Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

visuvius posted:

Either I'm doing the 3D picture thing wrong or my camera is busted. I can't seem to get a crisp, in focus 3D picture. I am seeing both images, almost overlapping but not really. Its like they're not aligning properly. Anyone else have this problem or is it just super finicky?

You can see if one of your cameras is busted thus screwing up the 3D effect.

Download this guy:
http://www.stereoscopynews.com/download/software/654-mpo-toolbox.html

Pull your MPO picture off the phone and drag it over the MPO2JPEGS.exe file and drop it. It will pull apart the two jpegs and you can see if one is crazy out of focus.

Oh and then convert it to anaglyph and put on your old school red/blue 3d glasses and be amaaazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Leathal posted:

Is there a way to use the USB tethering option on my Evo3d without downloading a third party app like PDAnet or dealing with HTC Sync bloatware (150 meg setup program? Shouldn't there just be a driver or something?)

It's disabled on the phone by Sprint.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Another question, sorry.

So I'm signing up for a new plan for me and my GF. EPRP, she's coming over from ATT. Porting her number isn't an issue.

My current contract ends in 2 days. When I enter my number in the "bring existing number to sprint" box, like I did hers, it says that eligibility cannot be determined or something like that. Whats the best way about getting my current Sprint number to this shared plan? edit: I'm reading something about a Transfer of Liability?

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 5, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

traveling midget posted:

It's disabled on the phone by Sprint.

Welp. Thanks for the info.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tuckfard posted:

Another question, sorry.

So I'm signing up for a new plan for me and my GF. EPRP, she's coming over from ATT. Porting her number isn't an issue.

My current contract ends in 2 days. When I enter my number in the "bring existing number to sprint" box, like I did hers, it says that eligibility cannot be determined or something like that. Whats the best way about getting my current Sprint number to this shared plan? edit: I'm reading something about a Transfer of Liability?

Are you on Sprint or AT&T? If you have a Sprint number you can't get EPRP. If you are both coming from AT&T you can. Also remember to register your port credit at sprint.com/switchtosprint so you get $125 a line.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you on Sprint or AT&T? If you have a Sprint number you can't get EPRP. If you are both coming from AT&T you can. Also remember to register your port credit at sprint.com/switchtosprint so you get $125 a line.

She is on AT&T and I am on Sprint. My contract ends on Thursday so I want to sign up for a new shared EPRP for the both of us.

What I'm mainly asking is how do I go about keeping my number. Normally I wouldn't mind getting a new number as I haven't lived in the area code of my current for a while, but I've recently applied for a lot of jobs and my old number will be on my resume.

More or less, she is coming from another provider and signing up for an EPRP account. My contract is over so I'd like to join her on that account, but keep my number. Is that at all possible?

vvvv If that is possible then that would be perfectly fine, since all I'd really need that old number for would be the (rare) chance that I get a call back from jobs I've applied for recently.

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 5, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The only way I can think of doing it (and I don't really know poo poo so don't hold my word to mean anything) would be porting your number to Google Voice for the $20 or $25 it costs in a couple days when your contract's up, and signing up as a new number on Sprint with your lady. That way you can forward all your poo poo to your new phone and still get calls to that old number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

The only way I can think of doing it (and I don't really know poo poo so don't hold my word to mean anything) would be porting your number to Google Voice for the $20 or $25 it costs in a couple days when your contract's up, and signing up as a new number on Sprint with your lady. That way you can forward all your poo poo to your new phone and still get calls to that old number.

This, do this.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Jensen posted:

You can see if one of your cameras is busted thus screwing up the 3D effect.

Download this guy:
http://www.stereoscopynews.com/download/software/654-mpo-toolbox.html

Pull your MPO picture off the phone and drag it over the MPO2JPEGS.exe file and drop it. It will pull apart the two jpegs and you can see if one is crazy out of focus.

Oh and then convert it to anaglyph and put on your old school red/blue 3d glasses and be amaaazed.

You know I think I just needed time to get used to it. The pictures definitely take a second or two to pop correctly for me, its kind of like those magic eye things from the 90's. Once I focused my eyes correctly, it actually looked kind of amazing. I took an otherwise super boring picture of the inside of an In-n-Out and it looked insane. I'm sure I'll get bored with that.

I need to look into the anaglyph thing, and find a pair of those cheapo 3d glasses.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

visuvius posted:

You know I think I just needed time to get used to it. The pictures definitely take a second or two to pop correctly for me, its kind of like those magic eye things from the 90's. Once I focused my eyes correctly, it actually looked kind of amazing. I took an otherwise super boring picture of the inside of an In-n-Out and it looked insane. I'm sure I'll get bored with that.

The screen definitely has a narrow viewing angle when you're looking at 3D content. Also, there's a range that works best; anything closer than about a foot doesn't ever come out good, and anything further away than about 40 feet just looks flat (large buildings, etc.). Other than that, I've really enjoyed the novelty so far.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

The screen definitely has a narrow viewing angle when you're looking at 3D content. Also, there's a range that works best; anything closer than about a foot doesn't ever come out good, and anything further away than about 40 feet just looks flat (large buildings, etc.). Other than that, I've really enjoyed the novelty so far.

You know you can adjust the 3d affect? Click the little wand icon on the picture and you can fix those ones that are too close by lowering the 3d effect (left button) and add 3d affect to the far away shots (right button).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Anyone know if the latest OTA updates for the firmware/software on the EVO 3D are rootable? I like to have the latest updates while still being able to hack the thing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

DaveKap posted:

Anyone know if the latest OTA updates for the firmware/software on the EVO 3D are rootable? I like to have the latest updates while still being able to hack the thing.

Nothing is publicly rootable yet, but some people have reported success. They said 'don't update anything'. YMMV.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Leathal posted:

Is there a way to use the USB tethering option on my Evo3d without downloading a third party app like PDAnet or dealing with HTC Sync bloatware (150 meg setup program? Shouldn't there just be a driver or something?)

PDANet is quite tiny and does the job well enough. You don't have to keep it running when you're not using it either.

DaveKap posted:

I wish. It looks like HTC is going to break their promise on unlocking the bootloader. gently caress. Now we just have to wait until someone hacks it. Temporary root works and they're getting closer to permanent root every day now.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 6, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

visuvius posted:

Not yet but I will. I was going to try a few more shots, some outside to see if I could get it right. I think its just me.

What about the demo shots that came preloaded?

My evo 3d front screen becomes unresponsive about once a day where nothing on the front screen responds. Except the area by the launcher at the bottom. Very weird.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Duckman2008 posted:

This, do this.

That's super cool and perfect because I've wanted a new number for a long time.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I took the plunge yesterday and switched from AT&T to Sprint, and picked up an EVO 3D. I didn't realize that Google Voice integrates so well, to the point where I was trying to find all of my text messages and didn't notice they were automatically sent to my GV number. Awesome stuff since I use the GV number as my main one anyway.

I noticed on my account page it says I have used 1.3MB of Data Roaming, out of Unlimited. Does this actually mean that I won't be charged for using Data on Domestic Roaming? That's pretty loving awesome if so. (Everything 450 Plan)

My other question might be more device-related, but Google Voice doesn't seem to be automatically syncing like it was on my Captivate. I have to manually refresh the app to receive any notifications. Background Data and Auto Sync are on. Even adding the widget to a home screen doesn't change anything.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krittick posted:

I noticed on my account page it says I have used 1.3MB of Data Roaming, out of Unlimited. Does this actually mean that I won't be charged for using Data on Domestic Roaming? That's pretty loving awesome if so. (Everything 450 Plan)

Correct. The only time it becomes an issue is if you have excessive roaming data use over a long time, because then you cost more to Sprint than you pay them. I forget what qualifies as such but I believe it's pretty damned generous.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jensen posted:

You know you can adjust the 3d affect? Click the little wand icon on the picture and you can fix those ones that are too close by lowering the 3d effect (left button) and add 3d affect to the far away shots (right button).

There needs to be a Neo :woah: for times like this. I guess I just haven't tried to edit a 3D photo yet.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Correct. The only time it becomes an issue is if you have excessive roaming data use over a long time, because then you cost more to Sprint than you pay them. I forget what qualifies as such but I believe it's pretty damned generous.
Anything over 300MB of roaming and Sprint will likely terminate your service. But I think I once calculated that that would take 18 hours of nonstop downloading at the 1xRTT speeds you're limited to. So it's really a non-issue.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

IOwnCalculus posted:

td4guy posted:

Anything over 300MB of roaming and Sprint will likely terminate your service. But I think I once calculated that that would take 18 hours of nonstop downloading at the 1xRTT speeds you're limited to. So it's really a non-issue.

Thanks. I doubt I'd ever hit that. There's just a spot at work I spend a decent amount of time in that has no coverage, and I don't want to miss any notifications.

I also fixed the Google Voice issue by sending the messages to the standard Messages app. Since sending texts from it uses my GV number anyway, there's no need to ever use the GV app itself. :v:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

I've been checking out my images on my 3D TV, and the distance objects actually look really good if there is anything close to contract with. In fact, images I thought looked bad on the phone (as far as depth, not lighting or focus) seem to look good when blown up. Because of that, I went from carefully taking 3D shots to snapping them with much less thought, under the assumption that the best ones will be found later.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

I wish. It looks like HTC is going to break their promise on unlocking the bootloader. gently caress. Now we just have to wait until someone hacks it. Temporary root works and they're getting closer to permanent root every day now.

It's been less than two weeks since release. It's a bit early to jump on the XDA bandwagon and declare "htc lied, epic fail!!!!" As soon as they said it would ship locked and would be unlocked later, I expected a month for the unlock. Moto and SE are unlocking bootloaders, so I really doubt HTC is going to lie about going that route.

There is a concern about rooting and warranties, which sounds dumb, except that WiMAX has some very real issues. Every phone has unique MAC address and RSA keys, both of which were messed up on the Evo 4G at one point or another by rooting or just flashing custom ROMs. Anyway, HTC may be investigating ways to keep phones safer like locking the WiMAX partition and unlocking the rest of the phone since there's no reason anyone needs to screw around with it.

I'm just guessing, but there are some legitimate concerns and HTC doesn't want to foot the bill because you bricked your phone. Also, I'm really hoping all manufacturers just unlock phones going forward.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

td4guy posted:

That may be the 'official' figure, but in shadier places where people hack their prls to, eg, prefer Verizon towers, they report regularly hitting a couple gigs of roaming data per month without complaint.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

900ftjesus posted:

It's been less than two weeks since release. It's a bit early to jump on the XDA bandwagon and declare "htc lied, epic fail!!!!" As soon as they said it would ship locked and would be unlocked later, I expected a month for the unlock. Moto and SE are unlocking bootloaders, so I really doubt HTC is going to lie about going that route.

Yeah, I probably should have worded it better. I just hope the carriers haven't insisted on keeping the bootloaders locked on their new flagship phones.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Question about the phone upgrade process. I won't hit 2 years on Sprint until December so all those rebates on phones aren't apparently available until then. However they all are listed as XXX discount with 2 year contract.

Why can't I nail 2 more years onto my existing contract and receive it that way - such that I have 30 months to go before getting off-contract?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

WoG posted:

That may be the 'official' figure, but in shadier places where people hack their prls to, eg, prefer Verizon towers, they report regularly hitting a couple gigs of roaming data per month without complaint.

Hopefully this doesn't fall into the shady category, but is there any way to make an Android phone prefer VZW roaming a little more strongly? My Pre would auto switch over to a Verizon tower when Sprint signal got in the one bar range, but this new Evo 3D will happily chug along at zero bars, sucking down battery life and making all voice calls sound like total rear end. I don't think it's roamed even once yet (assuming an R icon will show up).

My apartment is one of those zero bar places by the way.

I guess I could call retentions and get an AirRave, but that doesn't solve the problem when I'm out of the house. Oddly enough, I have close to perfect WiMax signal strength indoors here, just no voice/3G.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

td4guy posted:

I roam all the time at work, and I download everything from podcast to the weekly MIUI update on my phone here (plus stream all the time). So far not a peep from Sprint .

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Leathal posted:

Hopefully this doesn't fall into the shady category, but is there any way to make an Android phone prefer VZW roaming a little more strongly? My Pre would auto switch over to a Verizon tower when Sprint signal got in the one bar range, but this new Evo 3D will happily chug along at zero bars, sucking down battery life and making all voice calls sound like total rear end. I don't think it's roamed even once yet (assuming an R icon will show up).
Assuming it's like the EVO 4G, there is no roaming indicator that will show up at the top. In fact, unless it's changed in Sense 3.0, it won't even tell you when you're on 1x (it always just displays 3G even if you're not getting 3G).

quote:

I guess I could call retentions and get an AirRave, but that doesn't solve the problem when I'm out of the house. Oddly enough, I have close to perfect WiMax signal strength indoors here, just no voice/3G.
The Airave (or I think it's Airvana now) is probably your best bet overall. The next best thing you can do is enable wifi when you're home (if that's an option), which will at least prevent the phone from trying to latch on to a crappy 3G signal.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

brc64 posted:

Assuming it's like the EVO 4G, there is no roaming indicator that will show up at the top. In fact, unless it's changed in Sense 3.0, it won't even tell you when you're on 1x (it always just displays 3G even if you're not getting 3G).

What? Both the Evo 4G and the Evo 3D had both roaming and 1x indicators. In fact every time I go into the bathroom at work, my phone switches to roaming and I get the triangle indicator on the UI. Same was true on the 4G.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah I was roaming last night on my 3d. As a partial aside, I had no idea how quickly using the gps will drain your battery life.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

What? Both the Evo 4G and the Evo 3D had both roaming and 1x indicators. In fact every time I go into the bathroom at work, my phone switches to roaming and I get the triangle indicator on the UI. Same was true on the 4G.

Are you running CyanogenMod? Because the stock UI only displays 3G. It's possible that got changed in a later update, I guess, but I am 100% certain that when the phone launched, there was no 1x indicator. It was a bit of a controversy at the time.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
My Evo Shift always said 3g. When cyanogen came out for it I noticed it was always at 1x which I thought was a bug with Cyanogen. I installed some app that showed me data about the tower I connect to and it confirmed 1x. Went back to Sense and yep, connected to tower at 1x but Sense said 3g.

I had to go into some wacky settings that required my MSL and change some low level setting to enable 3g. So yes, Sense lies and always says 3g, at least on my Shift.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

brc64 posted:

Are you running CyanogenMod? Because the stock UI only displays 3G. It's possible that got changed in a later update, I guess, but I am 100% certain that when the phone launched, there was no 1x indicator. It was a bit of a controversy at the time.

I have a 4G and it tells me when I'm roaming. I'm using a stock-ish ROM.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

brc64 posted:

Hmm, you could be right about 1x, I haven't been on Sprints network without 3G in so long, now that you mention it.

There absolutely IS a roaming indicator icon though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Hmm, you could be right about 1x, I haven't been on Sprints network without 3G in so long, now that you mention it.

There absolutely IS a roaming indicator icon though.
It's been a while since I roamed regularly, so I may have just forgotten about the roaming triangle. That, or I was trying to picture an "R" icon as described in the post I quoted and couldn't remember that the indicator was actually a triangle.

Either way, I know I'm not crazy regarding the 1x/3G thing. It's not just the EVO, either... I vaguely remember one of the PocketNow videos talking about that on another phone (I want to say it was the Thunderbolt, but I'm not sure). Like I said, it could be something that they've fixed in an OTA update, though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The EVO 3D also only displays 3g regardless of connection. Kind of stupid really.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

The EVO 3D also only displays 3g regardless of connection. Kind of stupid really.

What? No there is 1x, 3g, roaming, and 4g indicators. Like 90% certain...

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I just came over to a 3d like leathal. The roaming icon is a triangle instead of an R. I've never seen a 1x icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

spidoman posted:

What? No there is 1x, 3g, roaming, and 4g indicators. Like 90% certain...

I am 100% sure there is no 1x icon on the stock evo 3d/4g.