Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Pagan posted:

I've always wondered how well anyone who's not a bike nut could tell one black sportbike from another black sportbike.

The license plate? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Awww it's so cute how you think the American traffic system has anything to do with safety.

I neither admitted nor denied anything. I simply told the court that if they wished to convict me of a crime, I expected them to prove it. If they want me to follow a certain set of rules, I expect them to follow a certain set of rules. For example, expecting a police officer to positively identify a vehicle alleged to be used in a crime, or demonstrate the ability to tell one vehicle from another, isn't a "scheme."

When I informed the court that I expected them to follow the rules, they are the ones who said "oh, man, that's actually too much work... We'd rather make a deal."

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Pagan posted:

I plead not guilty to the ticket, and if it went to trial, my plan was to get pictures of 4 or 5 different sportbikes, from the rear, and ask the officer to pick out which bike was mine. The city agreed to drop the ticket in exchange for a small fee, which I accepted since all I wanted was to keep it off my insurance, but I've always wondered how well anyone who's not a bike nut could tell one black sportbike from another black sportbike.

Um... have you been to traffic court before? Your word versus the cop's word will result in you losing... and paying court costs... and maybe spending a few nights in traffic school.

The last time I was in traffic court, the first few people had fantastic reasons for breaking the law or for claiming they weren't the ones who "did it." For example, one lady was driving a van filled with mentally challenged adults. They were getting violent so she she tried to get them back to the group home ASAP. The judge said, "So, you decided to make a dangerous situation even more dangerous by speeding and putting even more lives in jeopardy?" That lady got all the points, the fine, court costs, and traffic school.

When my turn came I just said, "Uh yeah, I ran the red light. I misjudged it. I was an idiot. I have no excuse. I had time to stop but I didn't." I got no points, no fine, just one night of traffic school which consisted of watching a traffic safety video hosted by Christopher Reeve before being paralyzed.

I bet dollars to donuts that if you go to court the cop will add how you were evading him, that you broke the speed limit again, were missing mirrors, and reckless.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Perhaps, except what actually happened, every single time, is the court was willing to drop charges to avoid going to trial. I got out of 5 tickets that way, in various different cities and counties. Not one court wanted to go to trial, it was always deferred adjudication.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Pagan posted:

Awww it's so cute how you think the American traffic system has anything to do with safety.

When I informed the court that I expected them to follow the rules, they are the ones who said "oh, man, that's actually too much work... We'd rather make a deal."

Ha ha ha, you must not live in a cash strapped city like I do. Every judge in Michigan looks at civil infractions as a chance for $$$$$. Good luck.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I should add that, in texas at least, court costs are included in the ticket even if you plead no contest. There is absolutely no risk to fighting a ticket; the worst possible outcome of going to court is paying the same as you would in the first place.

I didn't write the rules, and I don't feel any moral obligation to fall on my sword to ensure the city or county can pad it's coffers.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 6, 2011

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Pagan posted:

I should add that, in texas at least, court costs are included in the ticket even if you plead no contest. There is absolutely no risk to fighting a ticket; the worst possible outcome of going to court is paying the same as you would in the first place.

I didn't write the rules, and I don't feel any moral obligation to fall on my sword to ensure the city or county can pad it's courts.

In Michigan, cops are allowed to write down everything they observed on the ticket, but choose what to "charge" you on. For example, I was clocked doing 55 in 35 MPH construction zone. The cop wrote me up for 5 over and didn't give me the double penalty for the construction zone. He looked me in the eye told me if that if he saw me in court he would make sure I got 20 over (which is reckless driving) and the construction penalty. I called the Troy courthouse to see if that was possible... and apparently it is. I just paid the stupid fine.

Stay safe, man.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I should mention that I did pay. They called it court costs, but it was a bit less than the fine..the difference was it didn't go on my driving record and didn't affect my insurance rates. That's what I cared about, since Texas had a points system, and insurance for a 23 year old with a sport bike and a 350z convertible was high enough.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pagan posted:

I've always wondered how well anyone who's not a bike nut could tell one black sportbike from another black sportbike.

They can't. I was on a group ride with some guys off another forum about 2 years back, and despite was being forewarned that the route we were taking was lousy with highway patrol one complete nutter on a turbo K5 1000, the exact same year and colour as mine (but not me), took off at a million miles an hour. On the way the rest of us who were taking it easy spotted a lot of cops driving back and forth (and nearly had a big crash when two decided a good place to stop and talk was after a blind corner). About 45min after setting off we all get pulled over as well as some other guys separate from our group, licences handed over and told they spotted someone doing like 200+km/h and wanted to know who it was. As you might imagine, no one put their hand up. At this point the main cop goes "he was riding a black Japanese sportsbike and wearing dark clothes" and instantly regrets it when about 15 guys all start asking for their licences back because their bike is blue/white/red/Italian/a Triumph/etc etc.

Pagan posted:

Perhaps, except what actually happened, every single time, is the court was willing to drop charges to avoid going to trial. I got out of 5 tickets that way, in various different cities and counties. Not one court wanted to go to trial, it was always deferred adjudication.

This is most likely due to them not wanting a precedent being set if you win. The prosecutors in Australia are notorious for dropping charges the moment it looks like they'll lose, particularly anything to do with speed cameras or police radar/laser units.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 6, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Pagan posted:

I didn't write the rules, and I don't feel any moral obligation to fall on my sword to ensure the city or county can pad it's coffers.

I remember this from my tickets a few years back and I was pissed I was paying like $120 in court fees despite never going or wanting to go to court.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

hayden. posted:

Is that you, grandpa?

Naw, this is Mike Wolfe from American Pickers. 'Sup.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Every time I've been in court there is some guy who looks like he just got finished painting a house with a warrant on him who gets let off with a really small fine and/or payment plan because he simply can't pay anything. Once it was even a DWI that got dropped to interfering with traffic flow or something like that. I guess the best angle is not showing up/having warrants out on you and then being piss poor when they finally get you in court.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yeah in Texas if you say you didn't do it they will usually offer you a deal. Trials are expensive, you paying some dollars is cheap, even if its less dollars then they wanted its still "free" money for them. Whereas a Jury trial will actually cost them money, making it a real stupid move.

I have a perfectly clean driving record from saying "I didn't do it, what kind of deal can we reach?" and always paying a few bucks less than the ticket but having it dismissed.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This is most likely due to them not wanting a precedent being set if you win. The prosecutors in Australia are notorious for dropping charges the moment it looks like they'll lose, particularly anything to do with speed cameras or police radar/laser units.

I don't think the US system works on precedent's isn't US law all codified so they shouldn't have to worry about precedent's being set?

I was on a group ride of 5 guys I was on a yellow and black 01 GSXR 750 and the leader had a yellow and black 05 Gixxer 1000. Leader was swerving between traffic and driving fast. We got to a restaurant to eat and a cop comes up to me and starts giving me poo poo for driving like an idiot and if he sees me ever swerving between traffic like that again he will make sure I get the max fine. I wanted to call him on it but I did had some illegal mods on my bike that he noticed as he pulled up so I just left it alone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While we're talking about traffic infractions and stupid people, I have a fun one.

Back when I owned my DRZ400SM, I was driving by someones house in town who apparently didn't like how loud my exhaust was. He yelled at me about something that I couldn't hear as I drove by, and I gave him the "huh?" arm signal, and rode on. I drove out of town, and headed out on a two lane country highway.

As I'm driving on the highway I can see in my mirror a BMW 5-series closing REALLY fast on me. He's right on my rear end, and at the next stop sign, he pulls up next to me and starts screaming about how I was doing 120 on that road, and all sorts of other stuff.

I informed him that my bike couldn't even do 100mph without a lot of time and open road, and he proceeds to inform me that he had to do 120mph to catch me (after giving me the 2 minute head start required to get in his car, pull out and catch me), and that he was going straight to the police station to report me.

I hadnt been speeding, and had no illegal mods, so I just told him "Go ahead, go to the police station, tell them you did 120mph in a 45 to catch a bike that cant do 100, and see what they have to say. I'll even go with you!!". He swore he was going to turn me in, I never heard anything from the police.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
If you regularly break traffic laws and don't have a lawyer on retainer you're a moron. You're also a moron if you just pay the ticket without taking it to court.
Seriously folks, just give a lawyer $500 and tell them you like to speed. They'll give you their card and you'll never pay more than $100 to have every traffic citation you get dismissed and you'll keep your insurance clean.
I've been pulled over 3 times since moving to Birmingham, one of the most broke cities in America, and every time they've let me go without even giving me a ticket when I hand them my license, registration, proof of insurance, and my lawyer's card. Cops aren't going to waste their time with someone they know is going to make them prove their case; they'd much rather go after poor people and the stupid people who just pay the fine.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

SaucyPants posted:

I don't think the US system works on precedent's isn't US law all codified so they shouldn't have to worry about precedent's being set?

I was on a group ride of 5 guys I was on a yellow and black 01 GSXR 750 and the leader had a yellow and black 05 Gixxer 1000. Leader was swerving between traffic and driving fast. We got to a restaurant to eat and a cop comes up to me and starts giving me poo poo for driving like an idiot and if he sees me ever swerving between traffic like that again he will make sure I get the max fine. I wanted to call him on it but I did had some illegal mods on my bike that he noticed as he pulled up so I just left it alone.

Stare Decisis - check it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stare_decisis

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

^^ edit: gaaaaaaahhhh^^

SaucyPants posted:

Laws are interpreted by courts, and that interpretation stands from one case to another. Precedence plays a major role in US courts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stare_decisis#U.S._legal_system

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

hayden. posted:

Laws are interpreted by courts, and that interpretation stands from one case to another. Precedence plays a major role in US courts.

Grandpa strikes again.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
ah thanks for the info. I was just in a law class and the teacher made a big deal about how Canada's law is all based on precedence and that US and Quebec law is all codified and based off that.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Grandpa strikes again.

It's not as nice as Ola's...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

It's not as nice as Ola's...

No animation. Unanimously rejected by the marketing department.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

HAPPY??? IS IT lovely ENOUGH FOR YOU???

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Crayvex posted:

HAPPY??? IS IT lovely ENOUGH FOR YOU???

How did you do that

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

frozenphil posted:

If you regularly break traffic laws and don't have a lawyer on retainer you're a moron. You're also a moron if you just pay the ticket without taking it to court.
Seriously folks, just give a lawyer $500 and tell them you like to speed. They'll give you their card and you'll never pay more than $100 to have every traffic citation you get dismissed and you'll keep your insurance clean.
I've been pulled over 3 times since moving to Birmingham, one of the most broke cities in America, and every time they've let me go without even giving me a ticket when I hand them my license, registration, proof of insurance, and my lawyer's card. Cops aren't going to waste their time with someone they know is going to make them prove their case; they'd much rather go after poor people and the stupid people who just pay the fine.

This

and if you get a ticket go to court and plead not guilty. The prosecutor almost always offers a plea bargain.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Doctor Zero posted:

It looks like a 3AM tax service commercial on the WB.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marv Hushman posted:

And this is wrong how?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Welcome to an outside view of your posting. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

:iceburn:

How do you type with all those sick burns? :v:

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly

hayden. posted:

:eng101:Except in Louisiana where it's all still civil code!:eng101:

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
This belongs to a friend's old man. Don't see too many around, always thought it was an interesting bike, I never quite understood where it fit into Honda's lineup. (CBR Blackbird) 110k on the ODO!

cinder fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 8, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

cinder posted:

This belongs to a friend's old man. Don't see too many around, always thought it was an interesting bike, I never quite understood where it fit into Honda's lineup. (CBR Blackbird) 110k on the ODO!

I think you might be lost.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

frozenphil posted:

I know. Y'all are right. It's time for change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBcbof6FRqw&feature=related

cinder
Aug 25, 2000

frozenphil posted:

I think you might be lost.

Oh Bob Saget.. That was for pics n vids.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Cycle Asylum > Overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo thread > Honda makes a bike that's interesting

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
On why a novelty skullcap helmet is at least 90% as good as a DOT full-face: "I read on a legit site that if a biker were to get in a wreck that was bad enough for the integrity of the helmet to be a factor in head trauma, then more than 90% of the time there would be at least one other fatal injury on the body."

Oh no a legit site.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MonkeyHate posted:

On why a novelty skullcap helmet is at least 90% as good as a DOT full-face: "I read on a legit site that if a biker were to get in a wreck that was bad enough for the integrity of the helmet to be a factor in head trauma, then more than 90% of the time there would be at least one other fatal injury on the body."

Oh no a legit site.

Aren't those things lovingly called 'brain buckets' ? Wonder where that name came from :allears:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Taco Box posted:

Aren't those things lovingly called 'brain buckets' ? Wonder where that name came from :allears:

From people who are overly fond of their choice in helmet and want to belittle others choices to make themselves feel better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I'd still wear a full face even if it meant only a 10% higher chance at surviving.

• Locked thread