Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I am trying to build a working Lego desk lamp for my future childs room. Is there anything I need to know such as will the brick melt under the light bulb or do they have a decent tolerance for heat? Should I go with a simple square design with the bulb in the middle or go for a more classic base with post and lamp shade design? Just curious if anybody has any experience building working house hold objects out of the simple Lego. I found my few thousand pieces of random loose Lego that I have had since I was a kid, and was going to start experimenting with designs or try to build it on the CAD program Lego has on their website. Going to break out the Dremmel soon to make some light switches and other fun little things to accent the room sometime I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Rythe posted:

So I am trying to build a working Lego desk lamp for my future childs room. Is there anything I need to know such as will the brick melt under the light bulb or do they have a decent tolerance for heat?

Wiki says ABS melts at 105 Celsius, and is used in applications up to 60 Celsius, or about 140 F. Presumably it softens and begins deforming around then. So, use a fluorescent or LED.

quote:

Should I go with a simple square design with the bulb in the middle or go for a more classic base with post and lamp shade design?

Gotta go with a more classic design with a shade made out of translucent pieces.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Pyroclastic posted:

Wiki says ABS melts at 105 Celsius, and is used in applications up to 60 Celsius, or about 140 F. Presumably it softens and begins deforming around then. So, use a fluorescent or LED.

Gotta go with a more classic design with a shade made out of translucent pieces.

Thank you for that information, a LED should be more than bright enough with out putting a ton of heat. I am thinking of making two different designs, one a square or pyramid with all clear block and a LED/Fluorescent bulb in the middle. Kinda of a super sweet night light design. The lamp and shade is going to take some trial and error to figure out the correct way or a good design to make it stable and most importantly awesome to look at. Maybe I'll take some of my electrician skills and come up with something pretty cool over all, if anybody has suggestion toss them out there, I'm stumped on the classic look right now.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rythe posted:

Thank you for that information, a LED should be more than bright enough with out putting a ton of heat. I am thinking of making two different designs, one a square or pyramid with all clear block and a LED/Fluorescent bulb in the middle. Kinda of a super sweet night light design. The lamp and shade is going to take some trial and error to figure out the correct way or a good design to make it stable and most importantly awesome to look at. Maybe I'll take some of my electrician skills and come up with something pretty cool over all, if anybody has suggestion toss them out there, I'm stumped on the classic look right now.

If you GIS "Lego Lamp" there's a lot of examples to get ideas from. One that looks easiest is just to get a table lamp with a narrow base and build a vase-form around it with bricks. If you're worried about flammability and/or easy access to the bulb, you could stick with a regular lampshade and just put LEGO graphics on it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Here's a cool one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40298014@N08/3954000046/

Alternatively, this one's just the base:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abbiedabbles/5686793791/

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

If you GIS "Lego Lamp" there's a lot of examples to get ideas from. One that looks easiest is just to get a table lamp with a narrow base and build a vase-form around it with bricks. If you're worried about flammability and/or easy access to the bulb, you could stick with a regular lampshade and just put LEGO graphics on it.

What is GIS, I am oddly not familiar with that abbreviation?

Thanks a lot Saint Sputnik both of those pictures are bad rear end, now to figure out how to build them.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

Rythe posted:

What is GIS, I am oddly not familiar with that abbreviation?

Thanks a lot Saint Sputnik both of those pictures are bad rear end, now to figure out how to build them.

Google Image Search.

\/No problem.\/

HardHead fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 3, 2011

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

HardHead posted:

Google Image Search.

Duh, well I am turning in my official nerd card for not knowing that of even thinking about doing a GIS for Lego Lamps. Oh well live and learn I guess, Thanks HardHead.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Went into Five Below yesterday and they had a box of Series 4 mini figs for $2.99 with 11 in it, so I grabbed one...

And then my fiancee grabbed the other ten. :rolleyes:

So here's our collection as it sits. We already had the two surfer girls and the Hazmat guy, the others are all from yesterday.

I think it was a pretty good spread, though my fiance didn't get the ones he really wanted, but figured he wouldn't from the start. I'm really liking the female figures in this series, other than the face and hair of the figure skater.

Series 5 soon, huh?

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
When are those series 5 figs due out? I really can't wait for that gladiator.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rythe posted:

Duh, well I am turning in my official nerd card for not knowing that of even thinking about doing a GIS for Lego Lamps. Oh well live and learn I guess, Thanks HardHead.

I prefer to use Flickr instead of GIS because usually the results are more accurate to what I'm looking for, and because all the images are hosted in one place instead of scattered around, with the potential to get bad page behavior. It's eye-opening to install Web of Trust, which marks every link in a Google search based on user feedback of page safety (viruses, cookies etc.,) and see how many red dots you get.

Dr. Platypus posted:

When are those series 5 figs due out? I really can't wait for that gladiator.

August I think. I really want to know where I can just buy a store display box full and be done with it.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-8683-MiniFigure-Collection-MiniFigures/dp/B003QTS2NY

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I can't wait to spend an hour again manhandling the little packets at wal mart.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. Platypus posted:

I can't wait to spend an hour again manhandling the little packets at wal mart.

Yes, nothing more likely to make you totally self-conscious than being a fully grown adult male, fervently manhandling Lego packages and neatly sorting them into piles, while soccer moms stroll past with their kids in search of the Nerf or Barbie section to get a gift for a youngsters party.

Chance of weird looks 100%

Not that it stops me of course.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes, nothing more likely to make you totally self-conscious than being a fully grown adult male, fervently manhandling Lego packages and neatly sorting them into piles, while soccer moms stroll past with their kids in search of the Nerf or Barbie section to get a gift for a youngsters party.

I found an easy solution to this, if you have the money.
Just buy loads of them then feel them up at home.

Open and keep your 16 and the rest put in a bag in a box under a bed. Then when you find yourself short of money sell them on eBay.

I know this sounds scalperish.. but I've been unemployed for the last 3 months (have just got a new job though, hurrah!) and my rent for one of those 3 months was paid for by selling S1 and S2 spares I had on eBay.
Odd as it sounds to say investing in LEGO seems to give a lot more return then any bank at the moment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Indolent Bastard posted:

A week or two ago I was at TRU getting some of the new Kingdoms sets and I ran into two kids who were squeezing the packages. I ended up asking them what they were looking for and we hung out for a while trying to find them a Mad Scientist. They were super impressed that a guy my age was still into Lego. I like to think I encouraged them to stick with the hobby.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Travis343 posted:

A week or two ago I was at TRU getting some of the new Kingdoms sets and I ran into two kids who were squeezing the packages. I ended up asking them what they were looking for and we hung out for a while trying to find them a Mad Scientist. They were super impressed that a guy my age was still into Lego. I like to think I encouraged them to stick with the hobby.

I run into this all the time at the lego stores, I've helped kids, adults and even lego store employee's find the missing ones they're looking for. It worked out well, the store employee was so thankful for finding the missing 2 he needed, he broke out a brand new case and we felt through and found the elf/fisherman I needed.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
Not sure if this has been posted here yet...

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/269480_246613112022368_195027387180941_1205144_3018123_n.jpg

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Between this and the Steam sale going on right now I feel so poor.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Is that...a Lego Davy Jones? I'm not just seeing things, right?

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.
It sure is. Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Joshamee Gibbs, Will Turner, Maccus, and Bootstrap Bill Turner for US$100 with some small ship thrown in for free.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, I may be buying a Lego set at full retail price for the first time in a long time.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Bigger photo, via Brickipedia
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img543/1019/qttemprh2096.png

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using the tail section of this thing for years as a spare change holder. It is amazingly good for it, as on average when filled with nickels, dimes, and quarters, it'll come to about 20 bucks in change. I just found the other part to it, thought I'd recycled it years ago. Turns out the loving thing's worth like 30-50 bucks altogether. Maybe I should keep the tail and try just selling the front part.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=72490c01

Saint Sputnik posted:

Bigger photo, via Brickipedia
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img543/1019/qttemprh2096.png

Image Shack does not work on SA. Use Imgur.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Whoops.

e: 804 pieces, according to Brickipedia.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Holy balls I am going to round out my s4 collection. 1 cent for a soccer player? Worth it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Five dollar shipping for a minifig. Mmm hmm.

Anyways, I'm thinking of taking a trip to Orlando (from Tampa) to hit up the Lego store and get a few PAB buckets. Need to get an oil change first, though.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Not if season 5 gets marked up that much. They're what, 3 bucks each in the store?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Torael_7 posted:

Not if season 5 gets marked up that much. They're what, 3 bucks each in the store?

$4 at TRU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Heroica has hit Target in the U.S. - I just picked up the two expansions this weekend (Draida Bay and Waldurk Forest). Haven't built or played it yet, but I've been so excited at the idea of a Lego dungeon crawler. Rules seem pretty simple but wide open to customization and house rules. They're pretty cheap - $29.99 for the big castle, $14.99 and $19.99 for the two expansions.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Back from the LEGO Imagination Center in Orlando. I got three large PAB cups, a grab bag and a brick seperater. I wasn't too thrilled about the PAB selection; the only piece that really excited me was the 2x2 tan tile. I grabbed maybe four handfuls of that. Beyond that, I got more tan color bricks, and various insignificant crap.

They had the Heroica you guys are getting excited about.

They had a lot of displays outside that I don't recall seeing last year. In fact, it seemed like the entire store got redesigned, and for the better. Pretty much everything is against the walls, so the floor is pretty open. It was very busy for a Tuesday at 1pm.

The six dwarves:

The seventh one is getting lucky:

The Toy Story one is really cool:

The sea serpent has been here since day one:

The coolest one though, by far, is this:

These also have always been here, but I loving love these dogs:

Sair
May 11, 2007

How do they keep the colors in those outside displays from fading?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sair posted:

How do they keep the colors in those outside displays from fading?

I've always wondered the same thing. I think they coat them with a chemical. You can't see it in the picture, but up close, the plastics look a lot more glossy, and the edges are slightly smoothed out, as if there is a clear coating over the entire thing.

Even then, I think they still do fade a little bit. If you look at the dogs and then look at the Toy Story thing, you can tell one has been around for years while the other hasn't. The first thing I noticed about the Snow White settings is how bright and colorful they are. It's not like the serpent and the people with dogs aren't colorful, they just don't have the sheen that the new ones do.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Just bought Son#1 the Lego Creator 5892 Sonic Boom set for his birthday, which I think was probably a good choice for a lego-savvy will-be-7 year old.

Now I need something next month for Son#2's 4th birthday next month. Any suggestions for something that is sturdy, interesting, and play-with-able for the little fella? Should be as close to the same amount of Awesome as the jet as possible, given these constraints. A second jet isn't out of the question if there isn't anything else that jumps out at you.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Slo-Tek posted:

Now I need something next month for Son#2's 4th birthday next month. Any suggestions for something that is sturdy, interesting, and play-with-able for the little fella? Should be as close to the same amount of Awesome as the jet as possible, given these constraints. A second jet isn't out of the question if there isn't anything else that jumps out at you.

When I was at the Lego Store I was thinking about how the Cars sets were a perfect storm of toy for kids. It's a franchise that the kids are crazy for, they must be fun as hell to play with, and it all comes in the awesomeness that is Lego.

Since he's four, you have the option of going System or Duplo. And even if he's slightly too old for Duplo, the Lego System versions are still somewhat simple. Lightning McQueen is only 33 pieces, and even if he does come apart if he crashes, he doesn't look too complicated to put back together.

Or you can get this, which is essentially a Lego collection starter set.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 6, 2011

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh my God that Maleficent dragon display is the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Slo-Tek posted:

Just bought Son#1 the Lego Creator 5892 Sonic Boom set for his birthday, which I think was probably a good choice for a lego-savvy will-be-7 year old.

I just recently finished building all 3 models from this. I enjoyed it a lot but the first one, the boat, is a little lame. The other two are really good and the actual Jet is quite decent in size.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Sputnik posted:

Whoops.

e: 804 pieces, according to Brickipedia.

That seals it. first Buy Two Get One sale at TRU that comes up after this comes out, I'm getting two of these, and another one free. The hull isn't even a cast hull, at least not up top. It looks brick-built. That's awesome. And black riggings?

Revol posted:

They had a lot of displays outside that I don't recall seeing last year. In fact, it seemed like the entire store got redesigned, and for the better. Pretty much everything is against the walls, so the floor is pretty open. It was very busy for a Tuesday at 1pm.

Knocked it the gently caress down earlier this year, it's been rebuilt and is easily twice the size inside. While it was down they replaced it with a badass Lego tent on the other side of the Marketplace by Once Upon A Toy.

Revol posted:

Even then, I think they still do fade a little bit. If you look at the dogs and then look at the Toy Story thing, you can tell one has been around for years while the other hasn't. The first thing I noticed about the Snow White settings is how bright and colorful they are. It's not like the serpent and the people with dogs aren't colorful, they just don't have the sheen that the new ones do.

The dogs and their owners were 'refreshed' a month or so ago, so they shouldn't look too bad. I think that once every 6 months or year they take all the outside bricks and recycle and replace them. The owner kids were rebuilt as a princess and a pirate, though, because the store next door has the Bippidi Boppidi Boutique and the Pirates League where little kids can get made over to look like princesses and pirates.

Yeah, I'm a Disney quasi-nerd, what of it?

E: Almost forgot, the Ultimate Lightning McQueen is on *clearance* at my local Target because it's such a hideous set that I don't think any have sold. Keep an eye out.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 6, 2011

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Well, I'm psyched. I visited my family this past week, and my kids stumbled across a drawer in my old room that was crammed full of my legos. When my mom saw the kids playing with them she says "Oh, let me pull out the rest from the garage!" So now I have my mom shipping home a box crammed full of my Castle and Pirate sets. I had enough to fill a 20x20x16 box with loose bricks, and original instructions for most of them. Soon as those get here we're going on a sorting/building spree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Marchegiana posted:

Well, I'm psyched. I visited my family this past week, and my kids stumbled across a drawer in my old room that was crammed full of my legos. When my mom saw the kids playing with them she says "Oh, let me pull out the rest from the garage!" So now I have my mom shipping home a box crammed full of my Castle and Pirate sets. I had enough to fill a 20x20x16 box with loose bricks, and original instructions for most of them. Soon as those get here we're going on a sorting/building spree.

What sorting? Half the fun is digging through the pile to look for that one piece.