Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

z16bitsega posted:

I am 100% sure there is no 1x icon on the stock evo 3d/4g.

Huh, guess I was getting new and old phones confused, can't seem to reproduce it, you're probably right. But it definitely displays 4g if there is a 4g connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

falz posted:

My Evo Shift always said 3g. When cyanogen came out for it I noticed it was always at 1x which I thought was a bug with Cyanogen. I installed some app that showed me data about the tower I connect to and it confirmed 1x. Went back to Sense and yep, connected to tower at 1x but Sense said 3g.

I had to go into some wacky settings that required my MSL and change some low level setting to enable 3g. So yes, Sense lies and always says 3g, at least on my Shift.

Do you mean your phone, out of the box, was stuck on 1x for some reason?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I'm roaming in my own house, half an hour from Manhattan. :cmon:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

big mean giraffe posted:

The EVO 3D also only displays 3g regardless of connection. Kind of stupid really.
I can confirm that it does display a 4G instead of a 3G. It looks like a 4G with 3 waves above it instead of a 3G with 2 arrows. The thing that's weird to me is that there are zero 3G settings in the unit, it's just assumed that if you want data, aren't near wifi, and have 4G off, then you're going 3G.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
The EVO 3D and 4G show a 3G icon when you're on 1x (2G) or EVDO (3G)and 4G when using WiMAX. They also show a little triangle when roaming. The only thing it doesn't display correctly is 1x. CM fixes this, at least on the 4G.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

I can confirm that it does display a 4G instead of a 3G. It looks like a 4G with 3 waves above it instead of a 3G with 2 arrows. The thing that's weird to me is that there are zero 3G settings in the unit, it's just assumed that if you want data, aren't near wifi, and have 4G off, then you're going 3G.

Yeah I just meant with regards to 1x.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Huh? That's what the "mobile data" setting is for. Turn it off if you don't want any data.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Are there any more sgs2 rumors going around? I read one that suggested the end of this month for sprint but the source was rather unimpressive.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

Mr. Ali posted:

I am about to buy the EVO 3D from Amazon wireless but I am a bit hesitant since it sounds like through the checkout process you are choosing a new plan and everything. I am picking the same Everything data 450 plus TEP that I currently have but my question is does buying via Amazon wireless get rid of your monthly rate discount (I have a credit union discount applied) or does the discount carry over automatically? I looked at the past 10-20 pages because I could have sworn someone else asked this earlier but could not find an answer.

I asked this question earlier, and for what it's worth, I skipped ordering on Amazon because of something in the FAQ:

Amazon Wireless posted:

If I currently receive a corporate employee discount with my cell phone contract, can I still upgrade it at AmazonWireless?

At this time, we are not able to process cell phone upgrade requests with employee discounts.

We get a discount through an employer, though I'd guess the credit union has a similar set-up.

On another topic, I think there's something wrong with my Evo 3D. I can't see the 3D effect, and neither can any one else I've showed it to. All I've ever seen, no matter what I angle I view it at, is the two images making the 3D composite ghosted over each other.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

For anyone on the fence about getting the 3d: it is the greatest party toy ever, especially when there's weed.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

change my name posted:

For anyone on the fence about getting the 3d: it is the greatest party toy ever, especially when there's weed.

Yeah aside from the phone being spectacular in most other regards, the 3D thing really is pretty fun to dick around with. Like I had mentioned earlier, even dumb boring pictures look interesting. Someone posted a site where people upload 3D shots from various handsets including the 3D -- that was pretty fun as well. Except you have to download each file individually which is a bit of a drag.

Anyone got recommendations for neat youtube 3D videos. The Go Pro one is pretty drat nice.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Yeah the 3d is a gimmick, but it's a fun gimmick.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This is going to seem like an odd question, but here goes. I have a disability that prevents me from being able to use 3D glasses, is the Evo 3D going to be a huge waste of money for me?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Q_res posted:

I have a disability that prevents me from being able to use 3D glasses, is the Evo 3D going to be a huge waste of money for me?
Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I'll assume that attempts to view 3D content results in seizures and poo poo.

Anyways, the Evo 3D is easily the best phone on Sprint, and a significant improvement hardware-wise over the Nexus S 4G. There's a switch to disable 3D, so that shouldn't be an issue. The only downside is that the two 5 MP cameras don't take 2D photos as well as the single 8 MP camera found on the Sensation (which isn't a Sprint phone).

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Q_res posted:

This is going to seem like an odd question, but here goes. I have a disability that prevents me from being able to use 3D glasses, is the Evo 3D going to be a huge waste of money for me?

Lack of ears I'm assuming? Unless you're referring to an inability to see 3D using 3D glasses, and not a literal inability to wear 3D glasses.

In all seriousness, no probably not. Without 3D it's still a $200 phone, and you can literally use the phone for it's entire life and never see or take advantage of the 3D capabilities.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'll assume that attempts to view 3D content results in seizures and poo poo.

No, nothing that serious. I'm legally blind (not actually blind, I can see colors, can't make out distinct shapes) in my right eye, 3D glasses simply don't work for me.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
So you have vision out of only one eye essentially? I just opened a 3d picture on my phone and closed one eye. It's not 3d unless both eyes are open.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Q_res posted:

No, nothing that serious. I'm legally blind (not actually blind, I can see colors, can't make out distinct shapes) in my right eye, 3D glasses simply don't work for me.

In that case, the tech behind the Evo 3D's display won't work either. Everything 2D will work just fine.

It shouldn't be a dealbreaker for you though - as has been mentioned several times in this thread, think of the 3D feature as simply an added bonus to fantastic hardware specs.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, I guess I was pretty much just wondering if it was worth the extra $100 over a 4G if I can't use the 3D and if you pay a price in screen quality for having that nifty 3D feature. And you guys seem to have answered that quite quickly, thanks.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Q_res posted:

Yeah, I guess I was pretty much just wondering if it was worth the extra $100 over a 4G if I can't use the 3D and if you pay a price in screen quality for having that nifty 3D feature. And you guys seem to have answered that quite quickly, thanks.

Yeah, the 3D has a 1.2Ghz Dual core CPU vs. the 4G's 1Ghz single core. It also has 2x the ram and 2x the storage and a higher resolution screen. It's a better phone all around even with out the 3D camera and screen.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Q_res posted:

I have lazy eye in my right eye and it's somewhere around 20/200 last time it was checked. I'm hit or miss with 3D glasses working for me, but the EVO 3D worked for me perfectly. I guess my point is that you should check one out in person and see if it pops for you or not.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

bobula posted:

Do you mean your phone, out of the box, was stuck on 1x for some reason?
Exactly. I wasn't the only one with the issue either. My thread about it on XDA:

* http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1014420

I then found that someone else had found the issue a few months before me:

* http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/13612-stuck-on-cdma-1xrtt

Kinda sucked. Hopefully 3d doesn't have this issue. I suspect there are many many out there with Evo Shift that are stuck on 1x and have no idea.

Edit: that second thread is related to Evo 4g, not Evo Shift. Evo 3d users may want to check this as well to ensure that none of you are getting screwed.

falz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 6, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So what happens if you click the sprint mobile hotspot on the evo 3d?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

TLG James posted:

So what happens if you click the sprint mobile hotspot on the evo 3d?
A hand reaches out of the screen and you get the best handjob ever.

Last I heard, it gives you free tethering like the EVO 4G did when it was released, but since there's been about a billion updates since its launch, that may be fixed now. Normally, it would give you tethering if you pay the $30/mo (I think) fee for the service, otherwise it gives you an error saying that you don't have that on your plan and that's about it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

brc64 posted:

A hand reaches out of the screen and you get the best handjob ever.

Last I heard, it gives you free tethering like the EVO 4G did when it was released, but since there's been about a billion updates since its launch, that may be fixed now. Normally, it would give you tethering if you pay the $30/mo (I think) fee for the service, otherwise it gives you an error saying that you don't have that on your plan and that's about it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

It appears that Sprint has begun to roll out 4g in my city (Madison, WI) unexpectedly. I don't see this on their coverage map or on clear.com. Anyone have a source of more up to date data or possibly their announcements about such things?

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock
Just got the Evo Shift. Jesus, I didn't know linking it with Facebook was going to put all these assholes' numbers into my phone!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

falz posted:

It appears that Sprint has begun to roll out 4g in my city (Madison, WI) unexpectedly. I don't see this on their coverage map or on clear.com. Anyone have a source of more up to date data or possibly their announcements about such things?

Good luck with that man. I haven't been able to get any good info for my area besides, "yeah its planned." Its the one thing that bothers me about the Sprint service, paying the God drat $10 a month fee and not using any 4G because its simply not available. Its ridiculous because I've noticed 4G in some absolute podunk rear end towns, but Orange County still can't get 4G all the way through.

nol3n
Apr 24, 2004

to the rescue

visuvius posted:

Anyone got recommendations for neat youtube 3D videos. The Go Pro one is pretty drat nice.

3D maestro, Jaws 3d, 3d waltz of the flowers...search yt3d

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Can I Phaser You posted:

Just got the Evo Shift. Jesus, I didn't know linking it with Facebook was going to put all these assholes' numbers into my phone!
You should be able to sync data for only people you have in your Google contacts already. In the Facebook app you should have 'Sync with existing contacts' instead of 'Sync all'.

visuvius posted:

Good luck with that man. I haven't been able to get any good info for my area besides, "yeah its planned." Its the one thing that bothers me about the Sprint service, paying the God drat $10 a month fee and not using any 4G because its simply not available. Its ridiculous because I've noticed 4G in some absolute podunk rear end towns, but Orange County still can't get 4G all the way through.

this thread seems to have some info, although I have no idea where it's coming from. At least the list is more up to date than their maps. I'll just think of the $10 as a smartphone fee though since it's applied to non-4g phones as well now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this is redundant or repeating, but Just to clarify a few things:

The Evo and Evo 3D do not show 1xrtt with stock. It will display 3G but be at 1xrtt speeds. It is retarded.

Sprint has been pretty quiet about 4G rollouts recently, although with the money they just invested in clear I wouldn't be surprised if stuff (finally) starts rolling again.

The official Sprint tethering app doesn't work unless you purposefully add the $30 to your plan.

There is an app on the marketplace that force roams, not sure how good it is. It requires root.

change my name posted:

So I'm roaming in my own house, half an hour from Manhattan. :cmon:

Call in to retentions and get your free Airrave.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Already went over this, can't since I'm on a plan through the school. If I put in for one it'd be an extra 10 bucks a month.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Duckman2008 posted:

There is an app on the marketplace that force roams, not sure how good it is. It requires root.
If you're referring to Roam Control, it's overpriced but it works great on the EVO 4G.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry if this is redundant or repeating, but Just to clarify a few things:

The Evo and Evo 3D do not show 1xrtt with stock. It will display 3G but be at 1xrtt speeds. It is retarded.
To re-re-clarify, this is all 3 Evo's (4g, Shift, 3d).

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock

falz posted:

You should be able to sync data for only people you have in your Google contacts already. In the Facebook app you should have 'Sync with existing contacts' instead of 'Sync all'.

Thanks for the help, I did this and it fixed it. I was just freaking out at first that all these random pricks were in my phone.

I have already experienced the somewhat worse Sprint customer service, trying to get my phone activated by some woman in the Philippines with a tenuous grasp of English. But for 30 dollars less per month than my bill with Verizon, I don't really mind! And the Evo is loving amazing.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

falz posted:

I thought I noticed this too this morning on campus, but it was gone too quickly to say for sure. Where did you get service?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 7, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

datajosh posted:

If you're referring to Roam Control, it's overpriced but it works great on the EVO 4G.

Yup. Also, CM7 does it for free on the 4G.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Appachai posted:

Are there any more sgs2 rumors going around? I read one that suggested the end of this month for sprint but the source was rather unimpressive.

You are reading pretty much the latest rumor, and I read the same thing on Engadget last week. I just want the thing to come out before the end of August so I can get it for birthday. What a loving beautiful phone . Only thing that will stop me from getting is if the rumors of the new Samsung looking Nexus 3 turn out to be true. Another beautiful looking phone. I skipped the EVO 3D for this so bring it on.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint has been pretty quiet about 4G rollouts recently, although with the money they just invested in clear I wouldn't be surprised if stuff (finally) starts rolling again.

There are quite a few places that have 4G in development that aren't displayed on the Sprint coverage site. It's a lot more updated on Clearwire's. For example: A small part of Rochester MN, La Crosse WI, and Madison WI are all experiencing 4G. They just aren't up to Sprint's standards yet, though, hence why they are more than likely not displayed on Sprint's site.

Check http://www.clear.com/coverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

I thought I noticed this too this morning on campus, but it was gone too quickly to say for sure. Where did you get service?
West beltline area, near West Towne mall.