Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

relative_q posted:

Thanks, dude. Did you manage to get a copy of the 12"? If not, I still have a few left taking up space in my apartment if you want one.

I don't have the EP actually, I've just heard your stuff from apt one posting it on the hollerboard a ways back (that guy is an ill DJ too). Also, as an aside, I just switched my personal site over to indexhibit based on your page... it's exactly what I wanted, so thanks for the inspiration :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

That Wicked Walrus posted:

I don't have the EP actually, I've just heard your stuff from apt one posting it on the hollerboard a ways back (that guy is an ill DJ too). Also, as an aside, I just switched my personal site over to indexhibit based on your page... it's exactly what I wanted, so thanks for the inspiration :)

The only thing that sucks about indexhibit is that it doesn't generate rss. I actually write all the rss for the podcast in a text editor because I don't feel like spending $40 on an application to do it for me. Apparently there's some way to plug Wordpress into it, but :effort:

But I digress. If you wanna check out the EP and subsequent singles, they're available at pretty much any DJ site you can think of except whatpeopleplay.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Has anyone gotten a chance to play with the new Serato SL4 yet? I'm seriously considering trading up pretty soon; it looks like it'd solve a lot of the annoyances I have with my SL1.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

relative_q posted:

Has anyone gotten a chance to play with the new Serato SL4 yet? I'm seriously considering trading up pretty soon; it looks like it'd solve a lot of the annoyances I have with my SL1.

My SL3 was 1000x better than my SL1, so I can only assume that the SL4 is 2000x better than the SL1.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

That's kinda what I was afraid of. Stupid thing costs $800...

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

relative_q posted:

That's kinda what I was afraid of. Stupid thing costs $800...

There's always the SL2, but that's more of a sidegrade.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Would there be a downside for me ordering an S4 from a US ebay seller (who appears to be a proper shop anyway).

There are a couple selling for $900, when they're over £700 new here...

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Would there be a downside for me ordering an S4 from a US ebay seller (who appears to be a proper shop anyway).

There are a couple selling for $900, when they're over £700 new here...

No support since warranty is done by territory.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Ah, poo poo. is that worth over £200 though?

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

The warrenty is around $150-200 I'm hearing, but it's worth a hell of a lot if something spills on it.

I'm thinking of getting an S4 and I think I'm going to go through a local seller here to get the warrenty.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
yeah same for me, I was considering ordering from djtechtools cause even with shipping it be a few hundreds cheaper than I can get it here (Switzerland). But in case something goes wrong or whatever you're screwed.

Going to order from a local store.

proj
Jan 4, 2010
Awesome thread!

I've been working with music production (hip hop and DnB) for a while now and now I'm looking to try my hand at dj-ing...

Has anyone had any experience with the Vestax Typhoon? I'm only looking for a good entry level controller set up as 1) I don't have the room for anything bigger ans 2) I don't have the coin to shell out for turntables etc...

So yeah, any feedback on the typhoon would be greatly appreciated.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

proj posted:

Awesome thread!

I've been working with music production (hip hop and DnB) for a while now and now I'm looking to try my hand at dj-ing...

Has anyone had any experience with the Vestax Typhoon? I'm only looking for a good entry level controller set up as 1) I don't have the room for anything bigger ans 2) I don't have the coin to shell out for turntables etc...

So yeah, any feedback on the typhoon would be greatly appreciated.

I picked up the Typhoon to take with me travelling (I'm basically just relocating rather than travelling per se) and it seems alright. To be honest I'm switching from turntables and Serato to the Typhoon and Traktor - to be frank I prefer playing with vinyl, it's more tactile and requires more intuition / listening then button pushing / watching. Also, Traktor's organization system sucks compared to Serato, imo. I just chalk most of my frustation up to preference / the learning process though; it's simply a different way of DJing.

I've had it in squashed in my backpack as is and nothing has broken yet - touch wood. I dunno, kind of a crap review since I haven't actually used any other controllers out there. It's definitely ugly and made of plastic and doesn't have any knobs (again a preference thing, the sliders are in a line and not mirrored so sometimes I reach for the gain and get the high or low slider) but it feels solid enough. I've been mapping it out in traktor to use with four decks, but it's ill suited for that really. It falls a bit short on extra buttons, limiting what you can do in terms of loops/hot cues etc. I'd say if you can find a VCI-100 used that'd be a better option for the same sort of coin. What I wanted to do to be honest but nothing came together before I left. It does have an internal soundcard which puts it ahead of the vci-100 but still, lack of buttons is frustrating - this could be addressed with a nanokontol or something along these lines. Platters themselves seem pretty good, but again I haven't tried other controllers.

Any specific questions? I think ultimately I would say "buy nice or buy twice." If you're serious about this you'll probably outgrow it. Check your local craigslist for deals on used gear.

proj
Jan 4, 2010

Cowboy. posted:

I picked up the Typhoon to take with me travelling (I'm basically just relocating rather than travelling per se) and it seems alright. To be honest I'm switching from turntables and Serato to the Typhoon and Traktor - to be frank I prefer playing with vinyl, it's more tactile and requires more intuition / listening then button pushing / watching. Also, Traktor's organization system sucks compared to Serato, imo. I just chalk most of my frustation up to preference / the learning process though; it's simply a different way of DJing.

I've had it in squashed in my backpack as is and nothing has broken yet - touch wood. I dunno, kind of a crap review since I haven't actually used any other controllers out there. It's definitely ugly and made of plastic and doesn't have any knobs (again a preference thing, the sliders are in a line and not mirrored so sometimes I reach for the gain and get the high or low slider) but it feels solid enough. I've been mapping it out in traktor to use with four decks, but it's ill suited for that really. It falls a bit short on extra buttons, limiting what you can do in terms of loops/hot cues etc. I'd say if you can find a VCI-100 used that'd be a better option for the same sort of coin. What I wanted to do to be honest but nothing came together before I left. It does have an internal soundcard which puts it ahead of the vci-100 but still, lack of buttons is frustrating - this could be addressed with a nanokontol or something along these lines. Platters themselves seem pretty good, but again I haven't tried other controllers.

Any specific questions? I think ultimately I would say "buy nice or buy twice." If you're serious about this you'll probably outgrow it. Check your local craigslist for deals on used gear.

Thanks for the reply!

Personally I'd rather vinyl & serato, but I can't really justify the spend at the moment with my current skill level.

Either way, definitely some food for thought, might try to pick up a VCI-100, I prefer knobs over sliders...

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

proj posted:

Thanks for the reply!

Personally I'd rather vinyl & serato, but I can't really justify the spend at the moment with my current skill level.

Either way, definitely some food for thought, might try to pick up a VCI-100, I prefer knobs over sliders...

Are you sure an S4 won't work for you? I own a VCI-100 and got a chance to try the S4 recently and I think it's a huge difference. For one, the build quality is better. It's no CDJ but a lot less plasticy than the VCI-100. Second, the integration with Traktor Pro 2 is perfect and you don't need an additional audio interface.

Also, a quick comparison of retail prices:

VCI-100: €369
Audio 2 Interface: €94
Traktor Pro 2: €189

Makes €652. The same store sells the S4 for €879. It's 35% more, but you get a better product and a better experience.

Serendipitaet fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 3, 2011

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010
I was checking beatport for some tracks for the first time... and what the gently caress 1euro fee for wavs?

Should i suck it up and pay more or stick to mp3s?

Horrido fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 3, 2011

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Horrido posted:

I was checking beatport for some tracks for the first time... and what the gently caress 1euro fee for wavs?

I personally only use mp3 and I think it is sufficient but I have a friend who is a bit pedantic about it and swears he hears a difference between mp3 and wav (which I very muchly doubt so..) so he pays the fee for the wavs. Also since wav is not compressed audio, it is a bit faster to load the tune in tratkor (or should be a bit faster)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Horrido posted:

They've always charged more for wavs.

There was a lot of discussion about the merits of wav over mp3 earlier in the thread that is probably worth a read. In summary

WAV: better sound quality, no true tagging support, uses a lot more disk space (about 5 to 10x)

MP3: better tagging, smaller

FLAC support would be awesome and a good happy medium but Beatport hasn't gotten around to it, not sure what the reasoning is

IMHO MP3 is fine at 320k, I'm not one of those hardcore audiophile nerds who insists that they can hear the difference when using oxygen treated 24k gold interconnects or whatever the gently caress. I've play MP3s on a Funktion 1 soundsystem and have never noticed a problem

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010
Ok guess i'll stick with mp3, i don't have much money.

Thanks as always :) !

proj
Jan 4, 2010

Serendipitaet posted:

Are you sure an S4 won't work for you? I own a VCI-100 and got a chance to try the S4 recently and I think it's a huge difference. For one, the build quality is better. It's no CDJ but a lot less plasticy than the VCI-100. Second, the integration with Traktor Pro 2 is perfect and you don't need an additional audio interface.

Also, a quick comparison of retail prices:

VCI-100: €369
Audio 2 Interface: €94
Traktor Pro 2: €189

Makes €652. The same store sells the S4 for €879. It's 35% more, but you get a better product and a better experience.

I have looked at the s4, and it is quite an impressive bit of kit... However, I live in Australia and the price for the S4 borders on rrp. $1100AUD... Which is a bit out of my price range...

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

proj posted:

Thanks for the reply!

In the same price range as the Typhoon, I've had really great experiences with the Hercules DJ Console RMX. Built-in soundcard, built like a brick (it's made of brushed steel and feels like a real piece of kit). I've found it plenty customizable as well, and it has a good feel and adjustable jog wheels. All in all I can't recommend it more for under $300.

http://www.hercules.com/us/DJ-Music/bdd/p/62/dj-console-rmx/

shyguise
Jul 13, 2009
I have a bunch of suspicious files and i want to check if they are either re-encoded mp3s or poorly mixed/mastered track. Do you guys have any techniques/programs for analyzing mp3s on an apple computer to make sure they are not re-encoded 320s?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

proj posted:

I have looked at the s4, and it is quite an impressive bit of kit... However, I live in Australia and the price for the S4 borders on rrp. $1100AUD... Which is a bit out of my price range...

The VCI-100 is decent and in fact I just ordered an interface and a laptop stand because I want to move away from CDs. Since the S4 and the new line of NI interfaces is out I imagine prices for used equipment might have dropped a bit.

Do you know http://www.djtechtools.com/ Their forums are a bit crap but the mappings are very good and well documented by video tutorials.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

shyguise posted:

I have a bunch of suspicious files and i want to check if they are either re-encoded mp3s or poorly mixed/mastered track. Do you guys have any techniques/programs for analyzing mp3s on an apple computer to make sure they are not re-encoded 320s?

I'm not clear what you're looking to test here. You have MP3 files that don't sound good and you are looking to check the bit rate? If so, you can do that in iTunes.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

No he's trying to figure out if his mp3s which are encoded at 320 were reencoded from a lower bitrate source originally

e: you can take any crap audio file and reencode it to 320 but that isn't going to magically make it sound better

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

No he's trying to figure out if his mp3s which are encoded at 320 were reencoded from a lower bitrate source originally

e: you can take any crap audio file and reencode it to 320 but that isn't going to magically make it sound better

Well yeah but there's not really a way to test that is there? I mean, other than the file sounding like crap.

Also, this is one of those reasons why you should buy your music.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Chitin posted:

Well yeah but there's not really a way to test that is there? I mean, other than the file sounding like crap.

Yep

Chitin posted:

Also, this is one of those reasons why you should buy your music.

Yep

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003

Chitin posted:

In the same price range as the Typhoon, I've had really great experiences with the Hercules DJ Console RMX. Built-in soundcard, built like a brick (it's made of brushed steel and feels like a real piece of kit). I've found it plenty customizable as well, and it has a good feel and adjustable jog wheels. All in all I can't recommend it more for under $300.

http://www.hercules.com/us/DJ-Music/bdd/p/62/dj-console-rmx/

The Hercules rmx is great. Ive had mine for about two years and it's a solid, dependable piece of equipment that has never let me down. The only reason I would upgrade is if I had the money to go hog wild with dj equipment and gadgets along the lines of Zabiela.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

relative_q posted:

SL4 is sick.

My old DJ cohort and I destroyed this dive bar in my hometown when I was up for a visit a few weeks ago. We play mashup, and thus have pretty extensive music libraries and tear through songs pretty quickly (a bootleg, two-man DJ Craze). In the past, I've plugged a hard drive into his computer and spent the better part of four hours "syncing" our iTunes libraries before the show, and we traded off. Since SL4 can use two computers, I just had to plug in and we were good to go. We were able to browse our libraries and cue up tracks on the third deck when the other was playing. It was REALLY handy when a buddy of ours showed up with his computer around midnight, and we could just plug him in without interrupting the music.

(Oh god then an MC friend of ours happened to roll by around 11:30, and we just happen to have a microphone. I played a bunch of glitch instrumentals, my cohort scratched on the third deck, and the MC got on the mic... lfuhoiugweouiyggiysd it was so bad rear end.)

We used three decks, an Empath (which conveniently has two headphone outputs), our computers, Dicers, and an MPD24 to trigger whatever seemed fun in SSL. It was an awesome setup, and we were all over the drat place playing loops and samples and acapellas and poo poo.

With SL4, you have to select which virtual deck receives control from which real deck with a dropdown menu, and both computers cannot receive control from the same deck simultaneously. Luckily we had an hour to soundcheck before the bar opened, and managed to work the kinks out.

However, if you plan to use SL4 at a show, make for drat sure you have the right version of SSL. Serato recently released a version (2.2.2 I think) that you must download if you want to use SL4. The only caveat I have with 2.2.2 is that if you switch to the horizontal track view to accomodate more than two virtual decks, it only allows 2 or 4, not just 3. It would have been nice to be able to free up screen real estate for the browser.

A major bonus with the new software is that Relative mode works a hell of a lot better. In the previous version while in Relative mode you had to manually move the starting point back on the virtual deck. The new Relative mode actually detects the needle's physical position on the record like Absolute mode, except it doesn't skip. Very convenient addition, especially when there are people jumping on the stage. Heh.

If I were doing more tag team sets or 2x4s, I'd pick up SL4 in a heartbeat. For now I'm going to stick with SL1. I've also been drooling over the SIxty-Eight since it was released. It would be so killer to use Video SL.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 6, 2011

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Emergency advice needed:

I just got a last-minute call for a gig tonight. I need to buy two needles/cartridges for it within the next couple hours. If I can't make it happen, this booking agent will probably dump me.

Which DJ carts should I buy in the $60 range?

Thanks!

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

Emergency advice needed:

I just got a last-minute call for a gig tonight. I need to buy two needles/cartridges for it within the next couple hours. If I can't make it happen, this booking agent will probably dump me.

Which DJ carts should I buy in the $60 range?

Thanks!
Try some Shure M-44G. $65 each.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

vas0line posted:

Try some Shure M-44G. $65 each.

Thanks. I'll get those when I need them. My collaborator came through last night. Thank God, since he's got the good gear and monitor. (btw Portlanders check us out every Sunday at the Yes and No starting next week)

pg2011
Feb 23, 2008

I can see clearly now
The brain is gone...

shyguise posted:

So you're looking to see if files are a transcode? I use Spek (http://www.spek-project.org/). It's multi-platform, free, and very straightforward.

Different encoding settings cut off frequencies past a certain point. 128 kbps files, for example, cut off all sounds above 16 kHz in order to make the file size smaller. When people convert 128 to 320 (or anything above 128), Spek will show that the mp3 still cuts off at 16 kHz because converting to 320 can't magically bring back the sounds above 16 kHz.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

pg2011 posted:

So you're looking to see if files are a transcode? I use Spek (http://www.spek-project.org/). It's multi-platform, free, and very straightforward.

Different encoding settings cut off frequencies past a certain point. 128 kbps files, for example, cut off all sounds above 16 kHz in order to make the file size smaller. When people convert 128 to 320 (or anything above 128), Spek will show that the mp3 still cuts off at 16 kHz because converting to 320 can't magically bring back the sounds above 16 kHz.

Oh. Brilliant!

The more you know...

That said, still... buy your music.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

pg2011 posted:

Neat!

Faikon
Aug 2, 2007

I wrote a 46 page story about a Dark Eldar girl who hates her parents, need critiques please.
:negative:

djtechtools.com had a $100 off coupon for the S4 that expired July 5th. Couple that with the Traktor Scratch Pro Upgrade deal that NI has going on right now (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor/?content=1604) and I would have snatched that up in a heartbeat.

Edit: Pleaded my dismay to customer service, they offered a new code for $100. These guys are fantastic!

Faikon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 14, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just a quick question for the more experienced fellas, but what's the way to chain song drops, like say in house or drum and bass? A lot of the big DJs I know will just play song drop after drop after drop, then a breakdown for a bit, followed by more drops. Is this just already having certain cue points established in advance for those songs? Or is there something else they're doing that you can do on the fly and keep that energy going? I feel like most songs have such long intros that as soon as a drop hits from song A, if I start up song B at the intro, by the time song B hits the drop song A has already gone into a breakdown. I hope that made sense.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

The Dark Wind posted:

Just a quick question for the more experienced fellas, but what's the way to chain song drops, like say in house or drum and bass? A lot of the big DJs I know will just play song drop after drop after drop, then a breakdown for a bit, followed by more drops. Is this just already having certain cue points established in advance for those songs? Or is there something else they're doing that you can do on the fly and keep that energy going? I feel like most songs have such long intros that as soon as a drop hits from song A, if I start up song B at the intro, by the time song B hits the drop song A has already gone into a breakdown. I hope that made sense.

It's either, as you said, pre-set (hot)cue's that you trigger at the right moment or it's simply skipping the entire intro of a track and mixing it in a few bars before another drop, using loops if necessary. Mostly these guys will know what songs work well together and do the same transitions often, especially if it's done with a non-laptop setup.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I'm playing my first club gig tomorrow night... I'm bricking it but feel like I've nailed this set and can't wait to get behind the decks. A real mix of nerves and excitement.

Anyone have any first set tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

CareyB posted:

I'm playing my first club gig tomorrow night... I'm bricking it but feel like I've nailed this set and can't wait to get behind the decks. A real mix of nerves and excitement.

Anyone have any first set tips?

Pump your hands in the air and bob your head. A classic!

Real post: Have fun with it. I'm not sure if you're a laptop dj, but if you are, try not to look like you're standing there reading your emails. Crowd interaction is a big part of getting the crowd into your mix.