Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

Cheers from Marv's British Bike Parts, where we're too daft to see the irony in advertising on the 4th of July, and where we still invoice on a 1940s Underwood typewriter.

Nice chopper, dude. Where'd you get it? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a good way to get someone who just bought a new bike but hasn't taken the MSF yet to NOT ride the bike before the class? Trying to convince a friend that he should learn at the class before getting on his brand new Ninja 650R and possibly wrecking the bike or killing himself because he doesn't know the basics, relived my accidents for him and gave him plenty of stories but he won't budge. I'm going to feel guilty if he does crash since my bike is the reason he wants to ride :(

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Take a wheel?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Pull out spark plug(s). Plausible deniability.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
No wheel stand and it's full fairing, 650's are a pain to get to the cylinder head. Guilt boat ahoy!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sepist posted:

No wheel stand and it's full fairing, 650's are a pain to get to the cylinder head. Guilt boat ahoy!

chain and lock through both wheels!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Personally if you were my friend / roommate and you stole my tire / spark plug / chained my bike to the neighbors pinto I'd be pretty loving pissed off even if it was for my own good.

Don't touch the bike. If you really need to play guardian angel, go out with him and teach him before the class.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

JP Money posted:

Don't touch the bike. If you really need to play guardian angel, go out with him and teach him before the class.

I was going to suggest draining the battery but this is a much better answer

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

And for the love of god, go to a very empty parking lot with no curbs.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Whatever you tell him, don't be surprised when he ignores you and rides it anyway.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Tell him to get frame sliders before he goes anywhere, then kick is bike over and say 'because this right here, costs about 1000 bucks, minimum--I mean look, the faring just broke there and you popped an air cleaner on the side and scratched the clutch cover.... so you really want frame sliders. Let's go get them'.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

clutchpuck posted:

Whatever you tell him, don't be surprised when he ignores you and rides it anyway.

And if he lives you get to give him eternal poo poo for wrecking his new bike and being a dumbass.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
:angel: put the fear of god in him :angel:

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I apologize if this has been asked before, but has Suzuki effectively pulled out of the US cruiser market? Their website is still showing 2009 as the newest year for all cruisers aside from the C50T and the M109. I was interested in looking at the updated 2010 M50 but it doesn't look like that model made it over here.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

crazyivan45 posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but has Suzuki effectively pulled out of the US cruiser market? Their website is still showing 2009 as the newest year for all cruisers aside from the C50T and the M109. I was interested in looking at the updated 2010 M50 but it doesn't look like that model made it over here.

Harley quit innovating 50 years ago, why shouldn't suzuki?

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

crazyivan45 posted:

a website I found says Suzuki didn't introduce any new models for 2010 due to the economy. On the US website I think they only list the models that they updated as being new for 2011

Edit: Canadian and US websites are the same

SaucyPants fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 6, 2011

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

JP Money posted:

Harley quit innovating 50 years ago, why shouldn't suzuki?

VL1500's/C90's newer than mine have twin front discs and EFI. :(

spootle
Nov 11, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo $175 before you add "optional" CE armor? Cortech jeans come with armor for $90.

http://www.dragginjeans.net/product/camo%20for%20men%20%28urban%29

US$175 - AU$229? But our dollar is worth more than the US dollar? OK, so I guess shipping to Australia etc is expensive?

dragginjeans.net posted:

Copyright © Draggin Jeans Pty Ltd 2009 - All Rights Reserved - Building 8 / 42 Sabre Drive, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3207

:arghfist:

Permabanned idiot
Jun 13, 2011

by angerbeet

Chris Knight posted:

Danish head bobble.

My third digit finger is quite a bit longer than your dads.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaucyPants posted:

a website I found says Suzuki didn't introduce any new models for 2010 due to the economy. On the US website I think they only list the models that they updated as being new for 2011

Edit: Canadian and US websites are the same

Yeah, they didn't put any new bikes out for 2010, and there were already a couple of bikes that hadn't changed for a bit before that, so they just list the year of the last change on their site. I think only the BIG sellers (GSXR/Hayabusa)got any changes.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Hey, turns out my Indian my not be a huge lemon. I took it to a different shop, they seemed pretty on the ball about S&S engines, and told me the last shop had apparently mistaken the air/fuel mixture screw for the idle screw, had it backed out too far, and had advanced the ignition as far as it would go to compensate.

Rode like a dream on the way home, here's hoping it stays that way.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Armyman25 posted:

mistaken the air/fuel mixture screw for the idle screw, had it backed out too far, and had advanced the ignition as far as it would go to compensate.

I'm pretty sure this is the dumbest thing I've heard, as far as shops are concerned. Holy hell.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

AncientTV posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the dumbest thing I've heard, as far as shops are concerned. Holy hell.

It's just another anecdote that reaffirms me always telling people to "get a second opinion".

On a long car trip my sister's car was giving her trouble at highway speed. She stopped in a city along the way and a "mechanic" told her the transmission was shot and dying. She limped it home rather than leave it there, and when I got to it the first thing I did was check the oil. Bone dry dipstick, add oil to the proper level, motor is fine.

Most repair shops see you as money and not as a person, finding a mechanic you can trust or learning to do the simple work yourself is hard. Otherwise tho, it seems like you're chance of being taken advantage of or just encountering a moron mechanic is huge.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Could be that they don't know the difference between having the pilot screw before or after the throttle. I've done it myself, but on the other hand I don't work on carburettors in any professional capacity.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

nsaP posted:

On a long car trip my sister's car was giving her trouble at highway speed. She stopped in a city along the way and a "mechanic" told her the transmission was shot and dying. She limped it home rather than leave it there, and when I got to it the first thing I did was check the oil. Bone dry dipstick, add oil to the proper level, motor is fine.

Or the guy that told my brother and his friends that they needed a new alternator and battery for $500 after they left the lights on over night. Jump started it, ran it down the interstate for a bit and it was fine.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Couple recalls came out on the dealer network today.

quote:

Kawasaki Motors Corp. is recalling 2009 and 2010 KLX250 motorcycles. The potential number of vehicles affected is 9,460.

Vehicles manufactured during this time could have potential fuel system issues. The company says that the fuel tank may leak from cracks at the spot welds on the side mount tabs. This can be caused from the clearance between the fuel tank and a frame-mounted rubber damper. The result is potential fuel leakage, which may lead to fire or explosion when exposed to a spark or flame.

Dealers are asked to inspect and correct the fuel tank free of charge. For more information, contact Kawasaki at 866-802-9381.
Pretty big fire hazard potential is the word I'm hearing on this one.

quote:

Yamaha Motor Corp. is recalling certain FJR 1300s due to defects in the vehicles’ electrical systems. The potential number of vehicles affected is 9,850.

FJR 1300s manufactured from February 2006 through March 2009 could have potential issues with ground joint connectors. The company says that the ground joint connector of the wire harness can overheat, become deformed, and possibly lead to malfunctioning ignition systems and other electrical components.

Yamaha dealers are being asked to install an additional wire sub-lead or install a new main wire harness free of charge. For more information, call Yamaha at 800-962-7926.
Apparently this one causes the bike to just turn off randomly.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My favorite is the Diavel license plate holder that can fall off, get lodge in the rear wheel and kill you.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Am I being too superstitious? I was going to go motocamping on my KLR this afternoon, but on the ride in to work, it decided to stall out as I pulled up to a light with no warning and wouldn't start back up. It fired right back when I switched to reserve so I guess I was low on fuel, but I'm still taking it as a bad omen and canceling said trip.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

redscare posted:

Am I being too superstitious? I was going to go motocamping on my KLR this afternoon, but on the ride in to work, it decided to stall out as I pulled up to a light with no warning and wouldn't start back up. It fired right back when I switched to reserve so I guess I was low on fuel, but I'm still taking it as a bad omen and canceling said trip.

You are being too superstitious.

If the bike turns off when it runs out of gas, that's a good thing. Now you have a full tank and don't have to worry about gas to get to your motocamping trip.

Flip over to primary and go camping.

Note: if your bike doesn't shut off when it's out of gas, let me know. I know a guy that wants a perpetual-motion machine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Yes, hitting reserve and canceling your trip as a result is too superstitious. :v:

Let's face it, you didn't want to go camping anyways!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yes, hitting reserve and canceling your trip as a result is too superstitious. :v:

Let's face it, you didn't want to go camping anyways!

I used to be a hockey goalie. Superstition is basically in the DNA.

I'll go next weekend. Its not like Sequoia is going anywhere.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

redscare posted:

On the other hand, I am a big proponent of "if something doesn't feel right, don't go riding."

Even if it's nothing, you'll be so distracted by the feeling you might do dumb things.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I too was going to say you're being too silly about it but then

redscare posted:

I used to be a hockey goalie

Keep stopping them pucks. Go out another weekend, and wash your goddamn jock you crazy son of a bitch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

I haven't gone riding for the last month really because of this attitude :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

I haven't gone riding for the last month really because of this attitude :(

Afternoon showers that are a part of living in the south have kept me in the Mustang for half the day. :(
It's no fun riding through a microburst.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Afternoon showers that are a part of living in the south have kept me in the Mustang for half the day. :(
It's no fun riding through a microburst.

what mustang

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

what mustang

..you didn't know I own two? I have the '67 and an '03.

Yes, it's the same picture I always post.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

..you didn't know I own two? I have the '67 and an '03.

Yes, it's the same picture I always post.

Ah, ok. All is still right with the world. I didn't know that you have 2, I don't spend nearly enough time in AI.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Moved to a new place, look at my nice parking spot!

Earlier today I bought furniture and transported it on my bike. Ok it was just rack for shirts (and my floral pattern dresses), but it's still furniture.

Po-po on Beamers harassing cagers.

Also, both my tires are suddenly leaking. Front tire only a bit, .3 bar in a day. Rear tire a lot, something like 1.5 bar in the same time. First gas station I hit after work had a broken filler, didn't notice until I had let out even more air. Rode to next station with 0.8 bar (like 10 psi) in it. Hope it's fixable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check tightness on your valve cores. Also if you haven't had the rubber filler caps changed with your tire changes that can cause slow leaks too.

Living the dream with the white picket fence, eh? Stay safe, Baglbeabs* forever lurks in the shadows.