Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

gently caress all of you with your broadbands and editor tools and youtube tutorials (without a good hour to stream ahead of time)

Do PC magazines still put this sort of thing on cover disks?

Tell me what you want and I'll burn it to a disc for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

BizarroAzrael posted:

gently caress all of you with your broadbands and editor tools and youtube tutorials (without a good hour to stream ahead of time)

Do PC magazines still put this sort of thing on cover disks?

You don't get to bitch. I'm in a country with 2% internet penetration and the fastest connection here is 1x EV-DO.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aliginge posted:

Just curious but what do the 2D and sprite art professionals in the games industry actually use to produce sprites? Most of photoshop's toolset actually seems counterintuitive to pixel level production, for instance antialiasing when rotating and scaling and the inability to draw straight lines locked at the crucial 26.6 degree isometric angle.

I mean from what i can tell, Paint has the ability to easily draw straighter and cleaner non-aliased lines but you can't overlook photoshop's layer features.

You can actually change photoshop to not anti-alias. A lot of people use pro-motion and programs like that. I've been using photoshop at home and it's a bit of a ballache but manageable.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Use the pencil tool instead of the brush. At least thats how I do it. Also I think if you drop the DPI down from 72 you can get more pixelated results. I still have yet to figure out a way to fix the rotation/scale things besides changing in the Preferences to Nearest Neighbor (still looks like turds though :/)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

We might be looking for junior env artists here in London; looking out for fresh blood. PM me, I will send you on to our Senior who can give you some critique and direction as well if you need it :)

Sock Puppet
May 21, 2001
Nap Ghost

Aliginge posted:

Just curious but what do the 2D and sprite art professionals in the games industry actually use to produce sprites? Most of photoshop's toolset actually seems counterintuitive to pixel level production, for instance antialiasing when rotating and scaling and the inability to draw straight lines locked at the crucial 26.6 degree isometric angle.

I mean from what i can tell, Paint has the ability to easily draw straighter and cleaner non-aliased lines but you can't overlook photoshop's layer features.

Promotion is pretty cool for sprite work:

http://cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Fishbus posted:

We might be looking for junior env artists here in London; looking out for fresh blood. PM me, I will send you on to our Senior who can give you some critique and direction as well if you need it :)

Not sure if you are looking for more local talent but hey, might as well try :)

I haven't got PM though. should I just link you my portfolio?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

just post your email and I'll send you the details :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Fishbus posted:

just post your email and I'll send you the details :)

my SA username @gmail.com

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
:siren: shameless plug :siren:

My GDC Online session has been posted. If you're coming to Austin this year, plz2attend. Wear top hats to identify yourselves as game jobs megathreaders. Set those top hats on fire to identify yourselves as awesome game jobs megathreaders.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

typhus posted:

:siren: shameless plug :siren:

My GDC Online session has been posted. If you're coming to Austin this year, plz2attend. Wear top hats to identify yourselves as game jobs megathreaders. Set those top hats on fire to identify yourselves as awesome game jobs megathreaders.

Congratulations. This thread always needs more East Side developers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
As ever I'm making loads of applications, and a job has just come up on a company website for a design role I thought I might go for, but I applied to them a month ago for a production role, should I acknowledge that in the cover letter or something, or not apply at all?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Outplay Entertainment is now looking for interns! If you're a student in Dundee let me know.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

or not apply at all?

This is not the correct answer, ever. You lose nothing by applying and have only potential gains.

If it's a position you were interested in, apply for it. Just so long as you aren't forming a habit in applying every month you'll be fine.

I'm not sure on mentioning your previous application in the cover letter.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Congratulations. This thread always needs more East Side developers.

Thanks! And yes, absolutely.

Side note: Is the Seattle IGDA chapter still barely surviving on life support? With the exception of the summit this month I never hear of anybody going to anything on the eastside. I meet more game developers in Safeway than I did at the last meet-up I crashed back in 2009.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
What?! Sputnik is dying? When did this happen, back in the day they were filling auditoriums.

dogmaan
Sep 13, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Outplay Entertainment is now looking for interns! If you're a student in Dundee let me know.

What positions are available?

my e-mail is [username] (AT) gmail.com

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

typhus posted:

Thanks! And yes, absolutely.

Side note: Is the Seattle IGDA chapter still barely surviving on life support? With the exception of the summit this month I never hear of anybody going to anything on the eastside. I meet more game developers in Safeway than I did at the last meet-up I crashed back in 2009.

There's a regular east-side meetup which I don't attend, and Joe Waters has his West Side monthly that I also don't attend... I think the east side one has been meeting at Wilde Rover in Kirkland, so I really should go.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Odddzy posted:

The quality of what I did wasn't up to my standards but a few people that checked it while they came over to visit told me it was pretty good, it was a pretty challenging piece because I wasn't used to so much optimising but I think the final effect was nice considering there were many things I never did or very briefly touched on that aspect of environment art. I think I may have my chances but I have no idea if i've performed well compared to their standards. I believe you mentioned you knew the company i'm talking about right?

Yeah I do. Good Luck

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Imajus posted:

Yeah I do. Good Luck

Thanks, I'll keep you guys (and girls) posted on what happens.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Not sure if you are looking for more local talent but hey, might as well try :)

I haven't got PM though. should I just link you my portfolio?

Local talent would be preferable as current legislation has made it difficult to get visas. TL;DR crummy government.

I sent you an email, I'll chat to the env lead tomorrow. About the people who have prodded him an email.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Holy cow, it's like Christmas. I went by my local public library and they were having a used book sale, went be the chronically comically-empty "computer" section and found an entire suite of "Learning Maya" books with CD's on sale for between one and three dollars a piece, along with a bunch of other good development books. Eat crap, Charles River Media and your $60+ insanity- I got an entire shelf of books for a $20 bill, with change! :cawg:

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in the Associate Producer application. GetWellGamers, the feedback below highlights why I was unsuccessful:

quote:

It’s difficult to identify areas to improve. You make a pretty strong case for an Associate Production position, given your lack of hands-on development experience. It’s just unfortunate that in our situation we haven’t got a lot of capacity to help someone get up to speed throughout the course of our first project, we need instant wins if I’m honest. We’re talking to candidates who can hit the ground running, and therefore we have to look at these candidates first for the good of PG’s first title.

I would make a couple of points about the interview. In both cases I’d like to think that I saw past these points and looked at your application on merit, but they’re worth mentioning anyway for future interviews:
· You made reference to being a “weak candidate” at interview. This is best avoided – comments like that do tend to stick in the mind of the interviewer as it’s very unusual to hear that.

· On occasion, it wasn’t easy to keep on track due to slightly O/T questions being given in response to interview questions or via interruption. No big deal for me, I like to see someone that craves information and wants to get stuck in, but I know a number of interviewers that would have a problem with this. I understand that you had a lot of nervous energy during the interview, maybe that won’t be the case during other interviews but I thought I’d mention it. It’s worth looking after the interviewer wherever possible

I don't recall referring to myself as a 'weak candidate' at any point (I could be wrong though) but we did discuss the fact that I had no experience compared to other candidates who had quite a lot of experience.

With regards to the second point, every question asked I answered and then that led to a two way discussion about the benefits of that topic, how they had implemented it and threw some suggestions out there on how it could be improved, or alternatives. I can understand, as he states, that other interviewers may not like this approach even though he is someone who likes interviewees who 'crave information'. I was just genuinely interested in it all.

Overall I think the feedback was positive but I clearly have a lot to work on. I enjoyed the experience and I'm thankful to him for giving me the opportunity. Thoroughly nice guy and I hope him and his company do really well!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Andio posted:

...We’re talking to candidates who can hit the ground running...

Man what's the deal with this phrase, I got told the exact same thing for not getting their Design Assistant job.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Super Slash posted:

Man what's the deal with this phrase, I got told the exact same thing for not getting their Design Assistant job.

Bluntly, it means you don't know enough about how to do the job and they don't want to spend time teaching you poo poo you should know.

Companies are willing to give you time to learn their proprietary software, standards, etc. They aren't going to give you time to learn the basics of whatever task you're doing.

For example, when I started here, I was given a week to get up to speed on everything that I needed to know about what I'd be working on. I was making assets by the end of the second day while continuing to read up on the various docs we had in regards to art direction, story, style, design, etc.

If you can't do that, and they instead need to spend 2 weeks teaching you how a SCRUM team works and how to send out outlook meeting invites or whatnot, then you're going to be hearing that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

If you can't do that, and they instead need to spend 2 weeks teaching you how a SCRUM team works and how to send out outlook meeting invites or whatnot, then you're going to be hearing that.

Thank god I have my Outlook portfolio ready.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I've only used outlook for one meeting: Tea at 1500h

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

Sigma-X posted:

Bluntly, it means you don't know enough about how to do the job and they don't want to spend time teaching you poo poo you should know.

Companies are willing to give you time to learn their proprietary software, standards, etc. They aren't going to give you time to learn the basics of whatever task you're doing.

For example, when I started here, I was given a week to get up to speed on everything that I needed to know about what I'd be working on. I was making assets by the end of the second day while continuing to read up on the various docs we had in regards to art direction, story, style, design, etc.

I think it was genuinely a lack of experience in a Developer environment and an exclusive PM role for me. Im pretty confident with SCRUM, PRINCE2, and some aspects of Six Sigma. I don't have a full lifecycle in a studio under my belt though unfortunately. I work in a relatively unique role within a Support department for SCEE.

I think essentially you're right but an AP role is an entry level Production role which surely entails a lot of learning on the job.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

mutata posted:

RIP Black Rock Studios... Disney devs are dropping like flies.

I know this was a few pages back. But it makes me sad to hear this. I remember when Disney picked up the studio I was working at as their first acquisition. I remember when they started Propaganda and playing early builds of Turok they sent over for us to mess with. Then when they acquired The Climax Group (Renamed Black Rock) I spent hours playing Pure after work. And seeing the stuff Junction point was doing was pretty rad.

And now look at those places. If I worked on console games at Disney I'd make sure my portfolio is up to date no matter what they tell you.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Super Slash posted:

I got the exact same phrase in their rejection email too if it's any comfort. :I

Still, getting ready for going down to Leamington again next week for my weeks trial at DNA dynamics :dance:

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Then when they acquired The Climax Group (Renamed Black Rock)
Minor correction - they acquired Climax Racing, not all of Climax's studios. Climax Portsmouth is still going.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

dogmaan posted:

What positions are available?

my e-mail is [username] (AT) gmail.com

Artists, coders and designers.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

So err seems I've got myself a week's trial at Akuma's IOS dev :D
Lookit me all hooking people up and poo poo.

That's great news, man! I'm on my jollies at the moment so I didn't know about it until now. Which company is it with? Dynamics is the parent company, then there's Interactive and Studios (I'm at Studios.)

Either way you're coming to my office so I look forward to meeting you!

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Akuma posted:

Which company is it with? Dynamics is the parent company, then there's Interactive and Studios (I'm at Studios.)

I have - no - idea. :stare:

And no idea what to expect either so no idea what to practice in the meantime. :S

Also goonpile :D

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aliginge posted:

Also goonpile :D
I'd get a doctor to look at that, sounds contagious.

Philosophical a/o business question for the increasing numbers of iOS folks in here. What are you thoughts on premium content pricing? On the one hand, we have indies rushing toward 99c, and then Freemium, and now F2P - but on the other, we have publishers and larger devs happily chilling at $5-$10 price points and making a killing.

Is what we're seeing simply that the budget necessary to compete at $5-$10 is above most indies, so they're forced into the lower bracket? Or do you suppose there's actually a middle tier there that indies could be competing at, if they weren't all blindly making generic puzzle games with limited value or generally rushing after "well that one guy reduced his price and saw increased sales so HOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRGH!"?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 7, 2011

dogmaan
Sep 13, 2007

Artists, coders and designers.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

As for the Dundee scene, what meet ups are there?

I haven't lived in Dundee long and don't really know anyone.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Bert Wednesdays http://blog.bertwednesdays.com/Site/Welcome.html

For pricing, I think you can charge different amounts depending on your game. For example, I know of a 4X space game that I found incomprehensible, but apparently makes the author decent cash because it's pretty much the only decent one on iOS. If you're going to make a match 3 game you need ridiculous polish and / or brand recognition to allow you to sell at that price.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

dogmaan posted:

As for the Dundee scene, what meet ups are there?

I haven't lived in Dundee long and don't really know anyone.

Yeah there is Berts but the turn out isn't really super. I myself have only been to about...three...I think...at a push.

Where are you working? Are you working? Are you a student? If you want to get into the local scene I can point you in the right directions.

dogmaan
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah there is Berts but the turn out isn't really super. I myself have only been to about...three...I think...at a push.

Where are you working? Are you working? Are you a student? If you want to get into the local scene I can point you in the right directions.

I am a student at Dundee College at the moment, studying HND Computing Software Development, then I am off to either Abertay, or Dundee Uni.

I would really appreciate any help you can offer, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Get on twitter. Follow me @NeilCastle and then shoot me a message. From there I shall point you to the figureheads of the local community. Myself included of course.