Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
His pipes must not have been loud enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

man you know if he was wearing a helmet it would have borke his neck and left him paralyzed he got off lucky man.

*tear drops on to leather tassles*

For real though how many idiots have to die this way for people to realize that the FREEDOM RAYS you get from not wearing a helmet dont quite offset losing your drat life.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

man you know if he was wearing a helmet it would have borke his neck and left him paralyzed he got off lucky man.

For real though how many idiots have to die this way for people to realize that the FREEDOM RAYS you get from not wearing a helmet dont quite offset losing your drat life.

I admit, though, that I'm kinda of on the fence about helmet laws. Yes, I think it's incredibly stupid to ride without one, but should it be against the law? I just wonder where society should draw the line when it comes to protecting adults from their own decisions. I don't want a government telling me what kind of sex I'm allowed to have, or the gender of the person I'm allowed to marry... I can see why other people don't want anyone telling them how safe they have to be to ride.

Maybe motorcycle training in the US should be better, so people truly understand the risks involved? If it was harder to get a license, and people knew more about the kind of injuries that affect motorcyclists, they'd be more capable of making an informed decision. We've all seen threads from other forums where people think that crashing is just part of riding, man, and if you're not crashing enough then you're just too slow, broseph! If we could educate people out of that mindset, they'd probably realize that wearing a helmet is a drat good idea. On the other hand, maybe there's a given percentage out there that is just simply so stupid they're incapable of making the right decision. Why should we force it upon them?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Pagan posted:

On the other hand, maybe there's a given percentage out there that is just simply so stupid they're incapable of making the right decision. Why should we force it upon them?

You just answered it, cause they are too stupid to make their own decisions.

Just picture some guy yelling how it's his AMERICAN RIGHT to play russian roulette with his buds. Would nobody really try to stop him?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Phat_Albert posted:

Tassles are one thing I'll never get. It always makes me think of this:

and how they're trying to make a more manly version of it or something.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fishtailing and thrown over handlebars sounds like locked rear, let off and high sided.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

I'm not too sure about ABATE organizing a memorial for this guy.

I'd make sure I kept my distance at least. 40-50 morons without any training wobbling around, eyes full of flies. It might even cause an exponential memorial. 3 killed on that memorial, 3 each killed on their memorials etc etc.

But I suppose in the land of the free, the argument for helmet law stands on slightly shaky ground. It would be difficult to find a case where someone not wearing a helmet caused someone else's injury or death - as is the main argument behind red lights, speeding, DUI etc.

The main problem is the added cost of health insurance when these people need massive reconstructive surgery. Perhaps make them take out a non-helmet insurance policy, or have a non-helmet void clause in the regular one?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

hayden. posted:

Tassles crack me up, every time, without fail. Those, and that stupid whip that some riders have. http://www.chilhowee.net/whips.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha, they even recommend an application of clear nail polish, something I'm sure most riders have next to their spare tassels.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

nsaP posted:

I'll join the ninjette forums with a bit of humility toward the community, from my past local forum experiences. I still laugh at this though. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77973

The poor people are deluding themselves or simply haven't ridden a decent sized vtwin or I4. I love the bike but sorry, it's totally weak on the highway and I feel vulnerable the whole time.

I should mention I merged in a section at a speedo indicated 85 today like it was normal traffic to everyone around me, so that adds to the stress. 65 is the limit in a lot of highways around (although some it drops to 55), but it doesn't stop anyone from averaging over 70 and sometimes it's crazy. gently caress being stuck with 30 hp in 6th gear.
I've put ~13k miles, mostly highway, on mine in the nearly 2 years I've owned it and I've never felt vulnerable because of a lack of power. The 250 is perfectly capable of riding super slab at 70-80 all day long. You aren't going to out accelerate anyone at highway speeds in 6th gear, but thankfully, you're allowed to downshift.
If you feel vulnerable or stressed while riding on the Interstate, maybe work on your defensive driving skills. I'm much more nervous riding my bike around downtown than I am riding on the Interstate.

Raven457 posted:

Tassles crack me up, every time, without fail. Those, and that stupid whip that some riders have. http://www.chilhowee.net/whips.html

"Although many of our old-school biker whips are sent to motorcycle club members, you don't have to be affiliated with a club to ride with the distinctive, old-school look."

Impersonating a gang member of any type seems like a monumentally dumb idea to me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For some reason the whole Rob Halford getup with riveted black leather, chaps, tassles, whips etc. conjures up certain mental images...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8SEfFK_2Y

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frozenphil posted:

I've put ~13k miles, mostly highway, on mine in the nearly 2 years I've owned it and I've never felt vulnerable because of a lack of power. The 250 is perfectly capable of riding super slab at 70-80 all day long. You aren't going to out accelerate anyone at highway speeds in 6th gear, but thankfully, you're allowed to downshift.
If you feel vulnerable or stressed while riding on the Interstate, maybe work on your defensive driving skills. I'm much more nervous riding my bike around downtown than I am riding on the Interstate.

I'd tend to agree. I commuted on the freeway for a summer on an XL250, a bike that makes a Ninja 250 look like a Hayabusa. Its all in how you ride, and making sure you're making moves ahead of time, rather than when its too late.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm not particularly interested in a discussion, I'll just say that all the prep in the world doesn't help the poor suspension and lack of acceleration. Downshift? Hah, 5th gear would be tapped out. Maybe at slower speeds it is more comfortable, but traffic here regularly goes 75+ and since I topped out the ninja at 92 @ 12k after a bit of time WOT and tucked I'll stand by my statement.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
FYI: We've been discussing the irony of the helmet law protest in the Chatting thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=203#post393227681

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

I'm not particularly interested in a discussion, I'll just say that all the prep in the world doesn't help the poor suspension and lack of acceleration. Downshift? Hah, 5th gear would be tapped out. Maybe at slower speeds it is more comfortable, but traffic here regularly goes 75+ and since I topped out the ninja at 92 @ 12k after a bit of time WOT and tucked I'll stand by my statement.

Maybe try losing some weight?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've topped or come close to topping out both gens of 250...both easily exceeded an indicated 100mph. If yours is done at 92mph, something is up.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Could just be dirty carbs/fuel + valves out of spec + fat + altitude or any other factors. 92 isn't far from the actual top speed which is like 100-104.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I get weird looks all the time riding in jacket and full face in gaudy red and white when my buddy is wearing a black full face and a short sleeve shirt. My fellow cruiser riders don't want to believe that I would choose to wear gear over FREEDOM!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Last year at a charity ride, my cousin's buddy was insistent that his 1200 Sportster would be way faster than my (650) Versys. We never found out for sure (I'm a pretty responsible rider, and it was my second day owning the bike), but I'm pretty sure he would have been in for a surprise about how much of his power is routed to noise.

The second is less about dumb comments, but it's funny. At my MSF course, there was a woman named Bev who showed up decked out, head to toe, in Harley gear. She had never ridden a motorcycle before, and it showed. She was consistently the slowest one in every exercise, and constantly holding other people up. At one point, she came to a stop, and the bike started to go on her. In a last ditch attempt to save it, she grabbed the horn, which caused everyone to look in her direction and watch her slowly lay the bike down on the pavement. It was glorious. Somehow they gave that woman a license, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

She was out there having fun and learning to ride, I don't see what's so dumb about it. I nearly ditched my bike in the MSF and I was probably the slowest learner there, but I'm a perfectly fine and safe driver now.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Yeah, I'll take the walking harley ad who's at least willing to try over the people mentioned earlier who are only taking the class because the GUV'MINT is TOOCKING THAR FREEDOMS AWAY, who've been riding for years on $40,000 bikes but can't handle a U-turn and will argue with the instructor over how dangerous the front brake is.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

hayden. posted:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

hayden. posted:

She was out there having fun and learning to ride, I don't see what's so dumb about it. I nearly ditched my bike in the MSF and I was probably the slowest learner there, but I'm a perfectly fine and safe driver now.

Yea, I don't care that she screwed up in the course. It was the a) Harley gear having never ridden ANY bike, let alone a Harley, and b) the hilarious fashion in which she drew everyone's attention to her dropping the bike.

I'm more than happy to see a future Harley Queen taking a safety course.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I showed up in full gear, probably $1300 worth when I took the MSF (full Olympia, sidi boots, arai helmet, some fancy gloves). Granted I was like 16 and my dad made me wear it, though, and it was in no way an attempt to be trendy (100F+out that weekend).

I guess what I'm saying is that I was the nerdy, male equivalent.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 5, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That helmet protest article is showing up on my FB feed a hit, and a friend who also rides commented on it saying something along the lines of a helmet not making much of a difference at highway speeds since it's just plastic and styrofoam. I told him to ask racers who have had 100+ mph get-offs without any head injury what they think about that. I'll note that he does wear a full face, so he seems to have some faith in them.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

That helmet protest article is showing up on my FB feed a hit, and a friend who also rides commented on it saying something along the lines of a helmet not making much of a difference at highway speeds since it's just plastic and styrofoam. I told him to ask racers who have had 100+ mph get-offs without any head injury what they think about that. I'll note that he does wear a full face, so he seems to have some faith in them.

Even if helmets did nothing EXCEPT keep you from eating bugs and gravel, I'd still wear mine every single time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I've topped or come close to topping out both gens of 250...both easily exceeded an indicated 100mph. If yours is done at 92mph, something is up.

I was a little unfair or just remembered wrong from before, it showed 95 @ 11.5 today after a bit of time and was still pulling slowly.

I'm also probably 160 in gear but thanks for the weight advice.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

nsaP posted:

Obviously the answer is to lose that gear. Set course for freedom, indicated 100mph ahead!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

I was a little unfair or just remembered wrong from before, it showed 95 @ 11.5 today after a bit of time and was still pulling slowly.

I'm 200lbs and mine will do an indicated 110mph, but I've gone up a tooth in the front. You might have something wrong with your bike.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nsaP posted:

Hold on, what? My 70cc moped I built does 62 with a tuck and some room.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You have some strange concepts about riding safely if you think you need to be able to go 100mph.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

frozenphil posted:

You might have something wrong with your bike.

Yeah, he's missing about 250cc.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

You have some strange concepts about riding safely if you think you need to be able to go 100mph.

Hey thanks for missing the point and the post above. I don't need to go 100, but as I said before I merged into traffic at an indicated 85 so I do need to go that fast at least. My complaint was about the corolla-esqe acceleration, it's not about top speed but how quick I can jump from 65-90 depending on how traffic is feeling. Also, the small tires and suspension leave something to be desired. I don't know what you're highways are like but we have 70mph limits which means traffic cruises at 80 regularly (poo poo even in the 55 mph limit areas around downtown people fly at 70 average), and the roads are poo poo. Holes, cracks, moguls, millions of patches and bumps that sent me airborne when I accidentally hit them in between the tire tracks.

It can do the highway but it isn't ideal. That was my point and it seems some of us will have to just disagree. This right here is some stupid motorcycle related poo poo.

Raven457 posted:

Yeah, he's missing about 250cc.

That's about the gist.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 6, 2011

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

hayden. posted:

These are (or at least were) known as streamers, and they were standard equipment on bicycles for boys and girls for decades. They were more tasteful in that there were 4-6 strands and they didn't look like frickin' pom poms or grass skirts stuck to the end of your bars. Still, they fell out of favor in the 70s and if Schwinn DARED to ship your Lemon Peeler or Stingray with a set of these, it was the first thing to get winged.

Related: I've always been repulsed by those leather ponytail protectors, and I finally realized why. As a child, I once came close to stepping on a horseshoe crab in shallow water. Skullcap + ponytail thingy = dead ringer.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

nsaP posted:

Hey thanks for missing the point and the post above. I don't need to go 100, but as I said before I merged into traffic at an indicated 85 so I do need to go that fast at least. My complaint was about the corolla-esqe acceleration, it's not about top speed but how quick I can jump from 65-90 depending on how traffic is feeling. Also, the small tires and suspension leave something to be desired. I don't know what you're highways are like but we have 70mph limits which means traffic cruises at 80 regularly (poo poo even in the 55 mph limit areas around downtown people fly at 70 average), and the roads are poo poo. Holes, cracks, moguls, millions of patches and bumps that sent me airborne when I accidentally hit them in between the tire tracks.

It can do the highway but it isn't ideal. That was my point and it seems some of us will have to just disagree. This right here is some stupid motorcycle related poo poo.

That's about the gist.

So basically you want to spout a bunch of pretty inaccurate things and then bitch when people call you out on it? What does small tires have to do with riding on an interstate? Are you trying to drag knee? I still don't understand why it's so important to be able to rocket up to 90mph to be safe on a bike. You know you can safely ride a bike in the slow lane with the trucks. Hell there are people that have probably never gone 90 in their cars in their entire life. Either you have a bike that has serious mechanical issues, or you need to re-examine how you ride in traffic. Probably both.

n8r fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 6, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

n8r posted:

What does small tires have to do with riding on an interstate?

Less stability and more likely to get grabbed by cracks/potholes/etc

n8r posted:

I still don't understand why it's so important to be able to rocket up to 90mph to be safe on a bike. You know you can safely ride a bike in the slow lane with the trucks.

It's important because it means you can keep distance from traffic easier. Plus, given the hatred for motorcyclists by a lot of drivers merging, overtakes etc become easier/safer when rather than waiting to be let in/given way too, you can just wind it on for a second or two and make some space for yourself.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Less stability and more likely to get grabbed by cracks/potholes/etc

It's important because it means you can keep distance from traffic easier. Plus, given the hatred for motorcyclists by a lot of drivers merging, overtakes etc become easier/safer when rather than waiting to be let in/given way too, you can just wind it on for a second or two and make some space for yourself.

I would say stability is much more a function of geometry than it is of tire size. I guess maybe the cracks thing might happen, but I've never noticed it much on my bicycle tired RD.

I really think people should re-examine their ideas about being safe riders if they think the best way to merge or navigate traffic is to travel at significantly greater speeds than the flow of traffic. They also make these things called brakes you can use to maintain distance from traffic as well.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

These are (or at least were) known as streamers, and they were standard equipment on bicycles for boys and girls for decades. They were more tasteful in that there were 4-6 strands and they didn't look like frickin' pom poms or grass skirts stuck to the end of your bars. Still, they fell out of favor in the 70s and if Schwinn DARED to ship your Lemon Peeler or Stingray with a set of these, it was the first thing to get winged.

Related: I've always been repulsed by those leather ponytail protectors, and I finally realized why. As a child, I once came close to stepping on a horseshoe crab in shallow water. Skullcap + ponytail thingy = dead ringer.

Is that you, grandpa?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

"What color is your bike!?"

That sounded pretty stupid tonight as I sat on my rear end in my driveway with my hands interlocked behind my head. The cop followed me for a good mile as I rode home and waited until I'd opened my garage door to start yelling at me with her loud speaker.

"Uh, blue?", I said.

"We had a person on a black motorcycle evade an officer tonight not too long ago." She said, followed by, "Have a good night."

Can't wait to hear what the neighbors have to say.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

eggyolk posted:

"What color is your bike!?"

That sounded pretty stupid tonight as I sat on my rear end in my driveway with my hands interlocked behind my head. The cop followed me for a good mile as I rode home and waited until I'd opened my garage door to start yelling at me with her loud speaker.

"Uh, blue?", I said.

"We had a person on a black motorcycle evade an officer tonight not too long ago." She said, followed by, "Have a good night."

Can't wait to hear what the neighbors have to say.

I was riding through town on my bike a few years ago. I'd taken the mirrors off for a track day and hadn't put them back on. I was speeding, 42 in a 35, and didn't notice a cop behind me trying to pull me over. He had his lights on, but no siren. I cruised through town and hit the very last light. After that light, there's nothing but 20 miles of straight divided freeway. I was first in line, so as the light turned green, I launched the bike to the best of my ability. Front wheel up in the air, tach all the way up to the redline, shifting through the gears as fast as I could. I think I hit 120mph, by then I was catching up to the traffic that left last time the light was green. I slowed down, then I noticed people almost swerving out of my way. Anyone who's ridden a bike knows that's unusual. I glanced over my shoulder and noticed the cop for the first time. We're now 5 or 6 miles out of town, and he's still behind me.

Thankfully, he didn't arrest me and impound my bike. Turns out, my jackrabbit start was so unexpected, he didn't clock me on the highway, so I just got my ticket for 42 in a 35, but he was PISSED.

I plead not guilty to the ticket, and if it went to trial, my plan was to get pictures of 4 or 5 different sportbikes, from the rear, and ask the officer to pick out which bike was mine. The city agreed to drop the ticket in exchange for a small fee, which I accepted since all I wanted was to keep it off my insurance, but I've always wondered how well anyone who's not a bike nut could tell one black sportbike from another black sportbike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So you admit to doing a whole bunch of illegal unsafe things, and then telling the cops and the court you didn't do it, and planning schemes for evading any responsibility for it?

• Locked thread