Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Just Cause 2 is the kind of game that will put your whole backlog on hold for a long time. Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition is enormous as well, you easily tacked eighty hours onto your backlog there.

For me, I've gotten Back to the Future, a Borderlands DLC, Recettear, Oblivion (which after I install TCOM2 will own my life for a while), Football Manager 2011 (which I hear is like digicrack), and Tropico 3 Gold.

I've done a number on my backlog. Anyway I've been mostly playing Divinity 2 these days. Just conquered the Battle Tower and became a Dragon, man what a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Damage report:
BTTF:The Game
Civ5
Magicka (rebuy)
Plants vs Zombies (rebuy)

:3:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

The html code is under Options under My Backloggery, at the bottom of the page.

Thanks. Let's see if it works:

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
The sig doesn't work for me. "[img] code is OFF". Not that I'm playing games for anything other than Steam achievement tickets right now though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been pretty loving weak. Report:

Back To the Future
Bit Trip Beat
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate
Civilization V (From GamersGate)
Dawn of War II: Retribution
Magicka

I said I was only going to buy games on my wishlist this sale, only three of those are from my wishlist. :negative:

Also I am doing these silly achievements even though there are probably only another two DLC things I want (redeemed MoW:AS and Fate of the World so far). But I'll just keep on doing them...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got A.R.E.S......
They say it is short, so I should be able to finish it after a bout on the toilet.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12
I am the worst!
I need to make Steam not remember my credit card number so the impulse buys won't be so incredibly easy. Maybe having to stand up and get my wallet before each purchase would help me think about if I really need or want the games in that shopping cart.

Secret of the Norns DLC for the prologue of Winter Voices (that will make me start that game all over again from the start)
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Dawn of War Retribution
Aquaria
Divinity 2
Flotilla
The Maw
Puzzle Agent 2
Fortix 2
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall
Solar 2
Garshasp

Though Garshasp was on my must buy list, and I was planning to start Winter Voices over again to take the alternative path through to get the achievements I missed in the prologue.
I'm fighting the urge to pick up Two Worlds 2, because I know I won't have time to play it before the Christmas sale and it will probably be on for less then.
I've really been trying to avoid buying any super long or in depth games that will take me a month or more to really get through.
I already have so many RPGs that will keep me busy for days, I don't need to keep adding to a list of long games that I haven't found the time to play.

I have been doing okay on working on my backlog during the sale though!
I finished Jolly Rover when I started it for the ticket, and after that I watched The Path until I got to the point that I think means I beat it. I don't even really know with that game, though I honestly didn't get much in the way of collectables.

I don't know if I would recommend The Path to anyone, but I am glad I saw it.
Saw is definitely the word I would use though, and not played.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Steam would be a lot more diabolical if they paid Amazon for one click checkout.

I just bought Zen Bound 2. It was only $1.00 so whatever. I still feel kind of bad because I know I'm going to play this game for 3 minutes after it downloads and never touch it again.

HappiestBatman
Apr 16, 2010

The wind rises, tearing dead leaves free. Frogs croak like a cartoon car alarm. Crickets pick up the chorus. A wolf howls. I know how he feels.

\
Doing well so far. The only things I've bought were Magicka and Alpha Protocol. For three dollars and five dollars, how can you not get those? At least they were games I've been wanting to play and not something I bought for absolutely no reason, like I did with Eets.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I've only got Dreamfall and BTTF so far.

BTTF was kind of an impulse (I intended to wait until it'd be like 5-10 bucks, now it was 12.50) but I'd waited for a Dreamfall deal on Steam for ever and finally got one. I certainly don't regret either purchase at all. Added edit: Dreamfall doesn't add to my backlog anyway since I've played it through years ago. Just wanted to complete The Longest Journey duology on my Steam.

I think I must applaud myself.

Zat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 4, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
As I predicted I ended up buying the Doom pack. I already have the first episode of Doom 1 beaten though, so I'm making good progress. :) Hopefully this will be my only purchase for the sale, though I'm thinking about the Heretic and Hexen collection as well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh god I just bought the Serious Sam HD pack and Bully...I'm so weak...At least I talked myself out of also getting Alpha Protocol.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I got at least 20+ games during the sale...oh god.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can't stop buying DLC. Tomorrow, I'll have enough tickets to get two more DLC for games I plan on never getting.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

gently caress you Gaben.
FO:NV - Honest Hearts
FO:NV - Dead Money
Trine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zedd posted:

gently caress you Gaben.
FO:NV - Honest Hearts
FO:NV - Dead Money
Trine.

I didn't even see the FO:NV DLC was on sale...Add Honest Hearts to my list.

J-udy
Jan 22, 2009
Hello, I'm J-udy, and I'm trying to seek help. Just bought Hydrophobia: Prophecy (because I'm a glutton for new technologies, aka water simulation) and Battlefield BC2. Not going to play anything else until I finish (or ragequit) H:P.

My bigger problem is never finishing games. I started fixing this problem by finishing Vampire: Bloodlines, which I started in 2003 and completed last month. Before that, it was HL2:EP2 back in 2007. I bought 50-70 games since then, and started about 20 of them, getting no more than an hour through each.

After I finish H:P, I have a 3/4-finished game of GTA4 waiting for me, and then maybe I'll hop on that Battlefield game.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I also didn't notice it was on sale! Bought & bought! Time for to revisit Vegas!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lurchibles posted:

I also didn't notice it was on sale! Bought & bought! Time for to revisit Vegas!

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe this time I'll actually finish the game.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Yuuup also bought the New Vegas dlc. Considering how much I am loving the game, I may or may not even buy the third and fourth DLC undiscounted. Maybe.

Should I use 3 steam tickets for Alien Breed?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Luisfe posted:

Should I use 3 steam tickets for Alien Breed?

Only if you feel like wasting them. It's pretty terrible.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm a semi-total RTS noob but AI War seems promising (because I'm told there's close to no macro, and tedious stuff is automated?). What's getting my attention is that every piece of DLC, including the ticket prize, has like 100+ new units. Sounds like if I got them all, I'd have a lot to throw myself into.

Is it hard for someone who hasn't played, say, 4X's before? Or an RTS since junior high school (used to have botmatches in starcraft 1...and lose :kiddo:)

Oh, and for Steam Anonymous sake: Almost done getting all the Beat Hazard perks! That would make it complete! Totally got the gold ship to celebrate. Bling & beats :whadup:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
And I got Fallout: New Vegas *and* both DLC, when just a month or two ago I was ranting and raving in the NV thread about how I would never buy it because Half Price Books cheated me by selling me a disk I could never use and how it was stupid how the disk had to be linked to a Steam account and blah blah blah...

I truly am a gamer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Remember when I said I talked myself out of buying Alpha Protocol at least? Yeah, that didn't last...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

TheJoker138 posted:

Remember when I said I talked myself out of buying Alpha Protocol at least? Yeah, that didn't last...

It's worth it, it's my favourite game ever.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
So far this steam sale I have bought:
Batman Arkham Asylum
Darksiders
Transformers War for Cybertron
Trine

Must... only... buy... one... game... per... day...

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
:cawg:

Isn't Batman: AA bound to be one of the daily specials? How will you feel then?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

treiz01 posted:

So far this steam sale I have bought:
Batman Arkham Asylum
I saw this and thought "Holy crap, Arkham Asylum is on sale!? I forgot about that one!" and rushed over to Steam...

... then remembered I already had a copy of the game on disk that I bought a few months ago but haven't played yet.

:smith:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Hello, my name is Mark, and I'm a Steamaholic.

I have a backloggery account, but it's full of a bunch of PS2/NES/older games. I had used to to measure my game collection back when I did that. Maybe I'll make up a new one for Steam games...

I'm doing alright with the sale, but have probably bought about 10 games. I truly only buy games when they are 75% off or more, and packs (those great indie packs) whenever possible.

I can't necessarily commit to no longer buying games until I finish them, but I do think that I will potentially make myself PLAY at least one game for each new game I buy. Hahahaha, I suck...

Will add my backloggery account here soon.
EDIT: No, I won't. I'll do what Migishu did and do it all in Steam.

Edit2: Done! My categories:

Sort of copied Migishu, but Assorted Junk is where I put superfluous expansions, weird Beta things I can't remove, and Mac versions of games. Basement of Shame is stuff I wish I didn't have (Elf Bowling, The Polynomial, Rhythm Zone, etc)

Chinook fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 5, 2011

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Chinook posted:

Hello, my name is Mark, and I'm a Steamaholic.

I have a backloggery account, but it's full of a bunch of PS2/NES/older games. I had used to to measure my game collection back when I did that. Maybe I'll make up a new one for Steam games...

I'm doing alright with the sale, but have probably bought about 10 games. I truly only buy games when they are 75% off or more, and packs (those great indie packs) whenever possible.

I can't necessarily commit to no longer buying games until I finish them, but I do think that I will potentially make myself PLAY at least one game for each new game I buy. Hahahaha, I suck...

Will add my backloggery account here soon.
EDIT: No, I won't. I'll do what Migishu did and do it all in Steam.

Where did you get those stats in the picture?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Hemish posted:

Where did you get those stats in the picture?

Here: http://steamplaytimecalculator.com/

However, it's not 100% accurate, as it counts expansions and DLC as games, it seems, as well as not recording time played from a while back. I think Steam might have reset play time a while back (or not always implemented it).

Plus, I rebought a bunch of games I played on consoles, and stuff like Doom, fully intending not to really play it again. (I take the .WAD from doom and use it in other things, for example)

But it's a nice glance at your problem, in any case.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I bought and finished Jolly Rover. Check one off the list! Turns out, I also bought Garshasp: The Monster Slayer....what the gently caress was I thinking?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well, it looks like I'm going to make it all day to day without buying anything. That makes this the 2nd day of the sale where I've done that. 5 more days...

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

TheJoker138 posted:

Well, it looks like I'm going to make it all day to day without buying anything. That makes this the 2nd day of the sale where I've done that. 5 more days...

Don't worry, they'll catch you when you least expect it. A friend or someone will point out how "awesome" one of the new games on sale is and you'll fall victim to it... No human can withstand Steam Sales. They're like crack. Only more moreish.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

With the summer sale going on and that drat Steam thread blowing up with thousands of posts every day, this thread is like trying to have an AA meeting right in the middle of Munich while Oktoberfest is in full swing.

I'm proud to say I also haven't bought a thing (yet). There were some tempting sales, but the only two really on my wishlist were Witcher 2 and Portal 2, and both were still over $30. I'm cheap and will just wait for them to drop under $20, even if it takes another year or two.

I'll probably buy Scratches though, an atmospheric horror adventure game for $5 looks too good to pass up. Has anyone played that?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lurchibles posted:

Don't worry, they'll catch you when you least expect it. A friend or someone will point out how "awesome" one of the new games on sale is and you'll fall victim to it... No human can withstand Steam Sales. They're like crack. Only more moreish.

It's true. I would have been two days in a row with no purchases if it wasn't for that drat Alpha Protocol. Although I'm not getting anything today. Nothing.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

It's true. I would have been two days in a row with no purchases if it wasn't for that drat Alpha Protocol. Although I'm not getting anything today. Nothing.

If there's one game you shouldn't feel guilt about, it's Alpha Protocol at 5$.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hemish posted:

If there's one game you shouldn't feel guilt about, it's Alpha Protocol at 5$.

I've played a couple hours of it, and I feel buyers remorse over it. I was expecting to be doing cool secret agent stuff, not having to keep some idiot alive in a big courtyard fight who keeps standing there shooting a terrorist who has a shotgun with a pistol instead of taking cover. God, gently caress this game.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Ways to not have your backlog shrink:
  • Be away from your main computer for weeks
  • Have a birthday
  • Get given fifty bucks and be told "here, buy a game or something"
  • Have the Steam summer sale start

I have sworn a mighty vow to only buy things that are on my wishlist already or that are new releases, or that I have never heard of due to hilarious ignorance.

The damage:
  • Time Gentlemen, Please!
  • Been There, Dan That
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Jamestown
  • Everyday Shooter
  • Bookworm Adventures Volume 2 (MUST CASUAL HARDER :f5:)
  • Fate of the World
  • Fallout (Non-Steam)
  • Fallout 2 (Non-Steam)

And I'm still not through the fifty bucks.

I did manage to get Peggle Nights and Gratuitous Space Battles off the list, at least. But now instead of making progress I have to go do tons of stunt play on games I've already finished, because THE TICKETS MUST BE MINE.

Except now I also need to add more stuff to my wishlist to get it up to the point where I could theoretically win the Grand Prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They had to get back at me for not buying anything yesterday I guess, cause today I bought the Far Cry pack and the GTA IV pack. I should mention I already own GTA IV and both expansions for Xbox 360.