Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I don't want to talk about what caused all this poo poo to be all over everything

Too bad buddy, tell us what the gently caress happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

spog posted:

You cant expect to post this without sharing the story.

But seriously, what kind of poop is it (human, dog, cow?) and how did it end up there (flood, backed up toilet, pet minature pig with the runs, angry girlfriend hurling it around?)

If it is wet poop, like a flooded sewer, I would burn everything.

mostly solid poop, like a turd flung by a video game character from a long overdue franchise is probably going to come off with a wet wipe and some bleach.

A family member is terminally ill and very confused and is probably dying right now in a hospital. So it's not a funny story at all and it's something I would really rather not talk about. I might make an E/N thread later when I figure out how I'm feeling, but right now I need to clean up all this poo poo.

So, human poo poo, fairly dryish, dropped on the carpet and trodden in and smeared around a bit on various items. There is more of it than you would have thought possible from one person, although there was only a 30 minute window where it could have occurred.

Bleach will work for the tables/shelves, but I can't see it working on carpet and I don't want to pour it on my TV.

Edit: I didn't want to make a new thread about this right now because I'm specifically interested in getting things cleaned up not discussing my feelings. I will discuss those either with a therapist if necessary or an E/N thread if that doesn't work.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 5, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Sounds like the situation sucks, sorry.

The good news is that it sounds like most of that will clean up okay. Lots of soap and water to get it off, plus disinfectant to kill the germs and the smell. Use lots of kitchen paper towels.

(bleach will damage a lot of stuff, disinfectant will not).

The hardest part will be not retching while you do it. Gloves and a mask are vital.

You can google for clearing up baby or child poop. There will be lots of hits.

Consider hiring a carpet cleaning machine for the carpet

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
One of my friends gave me this mysterious 13 character key. The first and last two characters are letters and the rest are numbers. I'm supposed to "figure out what it is and how to use it." It's time sentisitive and I'm running out of time so I want to ask if anybody here has any idea what a key like that could be used for, as I'm completely lost. Google didn't get me anywhere.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Captain Jesus posted:

One of my friends gave me this mysterious 13 character key. The first and last two characters are letters and the rest are numbers. I'm supposed to "figure out what it is and how to use it." It's time sentisitive and I'm running out of time so I want to ask if anybody here has any idea what a key like that could be used for, as I'm completely lost. Google didn't get me anywhere.

13-digit WEP key?
It could be absolutely anything, you'd need to post it.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

AlphaDog posted:

I need to know the best way to clean literal poo poo off things. I don't want to talk about what caused all this poo poo to be all over everything, although it might be a subject for an E/N thread later on. Maybe.

It's on carpet, books, DVDs, wood tables/shelves, cardboard boxes, the fuzzy sides of a guitar amp, and an LCD TV. I want to get all traces of the poo poo off all these things and remove the smell. The carpet's hosed anyway so I don't really care if it stains, I just want the poo poo and the smell of poo poo to be gone.

I'm assuming the books and maybe the DVDs are a total loss and I'm quite prepared to throw them away.

I'm in Australia, so if you're recommending cleaning products, locally available ones would be a help. I can't realistically use anything that will be toxic to a small dog, although the dog can (sort of) be kept out of the room for a few days if necessary.

The only way to entirely remove the poop is to use an ezymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Enzyme cleaners are sold at pet shops but you can find them at some department stores. You can use it on any solid surface and some porous surfaces (carpet, fuzzy side of guitar amp, maybe not books).

And it's 100% safe for your pup to be around.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know anything about all those old(current?) internet personality quizzes that teenagers take? Do marketing research companies use that information?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

vanessa posted:

The only way to entirely remove the poop is to use an ezymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Enzyme cleaners are sold at pet shops but you can find them at some department stores. You can use it on any solid surface and some porous surfaces (carpet, fuzzy side of guitar amp, maybe not books).

And it's 100% safe for your pup to be around.

I'll check my favorite pet store tomorrow. I'm going to toss the books unless it's like a tiny wipable splatter on a shiny cover. I guess the pages are stained irreparably and I'm not keeping them around. I'll be ordering some new books (sigh).

Thanks for the advice guys.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My apartment complex put a notice in every unit's door notifying they'd be inspecting every unit over the course of the next couple days, no exceptions, date/times are non-negotiable (they're just going in order starting at unit #1). If it were to test smoke detectors and whatnot I'd figure they'd mention that, but nowhere does it give any hint of what the inspection is for. I've got nothing to hide but I'm curious what they could be looking for. Drugs? Pets people didn't pay the deposit for? Possible candidates for that Hoarders show?

VVV Aww, that's no fun. Better strategically place a chair in front of the miniblinds that my dog mauled.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 5, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

drat Bananas posted:

My apartment complex put a notice in every unit's door notifying they'd be inspecting every unit over the course of the next couple days, no exceptions, date/times are non-negotiable (they're just going in order starting at unit #1). If it were to test smoke detectors and whatnot I'd figure they'd mention that, but nowhere does it give any hint of what the inspection is for. I've got nothing to hide but I'm curious what they could be looking for. Drugs? Pets people didn't pay the deposit for? Possible candidates for that Hoarders show?
If you're a US goon it sounds like a standard yearly inspection. They'll check your fire alarm, extinguisher, look for obvious damage to the apartment, check for lease violations, ask if there's anything wrong that hasn't been reported (leaks, etc). It usually takes my people ten minutes or so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tostito posted:

Does anyone know anything about all those old(current?) internet personality quizzes that teenagers take? Do marketing research companies use that information?

They usually ask for an email address at the end of the quiz. Specific market profile + email = value. As an affiliate of those quizzes, I usually earn between $.50 and $1.50 for each successful quiz depending on the questions.

They're not all bad though, some are created by websites just for fun.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Gardening question:

I've had a key lime tree for 4 years from when it was approximately 12" tall, but each year its flowers blossom, then small fruits form, then grow until the size of eraser heads, then fall off. The tree has ample leaves and has grown to approximately 40" in height and (other than the fruiting issue) appears healthy.

The tree is in a 20-gallon plastic pot, drip holes in the bottom to drain excess water, and it's planted in a 50/50 native soil and cactus mix. Coastal SE Virginia, so I keep it indoors from Christmas to St. Paddy's Day, then set it out on the patio all summer for all-you-can-eat sunshine and rain. Haven't fertilized it since the initial potting, that's the only thing I can think of that might be affecting the fruit. Haven't noticed any insects other than wasps, they seem to like the sap on the leaves, but they don't appear to affect the plant at all.

The fruits appear a deep green while growing, then the stems gets a light yellow and it drops from the tree. I water the pot thoroughly if it becomes dry (usually a day or two after the last storm comes along). It's blossomed indoors and outdoors with the same result, I'm just not positive what I'm doing wrong.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Peachstapler posted:

Key limes

Keep in mind that key limes are generally much smaller and a little paler than standard limes anyway.

Are there insects visiting your plant? Did you pollinate it when it was growing inside? Your success will skyrocket if you get another plant and put them a few feet apart anyway as many plant species tend to reject self-pollinated fruits in some way or another. Are there any more of these plants in your neighborhood? Is the location/climate right (citrus plants are sub-tropical)?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 5, 2011

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Mak0rz posted:

Keep in mind that key limes are generally much smaller and a little paler than standard limes anyway.

Are there insects visiting your plant? Did you pollinate it when it was growing inside? Your success will skyrocket if you get another plant and put them a few feet apart anyway as many plant species tend to reject self-pollinated fruits in some way or another. Are there any more of these plants in your neighborhood? Is the location/climate right (citrus plants are sub-tropical)?
No disrespect intended, but I know what a key lime looks like and it's not the size of an eraser head.

To answer your questions, there's definitely enough wasp action surrounding the plant to pollinate flower-to-flower. Based on what I know about plants, there wouldn't be a fruit forming if the flower wasn't pollinated in the first place, but I could be wrong. As far as I know, there's no key lime trees anywhere near here, so if there was actually a male/female plant relationship pivotal to fruit growth, it's not happening. Climate should not be an issue, we're 75+ degrees from April to November with humidity through the roof. I do take care to keep it away from the frost and it bears fruit multiple times per season (even during winter while it's indoors).

Apples and Oranges
Jun 28, 2009

2508084 posted:

If you're a US goon it sounds like a standard yearly inspection. They'll check your fire alarm, extinguisher, look for obvious damage to the apartment, check for lease violations, ask if there's anything wrong that hasn't been reported (leaks, etc). It usually takes my people ten minutes or so.

Could also be in connection with the owner refinancing a mortgage or selling the place or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Peachstapler posted:

As far as I know, there's no key lime trees anywhere near here, so if there was actually a male/female plant relationship pivotal to fruit growth, it's not happening. Climate should not be an issue, we're 75+ degrees from April to November with humidity through the roof. I do take care to keep it away from the frost and it bears fruit multiple times per season (even during winter while it's indoors).

You're right in that a plant generally doesn't produce fruit if the respective flower isn't pollinated. I don't know much about sub-tropical wasps, but temperate wasps (or at least those in North America) are very, very poor pollinators. Make sure there are butterflies, flies, or (especially) bees visiting your tree. If not, pollinate it yourself by tickling the flowers with your finger.

Having another plant has nothing to do with a male-female relationship (lime flowers are hermaphroditic). It has everything to do with a plant evolving to favor fruit produced from a flower receiving pollen from another plant. Plants tend to fall back to self-fertilization only as a ditch effort to propagate their genes for a second chance if they haven't been cross pollinated.

Peachstapler posted:

As far as I know, there's no key lime trees anywhere near here

If you're doing a good job taking care of it, then the above quote is 90% likely the reason why you're getting lovely limes. Get another tree and place it somewhere not far from your current one.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 5, 2011

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Mak0rz posted:

You're right in that a plant generally doesn't produce fruit if the respective flower isn't pollinated. I don't know much about sub-tropical wasps, but temperate wasps (or at least those in North America) are very, very poor pollinators. Make sure there are butterflies, flies, or (especially) bees visiting your tree. If not, pollinate it yourself by tickling the flowers with your finger.

Having another plant has nothing to do with a male-female relationship (lime flowers are hermaphroditic). It has everything to do with a plant evolving to favor fruit produced from a flower receiving pollen from another plant. Plants tend to fall back to self-fertilization only as a ditch effort to propagate their genes for a second chance if they haven't been cross pollinated.

If you're doing a good job taking care of it, then the above quote is 90% likely the reason why you're getting lovely limes. Get another tree and place it somewhere not far from your current one.
I took a q-tip to the flowers a few times over the years to see if that helped, but it didn't change anything. I'll probably attempt to fertilize it and add a layer of fresh soil to the top of the pot, and failing those two (simple) steps yielding results, go buy another plant. Thanks for the information!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
There is a gardening thread in DIY that is pretty good on this stuff. You may want to try there too.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Eggplant Wizard posted:

There is a gardening thread in DIY that is pretty good on this stuff. You may want to try there too.
Thanks a lot for the tip, I will take a look.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Besides Cracker Barrel, is there any place to buy old-fashioned stick candy, specifically in bulk?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jive One posted:

Besides Cracker Barrel, is there any place to buy old-fashioned stick candy, specifically in bulk?

Is online OK? Because there are hundreds of online retailers for that stuff in bulk.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Also, be aware that the PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player, and it's really easy to update its firmware (in fact, it often makes you). I found out how nice that was when I had to update my parents' player to watch Inception. It took about an hour, all-told.

:wtc: seriously? Are consumers now so browbeaten with DRM that spending an hour updating firmware (forcibly) just to watch a movie makes a good blu-ray player? I'd be hopping mad if a movie I paid for made me wait an hour while it patched my player, which I also paid for, while the pirates skip all that poo poo and the FBI warnings/adverts too.

I don't own a blu-ray player; I doubt I ever will now. Ridiculous.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

on facebook how can I hide my friends and or when I post to other peoples walls?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Cowboy Mark posted:

:wtc: seriously? Are consumers now so browbeaten with DRM that spending an hour updating firmware (forcibly) just to watch a movie makes a good blu-ray player? I'd be hopping mad if a movie I paid for made me wait an hour while it patched my player, which I also paid for, while the pirates skip all that poo poo and the FBI warnings/adverts too.

I think the idea was "The PS3 is a good Blu-Ray player, UNLIKE my parents' player which made me take an hour to install a patch just so I could watch a movie."

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
Is there anywhere on the internet where I can listen to and/or download the music from David Attenborough's Life in the Undergrowth? I love the music in this and all the other documentaries along those lines, but as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be an official soundtrack anywhere. I would gladly buy the music on Amazon or iTunes or whatever, if it existed.

It's frustrating because the second DVD in the series has the music right there for you to listen to... but that's not a convenient format whatsoever.

Barring that, would it be :filez: to ask for a way to rip the music off the DVD? Like I said, there seems to be literally no option to buy it...

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
It's not files to ask how to rip your own DVD, no.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

wigtrade.cc posted:

on facebook how can I hide my friends and or when I post to other peoples walls?

Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what you're asking here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eyeball posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what you're asking here.
I think I know what he's trying to say, and the question is, hide them from who? Facebook is designed around showing certain actions of yours to certain people (friends only, friends of friends, and everyone).

edit: I guess you can't set anything to "no one" though. If you did, what would be the point of being on a social networking site?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

wigtrade.cc posted:

You want to hide your friends list and wall posts from other facebook members?

It's all in the privacy settings.

Account > Privacy Settings
Custom > Customize Settings

You can set 'Posts By Me' to Customize > Only Me

gently caress if I know where closing up your Friends list went since they changed it around, but it has always been there somewhere.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

One of a Kind posted:

Barring that, would it be :filez: to ask for a way to rip the music off the DVD? Like I said, there seems to be literally no option to buy it...

http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVD-Audio-to-MP3-Using-VLC-Media-Player

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Pweller posted:

gently caress if I know where closing up your Friends list went since they changed it around, but it has always been there somewhere.

For some reason, it's only available in privacy settings on the mobile website.

Edit: never mind it's on the connecting on facebook tab in privacy settings. My eyes always glance past that part of the main website.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 6, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Besesoth posted:

I think the idea was "The PS3 is a good Blu-Ray player, UNLIKE my parents' player which made me take an hour to install a patch just so I could watch a movie."

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

This is wonderful, and I managed to get a clip from the menu screen... but for some reason, I can't find the audio files that play the music. There's a folder within the DVD for audio, but it's empty. As far as I can tell, the music is... embedded within the menus? It's super frustrating.

Is there a way to record a video track you're currently watching? Like the old method of recording radio music with a cassette? Because I think that's the only option that'll work with this stupid disc.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Cowboy Mark posted:

Its not only DRM that forces you to upgrade. Some features on the disc may require functionality that wasn't written into the firmware when the player was released. Upgrading firmware can also increase the speed performance of your player.

Anecdotes:

A) Cloudy with a chance of meatballs simply wouldn't work in my player. I upgraded the firmware and it worked fine. I doubt this was a DRM issue as there was no anti-piracy messages, the disc just wouldn't get past the Sony Movies logo.

B) All the Pixar discs I had would play the film perfectly but the menus were unworkable because they were slow at responding to the remote input AND at animating their movement. It'd take 10 seconds to move from Play Movie to whatever menu item was below it. The upgraded firmware fixed this issue.

Looking at the release notes for the upgrade, it looks like they target a whole load of individual bugs caused by different films. Blu-Rays dont just work like DVDs any more, probably because they have Java front ends and the developers of those aren't working completely to a standard.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Okay here's a stupid question:

At 3:24, a song starts to play in this video. I know I've heard it before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's from or what it's called and it's driving me nuts. Any ideas of what that song is/what it's called? Thanks.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

One of a Kind posted:

This is wonderful, and I managed to get a clip from the menu screen... but for some reason, I can't find the audio files that play the music. There's a folder within the DVD for audio, but it's empty. As far as I can tell, the music is... embedded within the menus? It's super frustrating.

Is there a way to record a video track you're currently watching? Like the old method of recording radio music with a cassette? Because I think that's the only option that'll work with this stupid disc.

It'll be located in a VOB file:

In this example, the smaller VOB files are menus, while the larger ones are the feature film(s) broken up in 1 GB files, usually. Just keep opening up various VOBs and scrolling through. You'll find it eventually.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Tell me what to buy an Old Chinese-American man.

I will tell you what I know:

My grandfather-in-Law is an old mother fucker. He not only lived as a teenager through the Great Depression, but he also served as a bombardier in the Pacific. Much of his time was spent overseas, away from his family of five who've now grown into cops, professors, actors and politicians. After the war, he took residence in a major US city, selling textiles alongside his wife now for over sixty years. As facts go, he loves chocolate and ice cream, and rich foods; red wines and comedy and entertainment. He's a nice old man, and I stress man--when I first met him, he almost always mentioned politics, relationships, culture and mankind, while still acting as a monkey of horseplay. Sadly now, his body and senses have faded, and presently his memory as well--the man can't hear for poo poo, and due to his diabetes they've even taken sweets away from him, so today he hangs out around the house watching what he eats, something which I assume amounts to the combined despairs of Ozzy Osbourne and Hulk Hogan.

I wanted to buy him a present for his birthday but I don't know what to get and there seems to be nothing badass enough. I don't want to go emotional, and I can't get him some model airplane... a little statue might be cool but I feel only a Rodin could possibly do :/

I'm unable to investigate formally, that is to say, I don't wish to ask any family members for clues. I could slip it into conversation so as not to clue them into my intentions, i.e., "So does YOUR DAD have any hobbies???"--but that won't do, so I need to synthesize something.

I can't afford a Ming vase but I'm willing to spend a bill or two. No Kindles, or anything technological for that matter, so nothing like 'all his Jazz favorites' on an iPod. Throw me some suggestions because right now I'm thinking about buying him:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OoBi-Hand-Wig-1st-and-only-HAIR-4-your-eye-Puppet-/260792015522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb86a5aa2

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I just fired up an old (like four years old, give or take) printer that had been sitting in my closet for about a year. It seems like it's doing everything it's supposed to, but the pages come out blank. Do I need to buy new ink cartridges, or is there something I can do to like, stir it up or something?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Eyeball posted:

I just fired up an old (like four years old, give or take) printer that had been sitting in my closet for about a year. It seems like it's doing everything it's supposed to, but the pages come out blank. Do I need to buy new ink cartridges, or is there something I can do to like, stir it up or something?

You can try shaking the everloving poo poo out of the cartridge and maybe warming it up (not too warm, like hot shower warm), but you most likely will have to buy new ink, yes.

Given the price of ink and the fact that new printers usually come with free ink, you might be better off buying a new printer unless the one you have is really nice.

Edit: Don't actually take it in the shower. If you end up shaking the gently caress out of the cartridge do it outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Okay here's a stupid question:

At 3:24, a song starts to play in this video. I know I've heard it before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's from or what it's called and it's driving me nuts. Any ideas of what that song is/what it's called? Thanks.

It's the closing theme for the TV show "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles".