Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

All this talk about the Arrive makes me kinda want to trade the EVO for one :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
After putting the mango update on the arrive and with the potential it has it's honestly worth it. I just wish I wasn't so ingrained in the google world :sweatdrop:

maybe someone will make a google music/+ app for WP7

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is the Mango update out yet? I'll probably look for someone who wants to trade phones or something.
A friend of mine had Sprint replace his EVO for an Arrive when he busted it. I'd go for that if I could.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Skeezy posted:

Is the Mango update out yet? I'll probably look for someone who wants to trade phones or something.
A friend of mine had Sprint replace his EVO for an Arrive when he busted it. I'd go for that if I could.

the official update doesn't come out until fall sometime (No concrete date yet) but someone posted a method to update to a leaked developer build in the WP7 thread and so far so good.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

CRUISECONTROL posted:

Interesting. I really don't buy that somehow the battery calibrates to your usage, if the phone has to pull X mA for a task it will no matter what, but I can buy that the battery meter has to calibrate and maybe there is some sort of burn in. I can get like 2 days of light usage on my old Hero now with custom ROMs, dynamic underclocking, etc. My main concern would be having to really limit my usage if I want to do simple things like listen to music or use maps for a bit.

Yeah I think a few folks were wording it wrong. The battery itself doesn't calibrate, just the handset as it learns the actual charge of the battery and thus you'll get more realistic looking battery life.

Case in point, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, my phone sat charging and stating 100% charged but the charging light was still amber. Didn't go green until about 45 minutes after sitting there supposedly topped off. Even then the next day my battery life seemed to nosedive.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
I am about to buy the EVO 3D from Amazon wireless but I am a bit hesitant since it sounds like through the checkout process you are choosing a new plan and everything. I am picking the same Everything data 450 plus TEP that I currently have but my question is does buying via Amazon wireless get rid of your monthly rate discount (I have a credit union discount applied) or does the discount carry over automatically? I looked at the past 10-20 pages because I could have sworn someone else asked this earlier but could not find an answer.

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock
So I just switched over from Verizon and ordered the Evo online. I did the option where I can transfer my phone number over.

Is my Verizon phone going to continue to work until the Evo comes in the mail? I have transferred numbers before, but in the past I have just walked out of the store with my new phone. This is the first time I've ordered anything online, so I'm not familiar with how the process works.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Can I Phaser You posted:

So I just switched over from Verizon and ordered the Evo online. I did the option where I can transfer my phone number over.

Is my Verizon phone going to continue to work until the Evo comes in the mail? I have transferred numbers before, but in the past I have just walked out of the store with my new phone. This is the first time I've ordered anything online, so I'm not familiar with how the process works.

Your Verizon phone works until you activate your new phone, at which point your Verizon line gets canceled.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Ali posted:

I am about to buy the EVO 3D from Amazon wireless but I am a bit hesitant since it sounds like through the checkout process you are choosing a new plan and everything. I am picking the same Everything data 450 plus TEP that I currently have but my question is does buying via Amazon wireless get rid of your monthly rate discount (I have a credit union discount applied) or does the discount carry over automatically? I looked at the past 10-20 pages because I could have sworn someone else asked this earlier but could not find an answer.

I am guessing you have sprint already. It wont affect your discount at all, and you wont have an upgrade fee since you are a credit union member.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think part of the battery issue is the modem. My girlfriend and I are on vacation in Florida and somehow (in the Tampa Bay area) the signal is less than optimal. My phone, an EVO3D, is demolishing battery due to piss-poor signal pickup while my old phone (girlfriend is using it, a Sammy Epic) is getting still suboptimal but a consistent 2-3 bars.

Basically, I think a modem issue with the 3D is exaggerating user-to-user differences in battery life due to TWS drain.

If you have what seems to be poor battery life, have a look at settings > about phone > battery usage > cell standby and see how high that Time Without Signal figure is. If its over like 5-10%, that is a big detractor to your battery life.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've just switched over from the 4G to the 3D. I signed in to Google and from what I'm reading all of my free and paid apps are supposed to appear when I go to My Apps in Market, but I don't see them. The only four I see are Maps, Google Search, Gmail and one paid app. Does it take 24 hours or something to fully sync?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

visuvius posted:

I've just switched over from the 4G to the 3D. I signed in to Google and from what I'm reading all of my free and paid apps are supposed to appear when I go to My Apps in Market, but I don't see them. The only four I see are Maps, Google Search, Gmail and one paid app. Does it take 24 hours or something to fully sync?

Paid apps will be listed as "Purchased". Free apps you downloaded in the past won't appear. That's a limitation of HTC Sense.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Paid apps will be listed as "Purchased". Free apps you downloaded in the past won't appear. That's a limitation of HTC Sense.
I believe that's just how the android market works, not some sense modification.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

WoG posted:

I believe that's just how the android market works, not some sense modification.

I ran non-Sense versions of Android on my Evo4G, and they all auto-downloaded previously downloaded apps (paid/non-paid) when I would set up the phone. AFAIK that feature was disabled by HTC.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

traveling midget posted:

I ran non-Sense versions of Android on my Evo4G, and they all auto-downloaded previously downloaded apps (paid/non-paid) when I would set up the phone. AFAIK that feature was disabled by HTC.

When I exchanged my 3D for a new one, all my apps (all free) synced over.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Rurutia posted:

When I exchanged my 3D for a new one, all my apps (all free) synced over.

Yeah the guy at the sprint store said that they were supposed to show up when I sign into google but I dont see them. Appbrain is good for this isnt it?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Any LG Optimus S users have issues with bluetooth auto pairing? Wife's phone seems random and only seems to pair with my Xlink BTTN about 1/3 of the time. Toggling bluetooth or clicking on the device name always make it connect.

I've put a few different ROMs on it but they're all based on the official ROM so there don't appear to be any bluetooth changes.

My Evo Shift w/ cyanogen always pairs fine.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

visuvius posted:

Yeah the guy at the sprint store said that they were supposed to show up when I sign into google but I dont see them. Appbrain is good for this isnt it?

Coming from the EVO4G your apps will not sync. That was something Android added in Froyo but HTC didn't include it in the EVO 4G froyo build. All your Android phones from here forward (including the EVO 3D) will automatically back up your apps so that they will re-download on your next device.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Family just signed with Sprint over the weekend, only to get home and find out that we barely get service. Maybe 1-2bars and even that's roaming, reading the OP, I came across a mention of a cell extender:

quote:

Q. I have lovely-no service at my house, how can I get this fixed?

A. Call 877-775-4886 (retentions), tell them you have horrible home service and need help. 9 out of 10 times they will offer a free 3G Microcell (current model called the Airvana).

Requirements:
Available Line
No spending limit on your account(otherwise it will cost you)
3MB+ home internet speeds (cable is preferable)

There is no contract, although if you cancel Sprint you have to return it. And I do recommend avoiding using the "upgrade eligibility" on the Microcell line to get you a new phone, its a bit taboo for Sprint and risks opening a can of worms at some point.

If you don't qualify for a free one, try searching craigslist/ebay, the Airrave (old one) and Airvana occasionally pop up. I think the new pricepoint is $150, but this shouldn't be a problem unless you never pay your bill.

Some questions:

We already have 5 lines on our plan, could we still add a Microcell?

Does using the Microcell count against out minutes, or only in certain circumstances?

What's the best way to complain and get a free one? In-store or the retentions number?

I looked up Sprint's Airvana "coverage" map and literally the only part of the map in our area not covered were the nearby lakes.

We're just a little bit pissed that we just signed up for a 2yr contract, doubling our monthly bill, as well as getting an Evo 3d, three Evo 4g's and an Evo Shift, only to not be able to make a phone call in the living room.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Looks like Samsung recently announced a cheap competitor to the LG Optimus S. The Conquer 4G.
http://phandroid.com/2011/06/29/samsung-announces-new-conquer-4g-for-sprint-still-no-pricing-or-availability/
4G, HVGA 320x480 screen, and Gingerbread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Looks like Samsung recently announced a cheap competitor to the LG Optimus S. The Conquer 4G.
http://phandroid.com/2011/06/29/samsung-announces-new-conquer-4g-for-sprint-still-no-pricing-or-availability/
4G, HVGA 320x480 screen, and Gingerbread.

I swear if this is another Samsung Transform...

PhattWebb posted:

Family just signed with Sprint over the weekend, only to get home and find out that we barely get service. Maybe 1-2bars and even that's roaming, reading the OP, I came across a mention of a cell extender:

Some questions:

We already have 5 lines on our plan, could we still add a Microcell?

Does using the Microcell count against out minutes, or only in certain circumstances?

What's the best way to complain and get a free one? In-store or the retentions number?

I looked up Sprint's Airvana "coverage" map and literally the only part of the map in our area not covered were the nearby lakes.

We're just a little bit pissed that we just signed up for a 2yr contract, doubling our monthly bill, as well as getting an Evo 3d, three Evo 4g's and an Evo Shift, only to not be able to make a phone call in the living room.

Assuming you went from dumbphones to feature phones your bill would have doubled on any carrier.

The Microcell uses high speed internet, so you need home internet for it to work. Otherwise, call retentions and talk to them. You are likely technically approved for only 5 lines but I would bet they can expand it by one. It usually expands to 10 lines within 2 months anyway, they just never let someone have more than 5 to start out with.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

traveling midget posted:

This didn't happen for me in CM7 or Sense-based ROMs. Or honeycomb, for that matter. Paid apps only, all around.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I swear if this is another Samsung Transform...
It looks more like a baby Nexus S 4G. Although probably closer to the Epic (2) software-wise. Speaking of which, the Gingerbread leaks appear to improve upon Froyo quite a bit for that hardware, and it can't suffer from the keyboard problems the Epic has if it doesn't have a hardware keyboard.

Edit: Oh, it might have a keyboard? Is Radio Shack still selling the Epic for a dollar or whatever? Anyways, I promise that keyboard will suck. Bleh.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 5, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I'm considering switching from T-Mo to Sprint and getting the EVO 3D and I'm torn between using the EPRP 500 minute plan and the Simply Everything plan. Since drat near everyone uses cell phones now, and the EPRP plan includes free mobile to mobile, it seems like it'd hard to run through those minutes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm considering switching from T-Mo to Sprint and getting the EVO 3D and I'm torn between using the EPRP 500 minute plan and the Simply Everything plan.
There's also EPRP 1000 for $80/mo, which is a middle ground.

But yeah, EPRP 500 means you have to talk to a landline, on average, more than 20 minutes every weekday from 7am-7pm. For most folks, if you do that it's probably part of your job, in which case get Simply Everything and have the "voice portion" reimbursed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm considering switching from T-Mo to Sprint and getting the EVO 3D and I'm torn between using the EPRP 500 minute plan and the Simply Everything plan. Since drat near everyone uses cell phones now, and the EPRP plan includes free mobile to mobile, it seems like it'd hard to run through those minutes.

I have 3 people on my family plan, they make phone calls and between the 3 of them use 200 minutes a month total. I will shake your hand if you go over. Very few people do, and the ones who do are business users who live on the phone calling businesses.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Is there any way to rename a bluetooth device on the 3D? I have the same model of handsfree device in each of my cars and I can't get it to pair with the second one. My old phone had no problem using both (one at a time, obviously).

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

I have 3 people on my family plan, they make phone calls and between the 3 of them use 200 minutes a month total. I will shake your hand if you go over. Very few people do, and the ones who do are business users who live on the phone calling businesses.

I use my phone for work (attorney) and most of my calls are to my clients who mostly all use cell phones. The only reason I'd be concerned is from my poor rear end clients but for some reason even my most impoverished ghetto rear end court-appointed clients have cell phones. I also might get a job where I would have my own land-line so using my cell as a business line would no longer be necessary.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 5, 2011

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

Stunt Rock posted:

I use my phone for work (attorney) and most of my calls are to my clients who mostly all use cell phones. The only reason I'd be concerned is from my poor rear end clients but for some reason even my most impoverished ghetto rear end court-appointed clients have cell phones. I also might get a job where I would have my own land-line so using my cell as a business line would no longer be necessary.

Sprint will allow you to freely change between the plans so you can start small and change to the Simply Everything plan later if you need the landline minutes.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

snKestren posted:

Sprint will allow you to freely change between the plans so you can start small and change to the Simply Everything plan later if you need the landline minutes.

Cool. From what I've gathered from Googling and from forum searching, I can only get EPRP online, right? No getting it in store?

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

Stunt Rock posted:

Cool. From what I've gathered from Googling and from forum searching, I can only get EPRP online, right? No getting it in store?

Correct. You can also call the employee SERO/EPRP number in OP, but doing it online is quicker and easier. If it's the shipping you're worried about, however, they overnight phones in most instances.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Either I'm doing the 3D picture thing wrong or my camera is busted. I can't seem to get a crisp, in focus 3D picture. I am seeing both images, almost overlapping but not really. Its like they're not aligning properly. Anyone else have this problem or is it just super finicky?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

visuvius posted:

Either I'm doing the 3D picture thing wrong or my camera is busted. I can't seem to get a crisp, in focus 3D picture. I am seeing both images, almost overlapping but not really. Its like they're not aligning properly. Anyone else have this problem or is it just super finicky?

You have to get the distance and angle just right or you won't get the right effect. Even then, some people might not be able to see it. Have you showed it to someone else to see if it's just you?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You have to get the distance and angle just right or you won't get the right effect. Even then, some people might not be able to see it. Have you showed it to someone else to see if it's just you?

Not yet but I will. I was going to try a few more shots, some outside to see if I could get it right. I think its just me.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Picked up my Evo 3D today, went to a corporate store and did the buyback program with my Evo 4G with no hassles. All they checked for was it powering up. They gave me the memory card, data cable and wall charger back since they didn't want those and ten minutes later walked out of the store with a new phone.

Haven't had much time to play with it yet but the camera button is amazing.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
For those of you interested in the KYOCERA ECHO, watch this entertaining public service announcement from Kyocera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkP0bEsyeU

:haw:

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah I like the look of the camera button quite a bit, its actually a bit of a shame that the Otterbox case I got completely covers it up. I was thinking about cutting out the round rubber piece covering the actual button. I'm still getting used to the functionality of it though. Sometimes you have to kind of press down on it quite a bit and that can make it difficult to get an in focus picture.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That Echo youtube video is just ridiculous.

My fiance's Evo Shift with the new 2.3 release is having a lot of problems, so I called and bitched about it to retentions (after first going to a tech center and having it wiped). No news on when fixes are coming out, but they gave us a $80 credit. So heads up as something worth calling in about.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

That Echo youtube video is just ridiculous.

My fiance's Evo Shift with the new 2.3 release is having a lot of problems, so I called and bitched about it to retentions (after first going to a tech center and having it wiped). No news on when fixes are coming out, but they gave us a $80 credit. So heads up as something worth calling in about.
As far as I know, my wife hasn't even been prompted for the update yet on her Shift. I guess I'll have her stay away from it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Is there a way to use the USB tethering option on my Evo3d without downloading a third party app like PDAnet or dealing with HTC Sync bloatware (150 meg setup program? Shouldn't there just be a driver or something?)