Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Maybe you need to zoom in to see the labels or something? I'm pretty sure with the castle's population, theres so many people around at most times that you'd need to zoom in to a particular area to see the labels. Using it as overwatch doesn't seem that practical.

Maybe if they were stalking Ginny on the Map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I am continually confused on how the map works. Is it just one sheet of paper? If so how does the whole castle in detail fit on that? And I cannot for the life of me figure out all of the millions of folds in the movie version.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am continually confused on how the map works. Is it just one sheet of paper? If so how does the whole castle in detail fit on that? And I cannot for the life of me figure out all of the millions of folds in the movie version.

Think of it like google maps. Wizard paper is essentially identical to a computer monitor.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a literal plot device

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I actually liked that in the books the national teams of UK , Scotland and Ireland in quidditch were awful and embarrased themselves playing .

Not even in fiction England can win something.

All that stuff about muggles with shotguns , I'd like to read some fan fiction about some SAS platoon sent by the defence minister to the wizard world with the mission to go nuts on Death Eaters.Storming Lucius Malfoy house with some enchanted M4 with fiendfire bullets via HALO jump from a broom.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 5, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lamadrid posted:

I actually liked that in the books the national teams of UK , Scotland and Ireland in quidditch were awful and embarrased themselves playing .

Wait, didn't Ireland win the Quidditch world cup?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, didn't Ireland win the Quidditch world cup?

Woops , It was wales instead of Ireland.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I was recently re-reading Half Blood Prince, and I was amused that my mental image of Horace Slughorn remained the same, despite my overall enjoyment of Jim Broadbent in the role in the film (I know the films aren't big here, but this isn't really about the films)

When reading the book for the first time, I automatically imagine Horace as looking like Bob Hoskins, but with a big walrusy mustache. I recently discovered that Bob and J.K. were on a talk show together once, and Bob asked why he wasn't in the movies. She said that there was a role for him in Book 7 theoretically (Probably Fluer's father) but ignored the fact that he'd be a perfect Horace Slughorn.

So I pose this question to you fans of the book. Did any real people influence how you perceived characters in the books? I don't just mean the actors in the Potter films (as evidenced by my Bob Hoskins worship.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've always pictured Hagrid as looking a bit like this big bearded dude I used to work with. It's probably got to do with the fact that Hagrid is mostly described as being large and beardy, and those were this guy's prominent features too.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I never imagined Snape as looking like Alan Rickman at all. I imagined him as looking more like the stereotypical Igor or something.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

I never imagined Snape as looking like Alan Rickman at all. I imagined him as looking more like the stereotypical Igor or something.

I didn't imagine him like Rickman either. Don't get me wrong, I think he plays the character wonderfully, but he seems to have pudged up a bit in recent years and I always pictured Snape as tall and thin, with a goatee. I'm fairly sure that's how he's described in the books, at any rate.

Also I have a burning, irrational hatred for David Thewlis so I was pretty disappointed that he plays my favorite character. Something about his face just seems too smarmy for Lupin. :sigh:

Everyone else is so spot on that I tend to picture the actors when reading the books now. Especially McGonagall and Hagrid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

spixxor posted:

Also I have a burning, irrational hatred for David Thewlis so I was pretty disappointed that he plays my favorite character. Something about his face just seems too smarmy for Lupin. :sigh:

:smith: I love Thewlis as Lupin. He really nailed the exhausted quality of Lupin that I think is a cornerstone of his character. He's a strong wizard, but his power is almost always sapped because of his condition.

But I won't say that I picture him as Lupin when I read. I think the only actors to do that would be Rupert Grint as Ron and Maggie Smith as McGonagle. I'd say the girl who played Luna, but we all know they cast a complicated spell that brought the real Luna out of the book and into the real world, and then just had her play herself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lamadrid posted:

All that stuff about muggles with shotguns , I'd like to read some fan fiction about some SAS platoon sent by the defence minister to the wizard world with the mission to go nuts on Death Eaters.Storming Lucius Malfoy house with some enchanted M4 with fiendfire bullets via HALO jump from a broom.

Something like that happens in Fables.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

:smith: I love Thewlis as Lupin. He really nailed the exhausted quality of Lupin that I think is a cornerstone of his character. He's a strong wizard, but his power is almost always sapped because of his condition.

But I won't say that I picture him as Lupin when I read. I think the only actors to do that would be Rupert Grint as Ron and Maggie Smith as McGonagle. I'd say the girl who played Luna, but we all know they cast a complicated spell that brought the real Luna out of the book and into the real world, and then just had her play herself.

I agree, he does do a great job of nailing the character nuances. I did say it was an irrational hatred, after all. I just don't like his face.

That is hilariously accurate about Luna. Seriously, that girl is perfect.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Lamadrid posted:

Not even in fiction England can win something.

Another sperg is that why does the wizarding world conform to muggle national boundaries? They barely know what electricity is but have no trouble acknowledging nations and states that are relatively new.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

thebardyspoon posted:

For me Rickman portrays Snape almost in exactly the same way I imagined Snape to be in my head. He's a great actor, when they announced it was him as Snape I couldn't think of anyone better to cast for the role... Especially after how awesome he was as the Sheriff of Nottingham in Prince of Thieves.

Anyway, we all booked our tickets yeah? :D

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah but in the books they describe him as greasy, lank haired, sallow faced and generally unpleasant to look at. Alan Rickman is pretty goddamn sexy.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 5, 2011

minema
May 31, 2011
He doesn't completely match how I imagined him to look but that didn't matter as soon as I heard him talk, he nailed that perfectly for me.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lamadrid posted:

Considering the Death Eaters can transform the guns into flowers quite easily it probably would be short and end with a lot of dead guys in fatigues.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

spixxor posted:

That is hilariously accurate about Luna. Seriously, that girl is perfect.

I thought her hair would be messier and/or more hippy-looking. That's my only complaint about her casting.

Other than that, nobody in the movies looked like what I thought they would except that Harry and McGonnagle were closish. And sort of Hermione in the first film. And Dumbledore in terms of "old man with a huge grey beard" but not in terms of his actual looks and stature.

Helena Bonham-Carter is awesome as Bellatrix, just not what I was picturing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Decius posted:

Considering the Death Eaters can transform the guns into flowers quite easily it probably would be short and end with a lot of dead guys in fatigues.

The "muggles with guns would win" thing is brought up all the time but I really don't think so. In terms of a quickdraw wild-west shootout, yeah, it's probably going to be the guy with the pistol, but what's to stop a wizard using a charm that deflects bullets for the next couple of hours (or days, or permanently until it's dispelled with another spell)? Not to mention all the "haha, I wasn't actually ever even there!" tricks a wizard could pull.

That's all assuming the muggles (even wizard-assisted muggles) could find the building in the first place. Grimmauld Place wasn't exactly easy to find if it didn't want to be found and nobody gave the location away.

Edit: Crap, I thought I was editing that quote into my previous post.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 6, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Wizards have literally no idea what a gun is. Even the wizards that like Muggles sort of treat them as adorable oddities.

It'd be like if our pets and livestock suddenly could cause us bodily harm from a distance for no discernable reason. We wouldn't know what the gently caress.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm not going to sperg out over this... BUT... Even if wizards thought that muggles had literal stone-age technology, a charm "against being hit" isn't going to discern between a thrown rock and a sniper's bullet. Also, wizards know muggles have cars, trains, and electronics at the very least (Mr. Weasley has a flying car, Platform 9 3/4 is at a real station, even pre-1st-year Hermione knows electronics fail near Hogwarts). They don't think muggles are non-advanced, they just don't give a gently caress about how advanced they might be.

I'm probably misremembering this, but isn't radar even mentioned by a wizard at one point?

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I thought her hair would be messier and/or more hippy-looking. That's my only complaint about her casting.

Other than that, nobody in the movies looked like what I thought they would except that Harry and McGonnagle were closish. And sort of Hermione in the first film. And Dumbledore in terms of "old man with a huge grey beard" but not in terms of his actual looks and stature.

Helena Bonham-Carter is awesome as Bellatrix, just not what I was picturing.

Like the Lupin guy above, I just hate Helena Bonham-Carter. Whenever she's in a movie, I end up hating it because I dislike her so much. She always plays the same character, an eccentric, loud, wild-haired crazy lady, and never does it well. So her as Bellatrix just annoys the crap out of me.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Paragon8 posted:

Wizards have literally no idea what a gun is.

Excuse me sir, I think you mean 'firelegs'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The whole "Wizards would lose to guns" thing kind of ignores the fact that Wizards have instant teleportation to anywhere they choose. They'd lose a straight-up fight but I'm pretty sure they could make pretty good use of the ability to suddenly appear inside the home of every single important official in the world.

Not to mention that if you're talking about Evil Wizards (or even amoral wizards), they have an army of literally invisible and apparently invincible soul-eating energy-draining Dementors at their beck and call.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I'm not going to sperg out over this... BUT... Even if wizards thought that muggles had literal stone-age technology, a charm "against being hit" isn't going to discern between a thrown rock and a sniper's bullet. Also, wizards know muggles have cars, trains, and electronics at the very least (Mr. Weasley has a flying car, Platform 9 3/4 is at a real station, even pre-1st-year Hermione knows electronics fail near Hogwarts). They don't think muggles are non-advanced, they just don't give a gently caress about how advanced they might be.

and that kind of arrogance will be their undoing.

Also, the general magical ability has gone down to the point where the Ministry of Magic has to buy shield charms from the Weasely Bros in bulk.

I really don't think Magic is presented as that superior to Muggle technology, it's just an alternative lifestyle essentially. Probably the only edge I'd really give them is transportation and maybe candy.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I really think the ability to be invisible, invulnerable, and anywhere you like would be big points in favor of wizards winning. (Yes, there's only one permanent invisibility cloak, but apparently there's plenty of ones that will stop working "after a while").

Is it ever established how Apparition works? Do you need to have been to a place to apparate to it without a portkey? If not, then yeah, wizards win as they take out all the opposition leaders in the first 5 minutes (using the first 3 minutes to scry them out, I guess).

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

I really think the ability to be invisible, invulnerable, and anywhere you like would be big points in favor of wizards winning. (Yes, there's only one permanent invisibility cloak, but apparently there's plenty of ones that will stop working "after a while").

Is it ever established how Apparition works? Do you need to have been to a place to apparate to it without a portkey? If not, then yeah, wizards win as they take out all the opposition leaders in the first 5 minutes (using the first 3 minutes to scry them out, I guess).

They aren't that many wizards in the world and the portion of dark wizards is even smaller.You could wipe out the enterity of the Death Eaters in one attack , and in a normal battle (like in the seventh book) you could destroy them with sniper fire (wizards normally react , at least in the books , to visual clues of the spell) and you normally don't see or hear bullets.

:colbert:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Paragon8 posted:

Probably the only edge I'd really give them is transportation and maybe candy.

drat straight about that candy.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah but in the books they describe him as greasy, lank haired, sallow faced and generally unpleasant to look at. Alan Rickman is pretty goddamn sexy.

When I first read the books I pictured Snape much more as Wormtongue from LOTR (played by Brad Dourif.)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Lamadrid posted:

They aren't that many wizards in the world and the portion of dark wizards is even smaller.You could wipe out the enterity of the Death Eaters in one attack , and in a normal battle (like in the seventh book) you could destroy them with sniper fire (wizards normally react , at least in the books , to visual clues of the spell) and you normally don't see or hear bullets.

:colbert:

Well, if you use the number of 100,000 wizards at the Quidditch world cup and assume at least one third of them were British (which introduces really crazy assumptions about the sizes of the Bulgarian and Irish populations) and that from the reactions of other characters the event didn't a universal attendance among the population. Even assuming 50% of English wizards attended that would peg the English population of wizards at about 65,000 which would make them only half as rare as a Jewish person in England.

Which goes to show that JK Rowling can't be trusted around numbers.

I could really go for some chocolate frogs.

I like how Rowling threw in cockroach clusters as a weird and enticing thing for wizard sweets, but is a pretty well known muggle novelty snack

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
Muggles would win due to sheer numbers. It would be the most experienced Protoss player being swarmed by hundreds of zerg players. The death toll would probably be 20:1 in the Wizard's favor, but they would still lose.

Also, "Fables". Is that a FanFic or a real novel?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Muggles would win due to sheer numbers. It would be the most experienced Protoss player being swarmed by hundreds of zerg players. The death toll would probably be 20:1 in the Wizard's favor, but they would still lose.

Haha SC2 crossover!

Fables is a comic book series that sort of explores the existence of a fairy tale world within our own in a realistic manner.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paragon8 posted:

Haha SC2 crossover!

Fables is a comic book series that sort of explores the existence of a fairy tale world within our own in a realistic manner.

It started good however went down hill when the main enemy was defeated and became a soap box for the authors conservative beliefs. Like talking about how great Israel is.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It started good however went down hill when the main enemy was defeated and became a soap box for the authors conservative beliefs. Like talking about how great Israel is.

I only read the Cinderella mini-arc which was pretty neat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE HORSES rear end posted:

It's a comic book series but it got really, really, really bad beyond a certain point. It started out as a kind of "Fantasy characters living in New York" thing and eventually descended into this total mess that went on long beyond when it should have ended.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Paragon8 posted:

I like how Rowling threw in cockroach clusters as a weird and enticing thing for wizard sweets, but is a pretty well known muggle novelty snack
I'm guessing she threw in cockroach clusters because it's a Monty Python joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows right now and something is bugging me.

Why the hell does Voldemort fly everywhere? He could have caught Harry like 6 fuckin' times if he would just apparate, did I miss something somewhere that explains why he feels the need to fly instead? To be spooky, or what?

• Locked thread