Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Tagra posted:

I've got a new question. I'm looking for a spare battery for my s95, something that will likely just sit around but be available to charge up and shove in my bag for "emergencies" on longer trips. Off brand batteries are ridiculously cheap on Amazon, like 50 cents.

Is a 50 cent knockoff battery going to be just fine, or should I worry that it will explode while I'm charging it some day :ohdear: Since it's only going to be occasionally used it's a little better, but still a little :ohdear: inducing. Especially if it explodes inside the camera...

The Maximal Power brand was recommended by a lot of people, but it's out of stock :argh:

ummm, I just ordered the maximal power nb-6l for my S95, looks like they're in stock now?

http://www.amazon.com/DB-CAN-NB-6L-Replacement-Camcorders/dp/B001FA09WI/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1308419335&sr=1-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

MMD3 posted:

ummm, I just ordered the maximal power nb-6l for my S95, looks like they're in stock now?

http://www.amazon.com/DB-CAN-NB-6L-Replacement-Camcorders/dp/B001FA09WI/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1308419335&sr=1-2

Not on Amazon.ca
http://www.amazon.ca/Maximal-Power-CAN-NB-6L-Replacement/dp/B001FA09WI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308346550&sr=8-1

.com usually either won't ship electronics to my address, or they charge ridiculous international fees to do it

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

We just brought home a S95 from Best Buy but I didn't want to buy a memory card there. I'm a little overwhelmed looking at all the options online. I'd like to experiment shooting in RAW (but likely not exclusively) and we'd like to take advantage of the video capabilities of the camera.

I see this Transcend 32GB Class 10 on Amazon - is that overkill?

Is there a commonly recommended card?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Chinaski posted:

I'm interested in replies to this too. That's the one I was planning on buying, based on random googling recommendations. They recommended Transcend because it was cheaper but didn't have significantly higher failure rates. From what I've read so far, Class 10 is overkill and Class 6 would do it since the camera can't really take advantage of faster speeds anyway... but when I looked at it the Class 6 was actually more expensive :psyduck:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tagra posted:

but when I looked at it the Class 6 was actually more expensive :psyduck:

I've noticed that Amazon often seems to be all over place with pricing. Seems that a lot of people don't bother to remove old listings/update prices and people, being dumb, continue to pay the old prices for stuff.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I prefer newegg.com for memory cards and batteries when available.

For memory cards, I think you sort of get what you pay for (assuming you're buying online). I've had success with Transcend cards for what it's worth. 32gb is pretty ridiculously big. 8gb should be enough to hold ~300 photos in RAW 32gb will obviously hold more. You shouldn't be filling up 32gbs without uploading them to your permanent storage anyway to avoid unnecessary risk of card corruption.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Chinaski posted:

We just brought home a S95 from Best Buy but I didn't want to buy a memory card there. I'm a little overwhelmed looking at all the options online. I'd like to experiment shooting in RAW (but likely not exclusively) and we'd like to take advantage of the video capabilities of the camera.

I have a 32gb for my S95. Set to RAW you can it holds over 2k. Large jpeg 9999+. I have 2 32gb class 10 and 16gb class 6. I use them in both my point and shoot and DSLR. The large size is great for when I start doing timelapse. Not needing to swap cards is what I am all about. I love the huge size since I was on vacation and took 800 pics and had no issue with running outta room with just the one card. I did however unload each night onto my laptop so I don't have to worry about if the card does decide to die. I have had the 16gb for a few years with no issue. And the 32gb for around 6months.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Spent a few days with the XZ-1 now. So far I can say that shooting in JPEG results in nice looking pictures but details are smeared because of noise reduction. Shooting in RAW produces much better results. Don't have any pictures to really show off but it's clearly evident.

I sprung for the white model this time. The body is smooth and doesn't have the grip like the black matte finish does. The camera has a decent heft to it. I wouldn't be too afraid of just having it in a backpack while doing outdoorsy poo poo.

I'm happy with it. The image quality is nice. The lens is fast with F1.8 and F2.5 on the extremes. It shoots reasonably fast and the controls are good. Not having direct access to ISO like reviews mention is meh. You can get to it in about 2 button presses. There's not many glaring errors I've experienced in a few days of use. I can't compare it to the S95 really.

EDIT: obligatory cat photo. JPEG straight out of the camera.

raw by HeyEng, on Flickr

jpeg by HeyEng, on Flickr

bloops fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 19, 2011

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
After doing a little research today I think I'm going to buy an Panasonic Lumix ZS10 camera. It has a good optical zoom, is wide angle, and has an ISO equivalent of up to 6400. Is there any reason I should consider something else over this camera? Again, most of my picture taking is at concerts, day and night, indoor and outdoor.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS10-Digital-Stabilized-Function/dp/tech-data/B004KKZ0HY/ref=de_a_smtd

EDIT: Do all SLR's have detachable lenses? That's usually the wording a venue will use to limit cameras: "all cameras with detachable lenses are prohibited." Which is the whole reason I'm looking at a Point and Shoot instead of an SLR.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 20, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Big Floppy posted:

I have a 32gb for my S95. Set to RAW you can it holds over 2k. Large jpeg 9999+. I have 2 32gb class 10 and 16gb class 6. I use them in both my point and shoot and DSLR. The large size is great for when I start doing timelapse. Not needing to swap cards is what I am all about. I love the huge size since I was on vacation and took 800 pics and had no issue with running outta room with just the one card. I did however unload each night onto my laptop so I don't have to worry about if the card does decide to die. I have had the 16gb for a few years with no issue. And the 32gb for around 6months.

Thanks - I wound up with a 16GB Class 10 by Wintec for about $22 shipped. While it's en route I'll be studying the camera manual :)

taxidermistpasta
Dec 18, 2004

They could be lollipops. They could be paddles. They could be a chinaman.
Edit: will put more effort in Olympus XZ-1post here.

taxidermistpasta fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 23, 2011

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
So I took my first trip with my S95. Mostly touristy stuff, but I was very happy with it. Fit nicely in my pocket, paired with a 32GB class 10 card I was able to shoot (casually, granted) all week happily. Nice to export to JPG and RAW simultaneously for instant Facebook gratification/real editing later. The low battery warning only came up once, and it was after I shot a full hour of footage and had taken about 75 photos (and had been turning it on and off all day). Performed well indoors, outdoors, in low light museums, etc. It completely served its purpose. Highly recommended.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone have an opinion on the new Sony travel zoom, the HX9V? I was going to get the Panny ZS10 but the IQ is horrible, and the Sony video is simply goddamn amazing. The pano options look nice, too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Got an S90 a while ago (thanks to this thread :rock: ). I took it up to some mountains in Wyoming just to get more familiar with everything. Going pretty well so far, but one thing I'm noticing in a lot of my shots is a weird fisheye and vignetting effect along the borders, wanted to see if someone could tell me what was going on with the lens or whatever.

Most of these were shot in full daylight so I had the aperture as far down as I could go for max DOF, and even at ISO 80 I was still shooting stuff at 300ths and 400ths of a second to get the little exposure meter on the right side of the screen to be in the middle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Takes No Damage posted:

Most of these were shot in full daylight so I had the aperture as far down as I could go for max DOF, and even at ISO 80 I was still shooting stuff at 300ths and 400ths of a second to get the little exposure meter on the right side of the screen to be in the middle.

You mean minimum depth of field?

Are you shooting RAW? If so what are you using to process the files? From the Dpreview review it seems like a lot of distortion correction goes on at the wide end and not all RAW converters will do it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
No, maximum. By aperture all the way down I meant the smallest size, that being the largest number, 8.whatever. I am shooting in RAW, opening them with UFRaw for some light (heh) white balance corrections before kicking them over to GIMP to adjust saturations and levels etc.

I hadn't heard about different RAW readers having any affect on the actual image rendering so I'll check up on UFRaw tonight and see if I can figure that out one way or another.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Takes No Damage posted:

No, maximum. By aperture all the way down I meant the smallest size, that being the largest number, 8.whatever. I am shooting in RAW, opening them with UFRaw for some light (heh) white balance corrections before kicking them over to GIMP to adjust saturations and levels etc.

I hadn't heard about different RAW readers having any affect on the actual image rendering so I'll check up on UFRaw tonight and see if I can figure that out one way or another.

Ah must have been really bright then :)

Have a look at the Barrel and pincushion distortion entry here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons90/page9.asp - looks like that is what is happening to me

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So the s90 embeds info to compensate for distortion, but my RAW viewer doesn't understand it? Guess I can try loading Canon's software and open the same image to verify.

\/\/\/ All news to me, but I'm pretty new to digital photography. The s90/95 is listed as compatible on the UFRaw webpage, but it is opening the files so the distortion thing may not apply.

edit2: Yeah this is getting complicated... Unless there's a recommended RAW program I may break down and install the Canon software and just be done with it.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 24, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

So the s90 embeds info to compensate for distortion, but my RAW viewer doesn't understand it? Guess I can try loading Canon's software and open the same image to verify.

Close, but not quite:

If you shoot jpg, the camera automagically corrects the distortion during in-camera processing. If you shoot RAW, no correction is applied.

The various RAW convertor software can be designed to understand that the RAW they are looking at is from a particular camera and to apply a certain correction profile, based on that camera model and the focal length used.

That is why, when a new camera comes out, the RAW convertors on the market will not know how to process the distortion correction until they are updated with the latest camera definition.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Damnit guys, I think my s90 has a dead pixel on the sensor :cry:

Somebody earlier in the thread said Canon had pretty kickass customer service, fingers crossed...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Damnit guys, I think my s90 has a dead pixel on the sensor :cry:

Somebody earlier in the thread said Canon had pretty kickass customer service, fingers crossed...

When was it bought new? There is a 1 year warranty on it, but I managed to get mine fixed one month out of warranty. But yeah the service was great. I shipped my camera out USPS priority on a Saturday and I got it back and repaired on Friday.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got a camera for my birthday, and I have no idea what to think of it. It's a Nikon S3000, it says it is 12mp, but I don't know if that is good, bad, or in between for a P&S.

Is it a good enough camera for someone that just wants to be able to take decent looking pictures? I can find specifications for it, but I don't know how to read them.

My last camera was from when they still used film.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

What you don't know can't hurt you. I'm sure it'll be fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Except I can tell when I hate a photo, and some point and shoot cameras in the past have pissed me off by restoring the original settings the instant you look away from the camera. Are there cheaper cameras that have good manual settings? I am not afraid of learning how to take a decent picture, I just don't have the cash to drop on an S95, let alone a DSLR. And since I'm already into guns, guitars, cars, and computers, I think I have enough expensive hobbies without developing (ha-ha) a new one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Except I can tell when I hate a photo, and some point and shoot cameras in the past have pissed me off by restoring the original settings the instant you look away from the camera. Are there cheaper cameras that have good manual settings? I am not afraid of learning how to take a decent picture, I just don't have the cash to drop on an S95, let alone a DSLR. And since I'm already into guns, guitars, cars, and computers, I think I have enough expensive hobbies without developing (ha-ha) a new one.

It's not an ideal camera, in that it doesn't have manual or program modes, instead it relys on a range of scene modes.

That said, it is perfectly possible to take good photos with this. Hell, there are some good photos out there that were taken on 1st gen iPhones and Lomos and they are both, objectively speaking, shite.

Read the manual. Understand what the modes do. Look up a beginners guide on the web to work out what the various scene modes actually do and you can easily get good stuff out of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I guess it at least gives you some sort of ISO control and white balance, from looking at the manual. I'll give it a spin. As long as people that aren't photographers can't tell that the photos are bad, I should be more or less happy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. I guess it at least gives you some sort of ISO control and white balance, from looking at the manual. I'll give it a spin. As long as people that aren't photographers can't tell that the photos are bad, I should be more or less happy.

It does have exposure compensation, so you are not completely at the whim of the built-in computer.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Radbot posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the new Sony travel zoom, the HX9V? I was going to get the Panny ZS10 but the IQ is horrible, and the Sony video is simply goddamn amazing. The pano options look nice, too.

I'd also like an opinion on this. The image quality obviously doesn't match up to the S95 or LX5 or XZ-1 or what have you, but I like the 16x zoom, the panorama mode was pretty nifty when I tried it out, and the video quality is beautiful. I'm just trying to figure out if that's worth the tradeoff in IQ.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Cacator posted:

I'd also like an opinion on this. The image quality obviously doesn't match up to the S95 or LX5 or XZ-1 or what have you, but I like the 16x zoom, the panorama mode was pretty nifty when I tried it out, and the video quality is beautiful. I'm just trying to figure out if that's worth the tradeoff in IQ.

I have zero experience with that camera, but I've personally never seen a (digital) travel zoom with good image quality, for indoor/low light shots. People might think, "Oh it's 350 dollars it's going to be a better camera than this 150 dollar camera in the same line." But they typically have the exact same tiny sensor as that 150 dollar camera, and occasionally an even smaller sensor so they can pack more zoom in to focus on a smaller area. And then they let in less light on top of that. But some people are perfectly happy with them, so YMMV.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

e: wrong thread

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Epi Lepi posted:

After doing a little research today I think I'm going to buy an Panasonic Lumix ZS10 camera. It has a good optical zoom, is wide angle, and has an ISO equivalent of up to 6400. Is there any reason I should consider something else over this camera? Again, most of my picture taking is at concerts, day and night, indoor and outdoor.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS10-Digital-Stabilized-Function/dp/tech-data/B004KKZ0HY/ref=de_a_smtd

This is from a while back, but in case you haven't made your purchase yet let me just say that I am a big fan of the Panasonic series. The ZS10 however made the jump from CCD to CMOS sensor which brought worse image quality with it. I'd therefore recommend the predecessor ZS7 which also has the advantage of being considerably cheaper. Just my 2 cents.

quote:

EDIT: Do all SLR's have detachable lenses? That's usually the wording a venue will use to limit cameras: "all cameras with detachable lenses are prohibited." Which is the whole reason I'm looking at a Point and Shoot instead of an SLR.

I can't think of one that hasn't. But even if you find one they'll probably won't allow it, as it "looks" like a DSLR anyway, while "pocket-cameras" are cool.

\/ Excellent.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 9, 2011

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I can't think of one that hasn't.

Olympus E-10 and E-20.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
What is the take on the Canon ELPH 500 HS?
I'm not an experienced photographer by any standard and want to get a decent camera for general use. I've played around with exposure settings and stuff but am no expert.

Not sure if I really need RAW, or the full manual controls that the Canon s95 has to offer. Moreover, it is 100 dollars more expensive.

I have always thought I would one day like to learn to shoot manually, but i don't see myself sitting down and spending the time processing RAW images on my computer.

So am I looking in the right direction with the 500 HS?
Or is it better to go with the s95?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

This is from a while back, but in case you haven't made your purchase yet let me just say that I am a big fan of the Panasonic series. The ZS10 however made the jump from CCD to CMOS sensor which brought worse image quality with it. I'd therefore recommend the predecessor ZS7 which also has the advantage of being considerably cheaper. Just my 2 cents.

I can't think of one that hasn't. But even if you find one they'll probably won't allow it, as it "looks" like a DSLR anyway, while "pocket-cameras" are cool.

Thank you for the advice man. Right now I'm trying to decide between that camera and the Nikon COOLPIX S9100. I get paid next week and then I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and get a new camera.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Kalix posted:

What is the take on the Canon ELPH 500 HS?
I'm not an experienced photographer by any standard and want to get a decent camera for general use. I've played around with exposure settings and stuff but am no expert.

Not sure if I really need RAW, or the full manual controls that the Canon s95 has to offer. Moreover, it is 100 dollars more expensive.

I have always thought I would one day like to learn to shoot manually, but i don't see myself sitting down and spending the time processing RAW images on my computer.

So am I looking in the right direction with the 500 HS?
Or is it better to go with the s95?

The S95 is going to be better even if you don't shoot RAW. I think it has a bigger sensor with less MPs crammed on it (which is a good thing) and it has physical buttons for most of the control. However, I don't think you're making a bad choice if you really don't want to spend $400. Judging from the specs, it looks pretty good and the common advice around here is "just buy the most expensive Canon you can afford".

Either way, if you do find out you really like photography, you won't kick yourself or buying the cheaper camera. You'll probably start considering a DSLR at that point.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I was looking for a low-budget option, and my search criteria ran into the Canon IXUS120IS, alias SD940.

For a price of 1200 crowns (for reference, the S95 would cost about 3400) I would get a fully CHDK-compatible PnS (meaning I will be able to shoot RAW and use all the manual spergy controls, right?) that also happens to support 720p@30fps video capture (although only in .mov). Good reviews too. Seems a good starting point for a dude who wants to try messing with white counterbalances and ISO 9010 but might very well get bored of it in a summer.

I just want to check, is there any non-obvious reason to absolutely stay away from it - e.g. this series' sensor is a piece of crap that hides behinds the inflated 12MP resolution, a max of 1600 ISO will be crippling, stuff like that?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 8, 2011

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Semi-crossposting here---The Olympus XZ-1 is great. Here's a few more non-cat photos.

Fly Boeing by HeyEng, on Flickr

+/- by HeyEng, on Flickr

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

HeyEng posted:

Semi-crossposting here---The Olympus XZ-1 is great. Here's a few more non-cat photos.

Fly Boeing by HeyEng, on Flickr

+/- by HeyEng, on Flickr

I really like both of these, in particular the second one :)

If the Xz-1 was a bit more pocketable I would love to have swapped my S90 for one. It has a lovely screen on the back and the feel of it and the spec are good and these pictures are excellent.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I was looking for a low-budget option, and my search criteria ran into the Canon IXUS120IS, alias SD940.

For a price of 1200 crowns (for reference, the S95 would cost about 3400) I would get a fully CHDK-compatible PnS (meaning I will be able to shoot RAW and use all the manual spergy controls, right?) that also happens to support 720p@30fps video capture (although only in .mov). Good reviews too. Seems a good starting point for a dude who wants to try messing with white counterbalances and ISO 9010 but might very well get bored of it in a summer.

I just want to check, is there any non-obvious reason to absolutely stay away from it - e.g. this series' sensor is a piece of crap that hides behinds the inflated 12MP resolution, a max of 1600 ISO will be crippling, stuff like that?

I can't see anything wrong with that.

That said, you would have to try very hard to get a bad Canon P&S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

HeyEng posted:

Nice. Just ordered the XZ-1 for myself, spent a good couple of days going through comparative models (plus all of day trying to convince my buddy at work that I *don't* want a 4/3rds interchangable). Looking forward to playing with it, my last camera was a PS A510 so I think things have moved on slightly since!

• Locked thread