Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FatCow posted:

I believe hybrids are blanket banned by SCCA. Might want to double check that.

I don't think so... maybe at Nationals, but I can't imagine most local groups having a problem with it. We've had a CR-Z run, and I think a Prius ran for novelty's sake a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

Vids from today in El Paso. I had a pretty poor showing today. I finally beat the guy I'd been gunning for all season last event, and today he destroys me. :( But I just got a GoPro to play with, so have some videos.

Tire Cam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkONy_PIyA

Roof Cam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFoqelR-3WE

In-car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bec-ipVeJos

It's a two day event, so there's more tomorrow.

I love how they tape down the edges of the course. For participants they've all walked through and know where every turn is but when you're just watching a bunch of different autocross videos on the internet it does make it seem more like a real race when you actually see the borders.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Even if hybrids are banned, couldn't he just go run the courses for fun? I mean, really, unless the people running it are complete cocks, I don't think they'd have a problem letting it run. Trucks and minivans and other easily tippable cars, yeah, I can see banning those, but any Prius or Insight or whatever should be a-ok.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Looks like it isn't in this years rule book. I could have sworn I saw it last year though. If it was there I would imagine the issue being with the HV electrical system not general courseworthyness.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 27, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Disciple of Pain posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't grab my helmet and go autocross my '11 Honda Insight? I mean, I know it is slow as hell, but I miss autocrossing. I figured with a CVT, electric steering, and dime-thin fuel-saver tires it might actually be fun. Car is pretty light, I'd imagine lighter than the mkIV VWs I used to run...

The only reason my dad's coworker didn't have his Nissan Leaf on the track at the last event I was at was because he's (probably rightfully) worried about Nissan voiding warranties.

Well, that, and as funny as the Leaf would be, his NC Miata on sticky Hankooks is probably more fun :v:

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

FatCow posted:

Looks like it isn't in this years rule book. I could have sworn I saw it last year though. If it was there I would imagine the issue being with the HV electrical system not general courseworthyness.

You might have been thinking of Electric Vehicles.
Those have an outright blanket ban right now due to the fact the SCCA has no reasonable way of classing them (beyond stock that is).

i have a friend on the PAC (Prepared Advisory Comity) and they had an interesting concern if someone had gone completely crazy with an EV build, just enough batt to get through 2 runs, etc.. it would entirely bypass all current competition rules, as they're based on displacement/weight at their basis across the board.

How do you factor no displacement in a more displacement=more weight classing system?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shane86 posted:

How do you factor no displacement in a more displacement=more weight classing system?

kW ratings? In R/C cars with brushed motors, it was always classified by number of turns and degrees of advance (27 turns and 24 degrees was "stock", anything else was "modified", with 19 turns becoming a common in-between spec). Brushless motors don't have the timing aspect, so it just became number of turns, but in both of those scenarios, the physical size of the electric motor is fixed to a 540-spec motor. Nominal battery voltage is limited as well - the two big groupings being 4.8V (4-cell NiCd/NiMH or single-cell LiPo) and 7.2V (6-cell NiCd/NiMH or two-cell LiPo).

The problem is, in real electric cars, you can't really put class rules around those because everyone does their electric car a different way. Different cars may have wildly different nominal voltages from their battery packs, but due to other configuration changes, may have very similar real-world performance around an autocross track where range is not critical.

I think they'll just need to rely on performance benchmarking of the cars themselves to slot them in, at least for the production cars - there's no reason you can't find somewhere good to slot in a bone-stock Leaf or one without any drivetrain modifications, for example. Homebrew electric conversions become far more difficult to classify.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

shane86 posted:

You might have been thinking of Electric Vehicles.
Those have an outright blanket ban right now due to the fact the SCCA has no reasonable way of classing them (beyond stock that is).
The Tesla is classed a SS and ASP in the 2011 rulebook

Hybrids are certainly legal.
The Prius is listed in H Stock.
http://www.scca.org/documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20SCCA%20Solo%20Rules.pdf

nm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 27, 2011

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
There was a guy racing his CR-Z at the San Antonio/Spokes autocross yesterday. He seemed to have some fun with it, though I don't know what times he was turning in.

Here are some snaps from the grid.
Absolutely ridiculous Porsche Boxter w/ carbon fibre hood/trunk lid, big wing, front aero, body kit, nearly-open exhaust, big tires, etc. I'm sure he was turning in fast times, but it wasn't nearly as impressive/awesome sounding as the Cobb STi or a supercharged Lotus Elise.

(Click for big)

MS3 convention. Not pictured: The other 4+ MS3's that were also running at the same time (counting my own).

(Click for big)

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 28, 2011

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only reason my dad's coworker didn't have his Nissan Leaf on the track at the last event I was at was because he's (probably rightfully) worried about Nissan voiding warranties.

Well, that, and as funny as the Leaf would be, his NC Miata on sticky Hankooks is probably more fun :v:

Actually, the bum has no plans to autocross the Leaf, even though a bunch of us are bugging him to bring it out.

Maybe after the 'new' has worn off he'll reconsider. I rode to lunch in it the other day, nice little car, the A/C is great.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

MetaJew posted:

Here are some snaps from the grid.
Absolutely ridiculous Porsche Boxter w/ carbon fibre hood/trunk lid, big wing, front aero, body kit, nearly-open exhaust, big tires, etc. I'm sure he was turning in fast times, but it wasn't nearly as impressive/awesome sounding as the Cobb STi or a supercharged Lotus Elise.

(Click for big)

This thing is so gaudy and ridiculous, it's awesome

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Actually, the bum has no plans to autocross the Leaf, even though a bunch of us are bugging him to bring it out.

Maybe after the 'new' has worn off he'll reconsider. I rode to lunch in it the other day, nice little car, the A/C is great.

Ha, clearly he's changed his story since I talked with him at the road course event...of course, he was also busy giving my dad crap for being slow. Must be all of that fame from landing in an AZCentral article :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ride along with the current national champion in X-Prepared at the recent divisional in El Toro, as he makes everyone else (except Keisel) look slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smop0P7GkZ4

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Ride along with the current national champion in X-Prepared at the recent divisional in El Toro, as he makes everyone else (except Keisel) look slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smop0P7GkZ4

Are you a regular at the LA area events? I try and make it to at least one autox a month, usually SCCA, in my red STI but I didn't do the divisional or the pro as I've been traveling a lot for work lately.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lazor posted:

Are you a regular at the LA area events? I try and make it to at least one autox a month, usually SCCA, in my red STI but I didn't do the divisional or the pro as I've been traveling a lot for work lately.

Nope, I've never run there (video is NOT me!), but I really want to get out to an El Toro event, everything I've seen and heard about that site says it's completely amazing and awesome.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Nope, I've never run there (video is NOT me!), but I really want to get out to an El Toro event, everything I've seen and heard about that site says it's completely amazing and awesome.

Ahh I see, I thought it was you riding along in the video. El Toro is awesome, it's so huge and grippy. I've seen events there where they have a huge 70+ second autox course, a practice slalom, a practice skidpad, a kart track for the kiddies, and two evo school courses all running at the same time. Eventually they have plans to turn it into a park but Orange County probably won't have money to start that for several more years. Hope you can make it out before then.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lazor posted:

Eventually they have plans to turn it into a park but Orange County probably won't have money to start that for several more years. Hope you can make it out before then.

Tell those fuckers that it's already a park. A motorsports park!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
What's the best way to lookup events in the Seattle area?

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

http://www.wwscc.org/schedule.html

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Holy crap, there's an auto-x 30 miles away on Sunday! Guess I'm popping my cherry :P

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 1, 2011

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Holy crap, there's an auto-x 30 miles away on Sunday! Guess I'm having my popping my cherry :P
Bring an extra $25 because your going to have to join the bscc(unless your a member of another wwscc affiliated club), and pre-register to save $10.

http://www.bscc.net/index.php?view=details&id=24%3Aautocross-kitsup-kup-5&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=30

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

shodanjr_gr posted:

Holy crap, there's an auto-x 30 miles away on Sunday! Guess I'm popping my cherry :P

Slight derail, but are you taking a ferry from downtown or do you live in that area? I've never done the whole ferry thing and was just wondering what time you'd leave at/ how long it takes to get there, etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Why is the only auto-x in nor-cal over 100 miles away from me on 4th of July weekend?

Dammit.

(Also, why are auto-xs here always on Sunday? That's my day of rest, like as in I don't want to wake up at 5 am to drive to a site, change tires, run, change tires, go home, go to bed. That is what Saturday is for)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Oxytocin posted:

Slight derail, but are you taking a ferry from downtown or do you live in that area? I've never done the whole ferry thing and was just wondering what time you'd leave at/ how long it takes to get there, etc.

Actually I'm gonna drive around. I got not clue about Ferrys and stuff so I guess I'll just wake up 1 hour earlier to make up for the lost time. The long way around is approximately 70 miles.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Have any of you guys been to the Houston SCCA events recently? It looks like they've moved their events to Baytown, and it's $45. Do they still only do 4 runs, or have they stopped being such dicks?

There's one this weekend, but if it's $20 more than SASCA and two runs less, I'll save my money.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nm posted:

Why is the only auto-x in nor-cal over 100 miles away from me on 4th of July weekend?

Dammit.

(Also, why are auto-xs here always on Sunday? That's my day of rest, like as in I don't want to wake up at 5 am to drive to a site, change tires, run, change tires, go home, go to bed. That is what Saturday is for)

Because AutoX is a religious experience! (If you're doing it right).

Besides, when I get home after getting there on Saturday, setting up a course, then help run the event on Sunday, swap tires at both ends, Drive my runs, then pack up the trailer and head home, I rest like a motherfucker. I don't think I've ever slept so good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

Besides, when I get home after getting there on Saturday, setting up a course, then help run the event on Sunday, swap tires at both ends, Drive my runs, then pack up the trailer and head home, I rest like a motherfucker. I don't think I've ever slept so good.
I have to wake up before 6am on Mondays. I'd rest like a motherfucker, but I have to get up so drat early.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Tell those fuckers that it's already a park. A motorsports park!

Exactly! A well used one at that. It's in use for driving events almost every weekend, and it acts as the Top Gear US test track and was the setting for Ken Block's first "gymkhana" video. They should at least save one corner of it as a driving playground if they do ever get the funds to tear up the runways, I mean we only really use a small portion of it anyway to set up an autox course.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Weeee, went to my first autox event today at Bremerton Sportsway, hosted by the BSCC. Even though the event had huge attendance, we all got 5 runs in per session. It was an HUGE amount of fun and I'm definetely doing it again and hopefully sucking less.

Below are my findings:
a)BCSS was an extremely welcoming community. Everyone was giving me tips, codriving w me and generally helping me have a blast. Kudos to the 60 yo lady in with the Porsche that let me codrive with her and simply BLASTED through the track. I've never felt physically unable to move from my car seat while driving till that time.

b) Walk the track. Then walk it again. Then walk it 3 more times. Then spend your first run actually finding your way through the track (and your race line) instead of being a :rice: moron like me and trying to go for top speed then missing half the gates on your first two runs and ending with half-century long finish times.

c) Brake early and ease into the turn. My bane today was braking too late in the two 180 turns at the ends of the track and then having to fight the understeer.

d) A subaru outback is a force to be reckoned with on the track if the driver is good. Seriously, this guy was putting dedicated track cars to shame...

e) For the love of god, bring some sunscreen. My arms, head and neck are now a crispy red due to the Washington sun.

f) the GT-AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGG is an absolutely terrifying car on the track.

g) auto-x rules and I am hooked.

sk8bored
May 23, 2007
Here is a vid from our first event a couple months ago. I need to find the ones with better audio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfPkwlCQi_Q
Added one from last year in the Elise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCEov8c8uk

sk8bored fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 4, 2011

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

shodanjr_gr posted:

Weeee, went to my first autox event today at Bremerton Sportsway, hosted by the BSCC. Even though the event had huge attendance, we all got 5 runs in per session. It was an HUGE amount of fun and I'm definetely doing it again and hopefully sucking less.

A) Most autocross groups are very welcoming communities. it kind of goes with sport, being so social in nature.

B) This is true. But at big events where you can have upwards of nearly 3 days to walk the course... you can easily start to over think things. If you can, walk with someone who's more experienced and talk to them. they'll have plenty of insight on how to take each element... but don't push. I need at least one walk to myself to really think about my own line.

C) "Slow in, Fast out" is the motto.

D) Just about any car is a force to be reckoned with when you have an excellent driver behind the wheel. Oddball cars just make it that much more apparent/awesome :D

E) hat too... keeps the sun off your face, and your helmet hair out of pictures

G) Welcome to the addiction, it's all downhill from here :D

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Below are my findings:
a)BCSS was an extremely welcoming community. Everyone was giving me tips, codriving w me and generally helping me have a blast. Kudos to the 60 yo lady in with the Porsche that let me codrive with her and simply BLASTED through the track. I've never felt physically unable to move from my car seat while driving till that time.

b) Walk the track. Then walk it again. Then walk it 3 more times. Then spend your first run actually finding your way through the track (and your race line) instead of being a :rice: moron like me and trying to go for top speed then missing half the gates on your first two runs and ending with half-century long finish times.

c) Brake early and ease into the turn. My bane today was braking too late in the two 180 turns at the ends of the track and then having to fight the understeer.

d) A subaru outback is a force to be reckoned with on the track if the driver is good. Seriously, this guy was putting dedicated track cars to shame...

e) For the love of god, bring some sunscreen. My arms, head and neck are now a crispy red due to the Washington sun.

f) the GT-AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGG is an absolutely terrifying car on the track.

g) auto-x rules and I am hooked.

When you walk the course. Try to walk your line or what you think the line will be. I pretended to be in my car and walk where I would be driving the car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

c355n4 posted:

When you walk the course. Try to walk your line or what you think the line will be. I pretended to be in my car and walk where I would be driving the car.
They don't like it when I suddenly scream, miss a turn and run into the curb head first, rolling end over end on the grass. I started wearing rattier t-shirts to reduce the expense, though.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 5, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They don't like it when I suddenly scream, miss a turn and run into the curb head first, rolling end over end on the grass. I started wearing rattier t-shirts to reduce the expense, though.

I'm doing this next event.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qi-wHwLMQg

I got a little carried away with the cameras.

On there is a DriftHD, a GoProHD, and an old Sony Cybershot.

Good enough for 9th overall (with a 2% street tire bonus) and best in class.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
How do you sync up your videos? Just eyeball it?
I have a GoPro SD which seems to only be good for in-car only, out the windshield is all washed out. I'd like to get another HD camera to use in conjunction. A separate audio recorder would be swell too. Turning all this poo poo on and off is going to get aggravating, I think.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know that the HD has a mode for spot metering and it makes it possible to have decent footage of shooting from inside the car to outside of the car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Got my autocross on this weekend. Beat Phone so that's all that matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6FR2kaR4s&hd=1

Where did you mount that camera to get the foot cam? I've been debating picking up one of those little keyfob cameras to stick down there.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

How do you sync up your videos? Just eyeball it?

Really simply actually.

Get all the cameras going, then clap really loudly once. Look for the audio spike on each track, cut, and line up. Perfect job every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Welp, that's a pretty good idea. So far I only use Avisynth and ffmpeg to edit my video so I'd need to figure something out.

I'd love an HD but that's a lotta dough. My SD mounted in the location I have works really well for seeing in the car, the steering wheel, the shifter, my feet somewhat, and actually out the windows a little bit. Most of the windshield is bad. I was thinking about picking something up from Woot when they come up, maybe an Xacti.

• Locked thread