Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I just started a job that's going to have me on 2 flights a week, plus renting cars and lots of restaurants. I'll probably be putting upwards of $4,000/mo on the card. I'm already going to be rolling in Air/Hotel points since I'm flying/staying so much, so I'm kind of hoping for rewards elsewhere. Cash back seems alright. I do a lot of shopping at Amazon and Newegg, so good rewards for those places would be solid as well. I do very little grocery shopping, so I don't need a good return on that type of thing. What's a good way for me to go? I saw people talking up Amex, but it seems my use/desired rewards vary from what other people in this thread are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just started a job that's going to have me on 2 flights a week, plus renting cars and lots of restaurants. I'll probably be putting upwards of $4,000/mo on the card. I'm already going to be rolling in Air/Hotel points since I'm flying/staying so much, so I'm kind of hoping for rewards elsewhere. Cash back seems alright. I do a lot of shopping at Amazon and Newegg, so good rewards for those places would be solid as well. I do very little grocery shopping, so I don't need a good return on that type of thing. What's a good way for me to go? I saw people talking up Amex, but it seems my use/desired rewards vary from what other people in this thread are looking for.

Citi Forward card. 5x on restaurants and bookstores (and Amazon counts as a book store) and other assorted entertainment things. Don't know about a better card for hotels/flights though

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I would find out what airline your work uses and get a rewards card centered on that. My work uses one airline exclusivly, and all the people that I know who travel here all have that airlines reward amex....they get so many miles just by purchasing the tickets, flying, and buying other stuff that they never pay for flights ... ever.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The Wonder Weapon posted:

In my opinion, your situation is the only time when cash back is NOT the right choice. If you have any power over what airlines you use and what hotels you stay in, make your choice now and go whole hog. For example, make it so all your flights are on United, and all your hotel stays are Hyatts. Or AA and Hilton, or Delta and Starwood. Except not delta, delta sucks. Choose a preferred rental agency too, though this isn't as important.

One you've made your choice (choose wisely), get the respective credit cards for those companies. For example, the SPG Amex is an excellent card even if you don't stay at SPG properties. An AA or UA card can get you close to a free ticket for your next vacation very quickly. Then start charging all your flights to the airline card, and all your hotels to the hotel card, because they earn extra points that way. You could also just get an amex charge or amex spg card, they are flexible when it comes to transferring to airlines, hotels, etc. They even get promos for increased transfer ratios sometimes, like 25k when you transfer 20k, poo poo like that.

The reason why you want points instead of cash back is that points start to be worth "more" when you have more to spend. 50,000 points might be a cool grand cash on a 2% cashback card, but it can get you a first class round trip to europe when combined with high-level airline status.

The key here is being consistent, regardless of which credit card you use. Getting mid-tier at five different companies is worthless, they only start treating you well (free room upgrades, airline lounge access, grovelling staff, all sorts of other poo poo) when you reach double plus platinum level. So pick one and don't stop until you have 60 segments or 100 nights or whatever the hell else they require.

The best advice I can give you is to start reading the flyertalk.com forums. They can get a bit crazy (flying LAX->London and returning the same day just for the airline miles...), but they know their poo poo really, really well.

barking frog
Mar 15, 2004

LorneReams posted:

I would find out what airline your work uses and get a rewards card centered on that. My work uses one airline exclusivly, and all the people that I know who travel here all have that airlines reward amex....they get so many miles just by purchasing the tickets, flying, and buying other stuff that they never pay for flights ... ever.
Agreed. I use Amex Membership Rewards points and transfer them to my frequent flyer program. I was given 200k worth of signup bonuses for Amex, and pretty much with that alone I've redeemed the following rewards this year:

120k points + $250 in taxes (first class, business class where the plane didn't have a first class cabin). Mostly Lufthansa flights.
Boston - Munich
Munich - Krakow
Krakow - Munich
Munich - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Istanbul
Istanbul - Vienna
Vienna - Frankfurt
Frankfurt - Philadelphia

100k points + $450 in taxes (all in business class). Mostly Air Canada flights.
Hong Kong - Seoul
Seoul - Vancouver
Vancouver - Philadelphia
Philadelphia - Vancouver
Vancouver - Tokyo
Tokyo - Hong Kong

Even in economy class, these two tickets would have cost around $5000. For the tickets I booked, it would cost around $25000. I got them for $750 thanks to my free points.

Almost always you get more value for your credit card points when using them for travel. Most people, and this thread is no exception, are heavily biased towards cash back because it's a lot simpler and flexible, even if they are less rewarding.

Oh, and Amex has kickass customer service with great benefits. The only downside at all is that it's not accepted everywhere.

barking frog fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 2, 2011

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So currently I use the following credit cards:

Schwab Visa: 2% Back
British Airways Visa: Signed up because of 100k bonus

In addition, I have an Amazon Visa that I never actually use (even though I buy a ton from Amazon) with a tiny $700 limit and an Amex Blue Student that just expired and the new card is waiting for me to activate it. I'll be doing a ton of traveling from November - January, so I'll hang on to the BA Visa until then. Otherwise, I'm going to cancel it as there's a $95 annual fee. Is my thinking right on this? Should I instead get another Amex of some sort? Once interview season ends I'm going to go back to being a pretty infrequent 7-8x/year traveler.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Residency Evil posted:

So currently I use the following credit cards:

Schwab Visa: 2% Back
British Airways Visa: Signed up because of 100k bonus

In addition, I have an Amazon Visa that I never actually use (even though I buy a ton from Amazon) with a tiny $700 limit and an Amex Blue Student that just expired and the new card is waiting for me to activate it. I'll be doing a ton of traveling from November - January, so I'll hang on to the BA Visa until then. Otherwise, I'm going to cancel it as there's a $95 annual fee. Is my thinking right on this? Should I instead get another Amex of some sort? Once interview season ends I'm going to go back to being a pretty infrequent 7-8x/year traveler.

I see facts here but no motivations. Of course I always recommend ditching annual fees, but do you want to earn BA miles? If you are x miles from a reward ticket then of course either spend x on the BA card or buy the miles directly. In general there is no reason to keep around a card that you only opened for the initial points.

As for getting another card. Do you want another card? The Schwab card is basically the best out there: unbeatable unlimited cash back, no foreign transaction fee, and so on. There really isn't anything out there that is strictly better for cash back.

Like I said before about travel, if you are a really frequent traveler for a long period of time (it takes a long time to build up high status), then go for an amex charge or spg card, or a co-branded card for your hotel and airline of choice. If your travel is just a flurry over a short period like you say, don't bother trying to get super high status.

Some people disagree, though, and (like the guy above me) make really good use of airline miles. I think that is a perfectly valid course, in which case I suggest you spend on an Amex MR or Amex SPG card and only open co-branded cards for the bonuses. This gives you the flexibility to get opening bonuses for several airlines and use your MR or SPG points to fill in the gaps.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Magic Underwear posted:

I see facts here but no motivations. Of course I always recommend ditching annual fees, but do you want to earn BA miles? If you are x miles from a reward ticket then of course either spend x on the BA card or buy the miles directly. In general there is no reason to keep around a card that you only opened for the initial points.

As for getting another card. Do you want another card? The Schwab card is basically the best out there: unbeatable unlimited cash back, no foreign transaction fee, and so on. There really isn't anything out there that is strictly better for cash back.

Like I said before about travel, if you are a really frequent traveler for a long period of time (it takes a long time to build up high status), then go for an amex charge or spg card, or a co-branded card for your hotel and airline of choice. If your travel is just a flurry over a short period like you say, don't bother trying to get super high status.

Some people disagree, though, and (like the guy above me) make really good use of airline miles. I think that is a perfectly valid course, in which case I suggest you spend on an Amex MR or Amex SPG card and only open co-branded cards for the bonuses. This gives you the flexibility to get opening bonuses for several airlines and use your MR or SPG points to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the response. You've basically hit the nail on the head as far as motivation goes. The only reason I opened the BA card was because of the 100k miles. I was planning on using those for either interview flights or for a sweet trip somewhere before I start residency. Otherwise I was just planning on using the Schwab card for everything because as you said, the 2% is really tough to beat, but figured I'd check hear for something I might be missing. Maybe a card that has better warranty coverage for high ticket purchases? I've heard Amex is good for that.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for the response. You've basically hit the nail on the head as far as motivation goes. The only reason I opened the BA card was because of the 100k miles. I was planning on using those for either interview flights or for a sweet trip somewhere before I start residency. Otherwise I was just planning on using the Schwab card for everything because as you said, the 2% is really tough to beat, but figured I'd check hear for something I might be missing. Maybe a card that has better warranty coverage for high ticket purchases? I've heard Amex is good for that.

Just an FYI, BA charges hefty YQ (fuel surcharges) on award tickets. Hopefully you knew this going in but it is something good to be aware of when redeeming miles. You're best bet is going to be to try and redeem on another oneworld airline.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Right now I have a CapitalOne Visa card with no rewards (it definitely used to have them!) with a $5800 limit, and an Amex Blue Cash card, on which I rarely meet the spending thingy to get the higher reward levels, with a $6000 limit. I use credit cards to pay for a lot of things like groceries & random purchases, and I pay them off every month.

I'm getting fed up with CapitalOne since they recently charged me a late fee when I wasn't late, and now after I got that waived, they appear to have charged me a financing fee on my balance (which was paid off in full 2 days ago? I don't get it). I've had it for like 7 years, so I may not close it, but My Amex isn't accepted everywhere so I think I'd like to get a Visa/Mastercard that doesn't suck.

I rarely travel. Most of my credit card purchases are groceries and dentist appointments (I have braces so I get to spend $150+ every month! :suicide:). I always pay my card off on time. I'd like to be getting some kind of discount or cash reward if possible. I'd also like to have a company that sends me reminders when my bill is coming due (CapitalOne doesn't seem to have this option). Any suggestions?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

alreadybeen posted:

Just an FYI, BA charges hefty YQ (fuel surcharges) on award tickets. Hopefully you knew this going in but it is something good to be aware of when redeeming miles. You're best bet is going to be to try and redeem on another oneworld airline.

Yup, I was planning on redeeming them on AA.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Right now I have a CapitalOne Visa card with no rewards (it definitely used to have them!) with a $5800 limit, and an Amex Blue Cash card, on which I rarely meet the spending thingy to get the higher reward levels, with a $6000 limit. I use credit cards to pay for a lot of things like groceries & random purchases, and I pay them off every month.

I'm getting fed up with CapitalOne since they recently charged me a late fee when I wasn't late, and now after I got that waived, they appear to have charged me a financing fee on my balance (which was paid off in full 2 days ago? I don't get it). I've had it for like 7 years, so I may not close it, but My Amex isn't accepted everywhere so I think I'd like to get a Visa/Mastercard that doesn't suck.

I rarely travel. Most of my credit card purchases are groceries and dentist appointments (I have braces so I get to spend $150+ every month! :suicide:). I always pay my card off on time. I'd like to be getting some kind of discount or cash reward if possible. I'd also like to have a company that sends me reminders when my bill is coming due (CapitalOne doesn't seem to have this option). Any suggestions?
Yeah Capital one sucks rear end.

The Chase Amazon rewards card is pretty decent for small general expenses. You get 3% rewards for Amazon purchases, 2% for Gas, Restaurants and Drug Stores and 1% everything else. You can cash in rewards at Amazon when you checkout now which is nice, or you can have them send you a check after you accrue enough points. ($25 I think) The only drawback is that it doesn't have higher rewards for groceries (but you could use Blue Cash for those)

I use my Amazon card for gas, eating out and amazon purchases obviously, pay it off every statement cycle and haven't had any problems. There are a ton of email reminders and alerts that you can setup. I think Chase tries to keep the limits on these cards pretty low so don't expect a huge credit line if you get one (like $1000-2000)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I opened an Amazon card in December of last year, and got a $4000 limit. I don't know my FICO score offhand, but I don't have any black marks on my 6-year credit history, but the only real items on it are just credit cards and student loans (no mortgage or auto loans).

I was surprised by how low the $4000 limit was, given that my other two cards are $8500 and $11000 limits. I'd be pissed if they gave me a $1000-2000 limit. I put almost all my spending on my CC (paid off every month) and I'd be maxing the card out every month with a limit that low.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
From what I've seen of the Amazon card, they've given you a pretty high limit, relatively speaking (I've got it too, same limit). Most of the people I've spoken to that have the Amazon card have been extremely pissed off at the credit limit they've been given... sometimes no more than $200, which really is practically useless.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
Yeah. I got a $400 limit on my Amazon card at a time when I was making a reasonable amount of money and had a flawless (but brief) credit record. After 2 years of timely and complete payments every month, they have raised me to the princely sum of $2000. Meanwhile Citi gave me 7k on a brand new card last week.

Judging by the similar experience of others that I've read, it tends to be a bit stingy if you don't have a really strong & long-running credit history.

Jewdicator
Oct 22, 2006
How much of a credit score hit do you take from getting cards for the 40,000 point bonuses and then cancelling them within the year? How many points can you get doing this? Once you get a particular company's promotion, are you no longer eligible for life?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Guinness posted:

I opened an Amazon card in December of last year, and got a $4000 limit. I don't know my FICO score offhand, but I don't have any black marks on my 6-year credit history, but the only real items on it are just credit cards and student loans (no mortgage or auto loans).

I was surprised by how low the $4000 limit was, given that my other two cards are $8500 and $11000 limits. I'd be pissed if they gave me a $1000-2000 limit. I put almost all my spending on my CC (paid off every month) and I'd be maxing the card out every month with a limit that low.

I just applied for one & got it. For comparison if anyone is interested: My "temporary limit" is $2000. My other cards are $5800 & $6000, and my credit history is I think 7 or 8 years old. No black marks, but no installment loans either. I did the freecreditscore.com thing recently and they said my score was 780.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll hold off on closing my older CapitalOne account for a while, but I won't use it anymore once I get this physical card.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I did the freecreditscore.com thing recently and they said my score was 780.

Are those reliable? I thought they inflated it to make you feel good and like their service. I registered for one of those and was also told my credit was super high, also edging near 800 even though I only had 4-5 years of paying off a 1k limit card on time.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Carooe posted:

Yeah. I got a $400 limit on my Amazon card at a time when I was making a reasonable amount of money and had a flawless (but brief) credit record. After 2 years of timely and complete payments every month, they have raised me to the princely sum of $2000. Meanwhile Citi gave me 7k on a brand new card last week.

Judging by the similar experience of others that I've read, it tends to be a bit stingy if you don't have a really strong & long-running credit history.

That's actually kind of hilarious compared to my situation when I opened my Amazon card...

I opened it oh about a month ago. I don't have any debts or blackmarks on my short history. I'm currently unemployed, only have 2 years of credit history when I opened my first CC two years ago under my name alone (Capital One gave me a $15k limit). Amazon gives me a $4k limit, which seems on the higher side of limits they give out.

Clearly they just pick an application, throw a dart at a board and whatever number it hits is the limit they give you.

Oh oh oh... even more hilarious... The card is issued through Chase. I've been a Chase banking customer since they were freaking Chemical Bank, but when I applied for a CC directly through Chase they declined me saying my income didn't really justify any credit, not even their most basic card, when I was gainfully employed.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

USDA Choice posted:

Are those reliable? I thought they inflated it to make you feel good and like their service. I registered for one of those and was also told my credit was super high, also edging near 800 even though I only had 4-5 years of paying off a 1k limit card on time.

I really doubt it, actually. I was very surprised. A year & 2 months ago when I applied for my apartment, it was a 710. I should ask the landlord I just signed a lease with what number he got.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004
quizzle.com will give you a free credit report and Expirian credit score without requiring you to sign up for any extra crap.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

stingray1381 posted:

quizzle.com will give you a free credit report and Expirian credit score without requiring you to sign up for any extra crap.

Credit report, yes. Credit score, no. They give you a score, but it isn't a FICO. FICO is what lenders use in their decisions.

The only way to get a legit FICO score is from myfico.com. They will sell you your Equifax and/or TransUnion FICO score. Experian FICO scores have not been available to consumers since some time in 2009 (with a few exceptions that very few people have access to).

Quizzle will give you an Experian FAKO (fake FICO, look how droll the community is), CreditKarma gives a TransUnion FAKO.

To my knowledge there is no way to get a free true FICO score. Any site that says that either (a) is giving you a FAKO score or (b) is giving you a FICO score but signing you up for some subscription service, making it not free at all.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Even with all this being said, even the score you buy directly form the company may not be the score that the bank is using you judge your credit risk. There are hundreds of risk models and the bank will choose one and buy them in bulk (A1, A2, NextGen, etc.). These are ALL FICOs but could be different depending on context.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

LorneReams posted:

Even with all this being said, even the score you buy directly form the company may not be the score that the bank is using you judge your credit risk. There are hundreds of risk models and the bank will choose one and buy them in bulk (A1, A2, NextGen, etc.). These are ALL FICOs but could be different depending on context.

Very true. I stopped caring about my score and now I only focus on my report. If you have a clean report, the score will follow, no matter what crazy type of score a creditor pulls.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

Credit report, yes. Credit score, no. They give you a score, but it isn't a FICO. FICO is what lenders use in their decisions.

The only way to get a legit FICO score is from myfico.com. They will sell you your Equifax and/or TransUnion FICO score. Experian FICO scores have not been available to consumers since some time in 2009 (with a few exceptions that very few people have access to).

Quizzle will give you an Experian FAKO (fake FICO, look how droll the community is), CreditKarma gives a TransUnion FAKO.

To my knowledge there is no way to get a free true FICO score. Any site that says that either (a) is giving you a FAKO score or (b) is giving you a FICO score but signing you up for some subscription service, making it not free at all.

Ah, good to know.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
I know this goes against the spirit of the thread, but I already have two rewards cards I'm happy with.

I've heard a person should have three cards for optimal credit building, and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for low-interest, no-rewards cards that would be good in cases where I need to spend some money and carry a balance for a few months?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

royalejest posted:

I know this goes against the spirit of the thread, but I already have two rewards cards I'm happy with.

I've heard a person should have three cards for optimal credit building, and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for low-interest, no-rewards cards that would be good in cases where I need to spend some money and carry a balance for a few months?

There is no optimal number of cards, except that at least one is better than none.

As for low APR cards, that is more difficult to find than I thought. All the google results are poo poo, those websites just peddle the same poo poo from BoA, Citi, Chase, Discover, etc. so that they can get a kickback if you apply. None of the big issuers are going to do you much good, imo.

I will tell you what I know: I have a Barclay's Harvard Alumni Association mastercard, and it is 7.24% APR, with 0% APR and 0% (and no fee) balance transfers for the first six months. It also has 0% foreign transaction fee (somewhat rare and really nice to have) and 0% cash advance fee (if you're into that kind of thing).

I find the HAA card to be an exceptional backup/emergency card. The rewards aren't worth talking about, but the APR and other terms are really very good. I'm surprised I don't hear about it more.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

royalejest posted:

I don't know what your locale is, but if you live in Washington State, BECU is an amazingly good credit union, and for a lot more than just credit cards. I use them for all my day-to-day banking and direct deposit, and I just opened up a small-ish auto loan with them with a killer rate. My credit card through them is 6.9% APR, no fees, optional rewards program (for like $25/yr or something, not as good as a true rewards card though so I don't use it), only a 1% transaction fee on international charges using the daily market rate currency conversion, plus I've got an $8500 limit on it.

As far as emergency cards go, it's quite good IMO. If I've ever got a large unplanned expense that might take me a few months to pay off, it'll definitely go on my BECU CC. I also use it for any foreign travel, as it gives me a WAY better USD->Whatever conversion rate than my other CCs, as well as a much better rate than changing cash at a bank even after the 1% transaction fee.

Edit: The other nice thing about BECU is they give you ~6.2% APY on the first $500 you've got in both your checking and savings account - after the first $500 they blend in a more typical 0.25%/0.50% checking/savings rate. But that means they give me over $60/yr just to maintain a $1000 minimum between my checking/savings accounts with them, which I'd be doing already at any bank.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 10, 2011

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Is anyone here a two card or more person? I'm thinking about getting the Amex Preferred Blue Cash card for all of my spending and a citi bank forward card for my eating out/drinking spending. I figure I can buy amazon gift cards at the grocery store and get 6% back on those purchases instead of the 3% I get with the Amazon visa.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ethereal posted:

Is anyone here a two card or more person? I'm thinking about getting the Amex Preferred Blue Cash card for all of my spending and a citi bank forward card for my eating out/drinking spending. I figure I can buy amazon gift cards at the grocery store and get 6% back on those purchases instead of the 3% I get with the Amazon visa.

I have two cards at the moment (well, 3, but I haven't gotten the new one yet). I haven't been too impressed with the Blue Cash rewards, but like I've said, I don't meet the limit to increase them usually. Since AmEx isn't taken everywhere, it's useful to have a Visa or Mastercard. I don't know why else you'd bother, really. Maybe to increase your available credit on your credit report?

The third one is to replace my old Visa, which is terrible.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think I'm gonna try to get a PenFed card soon. I know they're notoriously tight, but even if im only granted a $500 limit, that's still enough to pay for gas every month. I'm also going to request a credit limit increase on my Discover from $1500. I think his should be doable since my history is clean and I haven't carried a balance in over a year.

It'd be nice to get a good Visa or MasterCard, but I can't really find one that has any better rewards than my Discover.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 12, 2011

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
I just got a second card, the Target Red Card since I moved near a Target and you get 5% off everything you buy with it, so it's like free money. Only annoying thing is they're really stingy with their credit limit. I have near flawless credit and make a decent amount of money but they only gave me $500. Anyone else use this card?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sublyme posted:

I just got a second card, the Target Red Card since I moved near a Target and you get 5% off everything you buy with it, so it's like free money. Only annoying thing is they're really stingy with their credit limit. I have near flawless credit and make a decent amount of money but they only gave me $500. Anyone else use this card?

I do. Mine started with 600 then after I used it for a few months they bumped it up to 1200.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
I'm interested in getting my first credit card because it's about drat time.

I am 25, have been gainfully employed since college, and the only thing on my credit history is the car loan I took out three years ago (20k) was paid down until I sold it a few days ago. I checked my credit score/history a few months back and things are looking good -- never late or delinquent on any payment.

I'm not too interested in getting too in-depth with any rewards systems; I just want an all-around decent credit card to begin to round out my credit and use for some larger purchases. I would have gotten the Charles Schwab card that was recommended a few pages back, but it seems it has expired.

I am absolutely terrified of debt (thus having not picked up a credit card before), so I don't plan on carrying a large balance on it or anything.

I've heard AmEx thrown around a lot -- especially Blue and Blue Cash. Any recommendations for a solid, no-fuss card?

As a note, I got rid of my car, so no bonuses involving gas would benefit me in any way. I also don't plan on flying anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

mfaley posted:

I'm interested in getting my first credit card because it's about drat time.

I am 25, have been gainfully employed since college, and the only thing on my credit history is the car loan I took out three years ago (20k) was paid down until I sold it a few days ago. I checked my credit score/history a few months back and things are looking good -- never late or delinquent on any payment.

I'm not too interested in getting too in-depth with any rewards systems; I just want an all-around decent credit card to begin to round out my credit and use for some larger purchases. I would have gotten the Charles Schwab card that was recommended a few pages back, but it seems it has expired.

I am absolutely terrified of debt (thus having not picked up a credit card before), so I don't plan on carrying a large balance on it or anything.

I've heard AmEx thrown around a lot -- especially Blue and Blue Cash. Any recommendations for a solid, no-fuss card?

As a note, I got rid of my car, so no bonuses involving gas would benefit me in any way. I also don't plan on flying anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.

I sort of doubt you would be approved for a Blue or Blue Cash. You might be able to get the Zync, though. Zync is a charge card, so you can't build up any balance. Only problem is it has an annual fee, and a lot of little (optional) addons that aren't worth it for most people.

I think you should find a few credit unions near you and see which one offers the best annual fee-free card. You don't need anything fancy, and in fact you probably wouldn't qualify for anything fancy. CUs are local, usually have good service, and are more likely to give a person with no history a decent card.

There is also the Citi Forward card for students, though traditionally it hasn't been super easy to get, even though it is a student card.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Magic Underwear posted:

I sort of doubt you would be approved for a Blue or Blue Cash. You might be able to get the Zync, though. Zync is a charge card, so you can't build up any balance. Only problem is it has an annual fee, and a lot of little (optional) addons that aren't worth it for most people.

I think you should find a few credit unions near you and see which one offers the best annual fee-free card. You don't need anything fancy, and in fact you probably wouldn't qualify for anything fancy. CUs are local, usually have good service, and are more likely to give a person with no history a decent card.

There is also the Citi Forward card for students, though traditionally it hasn't been super easy to get, even though it is a student card.

Great! Thank you so much for the advice.

I know my credit score is around 700 right now and I'd like to do everything I can to keep it moving in that direction... thus my interest in finally getting a credit card.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So what's everyone's thoughts on the Chase Freedom card?

I got an offer for this today. Right now I have Discover and I use it for everything; I love the rewards I get with them (1% all, 5% select rotating categories). I have 0% APR for the balance of the year or thereabouts and thereafter it will be pretty low.

However I've been considering getting another card to diversify a bit. This Chase card seems decent and a bit of a Discover clone: 1% all rewards, 5% select categories that mostly mirror Discover (but with a few convenient differences). The %back is "points" but they are convertible to cash readily enough and there's a 25k point ($250) signup bonus. Unlike Discover, they don't appear to have anything in the offer or fine print attached stipulating a minimum purchase amount before you rewards activate, which would be perfect as I could still keep using Discover as my primary and get rewards here easily on select purchases.

Beyond that it's 0% APR for a year, 11.99 after. No annual fee. :toot: I don't know if they have as extensive a merchant partnership as Discover (5-10% rewards on clickthru online shopping at tons of places; 5-20% extra on gift cards at many businesses purchased with rewards points).

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
What rewards do you guys usually take with ThankYou points?

Statement credit doesn't seem like a great option (2500 per $15, which turns my 5 points per restaurant dollar into about 3% if I am doing my math right). Or is that pretty good? I never paid much attention to my amazon rewards, honestly, so I'm new to rewards tracking.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Carooe posted:

Statement credit doesn't seem like a great option (2500 per $15, which turns my 5 points per restaurant dollar into about 3% if I am doing my math right). Or is that pretty good? I never paid much attention to my amazon rewards, honestly, so I'm new to rewards tracking.

With Discover you can buy gift cards at a lot of retailers for less than face value...like a $50 gift card for $45. Some have really good deals. I just am waiting til I get one with a good deal for something I'd already be buying. The had Borders cards up there at $25 for $20 but they took them down.

Interestingly Chase Freedom has a lot of the same retailer gift cards for redemption, but ONLY at face value.

I would avoid buying anything in their "store" because it's probably all overpriced.

Does your card allow you to buy gift cards with points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Carooe posted:

$100 giftcard for 10,000 points. It's only available at limited retailers, but Home Depot is one and I can usually spend money there. Also Sony is good for $100 gift cards so if you want a PS3 or TV might go that route.

• Locked thread