Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RBA Starblade posted:

How's that FO3 in NV mod working out, besides the guy who has nothing but red error blocks everywhere?

Awesome as all hell. The latest update (with lovely C# installer that looks like it's crashed at several points) actually seems to have fixed the navmesh or pathfinding errors, a crafting issue, and a couple "Gun uses which bullets?" issues that sitll remained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006

Swartz posted:

Well, you people have it your way, I'll stick to mine :P

So much for that mod then, but I have it for myself anyway.

It never hurts to have a mega-mod available for use, I would certainly appreciate it.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

ShiningForceHero posted:

It never hurts to have a mega-mod available for use, I would certainly appreciate it.

Short of having a mega mod, is there some sort of automatic mod updater available for FONV yet? Also, what is the best way (if it is even possible) to "recover" my old saves and use new set of mods for them? I still have all the saves, but I used a lot of mods previous, and spent a lot of time to keep the mods updated and merged. I simply don't have the time to do that again, so I'd just like to keep my old character (facegen at least) and maybe his story progress if that is even possible.

I'll probably restart my game anyway...

I am thinking about trying to use the following big mods as a base: Armory, Project NV, FOOK, WMX, NVskies, EVE. On top of these, I plan to get some texture mods, DarnUI + Revelation UI, Cream-of-Plenty's perk pack, and some companion mods. I am most worried about Project NV and Fook playing nice with each other though...

Speaking of companion mods, just which unlimited companion mod work w/o weird scripting glitches now? Thanks.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ShiningForceHero posted:

I definitely don't plan on a mega-mod.

The point of it would be to combine mods that are unlikely to receive any future updates, are bug free, are not things any future patches might touch on, and make the game more enjoyable (without adding a trillion mods to the load order).

New preliminary list (open to suggestions):
1) No Tutorial
2) NV Quicker Messages
3) Bodypart data w/ mild DT mod
4) Less screen blood
5) No auto-aim
6) Hellos to player disabled
7) Easier pickpocketing (it's totally broken in the base game regardless of sneak skill, and I don't think there are plans to patch it).
8) Cream-of-Plenty's condensed version of More Perks
9) Brighter pipboy light
10) No more annoying companion comments
11) Karma messages & sounds removed
12) Fallout 3 running/walking animations restored

The only mod that still updates (I think) would be the regular More Perks, but gently caress it.
The only thing I could see there that would conflict with any of the major mods, would be the bodypart data mod..so maybe that one could be left out.

Anyway, I might release some condensed pack like that or something. One big plugin > lots of small plugins, as long as they never update or conflict.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Invisible Wall Remover, CASM, and centered third person camera are probably three more small but more or less required mods that could be added to your list.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't get why anyone would prefer Fallout 3s chicken-wing running to the natural animations of New Vegas. Killed the game for me when I tried to go back to 3.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Swartz posted:

6) Hellos to player disabled
10) No more annoying companion comments
12) Fallout 3 running/walking animations restored

I'm not so sure about these ones. The NPC comments are already better than FO3, and so are the animations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The discussion about player homes a few pages back got me to looking around for a good one to replace the Underground Hideout. Lucky 38 Reloaded simply wasn't a very good mod in my opinion and it and UHNV appeared to be the best player housing mods on the Nexus. I was about to download the GECK and start plugging away at making my own when I found one I really like.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40136

This little "vault" is pretty far to the south of the map, just up the hill from Nipton. It's not a pristine VaultTec facility, it's just a disused "bomb shelter" style vault. Sadly, there's no weapon display walls, but that's about the only downside I've seen to this little place. You do have to do an "unmarked quest" to get the vault up and running, but it's as simple as using some common parts to fix the power system.

Definitely worth checking out if UHNV is pissing you off or if the engrish of Lucky 38 Reloaded is making your eyes cross.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Goodsprings Home mod is the poo poo. All you need.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Goodsprings Home mod is the poo poo. All you need.

Yeah, if you just want to stash some junk, the Goodsprings Shack is perfect (assuming we're speaking of the same thing).

Speaking of the Lucky 38, I'd been looking for a replacement because I'm a millionaire and stuff now, and I want a real penthouse to chill out in. So I fixed Lucky 38 Reloaded's engrish, an updated ESP is available here.

It's not complete, I overlooked some activator text overrides, but apart from that it won't be like nails on a chalkboard any more. While testing this junk, I found out that the navmesh sucks, and I don't know the first thing about fixing it.

At least it lets me easily dump my stuff into different containers, I'll look into adding Dead Money and Honest Hearts item sorting next.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Which Goodsprings Home? There's like a dozen mods that add player homes in Goodsprings.

I personally like to use Ol Rustys Old and Rusty Bus of Safety and Equality. :3:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Horns posted:

Which Goodsprings Home? There's like a dozen mods that add player homes in Goodsprings.

I personally like to use Ol Rustys Old and Rusty Bus of Safety and Equality. :3:

I'd just grabbed the one with the most endorsements, Goodsprings Shack. But yeah, no sorters, no frills, not even a workbench. I had to walk uphill both ways to get trade components back to Goodsprings' workbench.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chronojam posted:

I'm not so sure about these ones. The NPC comments are already better than FO3, and so are the animations.

This as well as suggestions by Naky & Chronojam taken into consideration. New list will look like this:
Note: Won't add Invisible wall remover because as more DLC is released it will likely conflict until new versions of it are released.

1) No Tutorial
2) NV Quicker Messages
3) Bodypart data w/ mild DT mod
4) Less screen blood
5) No auto-aim
6) Easier pickpocketing (it's totally broken in the base game regardless of sneak skill, and I don't think there are plans to patch it).
7) Cream-of-Plenty's condensed version of More Perks
8) Brighter pipboy light
9) Karma messages & sounds removed
10) CASM
11) Centered 3rd person camera
12) Quantity menu key change (choose which key to use via xml)
13) Dynamic Quantity Prompt (Ctrl-clicking a stack of items will take/drop/buy/sell one item; Shift-clicking a stack of items will take/drop/buy/sell the whole stack.)
14) Legendary Hunter (should this be added? It might conflict with other mods in the future I think).
15) Rude Awakening (no more freebies from Doc Mitchell without stealing them)

Might merge & release something along these lines, with community ideas, tomorrow.

--
As for player homes, I was never into them before, but the two that Bison Steve's adds are pretty cool.

Also: if you haven't installed EVE yet you should (if you don't experience any of the bugs that some people are having). The new gore is pretty cool. Blood spray particles leave blood spatter on walls, ceiling, etc. which is neat.

I'm taking the same stance. Even though I'm interested in merging crap, I refuse to really play the game again until the new patch + dlc are relased.
\/

Swartz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 4, 2011

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I'm waiting for the next DLC pack on July 19th to start another playthrough. I expect it's going to take me a week to redownload/update all the mods I typically use, then spend countless days loving with the load order yet again to make it jive.

I'm having withdrawls, but dont want to get into it again only to have to update everything in two weeks when the patch/DLC come out. BLEH.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Swartz posted:

This as well as suggestions by Naky & Chronojam taken into consideration. New list will look like this:
Note: Won't add Invisible wall remover because as more DLC is released it will likely conflict until new versions of it are released.

DLC so far, and likely for the rest of the game's lifespan, hasn't actually revisited areas of the wastelands. You might as well include the invisible wall remover, the worst that could happen conflict-wise is that some area is revised and the wall remover doesn't handle that area. So you'd suddenly have some invisible walls, nothing more.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I find my poo poo crashing on loading the wasteland. I think these HQ shaders are what's doing it. Usually it will hang a while and stutter on the loading screen. The game looks so much better that it's worth it to me to save in preparation for a possible crash, though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Chinaman7000 posted:

I don't get why anyone would prefer Fallout 3s chicken-wing running to the natural animations of New Vegas. Killed the game for me when I tried to go back to 3.

Because it's how the characters in my anime run GOD <:saddowns:>[/Nexus]

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I don't even want to imagine what a Nexus emote would look like. How do you condense everything that's awful and amazing about Nexus down to just one tiny 90x25 pixel icon?

Unrelated, but I remember someone mentioning ages ago that they'd like to have a version of the reinforced leather armor that didn't look so pristine. Can't remember who it was, but I just stumbled across this and thought that whoever asked would appreciate it: Rogue Leather Retex. Two of them are still a bit too clean for my tastes, but the brown retex has a nicer worn-in and rough leathery look compared to vanilla.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Horns posted:

I don't even want to imagine what a Nexus emote would look like. How do you condense everything that's awful and amazing about Nexus down to just one tiny 90x25 pixel icon?

Unrelated, but I remember someone mentioning ages ago that they'd like to have a version of the reinforced leather armor that didn't look so pristine. Can't remember who it was, but I just stumbled across this and thought that whoever asked would appreciate it: Rogue Leather Retex. Two of them are still a bit too clean for my tastes, but the brown retex has a nicer worn-in and rough leathery look compared to vanilla.

I was the one that mentioned it. Thanks for bringing this up, going to check it out.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Are there any good mods that add new creatures and animals. Monster Mod looks awful considering it has monsters like this:

No really, what?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Horns posted:

A close-up of molerat boobs with the word "BANNED" next to it.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Any way to make the textures for the restored FO3 weapons not really bad? Using PN to get them if that matters.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

Are there any good mods that add new creatures and animals. Monster Mod looks awful considering it has monsters like this:

No really, what?

I don't know if there are any better ones but Monster Mod really isn't worth using. A lot of the monsters are bugged or not implemented properly, and the poor models really stand out.

Plus a lot of the monsters are tough to kill but give you poo poo for XP, so that's no fun.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Is there any way to get Manual Reload to play nice with NVSE 2 beta 5? Project Nevada needs the newer NVSE, but I get an error message saying that Manual Reload needs NVSE whenever I launch the game, so it must not be reading that the newer version is installed. It's nothing super essential I guess, I just sorta liked it :(

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So I've followed the instructions in the second post to add the commands to fallout.ini to fix the weird mouse acceleration, but whenever I start the game it changes the file back to the original and makes it read only again.

How do I fix it for good?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Dotcom656 posted:

So I've followed the instructions in the second post to add the commands to fallout.ini to fix the weird mouse acceleration, but whenever I start the game it changes the file back to the original and makes it read only again.

How do I fix it for good?

If you're using the Fallout Launcher you need to change Fallout_Default.ini in the game directory for changes to work. If you're not, try using it.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Came across another really great armor mod, the Courier Uniform. It's an outfit that you collect bit by bit in an unmarked quest, and each piece can be worn independently of each other like the armor and accessories in Tailor Maid/Satchels. The basic idea is that it's actually what you were wearing when Benny shot you. Somehow in the time between getting shot in the face and waking up in the Doc's place, all of your gear other than the base outfit has gone missing and you have to hit up courier resupply boxes that are set up on all the Mojave Express dropboxes in the wasteland. It doesn't make much sense, but it's a hell of a lot more clever than just dumping it all into a random footlocker somewhere and the gear itself is very well done.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Horns posted:

Came across another really great armor mod, the Courier Uniform. It's an outfit that you collect bit by bit in an unmarked quest, and each piece can be worn independently of each other like the armor and accessories in Tailor Maid/Satchels. The basic idea is that it's actually what you were wearing when Benny shot you. Somehow in the time between getting shot in the face and waking up in the Doc's place, all of your gear other than the base outfit has gone missing and you have to hit up courier resupply boxes that are set up on all the Mojave Express dropboxes in the wasteland. It doesn't make much sense, but it's a hell of a lot more clever than just dumping it all into a random footlocker somewhere and the gear itself is very well done.

That's not what you were wearing when Benny shot you, though. It looked like a big hat and typical wasteland wanderer clothes.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just did a fresh load of my game. I deactivated every esm/esp except for NV, Dead Money, and HH. I loaded up a game, saved it, quit, and then reactivated everything. It resets everything mod related, but the game seems to be running a bit better now. I might just stick with that save file.

Other than losing my stuff that came with the mods (such as the M weapons from AWOP, whatever guns I've gotten from the armory so far, etc.) is there anything that can affect my game that I'm not aware of? I don't mind getting my weapons over again since those awop areas are fun, and I have the cheater's cabinets up for Armory :v:

I just don't want something weird to happen down the line that I'm not aware of. Getting new weapons and supplies and stuff will be no big deal. Any perks, though, are probably gone as well. I hadn't thought of that. I can load my old save and insert the perks I lost via console commands, I suppose. I'm going to try and stress test my new save where things have been reactivated and see if it really is running better before I go through all the work. It would be easy to re-add the perks though, especially with FNVeditor.

Edit: I just noticed a weird thing. When I started that fresh load I still had the 4d storage device from AWOP. I could still go to the starter box in Doc Mitchell's house and grab another one, though :swoon: I wold have thought that I would lose that thing with the mod being removed and all.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Very Voracious Vermin originally sold me on DEM WANAMINGOS AND FLOATERS, but the romance ended very fast when I found out it had easily the most insane spawn system ever. I went to the Gun Runners and found 4 hostile Mr Gutsy bots inside Vendortron's shack, causing him to refuse me service.

Yeah that poo poo got uninstalled quickly.

Also I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible that the OP could be updated? A lot has happened over the course of this thread and I think a lot of people would appreciate more being available right up front.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 4, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I haven't played since Dead Money came out, so what not-worthy mods have come out for New Vegas since then? I saw a monster mod in the OP, but heard it's not that good, which is a shame.

By the way, has that mod to let you visit Fallout 3 and it's DLC come along nicely yet? That and any mods for Honest Hearts, since I probably pick that up today from the sale.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Horns posted:

:nexus: and/or :nma:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Rodyle posted:

Also I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible that the OP could be updated? A lot has happened over the course of this thread and I think a lot of people would appreciate more being available right up front.

I know it's par for the course for Bethesda game modding threads to have the OP lose interest after three pages (Morrowind, last year's FO3 modding thread) but Cream-of-Plenty has actually kept it up to date fairly well. Hell, literally the first thing in the OP states that it was updated on June 30th.

Is five days ago not updated enough? :confused:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

potaties posted:

Is there any way to get Manual Reload to play nice with NVSE 2 beta 5? Project Nevada needs the newer NVSE, but I get an error message saying that Manual Reload needs NVSE whenever I launch the game, so it must not be reading that the newer version is installed. It's nothing super essential I guess, I just sorta liked it :(

Look back a few pages, someone here took the script and mucked with it to make it work in new versions of NVSE.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=124#post393152955

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 4, 2011

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Arrath posted:

Look back a few pages, someone here took the script and mucked with it to make it work in new versions of NVSE.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=124#post393152955

Oh poo poo, Thanks! And thanks to you too Cream-of-Plenty! You rock!

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
Currently it's just a town with no quests, but this mod here is pretty cool so far:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42229

I'm hoping that maybe if it gets a bit more attention from others that the creator will feel more inspired to add quests in. As far as an actual town goes though, I find it rather nice. I always like mods that add new cities or settlements, and currently the only other one I know of is Rust Town.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rodyle posted:

Like SourceElement pointed out, I update the OP once or twice a week, and I frequently take feedback from the thread to add / remove mods that have become outdated or are extremely unpopular. A lot of modding thread OPs going months without being updated but this isn't one of them.

potaties posted:

Oh poo poo, Thanks! And thanks to you too Cream-of-Plenty! You rock!

No problem! Since I posted that link, I haven't heard of anybody having problems with it, so I assume it's working out fine for everybody who downloaded it.

SplitSoul posted:

:nexus: and/or :nma:

I think that sums it up nicely.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Like SourceElement pointed out, I update the OP once or twice a week, and I frequently take feedback from the thread to add / remove mods that have become outdated or are extremely unpopular. A lot of modding thread OPs going months without being updated but this isn't one of them.

Yeah sorry about that, turns out I just can't read. :downs:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rirse posted:

I haven't played since Dead Money came out, so what not-worthy mods have come out for New Vegas since then? I saw a monster mod in the OP, but heard it's not that good, which is a shame.

By the way, has that mod to let you visit Fallout 3 and it's DLC come along nicely yet? That and any mods for Honest Hearts, since I probably pick that up today from the sale.

Requiem for a Capital Wasteland isn't without its rough patches, but it's regularly updated and worked on, and there are enough people using it to provide feedback on how to get it working correctly. I'd say now is the time to give it a shot.

I recently stumbled across Honest Hearts Extensions, which tries to add extra mini-quests to the DLC after the Main Quest.

Rodyle posted:

Yeah sorry about that, turns out I just can't read. :downs:

No problems, I make the same assumptions when I skim through OPs.

EDIT:

Hey, so has anybody tried Essential Visual Enhancements yet? I was under the impression that it was just an energy visual rehash (sort of like FO3's equivalent, but FO3 needed one.) Turns out, it's been rebranded to deal with visuals for all sorts of poo poo, like exploding limbs, bullet/water impact, and critical kills. These images are loving exciting, man.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Hey guys, I played New Vegas on PS3 and did pretty much everything there is to do in the game, but I haven't played the DLC, and I was wondering if with the user created mod content it's worth it to pay 21 bucks for the game + DLC as per today's Steam sale.

Shorter version of the question: Is it worth it to shell out $21 to re-purchase the game so that I can mod it?

Also, how good are the two DLC scenarios?