Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Does the Cuisinart require the plunger be in the feed tube in order to process? It seems like it would be an annoying safety feature.

I have a Magimix which is amazing, and I believe sold under the Cuisinart brand name in the US. It does not require the plunger to be in the feed tube to operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Does the Cuisinart require the plunger be in the feed tube in order to process? It seems like it would be an annoying safety feature.

It is the MOST ANNOYING "safety" feature. It's made me hate my 7-cup (at home) and 14-cup (at work) cuisinarts for life. Next time, I'm sticking with a Kitchenaid. The worst of it is that the cuisinart plunger has to lock in, so it's not even quick to take off and put back on. It's loving obnoxious.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm having trouble deciding on if the Kitchenaid 760 is enough of an improvement over the 750 to get 40 more of my dollars. The only real difference seems to be the extra midsized bowl and the wider mouth. Is that correct?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm having trouble deciding on if the Kitchenaid 760 is enough of an improvement over the 750 to get 40 more of my dollars. The only real difference seems to be the extra midsized bowl and the wider mouth. Is that correct?

Don't bother. Get the 750.

edit: There's no reason to bother with a 10 cup bowl and the extra-wide feed tubes are more annoying than they're worth

edit: VVVV okay, that's better, then

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 7, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

No, only the lid needs to be locked in place. You can remove the pusher thingy and add more ingredients while it's running.

e: There are two parts that lift up from the lid and one of them is removable during operation.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Happy Hat posted:

I don't understand that there's not more love for the Peugeot grinders.. The cars are crap, but the grinders are awesome!

Or for a spicegrinder a zassenhaus - because holy gently caress!

I like Peugeot grinders.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I keep seeing mention of huge kitchenaid and cuisinart discounts for food processors. Are these seasonal things or do they pop up randomly? I'd love a large food processor that isn't part of my blender.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure I bought mine through a daily deal that popped up on the front page. Keep an eye open, it's easy to find appliances on sale if you just give it enough time.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

Iron Lung posted:

I keep seeing mention of huge kitchenaid and cuisinart discounts for food processors. Are these seasonal things or do they pop up randomly? I'd love a large food processor that isn't part of my blender.

The store Tuesday Morning has a $399 KitchenAid for $179 this week. It may be good online, too.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Psycho_Puppy posted:

The store Tuesday Morning has a $399 KitchenAid for $179 this week. It may be good online, too.

Thanks! I actually searched and found this guy: http://goo.gl/PnP5K on Amazon for $175 + a $20 rebate. The only difference between the two is the one on Tuesday Morning has the giant wide mouth which seems excessive for my needs. Now I just need to see if I can convince myself I need a $155 food processor...

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I got mine for something ridiculous like $90 because they were clearing out the red ones at Future Shop here in Canada. I'm glad I bought the 12 cup model. I wasn't sure how much I would use it, but it's come in handy a number of times. Lately I have been making pizza dough, pastry dough, and grinding meat for burgers.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Any recommendations for a hand-powered, not too expensive, sausage stuffer? I have an attachment for my meat grinder, but I really don't like how it chops (and heats) the stuffing again on its way into the casing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

schwein11 posted:

Any recommendations for a hand-powered, not too expensive, sausage stuffer? I have an attachment for my meat grinder, but I really don't like how it chops (and heats) the stuffing again on its way into the casing.

You're not using the stuffer with the grinding die on there are you?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

schwein11 posted:

Yeah, the problem with the grinder/stuffer attachments is that the meat goes through the auger again; I like having a separate stuffer. I don't think that you'll get any ultra-cheap stuffers, prices really seem to have shot up. That in mind, Northern Tool has a 5 lb stuffer for less than $100. Check out The Sausage Maker, Butcher & Packer, Allied Kenco and Amazon and see what's around. TSM stuff seems pretty good, and Northern Tool has a fairly good reputation.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You're not using the stuffer with the grinding die on there are you?

I am, the coarsest one I have. I don't want to, but I've found I can't get the mixture to reliably move through the stuffing attachment without the blade being used, and the blade doesn't stay put without a die attached. It's a pretty cheap grinder I think, it's fine for the grinding part of things, but it really sucks for stuffing.

And thanks for the rec's Pigsfeet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I recently joined a CSA and have been getting small bags of unground wheat and rye that I would like to make into flour. Grain mills run a huge range of prices. Are any of the grain mills < ~$100 worthwhile or should I hold out for a more expensive one?

My neighbor (also in CSA) has been talking about going in together on a grain mill attachment for his kitchenaid mixer. Are these good? The ratings on amazon seem pretty decent.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for all new metal cooking utensils (ladles, slotted spoons, etc). What's one of the best brands? Rosle, OXO SteeL, All-Clad, something else?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ikea does some pretty decent metal kitchen equipment like ladles/spatulas etc.

Shamelessly quoting myself:

Steakandchips posted:

Aside from my pans and knives, the thing I use the most in the kitchen is the drat spatula. A good spatula makes handling food a breeze, instead of loving about with a fork and ruining that perfectly cooked bit of fish or whatever.

For those of you with weak, feeble, limpdick wooden or plastic spatulas, BOW DOWN AND PAY OBEISANCE TO THE MIGHT AND GLORY OF METAL SPATULA:

Click here to view the full image

Burnt stuff stuck to the edge of this baby? No loving problem, metal scrubber and it's as good as new.

Does it discolour or warp with frequent use? Like gently caress it does.

Do you have to find a special place/plate/bowl/counterspace to rest this motherfucer on while cooking? gently caress no. Lean it against the pan or pot, go on, it can take it.

Does it give a gently caress if you reach into your hot-as-a-furnace oven with it to gently caress about with stuff on your thermonuclear cast iron pan? Hell no, it LIVES for that poo poo.

Metal spatulas rule. Go get one now.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
All-clad makes great cookware, but using those same handles on their tools makes them incredibly uncomfortable to use often (such as a whisk of theirs I think I eventually just threw out).

Rosle makes some great looking and pretty functional, although expensive, metal tools that all work together on various racks for storage (or display, considering I think that's their main selling point). I own a few of their open ended whisks that I really like, but I don't see any need to have matching spoons, etc.

Really, the best way is to pick and choose each tool individually based on your preferences. That way your collection is more personal and more functional for you. However, if you're more into looks than functionality (your username is Prada Slut), I'd recommend the Rosle. They look cool and they work well (at least the few that I've used).

OXO makes very comfortable tools, but I find some of them more difficult to clean, especially when they have those little plastic/rubber ridges. I prefer all metal (some plastic such as a y-shaped peeler and spatulas (one piece preferably)).

akushlan
Jun 20, 2005

Life's Tough Decisions
Putting together my first kitchen set for myself (new apartment)

Recommended cookware set? Preferably <$200, though willing to go up to $300 if it'll cook me pure orgasms.

Recommended Knives? Set or Individual? Types and/or Brands? No idea what this should cost me...

In Short, Help!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
On a budget, we usually recommend Victorinox Forschner knives, the 8" chef's knife is like $30 and Cook's Illustrated can't stop gushing over how great of a deal it is for a great-performing knife. For your knife essentials you'll need an 8 inch chef knife and a 3.5 inch paring knife, and maybe an optional third knife (serrated bread knife or utility knife, whatever)

You need one and only one non-stick cookware, that will be a non-stick skillet for eggs. Since non-sticks always fail after a couple years of use, just get a cheap piece of poo poo since you're going to replace it again anyways

You need one stainless steel skillet. This will be your do-almost-everything-last-almost-forever skillet. If you're on a budget get one with an aluminum disc bottom. These will perform better than plain stainless steel and won't be as expensive as the tri-ply versions.

You need one saucepan. Same comment as above.

One stockpot, probably with an aluminum disc bottom. This is where you make your stews and pasta.

That's probably all you need for cooking vessels. Essential utensils will be tongs, a spatula and a wooden spoon. Keep in mind you can't use metal utensils on your non-stick skillet so either get silicone/nylon utensils to use on everything or get metal utensils (last forever) and just use your wooden spoon/spatula/turner on the non-stick or something.

We should really make a cheap starting cookware set FAQ in the op since this question comes up so often

edit: You need a chopping board, plastic or wood. Glasss will dull your knives quickly. Also will probably need a peeler.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 4, 2011

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

edit: You need a chopping board, plastic or wood. Glasss will dull your knives quickly. Also will probably need a peeler.

Good recommendations, but one quick note. You need two cutting boards, one plastic AND one wood. Never put any raw meat or poultry on a wood board, it is far too porous and you will not be able to clean it all out. Get a plastic board for your meats and a wooden one for vegetables, bread and anything else.

I also highly recommend a good high heat silicone spatula. They are fantastic and can withstand really hot temperatures. I've had one for about 5 years and it looks brand new.

Lastly, buy a cast iron pan and DO NOT WASH it with soap. You will thank yourself for it. Best $10-15 you can spend in the kitchen.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wood kills bacteria. See this UC Davis website:

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

quote:

Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. Our safety concern was that bacteria such as Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella, which might contaminate a work surface when raw meat was being prepared, ought not remain on the surface to contaminate other foods that might be eaten without further cooking. We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.

There's a natural anti-bacterial property of wood: bacteria in the tiny gouges get killed whereas in plastic they persist. I'd say you should do the opposite: wooden board for raw meat only, plastic board for vegetables.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm getting a big-rear end 2" thick maple chopping block that takes up an entire counter, so that's good to hear.

logical fallacy posted:

Really, the best way is to pick and choose each tool individually based on your preferences. That way your collection is more personal and more functional for you. However, if you're more into looks than functionality (your username is Prada Slut), I'd recommend the Rosle. They look cool and they work well (at least the few that I've used).

Not gonna lie, I'll pay extra for something that looks nice. My counters are completely clear except for a utensil crock and a fruit dish, so they're going to double as decorative pieces as well.

I did play with some Rosles and All-Clads, and I like the heft they have.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm getting a big-rear end 2" thick maple chopping block that takes up an entire counter, so that's good to hear.

Not gonna lie, I'll pay extra for something that looks nice. My counters are completely clear except for a utensil crock and a fruit dish, so they're going to double as decorative pieces as well.

I did play with some Rosles and All-Clads, and I like the heft they have.

There is a Rosle sale going on right now at gilt.com.

Also I was looking for rolling pin recommendations. I'm a beginner and I would mostly be using it for pie crust or turnovers. I saw this and was interested because it sees like it would make getting the right thickness easy but I am a sucker for gimmicky kitchen poo poo. Any opinions?

flynt fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 5, 2011

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

akushlan posted:

Putting together my first kitchen set for myself (new apartment)

Recommended cookware set? Preferably <$200, though willing to go up to $300 if it'll cook me pure orgasms.

Recommended Knives? Set or Individual? Types and/or Brands? No idea what this should cost me...

In Short, Help!

Go for this cookware set: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

Cooks Illustrated or some well known magazine rated it nearly indistinguishable from the similar looking All-Clad pieces. I am super happy with my set. Food browns nicely, really takes effort to burn something. I was surprised at how easily they clean off, even with minimal or no soaking. I remember the torture it was to clean my mom's old pots and pans. That part actually convinced her to get a set as well and she loves them too.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

flynt posted:

There is a Rosle sale going on right now at gilt.com.

Also I was looking for rolling pin recommendations. I'm a beginner and I would mostly be using it for pie crust or turnovers. I saw this and was interested because it sees like it would make getting the right thickness easy but I am a sucker for gimmicky kitchen poo poo. Any opinions?

I use a basic french rolling pin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I use a wine bottle.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

geetee posted:

Go for this cookware set: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

Cooks Illustrated or some well known magazine rated it nearly indistinguishable from the similar looking All-Clad pieces. I am super happy with my set. Food browns nicely, really takes effort to burn something. I was surprised at how easily they clean off, even with minimal or no soaking. I remember the torture it was to clean my mom's old pots and pans. That part actually convinced her to get a set as well and she loves them too.

poo poo, I'd have gotten that Tramontina set a couple months ago when I was shopping around - the local Marshall's has had the occasional single piece, but always at way too high of a price, so I never bothered looking for the set.

Instead, I wound up with this set:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-515668/Sur-La-Table-Tri-Ply-Stainless-Steel

Honestly, I'm extremely happy with it. Especially since I got it on sale for an extra $50 off.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Can anyone recommend a moderately priced ($30-40) tagine? I'm looking for a real terracotta one, something decent sized (enough for 3-4 people say)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a significant difference between the All-Clad Tri-Ply and the D5? I know the D5 has more layers, but how much of a difference does it make?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a significant difference between the All-Clad Tri-Ply and the D5? I know the D5 has more layers, but how much of a difference does it make?

Dunno, but the D5's have rolled lips, which make for easier/cleaner pouring.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Apropos of Steve Yun's excellent kitchen-outfitting post earlier, (what the hell is s a skillet exactly anyway?), I've had a Tefal non-stick frying pan which has seen a fair amount of use for over 10 years now, and the surface is perfect. I've been careful about using the right utensils, but it has not otherwise been namby-pambied.

As I probably mentioned earlier, the Tefal Airbake loaf tins are loving amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Safety Engineer posted:

I know this is a couple of pages back but I hadn't read this thread in awhile.
I love my oxo read-from-above cup and get annoyed using any other type now, so I had to test this out. The oxo is completely accurate unless every other measuring cup (I even did it with some 1/4 and 1/2 metal measuring cups) in my house are off by the exact same amount.

Which size is yours? I tested my 1qt again and the line for 1c (viewed from above) doesn't line up with 8oz line. Manufacturing defect? I dunno, it's painted on so it could be off

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

taqueso posted:

I recently joined a CSA and have been getting small bags of unground wheat and rye that I would like to make into flour. Grain mills run a huge range of prices. Are any of the grain mills < ~$100 worthwhile or should I hold out for a more expensive one?

My neighbor (also in CSA) has been talking about going in together on a grain mill attachment for his kitchenaid mixer. Are these good? The ratings on amazon seem pretty decent.

Quoting because I'd like an answer, too. I don't have much experience with these.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

feelz good man posted:

Can anyone recommend a moderately priced ($30-40) tagine? I'm looking for a real terracotta one, something decent sized (enough for 3-4 people say)

Sur La Table has some that are surprisingly inexpensive:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-242925/Glazed-Terra-Cotta-Tagines

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
akushlan, if you can spare $150, the Tramontina cookware set that was posted above is a great deal, and might cost about as much as the bare bones set I suggested earlier. On top of that, it's tri-ply.

akushlan
Jun 20, 2005

Life's Tough Decisions

Steve Yun posted:

akushlan, if you can spare $150, the Tramontina cookware set that was posted above is a great deal, and might cost about as much as the bare bones set I suggested earlier. On top of that, it's tri-ply.

That definitely looks like my best bet, I am deciding between that set and this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cuisina...3&skuId=1600462

(I have a $200 Best Buy gift card I haven't found a use for yet...and apparently they sell pots and pans...)

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

akushlan posted:

That definitely looks like my best bet, I am deciding between that set and this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cuisina...3&skuId=1600462

(I have a $200 Best Buy gift card I haven't found a use for yet...and apparently they sell pots and pans...)
I have the 7-piece Cuisinart MultiClad set, and really love it. I've only had it about 7 months, but so far, it has performed fantastically. If you can avoid scuffing them up too quickly, the polished metal interiors really help with cleanup, and the brushed metal exteriors hide scratches.

The price for the set on Best Buy is slightly ridiculous, however. Amazon has the 12-piece Multiclad set for $227 (vs $300), and the 7-piece for $160. I'm not impressed by the extra pans in the 12-piece set vs. the 7, and I think if you're going to get a larger set, the Tramontina set has a better sized items. For example, who wants an 8" stainless saute pan? At that size, you're probably doing omelets or crepes, and for that you'll want nonstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
But hey, you already have a $200 gift card, why not blow it on the 7 piece set

• Locked thread