Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Defiance Industries posted:

drat, then the mystery is on!

I think it's been said before that the clanners had been figting for a while with the comguards on-planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

what we need are some contests so we can "help"* the crabguard

*more likely horribly horribly maim the crabguard and any chance they have of winning.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

AtomikKrab posted:

*more likely horribly horribly maim the crabguard and any chance they have of winning.

I have a spare copy of Terraria from a 4-pack I bought a while ago.

I'll offer it to the first crab who gets a headshot that results in a wounded or dead clanner.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

If you win the contest you replace the Elementals of Hell's Horses with the 3090-era Svartalfa Superheavy Protomech.

TRO: Prototypes just came out and it has some amazing (read: hilarious) designs, like the aformentioned Superheavy proto.

It masses 14 tons, has a Streak SRM 6 with 10 shots and 2 Medium Chem Lasers (IS Medium lasers which use ammo but don't require heatsinks on vehicles/protos/conventional fighters) and 15 shots for those. It can take a heavy gauss rifle and keep fighting.

And... well:

No, there's no mistake, it's a Protomech LAM that flies 4/6.

On the previous topic of Donars, assuming 3/4 vehicle crews and them sticking at long range they're not that dangerous unless they get lucky or there's a whole bunch of them. Of course, Clans tend to deploy by Stars, so you'd probably end up with 10 VTOLs dropping on your rear end... do we have any air or armor support? ComGuard is a combined-arms force par excellence after all.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

If there's a no-heat medium laser, what's the point of the AC-5?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

raverrn posted:

Twice the range?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

raverrn posted:

The Chem Lasers are Clan weapons (specifically, Clan Hell's Horses because no other Clan gives a poo poo about their tanks). The IS doesn't get them. Their superiority to the AC-5 is kind of expected.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

MJ12 posted:

That is gundam as gently caress.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

cough cough, ahem, cough cough.

There're a lot of bad designs out there. Good news, though, update soon-ish and this time it looks like there will be fire exchanged.
I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong about the Howler. That thing is a great mech in all configurations, and there's not many machines in the IS or Clan armouries that can put out that much firepower at that speed and at long range.

Longinus00 posted:

There is a perfectly good use for that design, it just involves charging at max speed toward an enemies rear. :colbert:
That's why they call it the "Fireball".

KnoxZone posted:

It is a shame you guys have already broken Zel. It could have been an effective ace to keep in pocket until you had clean shots on one mech.
Only counts if you land the shot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mr. Despair posted:

That is gundam as gently caress.

A lot of the later designs went that way. Check out the Phoenix Hawk IIC.

And of course, all the original designs until CityTech were stolen borrowed from various anime, like Macross, Fang of the Sun Dougram, and Crusher Joe. There's a nice breakdown with links to pictures of the originals here.

So it's always been an anime influenced game, it just varies how much so. During the heyday, they did a decent job designing their own 'mechs. The original TR 3025 and 3050 designs weren't too bad, though there was always some stinkers in every generation.

The hyper-anime style of the IIC Unseen 'mechs in 3055 is really where it started to go downhill for me, and there have been fewer and fewer designs that I like the look of in every subsequent book. Maybe it's just the art style, but too many of the newer designs just look ugly, regardless of their battlefield efficacy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That Phoenix Hawk IIC is posing for a MercSpace photo. It's trying to look like a 65 ton heavy but it's not fooling anybody.

Also it's completely out of proportion and anime as gently caress. I think the Timber Wolf and Awesome are the epitome of what mechs should look like as opposed to gundams. No particular adherence to the humanoid form, no hands, no retarded samurai helmet.

I still think mechs having hands at all is a bit stupid. Think of how expensive that kind of joint configuration must be! And don't tell me about close combat, a hand is like the worst close combat weapon possible. What are they picking up anyway that's designed for a totally non-standardized array of hands of various designs and wildly different sizes?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

I still think mechs having hands at all is a bit stupid. Think of how expensive that kind of joint configuration must be! And don't tell me about close combat, a hand is like the worst close combat weapon possible. What are they picking up anyway that's designed for a totally non-standardized array of hands of various designs and wildly different sizes?

Don't forget that some of these hands are nestled amidst a mess of weaponry mounted on the arm. Won't all those gun barrels get damaged and dented when you start a mech barroom brawl? (I understand there's some damage rules for arms without manipulators, but does having hands magically protect the rest of the poo poo on the arm from being damaged?)

MW2 was one of those games I grew up with. Never played it very well, but loved reading the manual to bits. Always thought the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat was the most amazing mech ever. With age however, I found the rest of the Battletech designs, a lot of them are seriously :gonk:. The series can't seem to pin a design aesthetic down, sometimes it feels like it wants to be Gundam (where your robots essentially behave like giant humans) and sometimes it wants to be more "realistic" and go on with the proper walking tank look. Not to mention that the vast majority of the designs are just horrible to look at.

If only every 'mech was designed like a Mad Cat, Catapult or Vulture...

(N.B everything I said is merely about how the drat things look, I give no fucks about game value).

Also scored a couple of these guys on eBay:

Being a fan of the thread (random rant about ugly mechs notwithstanding), I want to paint one in honour of the Crabguard, any suggestions for colour schemes?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Arglebargle III posted:

The theory is that hands make Mechs useful for non-shooty things, such as construction, logistics, and disaster relief. This was especially important during the Third Succession War, where there was a whole lot of sitting around on a specific world, and one would inevitably put down roots, e'en through the generations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

What are they picking up anyway that's designed for a totally non-standardized array of hands of various designs and wildly different sizes?

Tanks, people and other things that go squish when you squeeze.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Z the IVth posted:

Being a fan of the thread (random rant about ugly mechs notwithstanding), I want to paint one in honour of the Crabguard, any suggestions for colour schemes?

Zoidberg Red.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Trast posted:

Zoidberg Red.

It's a Crab, of the CrabGuard. CrabGuard is white with stripes. So white with Zoidberg Red stripes?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

MJ12 posted:

It's a Crab, of the CrabGuard. CrabGuard is white with stripes. So white with Zoidberg Red stripes?

He could go the Maryland route, put some glue on it, and sprinkle on some Old Bay.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

The hyper-anime style of the IIC Unseen 'mechs in 3055 is really where it started to go downhill for me
They licenced the IIC mech artwork out from Studio Neu again directly, specifically asking them to do Battletech-only updates of the old models. It is literally drawn by anime artists.

Arglebargle III posted:

What are they picking up anyway that's designed for a totally non-standardized array of hands of various designs and wildly different sizes?
Random poo poo. Mechs have hands partially because the original fluff often had the mission objective be "go to this planet and grab all their kegs of water".

Z the IVth posted:

Also scored a couple of these guys on eBay:

The only acceptable answer is Comstar parade-ground white.

With sunglasses painted on :dealwithit:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Z the IVth posted:

Paint it Zoidberg red with a dozen small lasers on it's chin. Sure, that defies Battletech logic and critical slot placement, but the CrabGuard doesn't need logic. :zoid:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Merry Marauder posted:

The theory is that hands make Mechs useful for non-shooty things, such as construction, logistics, and disaster relief. This was especially important during the Third Succession War, where there was a whole lot of sitting around on a specific world, and one would inevitably put down roots, e'en through the generations.

Also keep in mind that before there were Battlemechs there were Industrial Mechs so it's possible some of them had hands as well for things like handling girders.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Random poo poo. Mechs have hands partially because the original fluff often had the mission objective be "go to this planet and grab all their kegs of water".

Hand Actuators, a fine investment.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

They can also help you get up.:eng101:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also whomping someone with the casing of a gun barrel is nowhere near as satisfying as pressing the "make fist" button on the dashboard first.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That is the worst Jacob's Ladder ever. It's like he wasn't even trying. :colbert:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

W.T. Fits posted:

That is the worst Jacob's Ladder ever. It's like he wasn't even trying. :colbert:

I'm more worried by the fact that that 'mech appears to have wood than that its arms have been used to string up clotheslines and dry laundry.

[edit] The fact that it appears to have an ERLL with a bright yellow glans penis as an emitter "head" is especially :gonk:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'm more worried by the fact that that 'mech appears to have wood than that its arms have been used to string up clotheslines and dry laundry.

[edit] The fact that it appears to have an ERLL with a bright yellow glans penis as an emitter "head" is especially :gonk:

It's a Gundam, and a stupidly designed one at that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And that is some lazy goddamned laundry-art there. What are they washing, 24 sets of identical white tablecloths?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Believe it or not... that's actually the cockpit. :v:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Leperflesh posted:

And that is some lazy goddamned laundry-art there. What are they washing, 24 sets of identical white tablecloths?

That's... Not actually impossible. Just highly unlikely.

W.T. Fits posted:

Believe it or not... that's actually the cockpit. :v:

Please. I'm a fan of Zone of the Enders. Orbital Frames really put the cock in cockpit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Leperflesh posted:

bedsheets, its some form of inn or something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

elitebuster posted:

It's a Gundam, and a stupidly designed one at that.

Don't diss the 'stache, man. :colbert:

But seriously I do like Turn A Gundam's mobile suit art direction the most out of the entire franchise. I think it looks distinctive and bucks the trend against the rest of the Gundams which, a few outliers aside, start to blend together into a samey mass after a while. Though this case of unpopular and idiosyncratic personal taste is also why I try not to judge the derpier 'Mech designs.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

AtomikKrab posted:

bedsheets, its some form of inn or something

Even if it's a derail of sorts, it's bed sheets from a field hospital in specific. They were all covered in blood and the such and the pilot ended up using the hands as agitators for a big stonkin' washing machine (re: gouged out the side of a river) and then hung them up to dry. Turn-A Gundam has the machine put into a lot of odd uses that take advantage of its particularly fine-tuned hand manipulators.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Please. I'm a fan of Zone of the Enders. Orbital Frames really put the cock in cockpit.

But do theirs eject in an emergency?

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Well, the AI in one of them begins the process to eject it in the first game before the protagonist tells it not to. So, while we don't see it do so, yes. Orbital Frames can eject their cockpit if the need arises. Of course, you mostly fight unmanned frames and if you lose yours it is a game over so this concept really doesn't come into play at all.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, I was out of town last week and happened by a wonderfully overstuffed used bookstore in Kalispell, Montana, little knowing the horrors that awaited time. I feel the circa-2004 cell phone quality only adds to the unearthliness of the sight.

While I considered purchasing the novel to cleanse it from the world, I decided that it was not within my power to trifle with such a terrible artifact. I hope that being abandoned under a pile of Honor Harrington novels to be forgotten for all eternity will be enough to keep Far Country hidden from an unsuspecting world.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I kind of want to get you to go back and buy it for me.....

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I rather enjoyed how the cockpit swings into an upright position when the robot goes into flight mode.....

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Octatonic posted:

Kalispell, Montana

Ah, Kalispell... so close to my home town, yet trapped perpetually in the year 1988.

Fakeedit: Update soon, just got the orders from the last player.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
I kind of want to get you to go back and buy it for me.....
I rather enjoyed how the cockpit swings into an upright position when the robot goes into flight mode.....

And how it only opens up if you put your hands on it. Wait...how do people get into mechs and wanzers anyway? I never really figured it out.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Battletech mechs tend to have pop-open cockpits on a lot of them similar to the canopies of modern fighter jets. The larger ones sometimes end up with a hatch like a tank would have instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, the Lynx and Starslayer seem intent on having a midair collision.

• Locked thread