Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
There was a book I read probably around 1996/97 (when I was 11-12, so it was geared towards that age group) that was kind of a horror/fantasy story if I had to describe the genre. It was about a kid who began to have clairvoyant dreams regarding the future deaths of family members. The first dream he had was about his grandmother or elderly aunt (I think) which is shrugged off once he tells his parents because she was old and frail. The second one was about his uncle dying on the operating table. It's once again shrugged off but then his uncle dies of mysterious complications during surgery. The third dream he has, I believe, is about a cousin though I'm really not sure.

I never finished the book, which is why I'm curious as to what is the title so I know how it ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
This one is apparently really tough, as I've posted it in similar threads here and in many other forums and still haven't found it.

It's an encyclopedia-type guide to world mythology and folklore. Things I remember about it for certain or semi-certain:

-Organised alphabetically, with small entries for each mythological character. I think it had two columns on each page
-Although it had a lot of Greek and Roman stuff, it also covered other mythologies, like Celtic and Native American
-I read it in the late 80s, so it's definitely older than that. Probably 50s-60s?
-Small color painted illustrations in a simple straightforward style, like the illustrations in the Golden Guide series books
-It covered A to Z in one volume, and I don't think it was part of a series

Any guesses? I've been hunting for this for 15 years now!

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
The Encyclopedia of Things that Never Were?

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Things-That-Never-Were/dp/0140100083

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
Nope, good try but definitely too new. The title must be something like that though, as I've searched "Encyclopedia of Mythology" dozens of times but never found it.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Whoops try the hardcover, first American edition was 1987. There's a few examples of the artwork there too.

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 25, 2011

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
Well, it has the alphabethical and the multiple columns but the pictures are much too fancy. These are really basic, like a Golden Guide:
http://www.papersponge.com/storage/BirdsBook2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1280163216531
Sort of that style.

Thanks for the help though. Even though it's not The Book, it still looks like something I'd enjoy and I plan on checking it out.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
There's a book or series that I want to say is by Margaret Weis and/or Tracy Hickman but I could be wrong. Fantasy set in a world made of a bunch of floating islands. There's a sort of maybe-rogue/assassin-type character who may have the nickname of 'the Hand.' My library used to have the first book but I cant remember what its called and all the weis/hickman theyve got now is Dragonlance poo poo which it definitely isnt.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Starblind posted:

This one is apparently really tough, as I've posted it in similar threads here and in many other forums and still haven't found it.

It's an encyclopedia-type guide to world mythology and folklore. Things I remember about it for certain or semi-certain:

-Organised alphabetically, with small entries for each mythological character. I think it had two columns on each page
-Although it had a lot of Greek and Roman stuff, it also covered other mythologies, like Celtic and Native American
-I read it in the late 80s, so it's definitely older than that. Probably 50s-60s?
-Small color painted illustrations in a simple straightforward style, like the illustrations in the Golden Guide series books
-It covered A to Z in one volume, and I don't think it was part of a series

Any guesses? I've been hunting for this for 15 years now!

The Encyclopedia of Things that never were? It's old enough, has all of the different cultures, even though it was around in the 80's definitely not that old. It's fun to look at anyway.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Zeth posted:

There's a book or series that I want to say is by Margaret Weis and/or Tracy Hickman but I could be wrong. Fantasy set in a world made of a bunch of floating islands. There's a sort of maybe-rogue/assassin-type character who may have the nickname of 'the Hand.' My library used to have the first book but I cant remember what its called and all the weis/hickman theyve got now is Dragonlance poo poo which it definitely isnt.

This might be the Death Gate Cycle. It was a 7 part series by Weis and Hickman. Each of the 4 first books took place in one of these elemental planes, of which the first was Air and was a place made up of floating islands. I don't remember much of the plot beyond that, but it may have involved an assassin. The first book was apparently called Dragon Wing, if that rings any bells.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ianvincible posted:

This might be the Death Gate Cycle. It was a 7 part series by Weis and Hickman. Each of the 4 first books took place in one of these elemental planes, of which the first was Air and was a place made up of floating islands. I don't remember much of the plot beyond that, but it may have involved an assassin. The first book was apparently called Dragon Wing, if that rings any bells.

This is it. He's thinking of Hugh the Hand, an assassin from the first book. Assassins are named for body parts on that world, and "The Hand" is like, the second highest rank or some poo poo.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Yeeeeeessssss, that's it, thanks. I remember reading that first one and then being really annoyed that they didn't have the next book.

Also, a repost:

Friend of mine is looking for a young adult/kids fantasy type book, probably written in or before the 90s. The basic premise is that a girl goes on vacation with her family and somehow winds up in mystical undersea ruins where someone named Merlin lives, who has been there for a thousand years trying to get his immortality McGuffin back. He teaches her magic to try to get it back for him, but apparently she accidentally destroys it (which he is somehow okay with?) and becomes immortal herself by absorbing its power or something. Said mcguffin was some sort of liquid flowing from a magic shell thing that was described as tasting like colors. Also the mcguffin may have been sort of metaphor for addiction.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zeth posted:

Friend of mine is looking for a young adult/kids fantasy type book, probably written in or before the 90s. The basic premise is that a girl goes on vacation with her family and somehow winds up in mystical undersea ruins where someone named Merlin lives, who has been there for a thousand years trying to get his immortality McGuffin back. He teaches her magic to try to get it back for him, but apparently she accidentally destroys it (which he is somehow okay with?) and becomes immortal herself by absorbing its power or something. Said mcguffin was some sort of liquid flowing from a magic shell thing that was described as tasting like colors. Also the mcguffin may have been sort of metaphor for addiction.
Jan Siegel's Prospero's Children?

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Trying to remember a novel set in Colorado following an influenza pandemic that killed of a great majority of the world's population. The main character's sister is mute from having survived infection. Hopi mythology is involved, and in the end, the characters climb into a stone mound with a hole in it and probably drown to death.

I can't remember the name of it, but I think of the book every time I listen to Dark Side of the Moon, since I had the album on loop in my CD player the entire time I was reading. I'd just discovered Pink Floyd so this must have been around 2000-2003.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

bottles and cans posted:

Trying to remember a novel set in Colorado following an influenza pandemic that killed of a great majority of the world's population. The main character's sister is mute from having survived infection. Hopi mythology is involved, and in the end, the characters climb into a stone mound with a hole in it and probably drown to death.

I can't remember the name of it, but I think of the book every time I listen to Dark Side of the Moon, since I had the album on loop in my CD player the entire time I was reading. I'd just discovered Pink Floyd so this must have been around 2000-2003.

Stephen Kings The Stand?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SeanBeansShako posted:

Stephen Kings The Stand?

How does that match the description apart from the flu part and the Colorado part?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hedrigall posted:

How does that match the description apart from the flu part and the Colorado part?

I haven't read the book in a decade, give me a break.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Hedrigall posted:

That one dude is deaf, so there is that.

bottles and cans posted:

Is it Hole in the Sky?

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

I think this was an e-book I read years ago. Googling is getting me lots of medical info on viruses and pregnancy. It might have been a series of books, but I'm not sure. There was a woman who I think was a scientist as a main character. All these women started getting pregnant, and then inexplicably having miscarriages a few months in, all with baby girls. They may have shown other symptoms too, but I can't remember for sure. Then just a few women got pregnant again shortly after that, but it turned out to only be women who had never had any form of the herpes virus, including chickenpox or anything like that. The scientist lay was one of them. When the baby from the second pregnancy was born she had a pattern of freckles on her that were slightly luminous and she was extremely smart and spoke minutes after birth. Any ideas?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Lealoo posted:

I think this was an e-book I read years ago. Googling is getting me lots of medical info on viruses and pregnancy. It might have been a series of books, but I'm not sure. There was a woman who I think was a scientist as a main character. All these women started getting pregnant, and then inexplicably having miscarriages a few months in, all with baby girls. They may have shown other symptoms too, but I can't remember for sure. Then just a few women got pregnant again shortly after that, but it turned out to only be women who had never had any form of the herpes virus, including chickenpox or anything like that. The scientist lay was one of them. When the baby from the second pregnancy was born she had a pattern of freckles on her that were slightly luminous and she was extremely smart and spoke minutes after birth. Any ideas?

Sounds like Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear.

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

thedaian posted:

Sounds like Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear.

That's it! Thank you. I'm not sure if I actually want to read it again or not... it was one of those books that I really WANTED to like but just left me feeling a little blah.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

utada posted:

That one dude is deaf, so there is that.

Is it Hole in the Sky?

That's it, thanks!

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I was talking to a friend about "Let's Go to Golgotha," and it jogged my memory about an older short story I read. I'm 99% sure it was in a SF anthology.

It was about a prim, religious man who dies and shows up in the afterlife expecting the traditional heaven, but finds that eternal life turns out to closely mirror the life he had just led on Earth - he still has the same austere apartment and self-indulgent coworkers. He finds his way to administration and lodges a complaint, and they basically say "Well, if this isn't your ideal, why the hell did you live your life on Earth this way?"

Any ideas on the title of the story?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I remember reading years ago about a book that talks about the making of Fight Club (I think it was about several different movies or studios). The books talks about the studio's reaction (shock) during the first screening of the movie. Any ideas? After some google time I think it might be Rebels on the Backlot, but not sure.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nate fisher posted:

I remember reading years ago about a book that talks about the making of Fight Club (I think it was about several different movies or studios). The books talks about the studio's reaction (shock) during the first screening of the movie. Any ideas? After some google time I think it might be Rebels on the Backlot, but not sure.

From search inside Rebels on the Backlot, that looks right.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Trying to remember a book about a vampire whose car is a ghost. Also I think he occasionally blacked out and turned into this demon bat thing.

Edit: Also a different series about a vampire who only gets half the vampire virus (due to a blood transfusion with Dracula), so he doesn't have all their weaknesses. He meets up with Civil War ghosts, and one of the books references the Tik-Tok of Oz.

Piell fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 5, 2011

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009
I have a request. I read this in the early to mid 90's I think. It is a fantasy novel and the main character is a were-bear/rogue who ends up staying a in the bear form cause he changed one too many times. I believe he was deliberately infected with the lycanthropy by his parents who needed the money. There were also some wizard types who wore rings on their fingers that corresponded to how powerful they were. The more left on the hand the more powerful. I can't remember any of the plot details but one really odd factoid is that the rogue type used tools made out of vampire cartilage, I think. I have been somewhat searching for this book for awhile. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

Trying to remember a book about a vampire whose car is a ghost. Also I think he occasionally blacked out and turned into this demon bat thing.

Edit: Also a different series about a vampire who only gets half the vampire virus (due to a blood transfusion with Dracula), so he doesn't have all their weaknesses. He meets up with Civil War ghosts, and one of the books references the Tik-Tok of Oz.

I think the second one is the Half life series. Does he end up with a werewolf girlfriend?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think the second one is the Half life series. Does he end up with a werewolf girlfriend?

Yep, that's it, thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This one was cast on the radio and I only caught two series years ago and wondered since what it was. It was about a Castle inhabited by strange but generally friendly creatures who all went about their business. At one point I think a burglar or so entered and the gargoyle bit his head off. It was narrated like a children's book but with a serious undertone. Written by a prolific English author. All in all very British. Sorry, that's all I remember.

I am not sure but I think it was also mentioned that the swans on the lake were actually appendages used like periscopes that grew from a giant monster living at the lake's bottom.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I read a book as a kid, probably young adult, where it was the near future and the world was ruled by women. The Earth was going to get hit by a comet or something so everyone got into space arks and went off into space. One of them nearly got blown up by an alien defence system or something, began to lose supplies, and their society stopped being matriarchal. Then they found a new planet and somehow they were Adam and Eve or something and started a new Earth in a cycle. All a bit Battlestar Galactica. Anyone got any idea?

Sorry if this is vague, but this was about 20 years ago :shobon:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A young boy is taken by his grandfather to visit the graves of his great-grandfather, who was 7 feet tall, and his great-great-grandfather, who was almost 8 feet tall. I think the boy rode on the grandfather's shoulders at one point. Probably British, probably released in the late 70s or early 80s. That's all I have. Anyone?

louvinbrother
Apr 1, 2010

We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clean up the mess? :psyduck:
A little boy has a teddy bear that's actually a demon. Tentacles come out of the bear's ears and suck the life out of the boy. While this is going on, the boy has visions of what will happen to him in the future. The boy is sickly all the time from the teddy bear/demon draining his life.

It was a story in an anthology of the years best horror fiction. This would've been back in the early 90s. I have no idea what the title is and Google searches aren't coming up with anything.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

louvinbrother posted:

A little boy has a teddy bear that's actually a demon. Tentacles come out of the bear's ears and suck the life out of the boy. While this is going on, the boy has visions of what will happen to him in the future. The boy is sickly all the time from the teddy bear/demon draining his life.

It was a story in an anthology of the years best horror fiction. This would've been back in the early 90s. I have no idea what the title is and Google searches aren't coming up with anything.
This is The Professor's Teddy Bear (can read it here) by Mr. Theodore Sturgeon and is in one of Mr. Marvin Kaye's edited anthologies, Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural.

I have most of his anthologies with the Gorey illustrated coves and they are all very good reading.

louvinbrother
Apr 1, 2010

We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clean up the mess? :psyduck:

xcheopis posted:

This is The Professor's Teddy Bear (can read it here) by Mr. Theodore Sturgeon and is in one of Mr. Marvin Kaye's edited anthologies, Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural.

I have most of his anthologies with the Gorey illustrated coves and they are all very good reading.

Thank you. The story is just as disturbing as I remember. Makes sense that Sturgeon wrote it.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Read a book as a child about a Japanese kid, who's father is a Bunraku puppeteer. The kid also gets involved with puppetry, possibly wanting to be a master like his father or something.

Unfortunately, the only other thing that I remember about it was a scene where the kid licked his lips in front of his father's superior or some such, and apparently that was supremely rude.

Help?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I'm pasting this from another thread on TBB where I posted before being directed to the correct thread to ask in.

I really need your help TBB, this is really killing me since I can't figure it out. There's a book/story I'm trying to remember and I just can't. Here's the unfortunately vague clues:

The version I read was hosted in its entirety online on a page just for this story, it was quite long but not novel-length, somewhere between short story a novel.

It was recommended to me when I had been reading Snow Crash for the first time in the vein of "if you like that you'll love this".

It has a relatively simplistic title, making it harder to remember.

The front page of the website where I read the story had a diagram of circuitry as the header/"cover" for the book.

The story was about a future where everyone lives in a pseudo-real world where anything can be changed into anything through a supercomputer (I suddenly remember that I think the title of the story is the name of the supercomputer) who had gained sentience and then godlike quantum mechanics powers. The thrust of the story was a woman participates in torture contests and then finds a message from the supercomputer's creator and sets out to him find.

I never finished the story but I recently remember it and it's bugging me that I can't find it again since it should be easy if I only had the title.

I'm sure someone will know this immediately.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Kaptain K posted:

I'm sure someone will know this immediately.

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
That's the one, I knew it was so obvious but I just couldn't get the name. Thanks a million.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
A book I read in the late 80s or early 90s which I want to find again (it is probably terrible, with hindsight) - all I really seem to remember is that it was about the Cold War getting hot and a full-scale nuclear war starting. It opened as I recall with two American duty officers in an underground bunker (maybe a missile launch control site) - I remember the bunker was kind on shock absorbers of some kind so that it wouldn't get damaged when there were massive explosions above. The bunker was beneath a city of some kind that I think was hit directly, and then I vaguely recall the soldiers went out and I think the rest of the book was their struggle to survive in the aftermath of a nuclear strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Shot in the dark: I read this book back in the late 90s in my middle school English class. It was a young adult SciFi book about some kids that got these gloves from their school janitor that shot little ball bearings whenever they tensed up one of their fingers. The kids made games of practicing with it and then one day an alien came down to Earth and told them that they had been training for the real gloves. The alien then gave them the real gloves which shot balls of energy whenever they tensed their fingers. The janitor was in on it the whole time. The alien had this weird chameleon hair and didn't have to eat or sleep. The end of the book was the kids acting as bodyguards for the alien as he went to The White House.

That's all I remember. Looking back on it, it sounds like the worst best plot imaginable but I can't freaking remember the name of it. It's been bugging me for years.