Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how blue my belt is.

Congrats!

Fontoyn posted:

:words:

Judo is fun and cardio is very important. My favorite completely non-related cardio training for judo is something like that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7QGK-yTb4&feature=related I take a break after I've done a set of everything though instead of doing another run through it like he does. It really doesn't look that hard until you actually do it!

I was also wondering how good wrestler would be and we had 2 that came to our club and while they were much better than the average white belt, one was may be around orange belt level and the other one around green belt level (and shooting for the legs wasn't prohibited). It's not that hard to sprawl and once your on the ground wrestlers have the same problem than any begginers have when they are faced with chokes and arm bars. Things that are probably very good and very safe to do on the ground in wrestling can put you in a very bad spot in judo.

Basically, they have a huge advantage over newbies, but unless they are state level champions it won't matter that much after some years have passed. The biggest thing going for them most of the time is that they move well/fast and have very good conditionning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
I was planning on really working my cardio this weekend, but of course yesterday's sore throat has developed into a full on cold or something :( Forcing myself to not train while I battle this is gonna be hard, I've really become addicted to those endorphins..

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This picture is awesome, and should be the standard way to show your belt colour in no-gi (minus the glasses of course, that's just dangerous).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

generatrix posted:

This picture is awesome, and should be the standard way to show your belt colour in no-gi (minus the glasses of course, that's just dangerous).

I think this is an amazing idea.

In other news, my new glamorous problem that stops me training (and walking normally) is an ingrown nail on my big toe. It's the first time I've ever had a problem with my nails, and I caught it early, but guess who managed to get an infection anyway!

<-- This guy!!

Seriously, I like to think I have a fairly high pain tolerance, hell, I enjoyed getting my tattoos, but this poo poo really hurts.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This should go in the OP

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

what's with jui jitsu dudes and never shaving. it's like - of all the people - why do you want to grow an awesome goatee?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
To annoy the poo poo out of people who think touching your face is a good thing. Like the shitlord 3 week old white belt I train with who thinks my jaw is the best place to rest his elbow. gently caress that guy.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

To annoy the poo poo out of people who think touching your face is a good thing. Like the shitlord 3 week old white belt I train with who thinks my jaw is the best place to rest his elbow. gently caress that guy.

Uh, in my school we do that a lot. Cross facing, shoulder pressure, pressing your forearm in the throat/jaw. Is that not the norm?

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

henkman posted:

Uh, in my school we do that a lot. Cross facing, shoulder pressure, pressing your forearm in the throat/jaw. Is that not the norm?

I wondered about that too. I use the blade of my forearm with a frame to move partners heads all the time, elbows to dig into their thighs when opening the guard, and our instructor encourages us to use the gi/arms to suffocate the person even if you can't get a choke in while full mounted. It's certainly unpleasant but that's kinda the point!

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

mindtwist posted:

I wondered about that too. I use the blade of my forearm with a frame to move partners heads all the time, elbows to dig into their thighs when opening the guard, and our instructor encourages us to use the gi/arms to suffocate the person even if you can't get a choke in while full mounted. It's certainly unpleasant but that's kinda the point!

Agreed. If you're not cross facing people, you're missing out on pretty much everything you're supposed to be doing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Smegmatron posted:

Eh, I wouldn't be so mad about this. Cross-faces are fair game.

However, putting your knee where my skull and my jaw connect and pressing down is not cool. That poo poo hurts immensely.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Eh, I wouldn't be so mad about this. Cross-faces are fair game.

However, putting your knee where my skull and my jaw connect and pressing down is not cool. That poo poo hurts immensely.

One of the only subs I can pull from guard is to switch from a half triangle (with my leg already over their shoulder and calf on the back of their neck) to a deadskin mask, which is just me grabbing my foot and using the leverage to dig my elbow into the bone there.

It never chokes guys unconscious but it hurts like a bitch. Not for training rolls, though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

what's with jui jitsu dudes and never shaving. it's like - of all the people - why do you want to grow an awesome goatee?

My hobby is "aggressively cuddling dudes". I need a beard to recover whatever shred of masculinity I can retain.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002

imtheism posted:

Agreed. If you're not cross facing people, you're missing out on pretty much everything you're supposed to be doing.

Cool, now I know what it's called. It was one of those things I wasnt taught but picked up intuitively from rolling, when I quickly realized my freakishly long arms are a liability for armbars but useful if applied carefully. where the head goes the body follows!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My hobby is "aggressively cuddling dudes". I need a beard to recover whatever shred of masculinity I can retain.

Beards are also effective for scratching people into subs. Especially for getting people to let go for an armbar or to lift their chin for a choke.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That's a lie. Aggressively cuddling dudes is one of the most manly things you can possibly do. Plus, you can likely beat the piss out of anyone you meet.

You have to offset that hyper-masculinity by doing things like wearing princess sashes and glitter and drinking cosmopolitans.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Fontoyn posted:

what's with jui jitsu dudes and never shaving.
When you grow beard

You grow jujitsu.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

henkman posted:

Doing it to annoy someone into lifting their chin or expose something to give you an opening is cool. I'm down with that. Good tactic.

Doing it with no actual end goal in mind and an expectation that it's going to make someone tap, and therefore leaning your entire body weight into it and just laying there without actually working for anything else at all: gently caress you.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Our competition team trains with all that nasty stuff, as you're bound to run into those kinds of things in comps and it does occasionally work, especially in the lower divisions. That being said, we only really do rear end in a top hat rolling like that with each other - we're certainly not going to hold knee-on-face on the guys who don't really care for competition and just want to do some sweaty groundhugging. Even then, we only train that way during tournament season - it's good to know how to use and defend against dickweed moves in case it comes up, but it's way more important to just have good jiujitsu.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

Doing it to annoy someone into lifting their chin or expose something to give you an opening is cool. I'm down with that. Good tactic.

Doing it with no actual end goal in mind and an expectation that it's going to make someone tap, and therefore leaning your entire body weight into it and just laying there without actually working for anything else at all: gently caress you.

You don't always have to be a dick about it, but cross facing someone is almost always a good idea from side control/mount/knee on belly. If your opponent can't look at you he's going to have a hell of a time reclaiming guard.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002

Death Bucket posted:

Our competition team trains with all that nasty stuff, as you're bound to run into those kinds of things in comps and it does occasionally work, especially in the lower divisions. That being said, we only really do rear end in a top hat rolling like that with each other - we're certainly not going to hold knee-on-face on the guys who don't really care for competition and just want to do some sweaty groundhugging. Even then, we only train that way during tournament season - it's good to know how to use and defend against dickweed moves in case it comes up, but it's way more important to just have good jiujitsu.

Yeah, our classes have a lot of people come for the technique instruction, but only a solid handful of regulars actually stay to roll and pretty much all of them are either training for mma, self defense or jiu jitsu tournaments, so we roll hard. its nothing personal but when the timer's on, if its legal and makes your opponent experience discomfort, we do it

edit: speaking of which, i'm definitely in love with this sport and I want to get into competition soon; our teacher encourages everyone do it at least once to experience the psychological difference, anyway. I think I'll wait until I have a stripe or two first, though

mindtwist fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 3, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Illegal Username posted:

This should go in the OP

This is in the OP

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
So I wrote a while back my rib was hurting. I was stubborn and didn't stop practicing because I didn't think it was that serious. Luckily I was right and it's healed by now. Friday was the first class where I could practice and not feel like someone landed a sledgehammer on me every time I had my chest touched.

Speaking of getting injured, I think my body is better overall at taking a beating, so I can shrug off pain the next day and go back to class.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

zalmoxes posted:

So I wrote a while back my rib was hurting. I was stubborn and didn't stop practicing because I didn't think it was that serious. Luckily I was right and it's healed by now. Friday was the first class where I could practice and not feel like someone landed a sledgehammer on me every time I had my chest touched.

Speaking of getting injured, I think my body is better overall at taking a beating, so I can shrug off pain the next day and go back to class.

That,s great. I had the same experience. 1 year after the incident the rib started to hurt again and took like 2 months to heal (when I finally had to stop training for 2 weeks because of finals) so I suggest you stop for a week or two if it ever hurts again.

--

Two days before I go train at a new club for the summer (cause mine is closed) I'm sort of stressed of training with a new coach since I only have experience at 1 club. Can't wait to see what is different, etc. I just hope it's as fun and relaxed as the one I'm going to right now!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 3, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yamashita is left handed. Ugh. I just can't catch a break.

Lazy Dog
May 23, 2003

rock out with your cock out

Nierbo posted:

Just mirror the grips? Shouldn't be too hard to follow..

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Lazy Dog posted:

Just mirror the grips? Shouldn't be too hard to follow..

Yeah, but I'm easily confused. I'm the homer simpson of the judo world. I have trouble doing what someone tells me, let alone the opposite of it, but the principles are the same so I know I shouldn't complain too much. I guess in a few years I could start playing left handed to put all my training partners off their game and I'll have the perfect book to start that with.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Right vs. Lefty is so hard for the righty. Worth learning.

Lazy Dog
May 23, 2003

rock out with your cock out

Nierbo posted:

Yeah, but I'm easily confused. I'm the homer simpson of the judo world. I have trouble doing what someone tells me, let alone the opposite of it, but the principles are the same so I know I shouldn't complain too much. I guess in a few years I could start playing left handed to put all my training partners off their game and I'll have the perfect book to start that with.

Eh, don't worry about it too much; I for the life of me still have problems doing forward throws with a left hand grip. Just grind it out for now, you may find something out.

Anyway, have some Yamashita vids breaking down osoto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zFicAVezU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V8odHAc1bo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-rVNeec44

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Loving it. Thanks.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king
After I tore my ACL I started wrestling right foot forward when doing drills and light sparring and stuff - as my left couldn't take the impact on the front of the knee for over a year.

I got pretty good at hitting different moves in different directions, and it definitely helps my stand up to be able to shoot effectively off either knee. Though, the moves do vary a little bit.

Left leg forward is usually doubles, swing/regular singles, uchi. Right leg I tend towards firemans, high crotch, low singles, ankle picks, head and arm throws. Mostly it depends on their stance, but it's always nice to have options to go either way.

If only I could get that ambidextrous in my bjj game :q:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Lazy Dog posted:

Eh, don't worry about it too much; I for the life of me still have problems doing forward throws with a left hand grip. Just grind it out for now, you may find something out.

Anyway, have some Yamashita vids breaking down osoto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zFicAVezU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V8odHAc1bo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-rVNeec44

We trained O Soto at BJJ the other day. This is a big help. I'm still trying to work out how people don't die from judo, though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

The most valuable stuff in the masterclass books are the little things like how to alter a grip or where to place you hip during a throw. That stuff doesn't require you to worry about left/right. Just try to pick up a few of the small things and try them out in randori until they work. For me it was the Tenri University style head lift (on page 28 in my edition). That little tip transformed my Judo and made me really appreciate how easy it is to control somebody just by getting control of their head.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

We trained O Soto at BJJ the other day. This is a big help. I'm still trying to work out how people don't die from judo, though.

Practising breakfalls a lot. The teachers at my club also get after you if during a throw you aren't falling properly. Also learning techniques and during randori we support the person we're throwing so they don't fall as hard. I've gotten more hurt in BJJ because of overzealous arm locks than I have in Judo throws.

Come to think of it I don't know if I would want to do judo with the kind of people that go to the BJJ club I attend because they would throw like it's a competition every day.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Office Sheep posted:

Come to think of it I don't know if I would want to do judo with the kind of people that go to the BJJ club I attend because they would throw like it's a competition every day.

I get hurt more when we do judo throws at BJJ than when we do them at Judo. It's about as painful with BJJ people as it is with white belts. Once people get to orange or green belt their throws start to hurt a whole lot less.

Also yeah, BJJ tends to attract more of the I GOTTA SLAM YOU AS HARD AS I loving CAN EVERY loving TIME WE TRAIN ANYTHING! type of people

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
We don't get to do standup very much in our gym. It's really small and if there's more than like 4 guys we just don't have enough room to do it safely. Kinda sucks, but I guess we spend most of our time on the ground anyway

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mindtwist posted:

We don't get to do standup very much in our gym. It's really small and if there's more than like 4 guys we just don't have enough room to do it safely. Kinda sucks, but I guess we spend most of our time on the ground anyway

Is this a question?

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Is this a question?

no, it's idle conversation. whats the problem?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mindtwist posted:

whats your motherfucking problem?
SQUASH THE BEEF, SQUASH THE BEEF.

Thoguh posted:

The most valuable stuff in the masterclass books are the little things like how to alter a grip or where to place you hip during a throw. That stuff doesn't require you to worry about left/right. Just try to pick up a few of the small things and try them out in randori until they work. For me it was the Tenri University style head lift (on page 28 in my edition). That little tip transformed my Judo and made me really appreciate how easy it is to control somebody just by getting control of their head.
Cool, thanks. I'll try not to be a drama queen next time.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mindtwist posted:

no, it's idle conversation. whats the problem?

I wasn't sure if you had a new question about training space or if it was following the throws conversation above.

• Locked thread