think Amazon Germany sent some of their copies out already. I know a guy in Germany who got his copy like four days ago.

Of course he also just started the series like six months ago. Life just isn't fair.

gently caress that guy, and gently caress Germany.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

Those getting ADWD early ... are you ordering from Amazon and they're just shipping it early? I just finished AFFC and pre-ordered it in hopes that it might get to my house by the end of the week (I have Prime membership).

amazon.de sent out about 180 copies early

also now some retail stores are breaking street date (please report them to grrm)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

i am not so sure posted:

Got it last friday from Amazon.de. Had it pre-ordered since about the day it was possible. :negative:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I just finished blitzing through a re-read of the series and I didn't realize the genesis of all the rape jokes are from book 4. It's not prevalent in 1-3 but its creepy how often rape is mentioned or implied in the last book. I think its on every single Brienne page. What the hell GRRM?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Kainser posted:

Just sucks that they changed the name of Others to White Walkers :(

But they didn't? I've seen this posted a few times, but people go "The Others take him!" in the TV show all the time, even southerners like King Robert.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I appear to be a little late with the news of the leak, ignore this.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

wayfinder posted:

But they didn't? I've seen this posted a few times, but people go "The Others take him!" in the TV show all the time, even southerners like King Robert.
Also, the white walkers are different than the others. The walkers are the zombies. The others are the snow demon things

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

For Loop posted:

Also, the white walkers are different than the others. The walkers are the zombies. The others are the snow demon things

Nope. The Wights are the zombies, the white walkers are the others, in reference to the show. They're used interchangeably.

sarsbar
Oct 16, 2007

GA: Yes Your Shout Pole Is Like A Tower Broadcasting Your Fear Across The Ring And You Are Right To Be Afraid
THANKS THIS IS GRATE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Kainser posted:

(Feast spoilers)I can understand some people hating on Feast since it has a very different pace when compared to Storm, but not how you can hate Cersei and Jaime chapters where important stuff actually happens.
I've said this before and I'll say it again - the Cersei chapters of AFFC were my favorite parts of that book. Just watching her slowly crumble into [even more of] a[n] psychotic mess, seeing her own self-destruction coming - it was so sweet. Joff is the only character whom I wanted dead more than Cersei, but he got his in a 5-second segment that didn't adequately capture the agony he SHOULD have gone through. Cersei's chapters in AFFC are immensely satisfying for the reason that we see her protracted downfall and the damage it does to her. I started my AFFC reread this morning and just thinking about this is giving me a warm feeling inside.

hampig posted:

Feast reads to me like everything in Game of Thrones before Ned gets his head lopped off.
I think this is a pretty fair assessment. I enjoyed Feast more than those first 400-odd pages of GoT, but that's in larger part because Feast has on-going storylines to follow. It took me several weeks to plod through the first half or 2/3s of GoT when I first read it.

hampig posted:

I figured it's that Nymeria is basically wild at this point and off doing her own thing leading the big wolf pack
I figured that it's either: that Arya is with the Hound, whose sent Nymeria knows; or being led around by the Kingswood Brotherhood (or whatever they're called), and that in either case Nymeria wasn't going to approach them because she probably has pretty unhappy memories of the Hound and because with the Brotherhood Arya is with a bunch of other people.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

sarsbar posted:

THANKS THIS IS GRATE

No it's not. You posted it in the spoiler thread too. At the exact same time as this one. It wasn't great there either.

You are terrible. :frogout:

• Locked thread