Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
I have been offered a 20% employer discount. My plan already has a 5% discount on it (we have been Sprint customers for a very long time, I can't recall how this discount was applied but it involved bitching!)

Will the 20% stack with the 5%? Will it screw up my plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SLOSifl posted:

Run Settings->System Update->Update Profile every once in a while if you haven't already. It shouldn't take that long to activate the account, but if you're waiting for something to happen automatically, you may be waiting a long time.
Hour 58, still no e-mail, Update Profile doesn't work, still can't register an account. Is this because I'm trying to transfer an old number off a different network?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Battle Cattle posted:

I have been offered a 20% employer discount. My plan already has a 5% discount on it (we have been Sprint customers for a very long time, I can't recall how this discount was applied but it involved bitching!)

Will the 20% stack with the 5%? Will it screw up my plan?

It will not stack, but last I checked 20% is better than 5%.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

DaveKap posted:

Hour 58, still no e-mail, Update Profile doesn't work, still can't register an account. Is this because I'm trying to transfer an old number off a different network?
I transferred my fiancee's AT&T number to my account and her new EVO 4G (my old one) was activated in about 12 hours.

You should probably call customer support. Unless you bought your phone in a store, you should have had to call them anyway to give them the MEID at minimum. Did you do that?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SLOSifl posted:

I transferred my fiancee's AT&T number to my account and her new EVO 4G (my old one) was activated in about 12 hours.

You should probably call customer support. Unless you bought your phone in a store, you should have had to call them anyway to give them the MEID at minimum. Did you do that?
I had already contacted customer support before I made my first post. They mentioned nothing about giving them an MEID (whatever that is) and when I asked if the 72 hours was "business hours or real hours" the guy only said "you have to wait 72 hours." Edit: Tried calling again but the office closed. Derp on my part.
Edit2: Turns out putting in my account number instead of my phone number or serial let me register an account on Sprint.com My number is actually still mid-port, though when I try to check the port status it says there's an error. This is all pure awesome. Hopefully will fix it tomorrow and be done with this.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 3, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

goku chewbacca posted:

Somebody came in here asking about the $10 data fee recently, and I swear somebody reported that they're not, in fact, adding the fee on Everything plans when you ESN swap to older smartphones like WebOS and WinMo.

Did I imagine this? Maybe I read it in another thread because I can't find that post.
You imagined it. The official press release announcement specifically lists both Palm and WinMo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm leaning towards getting a 2nd phone with sprint. I have an employee plan, and I have a 3 line family plan so adding a line for $30 isn't bad. It'll help seperate work and personal, and honestly I just kinda want a second toy, especially since I'll get a good deal.

Currently have an evo. Adding a line would be a contract, so if I'm gonna do that I will get a 3D. Having a 3D and regular evo is kind of retarded though, so this is a poll of what I should potentially trade my evo for? I'm leaning towards the Arrive, but curious on people's thoughts?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm leaning towards getting a 2nd phone with sprint. I have an employee plan, and I have a 3 line family plan so adding a line for $30 isn't bad. It'll help seperate work and personal, and honestly I just kinda want a second toy, especially since I'll get a good deal.

Currently have an evo. Adding a line would be a contract, so if I'm gonna do that I will get a 3D. Having a 3D and regular evo is kind of retarded though, so this is a poll of what I should potentially trade my evo for? I'm leaning towards the Arrive, but curious on people's thoughts?

The Nexus S of course, but I would want a completely different experience so the Arrive would be tempting.

That said with a Google Voice number I really don't see a purpose of a second phone since you have 2 phone numbers to 1 phone. If you really want a second toy I would hold out until Sprint releases something you really want (new Nexus e, a better Windows phone, or even Web OS) .

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

The Nexus S of course, but I would want a completely different experience so the Arrive would be tempting.

That said with a Google Voice number I really don't see a purpose of a second phone since you have 2 phone numbers to 1 phone. If you really want a second toy I would hold out until Sprint releases something you really want (new Nexus e, a better Windows phone, or even Web OS) .

Well, what I will likely do is create a second Google Voice number and make that my work number, and then just keep my standard number for personal use. I get calls from customers all the time (my card has my cell), which is fine, but I am getting tired of answering not knowing if it is work or personal. It'll be nice to just have the 2nd phone ring and know "oh, only customers have that number." Honestly, its crazy how many phone calls/text messages I get a day (and when they text they never frickin remind me of their name). It is starting to bug me. I don't mind being on call when off work, but this would make it easier to sort through phone calls.

And yeah, there is no complete purpose beyond that, I just want a 2nd phone.

If I can find someone willing to swap an Evo for a Nexus S, I would do that in a heartbeat. Nexus S by itself is too expensive unfortunately. Otherwise, I kind of have that worry about the Arrive, but is the next gen of Windows Phone going to have better hardware? I was under the impression the Arrive would get Mango, which would be big for me.

And WebOS would be fantastic as a 2nd system, but at this point HP seems to have killed themselves. Nothing on Sprint's timeline suggest WebOS whatsoever, which is a bummer, its almost getting boring just having Android phones to recommend. I actually have an old Pre sitting around, so I would likely activate it from time to time just for kicks.

I would take the Arrive over a BBerry of course. The only downside to getting an Arrive would be poor resell value. I really don't care about getting a phone now and then selling and buying whatever comes out newer in 6 months, but the resell value does make that harder.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 3, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

td4guy posted:

You imagined it. The official press release announcement specifically lists both Palm and WinMo.

Customer service moved my Pre to another line without adding the fee when I got my 3d last week, so you might be able to get away with it.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Out of curiosity, do I just go into a store and ask to trade it in? And, does it have to be in perfect shape? My Evo has kissed the ground a few times and so it has some scratches and a couple small dents to the plastic (screen is perfectly fine, though) and on craigslist that's just an invitation for lowballers to the point I just don't even want to deal with them.

Answered my own question here and checked out the T&C for the buy back program, apparently as long as the external damage isn't extensive and the device powers on/clean esn it should be good to go. I'll probably try this Tuesday at a corporate store.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leathal posted:

Customer service moved my Pre to another line without adding the fee when I got my 3d last week, so you might be able to get away with it.

I've seen them do it, but only retentions can (number in the op).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
:sigh: I don't know what to do about my EVO not receiving SMS/MMS. Sprint's solution is always to refresh my account from their end which never fixes the problem. I'm afraid to take it to a Sprint store because I'm afraid they'll replace my EVO and an unrootable EVO.

edit: oh and Sprint chat gave me a number to call that ended up being a fax machine.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002
anyone else having random crashes with their 3d? I havent dont anything substantial with it yet but it likes to freeze with words with friends and just sending a normal text. something i am unaware of?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Carnage posted:

anyone else having random crashes with their 3d? I havent dont anything substantial with it yet but it likes to freeze with words with friends and just sending a normal text. something i am unaware of?

Words with Friends is a poorly coded piece of poo poo so it's likely that, but my browser crashed once also. v:haw:v

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002

traveling midget posted:

Words with Friends is a poorly coded piece of poo poo so it's likely that, but my browser crashed once also. v:haw:v

i seem to be having random crashes or just unresponsiveness, if thats what you'd call it. i'll get a text but the screen wont come back on and none of the buttons work. im forced to pull the battery out.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:sigh: I don't know what to do about my EVO not receiving SMS/MMS. Sprint's solution is always to refresh my account from their end which never fixes the problem. I'm afraid to take it to a Sprint store because I'm afraid they'll replace my EVO and an unrootable EVO.

edit: oh and Sprint chat gave me a number to call that ended up being a fax machine.
I had this happen the other day and fixed it by manually deleting the SMS database but I'm guessing you've probably tried that already or wiped the phone, which would clear that out anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

datajosh posted:

I had this happen the other day and fixed it by manually deleting the SMS database but I'm guessing you've probably tried that already or wiped the phone, which would clear that out anyway.

I've tried everything short of unrooting the device. I can live with it if I have to, since I can still get SMS in Google Voice, but it's a bummer not being able to receive MMS.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've tried everything short of unrooting the device. I can live with it if I have to, since I can still get SMS in Google Voice, but it's a bummer not being able to receive MMS.

Interesting update on this: I downgraded to a 2.2 stock rom (every rom I had tried had been 2.3) and signed in with a different Google account and now my messages are working. I wish I hadn't done both of those things but now I know that one of them is the problem. I'm almost certain it's a problem with lovely Google Voice loving everything up.

edit: I was wrong. Apparently Gingerbread just doesn't like working on my device anymore.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 3, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Interesting update on this: I downgraded to a 2.2 stock rom (every rom I had tried had been 2.3) and signed in with a different Google account and now my messages are working. I wish I hadn't done both of those things but now I know that one of them is the problem. I'm almost certain it's a problem with lovely Google Voice loving everything up.

The fact that changing your Google account fixes the SMS issue makes it sound like you didn't properly set Google Voice to forward texts. There's a setting in the Google Voice app for text message notifications. On the web, there a checkmark in the Phones tab, this phone receives text messages. I think there's another text setting in the next tab over--Voicemail and Forwarding or whatever it is.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

The fact that changing your Google account fixes the SMS issue makes it sound like you didn't properly set Google Voice to forward texts. There's a setting in the Google Voice app for text message notifications. On the web, there a checkmark in the Phones tab, this phone receives text messages. I think there's another text setting in the next tab over--Voicemail and Forwarding or whatever it is.

No, sorry, I'm not a stupid person. No settings changed between it working and not working, and that wouldn't affect MMS messages.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Even more evo 3d impressions! Battery life seems fantastic so far even after moderate use every day. Still keep grabbing the camera pod at every possible opportunity, and when I use it in landscape I have to be really careful not to touch anywhere near the bottom row of buttons (they seem really sensitive). I absolutely love the camera button and the photo quality seems pretty good for a 5 mp phone camera. Here's some sample shots I took, obviously the ones in low lighting are considerably more washed out and grainy. The bottom one is one half of a 3d picture for a general quality example. Seems to freeze kind of often for me, but it's usually because I'm doing something stupid like trying to play an mkv file or something. Otherwise I just absolutely love this phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ease posted:

Im a land surveyor. High precision gps is way more important. gently caress light squared. They need to find a frequency far away from gps/glonass

It's affecting farmers who use GPS, also.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Duckman2008 posted:

I would take the Arrive over a BBerry of course. The only downside to getting an Arrive would be poor resell value. I really don't care about getting a phone now and then selling and buying whatever comes out newer in 6 months, but the resell value does make that harder.

Man, this made me think Arrives were dirt cheap or something, but there is only one on my local craigslist, for $225. I've been on an Optimus for 7 months and something with a higher resolution screen on SERO P with no 4G tax would be great.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If sounds like the cons outweigh the pros. You have 30 days from purchase to return it and get a good device unless you bought it used.
Alright, the battery life(going through 2 batteries to get through work, using only one screen) killed the echo for me. What's the easiest way to go about trading it up? I'm on Sero, do I need to call the Sero line from the OP?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Alright, the battery life(going through 2 batteries to get through work, using only one screen) killed the echo for me. What's the easiest way to go about trading it up? I'm on Sero, do I need to call the Sero line from the OP?

That'd be a good start. They'd probably laugh you out of the store if you tried to take it back there with your freeloader plan.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Now that I've got 3D and 4G Evos on the way, I was debating what I should do with my old Palm Pre and HTC Hero. I could sell them, but I have been told I can get some more if I flash them to a prepaid carrier like Boost or Cricket. Is this even possible? Would I just be better off pawning them to a prepaid wireless shack who will then flash it themselves?

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No, sorry, I'm not a stupid person. No settings changed between it working and not working, and that wouldn't affect MMS messages.

Even if you don't change any settings, every time you install google voice it automatically disables text message to phone forwarding.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Bicarbon posted:

Even if you don't change any settings, every time you install google voice it automatically disables text message to phone forwarding.

It wasn't a user error! :doh:

Flashing to 2.2 and back seems to have fixed it though.There was a brief time when I was suddenly getting messages normally but NOT through GV, but now they are both working. No clue what happened.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Tatsujin posted:

Now that I've got 3D and 4G Evos on the way, I was debating what I should do with my old Palm Pre and HTC Hero. I could sell them, but I have been told I can get some more if I flash them to a prepaid carrier like Boost or Cricket. Is this even possible? Would I just be better off pawning them to a prepaid wireless shack who will then flash it themselves?

I sold the wife's HTC Hero on Craigslist for $125 or so a few months ago. I too still have my Pre though. I don't want to turn it back on or I'll become jealous of how much nicer WebOS was.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I know a bunch of us got the 3vo in these first 2 weeks of release, so someone else pointed me to 3dporch which is basically trying to be the flicker for stereoscopic .mpos..It's pretty cool, they take submissions from the evo 3d, the 3ds and some fuji point and shoot that also has two lenses. You can sort em by device shot on too, the evo stuff being the best looking of the bunch.

I got ballsy and decided to take out my phone on a job and I took a bunch of 3d photos on set. I uploaded them to 3dporch if anyone wants to check em out.

It was also the first day that I decided to really show people the screen en masse (considering you have to explain and then hand the person your phone every time, which makes me nervous as poo poo)..I still don't understand the mediocre reviews from tech sites, I haven't heard a single person say "oh thats really lame" that sees it for the first time. It's also a drat good icebreaker considering that most people haven't seen a parallax barrier screen in person at this point.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 4, 2011

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
I see a few of posts about getting incredibly good battery life. Lots of reviews I've seen have said that this is not the case though. What's the deal with this? Has HTC kicked out an update that improved it since just before release or what?

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

zer0spunk posted:

I know a bunch of us got the 3vo in these first 2 weeks of release, so someone else pointed me to 3dporch which is basically trying to be the flicker for stereoscopic .mpos..It's pretty cool, they take submissions from the evo 3d, the 3ds and some fuji point and shoot that also has two lenses. You can sort em by device shot on too, the evo stuff being the best looking of the bunch.

I got ballsy and decided to take out my phone on a job and I took a bunch of 3d photos on set. I uploaded them to 3dporch if anyone wants to check em out.

It was also the first day that I decided to really show people the screen en masse (considering you have to explain and then hand the person your phone every time, which makes me nervous as poo poo)..I still don't understand the mediocre reviews from tech sites, I haven't heard a single person say "oh thats really lame" that sees it for the first time. It's also a drat good icebreaker considering that most people haven't seen a parallax barrier screen in person at this point.
When I went to check out the 3d a few weeks ago, the 3d didn't work well with my vision, it looked like those book covers they used to have on children's books where moving it would change the picture between two pictures. Instead of popping out I just saw the image change if I moved the phone. I'm guessing that eye sight is probably the reason for difference in opinions on the 3d.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

CRUISECONTROL posted:

I see a few of posts about getting incredibly good battery life. Lots of reviews I've seen have said that this is not the case though. What's the deal with this? Has HTC kicked out an update that improved it since just before release or what?

The problem is the reviewers basically pull a brand new unit out of the box and give it a go from 100%. The thing about Android handsets and I think most handsets in general is that they require a week or so of break in time so the phone can adjust to the discharge and recharge rates of the battery. I've had mine since launch day and the first couple days it drained pretty fast. Now that it's been a while since it's release my battery life is substantially better than that of my Evo 4g. So much so that I'm pulling it out of my pocket going holy poo poo because I'm used to the not so good battery life on the Evo 4g.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

CRUISECONTROL posted:

As you use the phone regularly, the battery will condition itself and become more in tune with regular usage. I'm getting pretty drat good battery life these days.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

fagalicious posted:

When I went to check out the 3d a few weeks ago, the 3d didn't work well with my vision, it looked like those book covers they used to have on children's books where moving it would change the picture between two pictures. Instead of popping out I just saw the image change if I moved the phone. I'm guessing that eye sight is probably the reason for difference in opinions on the 3d.

It really depends on a few things that I've noticed. Some images do a lot better at showing the 3D effect than others.

You have to find the right distance, and the right angle as well. If you look at the screen, and focus on it, then it'll also help a lot.

The last thing would be the screen needs to be as smudge free as possible, and it also needs to be somewhere that's not insanely bright like outside. If you see yourself in the screen due to the brightness around you, it'll also detract the ideal effect.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

CRUISECONTROL posted:

I'm actually getting better battery life on the 3D then I did with my TP2. But like with everyone else, the first day it drained super fast.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I didn't have an EVO 4G to compare battery life to, but honestly I'm seeing about the same longevity as I was with a relatively healthy battery (95% health or so) in my Pre. I am doing more with the 3D, and everything about it is bigger (screen, processor, cameras, etc), but in my experience over the last week and a half it hasn't been amazing or anything. If I'm understanding the stats in Battery Monitor, I've averaged about 8 hours from 100%-0% since I've been running that, which has been since I got the phone more or less. That's including days where I've used it more sparsely and gone 16-17 hours and still had 20-30% left, and days like today where I've played PvZ on battery for about an hour and 45 minutes and destroyed 40% of the battery.

I think I still pick it up and fiddle with it more than I will once I've had it for a while, so I think the battery life will be ok for the most part. I still can't wait for portable power tech to advance though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

uapyro posted:

It really depends on a few things that I've noticed. Some images do a lot better at showing the 3D effect than others.

I think it's also really important that phone been in the orientation that the photo/video was taken. I was having a hard time making out some stuff on youtube that had been shot on it until I realized I was holding it with the controls facing left, making the screen upside down, once I flipped over to the controls on the right everything was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
Interesting. I really don't buy that somehow the battery calibrates to your usage, if the phone has to pull X mA for a task it will no matter what, but I can buy that the battery meter has to calibrate and maybe there is some sort of burn in. I can get like 2 days of light usage on my old Hero now with custom ROMs, dynamic underclocking, etc. My main concern would be having to really limit my usage if I want to do simple things like listen to music or use maps for a bit.