Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

You can, but as was just gone over, it's hard as poo poo to find something that boots off the SD card that runs CM7. Here's a wiki with all the instructions you need though:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor/Rooting/Eclair

I found these instructions on XDA which seem simpler:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11452450&postcount=19

They probably should add to back up your current rom in clockwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Anyone experience crashing/forced rebooting on CM7 whenever you plug the phone in? I have an Incredible.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm on a Droid 1, and ever since Rom Manager updated to 4.0, it won't download any updates to CM7 Nightlies. The furthest I've had it get is to 60%, and then it just hangs there forever. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Clockwork, but if that doesn't work does anyone have any suggestions?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm on a Droid 1, and ever since Rom Manager updated to 4.0, it won't download any updates to CM7 Nightlies. The furthest I've had it get is to 60%, and then it just hangs there forever. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Clockwork, but if that doesn't work does anyone have any suggestions?

Save any backups you may need, uninstall ROM Manager, completely nuke the /clockwork directory on your SD card and reinstall the app.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just uninstalling and reinstalling worked with the download thing, but now I'm having another problem: I tell it to reboot into recovery to update, and instead it just reboots the phone normally, without even attempting to go into recovery. It just gives me the Motorola logo followed by loading up CM7.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Just uninstalling and reinstalling worked with the download thing, but now I'm having another problem: I tell it to reboot into recovery to update, and instead it just reboots the phone normally, without even attempting to go into recovery. It just gives me the Motorola logo followed by loading up CM7.

Have ROM Manager reflash your recovery. I've had this happen a few times. If the phone's recovery partition is pooched it will just skip it all together and just go to the next step; the OS.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It seems like I keep finding different info: is there a root for incredible two? I've read its both otw and already out

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That worked. Thanks a lot!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

That worked. Thanks a lot!

Glad it worked. I'm beginning to think it's a ROM Manager problem. I've never had it happen until 4 was released and now its pooched recoveries on 3 of my phones. Just keep an eye on it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Anyone experience crashing/forced rebooting on CM7 whenever you plug the phone in? I have an Incredible.

Several people I know all have Incredibles, we're all running 7.0.3 with the Incredikernel and no one has reported that kind of behavior to me. (I'm the one who rooted/flashed all their phones).

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I just tried to update to CM7.1 RC1 for my Evo and it wouldn't get past the white Evo bootup screen. I wiped my data, cache, etc. before installing. What did I do wrong and why are my contact pictures blurry? Thank you.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

DigitalMocking posted:

Several people I know all have Incredibles, we're all running 7.0.3 with the Incredikernel and no one I has reported that kind of behavior to me. (I'm the one who rooted/flashed all their phones).

I'm on 7.0.3 also. Is there a decent guide to installing the incredikernel somewhere?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I'm on 7.0.3 also. Is there a decent guide to installing the incredikernel somewhere?

1. Download the zip file for the incredikernel and put it on your SD card.
2. Reboot into recovery
3. Select "Install ZIP from SDcard"
4. Navigate your SD card's file structure to where you stored the zip and select it.
5. Confirm
6. Reboot

You may also want to do a nandroid backup first.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Penguissimo posted:

2. Reboot into recovery
4. Navigate your SD card's file structure to where you stored the zip and select it.
5. Confirm
6. Reboot

Wipe the cache from recovery as well before installing the kernel. There's a lot of really nice features from the incredikernel, including better battery life.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

This thread pretty much sums up why XDA is a terrible place. Long story short, a Thunderbolt dev gets fed up with users and removes his rom and goes to another site. You then get a bunch of morons arguing over who's fault it is, the dev or the users.

[Q] Where did Gingeritis go?

The ball doesn't really get rolling till page 3-4. Eventually you get 2 morons in a slapfight.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 3, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

This thread pretty much sums up why XDA is a terrible place. Long story short, a Thunderbolt dev gets fed up with users and removes his rom and goes to another site. You then get a bunch of morons arguing over who's fault it is, the dev or the users.

[Q] Where did Gingeritis go?

The ball doesn't really get rolling till page 3-4. Eventually you get 2 morons in a slapfight.
The feelings of entitlement people have on there are pretty amazing sometimes. Android is open source, if you don't like what these devs are doing, clone the AOSP git repo and go build your own rom that has unlimited battery life and downloads unicorns over 5G.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
I gave up on XDA ages ago. There's some good stuff there but for every interesting app there's a hundred uber-entitled morons demanding someone do something complex and time-consuming for free.

Also, I keep reading "Gingeritis" as "Gingertits".

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Penguissimo posted:

2. Reboot into recovery
5. Confirm
6. Reboot

Oh, haha, I glanced at the incredikernel.com HOWTOs and thought I had to build the kernel myself.

Seems to be working great, thank you very much :)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If XDA is so bad, where should I go for my Incredible 2? I've been haunting their forums for the past week seeing if the promised root has come out yet, but the community is pretty terrible.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

If XDA is so bad, where should I go for my Incredible 2? I've been haunting their forums for the past week seeing if the promised root has come out yet, but the community is pretty terrible.

Just read first posts and you'll be good. Maybe read the last two pages of a thread to see if something is hosed or not if you're brave.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bbcisdabomb posted:

XDA isn't terrible, it's the posters that are terrible. I see XDA more as a necessary evil.

Godzilla07 posted:

Just read first posts and you'll be good. Maybe read the last two pages of a thread to see if something is hosed or not if you're brave.

This is pretty much what I do. Read first few posts, then goto last page and read a page or 2 back to make sure there isn't a bunch of gamebreaking stuff in it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Godzilla07 posted:

This. It'll save you from the 80 pages of "D/L'ED AND FLASHING NOW OH EM GEE SO EXCITED". We need XDA.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I finally jumped into custom ROMs with MikG's ROM for the EVO (Gingerbread with Sense 2.1 and 3.0) and OHH MY GOD it is amazing. Beautifully smooth, tons of new features, the ring lockscreen -- everything just works oh so good together. Nothing broke, camera, camcorder, 4G, GPS -- everything works!

And on top of that, I found out that my EVO had been on 1x all this time, since some EVOs have a bug that sets them to "CDMA Only" from the factory instead of "Automatic" which means 1x + EV-DO. So I was able to fix that and now can finally get reasonable speeds when I'm not on 4G.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

fudsak posted:

Thanks I would appreciate it. About a month ago verizon has begun seriously attacking the free wick methods.

ok, hes rooted, running the liberty ROM and this app: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Wipe the cache and dlavik before flashing it. I've flashed it several times and never had a problem. Do you have a nandroid you can go back to from before you flashed the kernel? I also know some people have freak problems with kernels. If it happens again after flashing nandroid and flashing kernel, I'd say maybe a fresh install of CM7 after a factory reset?

I'm just spitballing here.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
http://shortfuse.org/?p=52

SuperOneClick supposedly supports temp-rooting the EVO 3D already. Is it even worth it at this point? (It would be my first time rooting an android phone).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Been running cyanogen on my Droid X for almost a week now, and I think i'm going to go back to Liberty. I just like the motoblur camera too much (at least being able to use the shutter button and whatnot), along with video capability. If neither of those things are an issue for you, then it seemed great! Fast, solid battery life (although didn't seem as good as Liberty), and I didn't have any data issues that I noticed (spent most of the time on wifi so if they were there it wasn't an issue). Will probably try it again if they every get the camera stuff worked out properly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's been out for like 2 weeks already. I just did it yesterday and had no problems and I've tried out a couple custom ROMs already on mine. I even had a harder time with it since I have an Incredible S that I bought in Hong Kong, which had the exploit patched out so I had to crossgrade to a european official ROM before doing the AlphaRevX thing for S-OFF. Just follow the first post of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1137008

It worked without any problems and I've never done this before on any phone.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm also having space issues for apps on an N1, don't think it's the system because without apps I seem to have plenty of space. I'm using the CM7 RC.

If anybody could give me a Plain English tutorial or something for how to move more app data to SD, I know it's possible but I'm using the 7.1 RC and apparently it's quite a bit of work and I'll probably lose all my app settings.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Craptacular! posted:

I'm also having space issues for apps on an N1, don't think it's the system because without apps I seem to have plenty of space. I'm using the CM7 RC.

If anybody could give me a Plain English tutorial or something for how to move more app data to SD, I know it's possible but I'm using the 7.1 RC and apparently it's quite a bit of work and I'll probably lose all my app settings.

There's probably a way to change the partition structure of the Nexus one to flat out give your apps more space by taking from the /system and /cache partitions which don't need as much as they have, which would help as well. Unfortunately, the only way I know how to do it is for the Desire GSM, but the instructions are on http://alpharev.nl/ you may be modify them or find an alternate way to change partition structure to suit the Nexus One. I have my Desire on the Bravo Oxygen table, System 100 MB Cache 5 MB Data 332 MB and it works great with Cyanogenmod 7 - a similar partition layout should work on Nexus One.

Now that aside, I could never get the whole "make a partition on SD card that acted like internal storage for apps" to work, so I always just dealt with only being able to do the standard Android "move to SD" that left some data on the internal - you can move anything to SD in that manner that doesn't have a widget or run a service basically.

One thing you do have to do is make sure the part on your SD card is the same filesystem as your rom uses internal tho, if you make the partition on the SD card. I think most of the tools make the SD card chunk YAFFS or EXT2 by default - that works on 1.x and 2.0/2.1/2.2 but 2.3 uses EXT4 so you need to make sure the tool does that.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004
FINALLY fixed my issue.

If you're on a gingerbread Droid X and want to wifi tether again, you have to install a patch. This forum post explains it well and provides the necessary files:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/30948-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Does the 7.1 update for CM for the Nook Color come recommended? Is it as stable as the previous release? Does it have better battery life?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doghouse posted:

Does the 7.1 update for CM for the Nook Color come recommended? Is it as stable as the previous release? Does it have better battery life?

It has been rock solid for me so far. As far as battery life goes I can't really comment as I'm overclocked and overvolted.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I looked for a while and never found a "plain English" guide. I did, however, figure out everything I needed in order to do it. I'm also assuming you have a fairly slow SD card but if you have a fast one you might want to consider moving app data to SD as well but I don't have experience with that. Here are the instructions for DarkTremor's a2sd script with CM7:

You are going to need to erase your SD card, so the first thing you want to do is copy everything to your PC (since that's going to take a while). You're also going to want to use Amon-RA's recovery as CWR seems to gently caress up a2sd partitions fairly often.

Once you've got both of those things done, make a nandroid of your current installation. The script I use and recommend is a modified version of a past version of DarkTremor's a2sd. The current version sometimes makes speaker volume really low which requires a reboot. I also use an EXT3 partition rather than an EXT4 one for no reason other than I just always have. You can get the script I use here in the Passion > DT scripts folder entitled "dtapps2sd-CM6N-2.7.5.2-signed". No, I don't know what the difference between that one and the one called CM7N 2.7.5.2.1 is, and yes I use the CM6N one with CM7.

Here are the basic instructions on how to do it. You have to do the formatting of the SD card in the recovery (if you do it on your computer it will be FAT not EXT2) and only Amon-RA has the convert EXT2 > EXT3 (unless CWR has changed since I did this). You can ignore a swap partition, you don't need it. You also probably don't need more than 1GB, but do whatever feels good to you.

After you're done, copy your backup back onto the SD card on your PC. Once that's done, put it back in the phone and (since I keep up the nightlies I reflashed the ROM) flash the ROM, the GAPPS, and the script in that order. Anytime you flash anything in recovery you MUST re-flash that script. If you don't you will gently caress up everything.

Once you're back up (and this boot up will take a very long time-- long enough that you'll think it's bootlooping) you'll want a2sd GUI from the Market. On there you'll be able to monitor your space and what's where. The script will have moved everything to SD on boot, but you need to make sure all of your Froyo a2sd has been changed back to internal (don't batch this, do it in the Manage Apps screen yourself). Last use a2sd GUI to move Dalvik to SD (which will force a reboot).

Now it should be done.

Any questions feel free to ask.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 5, 2011

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So I got my stupid EVO wet during the monsoons this weekend, and it has stopped working. I went to the sprint store to see about a replacement with my $7/month payment, and they said it would take a $100 deductible to get a new EVO.

The kind lady helping me out then mentioned that Sprint would buy my 'new' EVO off of me for $150, which means to get a new EVO 3D, would only cost me $50 out of pocket. After my 'new every 2' or whatever its called now, to resign a contract.

My question is regarding root on the 3D. I've had my evo so long, I can't imagine getting a new phone without my angry birds progress, robotek progress, and all of my backed up apps and data. I see a temporary root is out, but doesn't persist.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes the hacking community to get around to a full root? (Don't call me a petulant child b/c of my games, I poop a lot, ok?) And is it possible with a temp root that the 3D has, to install titanium backup, and restore stuff? Will it persist?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

godzirraRAWR posted:

So I got my stupid EVO wet during the monsoons this weekend, and it has stopped working. I went to the sprint store to see about a replacement with my $7/month payment, and they said it would take a $100 deductible to get a new EVO.

The kind lady helping me out then mentioned that Sprint would buy my 'new' EVO off of me for $150, which means to get a new EVO 3D, would only cost me $50 out of pocket. After my 'new every 2' or whatever its called now, to resign a contract.

My question is regarding root on the 3D. I've had my evo so long, I can't imagine getting a new phone without my angry birds progress, robotek progress, and all of my backed up apps and data. I see a temporary root is out, but doesn't persist.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes the hacking community to get around to a full root? (Don't call me a petulant child b/c of my games, I poop a lot, ok?) And is it possible with a temp root that the 3D has, to install titanium backup, and restore stuff? Will it persist?

Part of the buyback program states that the phone being traded in had to have been active for at least 30 days -- beware.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

traveling midget posted:

Part of the buyback program states that the phone being traded in had to have been active for at least 30 days -- beware.

You can also get a lot more than $150 for a fresh refurb Evo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Fascinate Owners!

CM7 is one step closer to having everything working. One of the last two problem items has been fixed in the latest update, phone not waking for calls and messages. This leaves only mms, which has been a low priority item.

This is extremely exciting and hopefully brings the Fascinate even closer to being officially supported by CM.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

godzirraRAWR posted:

FYI Robotek uses Google's cloud back up for app data. Angry Birds doesn't though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

FYI Robotek uses Google's cloud back up for app data. Angry Birds doesn't though.

Do I have to activate this feature cause unfortunately my save data has never synced :(