Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sanschel posted:

It's pretty ho-hum and not terrifically exciting, which is why I'm surprised by how awesome the just spoiled second wave looks:

Catman, Batgirl, & Batman w/Bat-Mite

Batgirl is a straight-up repaint of the DC Superheroes Batgirl (who has only been available in two packs up til now); the guy has included the first version for comparison shots and the new one looks really nice (admittedly I'm a sucker for glossy over matte finishes). I think the Bat-cycle in the pics is from an older line and not an actual accessory, though I'm not sure.

Batman is largely a repaint of the DCU Wave 1 Batman, but with a new head and chest insignia obviously meant to reference the 60-70s cheesy Adam West-era Batman. Bat-Mite is obviously completely new, though about as articulated as Gleek.

Catman is the obvious standout. Lots of brand new pieces, two handheld claw weapons, and he just looks loving awesome. Deadshot will finally get his morose buddy to hang out with.

The bike is from Kenner's 1998 Batman and Robin line, and came with the Alicia Silverstone Batgirl figure. Those were 5" figures, so the bike was large for them at the time.

This Batman is supposed to be based on the Golden Age Batman by Dick Sprang, just like the Joker from the previous wave and the Robin variant from DCUC wave 16. The DCUC wave 1 Batman is more of the Silver/Bronze Age/Adam West/Super Friends Batman look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Sanschel posted:

I guess it happened a few weeks ago but the first wave of Mattel's Batman Legacy line came out.

Wave 1 is Batman, Golden Age Joker, and Mr. Freeze

Batman is the standard Modern Age Bats sculpt (although I believe the head is new); Joker is a mash of the Imperiex wave body and Question's trenchcoat, with a new head; Freeze is a recolor of the DC Superheros figure (which was itself a rerelease from Mattel's 2003 Batman line).

It's pretty ho-hum and not terrifically exciting, which is why I'm surprised by how awesome the just spoiled second wave looks:

Catman, Batgirl, & Batman w/Bat-Mite

Batgirl is a straight-up repaint of the DC Superheroes Batgirl (who has only been available in two packs up til now); the guy has included the first version for comparison shots and the new one looks really nice (admittedly I'm a sucker for glossy over matte finishes). I think the Bat-cycle in the pics is from an older line and not an actual accessory, though I'm not sure.

Batman is largely a repaint of the DCU Wave 1 Batman, but with a new head and chest insignia obviously meant to reference the 60-70s cheesy Adam West-era Batman. Bat-Mite is obviously completely new, though about as articulated as Gleek.

Catman is the obvious standout. Lots of brand new pieces, two handheld claw weapons, and he just looks loving awesome. Deadshot will finally get his morose buddy to hang out with.

I just really really want a Preston Payne Clayface, hopefully if they're doing Catman and Bat-mite there's a chance I'll get one before they do Calandar Man or Julie Madison.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

They still haven't done a Poison Ivy.

POISON IVY.

She should have priority over any weird obscure villains.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I want an Anarky figure, but that's even more unlikely.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

They still haven't done a Poison Ivy.

POISON IVY.

She should have priority over any weird obscure villains.

That really is the most glaring omission at the moment. That and a Ra's are two well known villains and we haven't seen a pee. And for Ra's it is really easy to put out a really nice looking figure as is evidenced by the various customs out there.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Djarum posted:

That really is the most glaring omission at the moment. That and a Ra's are two well known villains and we haven't seen a pee. And for Ra's it is really easy to put out a really nice looking figure as is evidenced by the various customs out there.

I don't get it. I understand there might be a weird licensing issue with Mad Hatter, but Poison Ivy is one of the top 5 most recognizable and popular Batman villains, and they're making loving Magog before her? The only reason I can think of would be that her torso would need a new sculpt, but so did Magog's, so that idea's out.

I haven't bought a DCUC since wave Raven and Martian Manhunter because of the price and I hardly recognize any of the characters.. There is nothing in 17, 18, or 19 that appeals to me at all, except maybe Sandman if they had a modern variant. But I'd buy a Ra's or Ivy or Mad Hatter Huntress or new Scarecrow with the wave 17 head.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't get it. I understand there might be a weird licensing issue with Mad Hatter, but Poison Ivy is one of the top 5 most recognizable and popular Batman villains, and they're making loving Magog before her? The only reason I can think of would be that her torso would need a new sculpt, but so did Magog's, so that idea's out.

I haven't bought a DCUC since wave Raven and Martian Manhunter because of the price and I hardly recognize any of the characters.. There is nothing in 17, 18, or 19 that appeals to me at all, except maybe Sandman if they had a modern variant. But I'd buy a Ra's or Ivy or Mad Hatter Huntress or new Scarecrow with the wave 17 head.

They've made DC Mad Hatter toys before, so there probably aren't any licensing issues. I think it's just that Four Horsemen love making weird characters with little to no figure representation thus far. I kind of get the feeling that doing the Green Lantern Classics stuff was a tradeoff for being able to do almost entire waves based on Super Powers or Super Friends. Even with those two recreations nearly tapped out, chances are they'll stick to more esoteric characters (at least for as long as the line can survive at an obscene $18 per figure).

Also Mattel has announced that the STRIPE wave will follow the Bane wave and not have any real variants; granted, that wave did still have the two Robin heads, so it's possible they could make an alternate head for someone (doing a Sandman Mystery Theatre mask would probably be the easiest).

In other news, Revoltech Woody arrived yesterday. I didn't fully appreciate how awesome these figures are until I actually had one in my hands. He's just amazing. Honestly, $30 seems kind of cheap for how fantastic he is. Question: while I assume the square box is for loose parts if you don't want to keep his packaging, what is the purpose of the plastic coin?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So... is anyone doing SDCC this year? Underground Toys just announced this VVVV as their SDCC Doctor Who exclusive, and I must have it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Sanschel posted:

Question: while I assume the square box is for loose parts if you don't want to keep his packaging, what is the purpose of the plastic coin?

You collect coins to trade in for stuff like that joint-prying-off tool, an assembleborg exclusive, or a random new revoltech figure. Its all Japan only unfortunately.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
I got nostalgic and bought some Super Powers.
Coming soon: Brainiac

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

The sad thing is that the new Green Lantern 3.75 inch figures from the movie line actually have worse articulation than those old things. At least those have knee articulation.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So the contents for the Matty Collector Monday Mystery Packs for MOTU are the following:

Pack 1:
Weapons pack 1
Tytus
Moss Man

Pack 2:
Tytus
King GraySkull(the re-issue)
Buzz-Off

Pack 3:
Shadow beast
Scare Glow
Weapons pack 1

Both of the Tytus packs are really good deals, especialy since he's the largest out of all the fgures and runs 40 dollars by himself.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
anyone order dcuc packs?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Not bad packs. The second time won't be nearly as good.

That new Faker w/ Battle Armor vs Bizarro two pack is the first real must have 2 pack for me.

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!
First new toy purchase in a while, the Kotobukiya Mega Man model kit:

It's been out for a while, but I had trouble justifying the purchase until recently. In the end, I just couldn't resist Mega Man, drat his adorable hide. :megaman:

I had some serious flashbacks to being a young nerd building those Gundam model kits, except this seems slightly less likely to fall apart and lose random tiny pieces I could never find again.

Very well-designed little toy. I might sit down and paint it one day, but it looks pretty great as-is, aside from the points where it connected to the plastic (though that's probably my fault for not cutting them off cleanly).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

So the contents for the Matty Collector Monday Mystery Packs for MOTU are the following:

Hmm.. any reveal on what was in the Ghostbusters pack?

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
If anyone is looking for them, the new "The Terminator" figures by NECA are out now. The T1 Tech Noir T-800 looks good, but I think I prefer the Arnold headsculpt from the T2 figures. The new headsculpt for the Endoskeleton is great though, and the new silver paint they used looks really nice.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jace Madan posted:

If anyone is looking for them, the new "The Terminator" figures by NECA are out now. The T1 Tech Noir T-800 looks good, but I think I prefer the Arnold headsculpt from the T2 figures. The new headsculpt for the Endoskeleton is great though, and the new silver paint they used looks really nice.
Oh poo poo, where did you find them? I might have to grab that Endoskeleton, I passed on the first NECA endoskeleton because the first headsculpt was garbage.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Satsuki posted:

That new Faker w/ Battle Armor vs Bizarro two pack is the first real must have 2 pack for me.

I feel like I should be happy, since I've got the original DCSH Bizarro and my Legion of Doom is now complete. I should be content with this.

But the minor color adjustment to bring that mold in line with the classic white skinned Bizarro is just too much to pass up, since I doubt we'll be getting an angular Bizarro anytime soon.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, where did you find them? I might have to grab that Endoskeleton, I passed on the first NECA endoskeleton because the first headsculpt was garbage.

I found them at a local collectible convention called "Frank and Sons" here in Southern California. Usually Toys R Us gets them in about a week or two after I find them there. I saw the new Iron Maiden figures from NECA at TRU today, so the T1 figures should not be far behind. Certain online places like Amoktime have them in-stock too.

But yeah, the new Endo headsculpt is fantastic. The jaw is permanently shut now, but the overall look and detail in the head is way better than the Cult Classics and T2 series versions of the Endos. He looks really menacing and cool. Aside from the better, more "chrome" looking paint, the joints are also way sturdier too. Plus he comes with the plasma rifle and interchangeable hand, so unless you NEED to have the plasma minigun from the T2 one, this is the only Endo you will ever need.

Also, don't forget, Predators series 3 with Masked Classic and Elder should be out by the end of the month! Man, I am gonna be so broke.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There are at least five flea markets within driving distance, so there's no goddamn way I'm going to get the Astral Dr. Strange. Jesus Christ, gently caress scalpers and gently caress chase rare figures forever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Do any Transformer collectors want Cyclonus from that Reveal the Shield 2-pack but not Rodimus? I only want Rodimus (after foolishly selling my original one last year), and I'd happily split the 2-pack with someone.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

moths posted:

Jesus Christ, gently caress scalpers and gently caress chase rare figures forever.

Ruining collectibles since 1991 :patriot:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm.. any reveal on what was in the Ghostbusters pack?

Only pack I know of is the PKE Meter, Walter Peck, and Peter Venkman.

I've heard some people getting the Meter, Egon, and Winston, but the only picture I've seen has the 3rd box's name covered.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 5, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nice of ToySquare to remind me my Kevin Flynn Hot Toys figure was shipping soon. Out of nowhere $170 bucks. :3:

I'll get pics once he comes in -- looking forward to this one.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I bought a Shepard figure from the Mass Effect 2 line - decent figure, by the way - and I'm going to use the considerable powers at my command to make him look like the one true Shepard... Spaceman Shepard:

I might have to track down a Garrus from wave 2 to be his drinkin' buddy...

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You'll be searching for a long time, then, as wave 2 was cancelled.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Well then I guess he'll need a different drinkin' buddy...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

Only pack I know of is the PKE Meter, Walter Peck, and Peter Venkman.

I've heard some people getting the Meter, Egon, and Winston, but the only picture I've seen has the 3rd box's name covered.

drat, both of those are good. The PKE was 60 all on its own.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I bought a Shepard figure from the Mass Effect 2 line - decent figure, by the way - and I'm going to use the considerable powers at my command to make him look like the one true Shepard... Spaceman Shepard:

People who use default Shep are assholes. They really should let you send away for a custom head.

This is the man who will save the universe.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 6, 2011

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is the man who will save the universe.

Haha holy poo poo, it's Brian Thompson.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just got my Matty MOTU Mystey Pack, I got Tytus, Mossman with unflocked ears, and a weapons pak.

I was really hoping for one of the Tytus cases anyways, probably the Tytus/Greyskull/Buzzoff case was the best value, but since Buzz-Off is being re-issued this month I am probably going to get him that way. But atleast now I have all the larger sized figures.

The weapons pak strikes me as odd since I really can't think of a figure that could properly use them. I thought the Blue sheild sword and axe was for Faker but the other weapons pak contains that set which is orange.

Also this is whats in one of the DC Mystery Packs

12 Inch Superman
Bwana Beast/Animal Man 2 pack
Anti-Monitor 4 pack (Infinite Heroes)

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 6, 2011

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Blue shield looks really good on the blue Mer-Man if you have him.

I wasn't a big fan of that weapon pack either.

Pleatherface
Oct 24, 2004
I've been thinking about buying a cool looking/pose-able Transformer toy to display and I'm really liking the looks of the Masterpiece Starscream. My problem is the price... is it worth the price it's commanding on Ebay, or should I keep looking?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Have you looked up Masterpiece Skywarp? Might be cheaper, it's the same mold.

Honestly I would go with one of the incarnations of Masterpiece Prime, or Grimlock. Starscream is good and all, but he's a bit fidley and transforming him is a bitch. I would equate him more to a model quite than a solid figure to give you an idea of what handling him is like.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Pleatherface posted:

I've been thinking about buying a cool looking/pose-able Transformer toy to display and I'm really liking the looks of the Masterpiece Starscream. My problem is the price... is it worth the price it's commanding on Ebay, or should I keep looking?

Are there any other characters you like? Any vehicle/beast modes or colors you prefer?

Pleatherface
Oct 24, 2004
Skywarp might be a good option. I suppose I'll have to flip a coin or something. Are there any more transformers of this model like display quality or is the masterpiece line pretty much it?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Pleatherface posted:

Skywarp might be a good option. I suppose I'll have to flip a coin or something. Are there any more transformers of this model like display quality or is the masterpiece line pretty much it?

You could look into Alternators, Binaltech, or Alternity.

edit: fair warning, some of those are expensive and fiddly as hell.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Pleatherface posted:

I-gear has made the Conheads as well as Sunstorm using the Starscream masterpiece mold. Pretty expensive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

They really should let you send away for a custom head.

I've given this some thought, and I might be willing to make a few more custom heads for other people who have this figure... if the price is right. Making just a head is easier than making a whole custom figure, it's pretty easy to swap out the head on Shepard, and I'm guessing there are a lot of Mass Effect fans who would prefer a figure that looks like their Shepard. (Too bad they didn't make a female version...)

And as always, I could use more money.

Anybody who likes this idea should try to track down the Shepard action figure (I found one easily at the local mall) and also wait to see how mine turns out. I'm a little doubtful about the included helmet still fitting on him, since the shape of his head will be a little different.