Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Lawnie posted:

How does it feel to have goons continually begging you for work?

Fantastic! I'm not hiring you untalented slobs for poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Fantastic! I'm not hiring you untalented slobs for poo poo.

i might be untalented and i might be a slob but i thought our joint participation in an internet forum would have meant more to you.

also, i'm gonna memorize that phase diagram just to spite you.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Lawnie posted:

i might be untalented and i might be a slob but i thought our joint participation in an internet forum would have meant more to you.

also, i'm gonna memorize that phase diagram just to spite you.
Surely, it's not the memorizing of the diagrams that is important, right? RIGHT?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Chemmy I'm an electrical engineer can I have a job too

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I finally got to use the Combat 52 cal last night. I was really, really impressed. It felt both lighter and better balanced than my X60, and it is an absolutely nasty shooter. I got a 90 flex, and it felt a bit easier to load than the 87 flex X60, plus it was a good bit better on slappers. Felt fine catching passes, was a bit firmer than the X60 but still very good. I thought it was as good or better than any stick I've used, and the best part is it was only $140.

Also after our skate someone asked me if I got it at Dollar General.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
The name Chemmy is so relevant!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Finally used my GoPro at the rink last week for open hockey. Still thinking about whether I'll wear it during league games. Not the most thrilling since I don't typically score goals. The one shot I have at the end is the only shot I got that entire night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bleeQ79kTT8

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
We are getting new ice/boards and glass on one of our sheets

:swoon:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

poser posted:

We are getting new ice/boards and glass on one of our sheets

:swoon:

Oh man that is beautiful!

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Surfing Turtle posted:

Oh man that is beautiful!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I play at a literally new facility (2 years old) so new boards and new anything in general is awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would pay double admission for a couple months if my rink redid their ice. Well, one of the rinks is okay. The other one is in pretty bad shape though.

Huge cracks, half the rink is concrete color because the paint wore away, and most of the hockey markings are faded to poo poo.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

I would pay double admission for a couple months if my rink redid their ice. Well, one of the rinks is okay. The other one is in pretty bad shape though.

Huge cracks, half the rink is concrete color because the paint wore away, and most of the hockey markings are faded to poo poo.

We have 4 sheets and I think they replace 2 every 1-2 years. The sheet they are working on is the one that the Sharks use and its the best ice in the place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

We have 4 sheets and I think they replace 2 every 1-2 years. The sheet they are working on is the one that the Sharks use and its the best ice in the place.

I think the lesson learned here is that when scouting out a new home, pick one that's as close as possible to a pro team practice facility.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

Today I learned the Zamboni was invented in California

:eng101:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Today I learned the Zamboni was invented in California

:eng101:

There's still an original in Paramount at the rink.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Preds practice sheet is definitely the nicest in town. The one I was playing on the other day I noticed that I couldn't really make out the faceoff circles aside from center ice.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

I think the lesson learned here is that when scouting out a new home, pick one that's as close as possible to a pro team practice facility.

The Ice Den is the nicest rink and Phoenix and it's the Coyotes practice facility, so that holds true here.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

I'm breaking in some new skates and might have the time to actually join a league either in Oakland or San Jose next season. San Jose is a bit of a drive but I heard there's more teams, it's more fun, and it's more competitive out there. I just splurged on skates after not having been on the ice in five years and I'm just getting my legs back. I haven't touched a stick to the ice yet (why is everyone stopping pickup for a week ugh) so I'm not begging for team invites or anything but I was wondering if any of you Sharks Ice goons have attended Free Agent night? How does it work? Just a casual shootaround with captains watching?

I also have no idea what skill level to put down on the FA lists because I have no idea how skilled each level is nowadays (all these loving letters). I'll probably have to bite the bullet (gently caress gas) and try to attend some games to find a level where I might be comfortable getting restarted in and shoot for invites to teams in those brackets. I played in Oakland's platinum league before leaving for college and did very well but I've been rusting for days and everyone around here is getting better and better. Any suggestions on a good day to show up to catch a few different brackets in one day or should I just sign up and show up for FA day next season and hope somebody likes what they see?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

StyleFresh posted:

I'm breaking in some new skates and might have the time to actually join a league either in Oakland or San Jose next season. San Jose is a bit of a drive but I heard there's more teams, it's more fun, and it's more competitive out there. I just splurged on skates after not having been on the ice in five years and I'm just getting my legs back. I haven't touched a stick to the ice yet (why is everyone stopping pickup for a week ugh) so I'm not begging for team invites or anything but I was wondering if any of you Sharks Ice goons have attended Free Agent night? How does it work? Just a casual shootaround with captains watching?

I also have no idea what skill level to put down on the FA lists because I have no idea how skilled each level is nowadays (all these loving letters). I'll probably have to bite the bullet (gently caress gas) and try to attend some games to find a level where I might be comfortable getting restarted in and shoot for invites to teams in those brackets. I played in Oakland's platinum league before leaving for college and did very well but I've been rusting for days and everyone around here is getting better and better. Any suggestions on a good day to show up to catch a few different brackets in one day or should I just sign up and show up for FA day next season and hope somebody likes what they see?

Have you played hockey before? If so, lower "D" levels in San Jose should be fine. When I got back into ice I started in single "E" and after 2-3 games I felt that I was playing too low. As of right now I play in DDDDD and DD and even though its only a few levels apart there is a clear difference in the levels. I run the DD team and half our roster is free agents and honestly some probably should be playing a bit lower but we all get a long and have fun and that is what truly matters. On the free agent page there is a list of every ones; name, email and desired level. I just emailed people explaining our team and if they were in they joined the team with no "evaluation skate"

It all comes down to finding the right team that will work with you. When I do the lines we always put the 1 guy playing up a level or down with someone that can help cover his mistakes and it seems to be working out. The higher levels are also more fun because the games are fast and people tend to have a better understanding of the game and it makes it more fun to play in. The only reason I still play in DDDDD is because I want to play on two teams and I dont anyone else who needs players. I have way more fun in DD(top 4 in scoring:whatup: ) but I find that in DDDDD I coast and dont try most of the games because I can play at 50% and still hang and my 0 points in that league kind of prove that.

If I have a day off during the week or you want to get up at crazy hours on the weekends I have some friends that play all over in the league level and you can see how you match up with them and it might give you a good idea where you belong.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

poser posted:

Have you played hockey before? If so, lower "D" levels in San Jose should be fine. When I got back into ice I started in single "E" and after 2-3 games I felt that I was playing too low. As of right now I play in DDDDD and DD and even though its only a few levels apart there is a clear difference in the levels. I run the DD team and half our roster is free agents and honestly some probably should be playing a bit lower but we all get a long and have fun and that is what truly matters. On the free agent page there is a list of every ones; name, email and desired level. I just emailed people explaining our team and if they were in they joined the team with no "evaluation skate"

It all comes down to finding the right team that will work with you. When I do the lines we always put the 1 guy playing up a level or down with someone that can help cover his mistakes and it seems to be working out. The higher levels are also more fun because the games are fast and people tend to have a better understanding of the game and it makes it more fun to play in. The only reason I still play in DDDDD is because I want to play on two teams and I dont anyone else who needs players. I have way more fun in DD(top 4 in scoring:whatup: ) but I find that in DDDDD I coast and dont try most of the games because I can play at 50% and still hang and my 0 points in that league kind of prove that.

If I have a day off during the week or you want to get up at crazy hours on the weekends I have some friends that play all over in the league level and you can see how you match up with them and it might give you a good idea where you belong.

Sweet, maybe I'll take you up on that and check them out. I played through the entire youth system from mites to midgets in Oakland/Tri-Valley and some adult league but stopped playing when I left for college and hadn't touched the ice since. I keep all the trophies around to tease myself about playing again so it's time to scratch the itch! I'm gonna try to hit some local pickup before I try to make the jump right onto a team to see if I can manage to get any of my game back. Hopefully I'm still decent and I can look for a team to sub for, for the rest of the summer season. Are teams still picking up players this late?

drat, two teams? I'd love to play all the hockey I can but the 40 minute drive to San Jose kills me and my gas tank after driving the 90 miles home from Sacramento. :smith: Maybe I can do that with teams in San Jose and Oakland or Dublin at some point.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

StyleFresh posted:

Sweet, maybe I'll take you up on that and check them out. I played through the entire youth system from mites to midgets in Oakland/Tri-Valley and some adult league but stopped playing when I left for college and hadn't touched the ice since. I keep all the trophies around to tease myself about playing again so it's time to scratch the itch! I'm gonna try to hit some local pickup before I try to make the jump right onto a team to see if I can manage to get any of my game back. Hopefully I'm still decent and I can look for a team to sub for, for the rest of the summer season. Are teams still picking up players this late?

drat, two teams? I'd love to play all the hockey I can but the 40 minute drive to San Jose kills me and my gas tank after driving the 90 miles home from Sacramento. :smith: Maybe I can do that with teams in San Jose and Oakland or Dublin at some point.

Everyone needs subs! Rosters lock on the 7th so it might be tough.. You will need a USA hockey registration when you start playing, if you want to get it now I can add you to our roster as a sub and if we need anyone in an emergency situation I can let you know. I have a game in an our and we have an 6-8 person Sub list and nobody can make it so its tough to get people sometime.

If you played travel with the blue devils you will have no problem in the D levels because you will have "sense" and at those levels that is more valuable than anything.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Sure, I'll register in a few minutes and PM you my info. Unfortunately I'm usually in Sac during the weekends until around 6pm but if I know the night before I can arrange leaving earlier.

StyleFresh fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 3, 2011

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
New purchase :unsmith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Thufir posted:

Ok, I have a $260 credit and get 10% off and free shipping. I've only worn Bauer skates so I want to stick with them. Should I drop an extra $40 and get the ugly Vapor X5.0s or $10 more and try the less-ugly Supreme One70s?

I ended up getting these ugly things:

I think they actually fit me slightly better than the X:40s they're replacing. I skated for an hour yesterday and the only discomfort I had was from the insoles. I put superfeet in and skated 70 minutes today with no issue at all. Pretty impressive for unbaked skates with only 2 hours on the ice.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Thufir posted:

I ended up getting these ugly things:

I think they actually fit me slightly better than the X:40s they're replacing. I skated for an hour yesterday and the only discomfort I had was from the insoles. I put superfeet in and skated 70 minutes today with no issue at all. Pretty impressive for unbaked skates with only 2 hours on the ice.

Ugh yeah I just picked these up as well and I was a little turned off by the look but they were the comfiest on my feet and I dig the stiffness. I baked them and am skating in them for the first time in a little so hopefully that did the trick and got rid of my little insole bump.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

StyleFresh posted:

Ugh yeah I just picked these up as well and I was a little turned off by the look but they were the comfiest on my feet and I dig the stiffness. I baked them and am skating in them for the first time in a little so hopefully that did the trick and got rid of my little insole bump.

It's not like the old Vapor line was particularly good looking either but to me these just seem to take the ugly one step further in some way that I can't quite put my finger on.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Anyone use the flat bottom sharpening? Any testimonials? I've only heard good things and was wondering if there's a downside.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It feels like you're skidding in turns at first. I dunno, it's probably the same as regular sharpening.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I started using it 8 months ago when I purchased my new skates. It feels like I get more of out of each sharpening and like I have "more edge". I use 95/50 and have been pretty happy with it.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

poser posted:

made my own stick wax

Hi poser, I'm being a creep and skimming from page one at work. How'd this turn out, does it work well? How'd you make it?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

StyleFresh posted:

Hi poser, I'm being a creep and skimming from page one at work. How'd this turn out, does it work well? How'd you make it?

I actually never used it.. I went on a huge scoring streak right after I made it so I never re-taped my stick to use it and ended up forgetting about it. The scoring streak is over so I will use it next time I tape my blade.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just picked up another pair of Reebok 11k SickKick III sticks after a visit to my brother in law (who just signed with Calgary over the holiday). Chatted with him about the world championships etc, saw that he picked up some easton sticks which he says he likes for the feel and durability more so than the Reeboks so he was more than eager to shed a few of his reeboks off on me which Im not complaining about. Apparently at the worlds, the players get free poo poo literally thrown at them. I think he flew back with a dozen or so top of the line Easton sticks, some skates, and a few pairs of gloves to try. All of that AND a six figure paycheck?

Now I just need to get some new Tacky Mac blade pads (for inline), cut the sticks down about 2 inches. Im not even sure if these saw ice time, freshly taped for playoffs but then sat since March.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anybody ever break a toe? How long was it until you could play again? I broke mine on Saturday and now I might not be able to play for a few weeks which really blows.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Anybody ever break a toe? How long was it until you could play again? I broke mine on Saturday and now I might not be able to play for a few weeks which really blows.

Make sure you get it splinted or wrapped up with another toe asap and in most cases you should be good in a few weeks unless the break is ridiculous. I once failed to get a toe break looked at and it ended up healing awkwardly and hurting when I bent it for years until it was broken again.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

StyleFresh posted:

Make sure you get it splinted or wrapped up with another toe asap and in most cases you should be good in a few weeks unless the break is ridiculous. I once failed to get a toe break looked at and it ended up healing awkwardly and hurting when I bent it for years until it was broken again.

I've been taping it at home since i broke it, to my middle toe. It's bruised pretty badly but doesn't look too bent. I don't think I need it looked at. Hopefully a few weeks will heal it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

StyleFresh posted:

Anyone use the flat bottom sharpening? Any testimonials? I've only heard good things and was wondering if there's a downside.
I like it. I definitely feel like I'm getting more bite for the same amount of glide.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Does anyone use a backpack for their gear bag? I usually get a ride to the rink but yesterday I wanted to go to a stick and puck to mess around skating out. Carried my stuff in a duffel bag and never realized how long the walks were to and from the train stations. Needless to say it totally sucked carrying all that crap on one shoulder. I want to get a backpack gear bag so I don't kill myself. Anyone use one or have any recommendations?

I'm looking at this because it's cheap:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=HB170

It doesn't look like all my stuff will fit in it but I have no problem hanging my helmet off one of the straps or something.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Surfing Turtle posted:

Does anyone use a backpack for their gear bag? I usually get a ride to the rink but yesterday I wanted to go to a stick and puck to mess around skating out. Carried my stuff in a duffel bag and never realized how long the walks were to and from the train stations. Needless to say it totally sucked carrying all that crap on one shoulder. I want to get a backpack gear bag so I don't kill myself. Anyone use one or have any recommendations?

I'm looking at this because it's cheap:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=HB170

It doesn't look like all my stuff will fit in it but I have no problem hanging my helmet off one of the straps or something.

I used one for roller with no problems. With ice everything just fits but its like doing a puzzle to get it all in the bag. I just dealt with until I started my own team and needed to bring a puck bag to games and purchased a bag that would fit all my gear and a puck bag. It might be a pain in the rear end but if your walking and taking a train it might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I used one for roller with no problems. With ice everything just fits but its like doing a puzzle to get it all in the bag. I just dealt with until I started my own team and needed to bring a puck bag to games and purchased a bag that would fit all my gear and a puck bag. It might be a pain in the rear end but if your walking and taking a train it might be worth it.

I use really small pads/pants anyway. I figured I would just slip my elbow pads and kneepads inside my pants to save some space. I don't mind hanging my helmet outside the bag. Do you think that one would work? I wasn't trying to spend too much but they make it sound like half my poo poo wont even fit.