Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

iirc, the strings don't stay pokey forever, eventually they soften so the danger of that is pretty much eliminated. :) I do sympathize to any dudes that have suffered string pokes though, ouch.

Yeah, due to the anatomy involved for me and my guy, them softening never solved the problem. Admittedly I personally know people who've never encountered the string, but what can I say, I have a pretty forward-sitting cervix.

NaturalLow posted:

Also if you leave the strings long enough they often curl back around the cervix and aren't "pokey" anymore. So trimming them super short might not be the best solution.

Sorry if I was confusing. I meant if you bitch enough they will cut the strings so nothing pokes out of the cervix. This is only as a last ditch attempt if your sex life sucks because Mirena is always poking dickheads at the worst possible moment. We just tried the strings at various lengths and it never worked. Unlucky anatomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Ghost
Jul 24, 2007
She smiled and smiled, there was no hint of sadness on her face.
I am a little confused/concerned about my new Nuvaring, and I was hoping you all could tell me what to do. I just got the ring today from Planned Parenthood, and the woman who helped me made it seem as though I should put the ring in today. Since she and I talked about side effects, how to insert it, etc, I stupidly didn't read the directions in the package and just popped the ring in right after my appointment.

It is now about 8 hours later, and I finally got around to reading the directions, and they say that I should start the ring on the first day of my cycle, but I'm actually about a week away from my period. I feel like an idiot, but she really made it seem like I was good to go today, and now I am super confused about what to do. Should I leave it in? Take it out? Will removing it so quickly have any negative effects? Can I store this ring for a week till my period starts, or will that ruin it?

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Little Ghost posted:

I am a little confused/concerned about my new Nuvaring, and I was hoping you all could tell me what to do. I just got the ring today from Planned Parenthood, and the woman who helped me made it seem as though I should put the ring in today. Since she and I talked about side effects, how to insert it, etc, I stupidly didn't read the directions in the package and just popped the ring in right after my appointment.

It is now about 8 hours later, and I finally got around to reading the directions, and they say that I should start the ring on the first day of my cycle, but I'm actually about a week away from my period. I feel like an idiot, but she really made it seem like I was good to go today, and now I am super confused about what to do. Should I leave it in? Take it out? Will removing it so quickly have any negative effects? Can I store this ring for a week till my period starts, or will that ruin it?

Leave it in and use a back-up method for the first week. Don't take it out and try to store it. If anything, all your other rings should go in the fridge til you use them. That's what I was told by my doctor when I was on the ring.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if this belongs in this thread but has anyone seen this? https://novasure.com

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Little Ghost posted:

You can start hormonal birth control at any point in your cycle. It's just that if you start on the first few days of your period, you're protected immediately; otherwise you have to use a backup for seven days. Starting on the first day of your cycle can also help prevent side effects like breakthrough bleeding/spotting, but it won't harm you or anything if you start another time. :)

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

JustinMorgan posted:

I don't know if this belongs in this thread but has anyone seen this? https://novasure.com

It's just endometrial ablation, which is meant to be done after kids or deciding not to have kids as it scars your uterine lining.

Little Ghost
Jul 24, 2007
She smiled and smiled, there was no hint of sadness on her face.
Thank you Bagleworm & CrackerJack! I haven't used hormonal birth control in so long, I was afraid I was doomed to screw it up. I feel much better now :)

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I'm on the patch, been on it for 3 weeks. Today I'm starting my first no-patch week, and I understand I'm supposed to get my period during the no-patch week. When is my period supposed to start? First day of no-patch week? Within the first three days? Does it vary? I'm just wondering at what point I should be worried, if I take the patch off and don't get my period right off the bat.

Die Schafe
Jul 4, 2007
Yup.

Budget Bears posted:

I'm on the patch, been on it for 3 weeks. Today I'm starting my first no-patch week, and I understand I'm supposed to get my period during the no-patch week. When is my period supposed to start? First day of no-patch week? Within the first three days? Does it vary? I'm just wondering at what point I should be worried, if I take the patch off and don't get my period right off the bat.

It totally varies from person to person. Don't worry about it, unless you go like a whole week with no patch and no period. After your first couple months, you'll know when to expect it. But for now, don't panic!

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
There's not really a set day. Some people can predict it down to the hour, some can't. FWIW, mine wouldn't come until like 5 days after I went to placebo week. Your body will get used to it and eventually get itself on a cycle. Don't freak out.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Budget Bears posted:

Mine (for the ring) would take 3 days to come, so it's really variable. Some people take off the patch or the ring and it happens in like 5 hours, some of us start bleeding the day we start the new patch or ring.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Budget Bears posted:

Like everyone said, it varies. Mine usually starts on Tuesday night or Wednesday (after starting the placebo pills on Sunday).

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I have a question about libido, bc pills, and testosterone. After having my copper IUD removed my doctor put me on Lo Loestrin FE (apparently the lowest dose bc pill). I've been on it for 4 months and the only real side effect I've noticed is loss of sex drive. Completely. I reported this to my doctor and he sent me a prescription for testosterone in petrolatum 2%. He said to rub it on the lady parts every day for one week and then 1-3 times per week as needed. He said it's completely safe and will increase my libido. I am worried about the side effects of testosterone so I haven't even filled the prescription yet. Has anyone ever heard of this before or tried it? Any reason not to try it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm no doctor but I've honestly never heard of anything like that prescribed for very common libido issues that come up on hormonal birth control. From my average person point of view, the idea of putting topical testosterone on yourself seems just..not good. What's the name of the stuff he prescribed? There's a regular pharmacygoon who posts in here so maybe he'll know more about it.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I agree, that sounds odd to me. Are there any reasons why you can't swap to a new pill?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

lunarian posted:

I have a question about libido, bc pills, and testosterone. After having my copper IUD removed my doctor put me on Lo Loestrin FE (apparently the lowest dose bc pill). I've been on it for 4 months and the only real side effect I've noticed is loss of sex drive. Completely. I reported this to my doctor and he sent me a prescription for testosterone in petrolatum 2%. He said to rub it on the lady parts every day for one week and then 1-3 times per week as needed. He said it's completely safe and will increase my libido. I am worried about the side effects of testosterone so I haven't even filled the prescription yet. Has anyone ever heard of this before or tried it? Any reason not to try it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

On the one hand, testosterone would most likely help your libido since that's part of what it does but on the other I too would worry about side effects. It seems like an odd first choice for something like this.

I had libido problems when I was on a really low dose pill (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo). I was switched to a version with a higher estrogen dose and my sex drive has been normal ever since. I'm not an expert and assuming you don't need to be on a super low dose of estrogen, but I would look into something like that first.

I hate to sound all :tinfoil: but I wonder if this doctor is doing some deal with pharmaceutical reps. Testosterone treatments are being pushed hard right now from what I've heard from doctors on the forums and Lo Loestrin is being advertised like crazy too.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Hey can anyone tell me about using a diaphragm? I'd love to hear from girls with a low-sitting cervix and guys who have felt the diaphragm during intercourse. I'm interested in getting one to cover the strings of my Mirena but I'm unsure what size I would need and if the guy would just feel it anyway, it doesn't seem worth it. My cervix is in a really...bangable...spot, that's the only word that seems accurate. Which is why Mirena is currently a problem. And I'm concerned that with the size and anatomy of my vagina, a diaphragm would just chafe against any penises put in there and it would basically be the same as the Mirena strings on their own. So it's not that I need this diaphragm to act as birth control, but just really as a protective lid on my cervix.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 1, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

NaturalLow posted:

On the one hand, testosterone would most likely help your libido since that's part of what it does but on the other I too would worry about side effects. It seems like an odd first choice for something like this.

I had libido problems when I was on a really low dose pill (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo). I was switched to a version with a higher estrogen dose and my sex drive has been normal ever since. I'm not an expert and assuming you don't need to be on a super low dose of estrogen, but I would look into something like that first.

My understanding is that estrogen triggers testosterone production, while progesterone has a negative relationship with testosterone production. So, a low dose or a progestin-only pill has a higher chance of messing with libido because it has more progestin potency than estrogen potency.

I agree that it's weird to be prescribed testosterone, but it also seems like the doctor thought it was a temporary problem (since the prescription was only for a week and then "as needed"). From what I've gathered about other women's experiences with hormonal birth control, things like libido changes are often far from temporary. I, too, would recommend trying a new brand of pill.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
My opinion as a pharmacygoon (thanks Kerfuffle!) is that adding testosterone to fix a problem caused by your BC pill (the first one you've tried, at that) is a bad idea. As others have said, libido changes reported with birth control pills aren't usually temporary, so a better long-term solution would be to switch to a pill with a different progestin, probably something with levonorgestrel as the progestin such as Alesse.

Also keep in mind that testosterone therapy hasn't been shown to be effective in female libido disorders and its use is discouraged by the American Endocrine Society because of lack of safety data.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. DRP Solved!- I just wanted to clarify that I was on Aviane (generic Alesse, i believe) for 6 years prior to the Lo Loestrin. I went off the Aviane to get the copper IUD, but had to have it removed. During that time I realized how a normal person was supposed to feel. I didn't have crazy mood swings several times per day, I felt calmer, and I was actually horny! For the first time ever I actually initiated sex with my boyfriend. Well, after going back on bc pills, this time the Lo Loestrin, I lost the sex drive again. Very similar to the effects of the Aviane. My doc said that more hormones equals more side effects so he is unwilling to try me on any different pills. Since you suggested Alesse and I already have been on that, I am wondering if there is any other pill that may work?

Thanks again everyone for your help. I am definitely not going to do the testosterone just yet, if at all. Hopefully I can find a better pill instead.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Bagleworm posted:

My understanding is that estrogen triggers testosterone production, while progesterone has a negative relationship with testosterone production. So, a low dose or a progestin-only pill has a higher chance of messing with libido because it has more progestin potency than estrogen potency.

I agree that it's weird to be prescribed testosterone, but it also seems like the doctor thought it was a temporary problem (since the prescription was only for a week and then "as needed"). From what I've gathered about other women's experiences with hormonal birth control, things like libido changes are often far from temporary. I, too, would recommend trying a new brand of pill.

This was very helpful! I didn't know any of that information. The doc said I should apply it every week, but it was up to me whether I needed 1, 2, or 3 applications per week. He wrote me like 16 refills so I think he definitely thought this was a long term solution. Definitely will be looking for a new gyno!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

lunarian posted:

My doc said that more hormones equals more side effects so he is unwilling to try me on any different pills.

What? I've never heard that, ever. Different hormone combinations/levels lead to different side effects, not more or less of them. If you've really only been on two pills (three methods), I'd suggest going to a different doctor and asking for pill recommendations. It took me 6 or 7 methods to find one that worked perfectly for me, just to give you an idea.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

lunarian posted:

My doc said that more hormones equals more side effects so he is unwilling to try me on any different pills.
Uh wow your doctor is full of poo poo definitely find a new one. But good luck with new options, I hope you can find something that works for you. Keep us updated, we care. :3:

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
I just need to quote this for irony:

lunarian posted:

My doc said that more hormones equals more side effects

From the doctor who prescribed testosterone for decreased libido caused by your birth control pill. :downs:

I would try a pill with a different progestin than the one found in the Loestrin (norethindrone) or Alesse (levonorgestrel), perhaps something like Cyclen (the progestin is desogestrel). As Reformed Tomboy said, finding the right birth control is more of an art form than straight science, so it can take a few tries to find the one most suited for you.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I feel ridiculously lucky that the first pill I tried was the pill for me. I started Lo-Ovral 28 (or the generic equiv) back in early 2003 and that's been all I've ever needed. It did reduce my sex drive, but honestly, it was a little welcome, because my sex drive was insane before the pill.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Uh wow your doctor is full of poo poo definitely find a new one. But good luck with new options, I hope you can find something that works for you. Keep us updated, we care. :3:

Thanks! I just moved to a new state this past year so trying to find a new doctor has been a pain! I am so glad I asked my question here and got so many thoughtful replies. I will update with *hopefully* good news in the future.

DRP Solved! posted:

I just need to quote this for irony:

From the doctor who prescribed testosterone for decreased libido caused by your birth control pill. :downs:

I would try a pill with a different progestin than the one found in the Loestrin (norethindrone) or Alesse (levonorgestrel), perhaps something like Cyclen (the progestin is desogestrel). As Reformed Tomboy said, finding the right birth control is more of an art form than straight science, so it can take a few tries to find the one most suited for you.

I really appreciate the advice. I'm going to find a new doctor that will work with me on finding the right pill and keep trying until something works. Thank you so much!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Peggy Lee posted:

If you can't ask strangers on the internet about your vag problems, who can you ask? Anyway, I've been on various low-dose monophasic pills for about 10 years, but over the last 6 or so I've had more yeast in there than there should be. (Not an infection, more so the balance being out of wack.) I'm suspecting the BC pills are running me afoul and not, say, diabeetus. Are some methods (non-estrogen?) better than others for keeping my vag at optimal yeast levels?

Does the increased yeast coincide with non-condomized sex? Semen can upset the pH balance in lady bits and cause your levels to become whack. If you're otherwise happy with your birth control, try using condoms or pulling out for a while to see if that makes any difference.

I know you said that it wasn't as bad as a yeast infection but I wanted to share a fun fact with all the ladies in here: you can pass a yeast infection back and forth with a regular sex partner. Meaning, even if you treat yourself, your partner can reinfect you and cause a loop of infections. Easily treatable but sometimes goes unnoticed. It could be that you've got something like this going on, albeit at a lower extreme.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Peggy Lee posted:

If you can't ask strangers on the internet about your vag problems, who can you ask? Anyway, I've been on various low-dose monophasic pills for about 10 years, but over the last 6 or so I've had more yeast in there than there should be. (Not an infection, more so the balance being out of wack.) I'm suspecting the BC pills are running me afoul and not, say, diabeetus. Are some methods (non-estrogen?) better than others for keeping my vag at optimal yeast levels?

What bomb said. Also, the standard questions apply. Are you using anti-bacterial soap (dial, lever 2000, etc)? Do you wear Nylon underwear or nylon pantyhose a lot? Do you wear really tight jeans or pants? There's lots of things that can cause yeast infections, even mild ones, with anti-bacterial soap being the cheif culprit.
I went through a period a couple years back where I pretty much always had a drat yeaast infection, for a couple years. I tried everything. I went to the doctor and the gyno several times. I totally feel your pain here.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I am officially off my pills. I have an appointment with PP Wednesday to get my Implanon. They said no sexytimes until then.

I am both excited and a little bit apprehensive.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, I am officially off my pills. I have an appointment with PP Wednesday to get my Implanon. They said no sexytimes until then.

I am both excited and a little bit apprehensive.

Good choice! Expect your arm to be sore for a bit. I had a touch of the malaise (general icky feeling) the day after getting it put in but was fine after that.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I've decided to start back on the birth control that I stopped taking last month. I already have the NuvaRing, but after a diganosis of endometriosis, the doctor I saw for the surgery prescribed me a progesterone-only BC pill to stop my periods and hopefully delay the endo coming back.
Well, on the 19th of last month (great father's day present, my dad said) I ended up in the ER from some complications I believe were caused by the progesterone-only BC. So I stopped taking it almost immediately and the majority of the symptoms cleared up. I was feeling happier and not having any of the disgusting brown discharge anymore and just feeling better in general. Well, now, for the last week, I've been having really terrible acne, heavy spotting, and low blood sugar episodes that I did NOT experience in the 3 months I was on the pill. I do have low blood sugar, diagnosed by a real live doctor, but the episodes I'd have with extreme nausea, headaches, and dizziness just were not happening while I was on the pill. I've got acne all over both sides of my face and it's especially bad on my chest, shoulders, and back. It looks like I've got chicken pox and was also shot with birdshot. It's making me really self conscious because you can see it even if I have a t-shirt on, and my work uniform pretty much displays it for all to see.
I didn't necessarily stop the pill because my OB/GYN suggested it, but she did say that it might stop the pelvic pain I was having as well as the discharge. I only decided to completely quit taking it after that ER stint on the 19th. So should I visit the doc again (I need to anyway) to start taking it again? Or should I just go ahead and start popping them down?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You should definitely visit your doctor. You need to confirm what the ER visit was all about, and maybe the doctor can help you find a different solution. You're probably okay starting the pill again, but if I were you I'd AT LEAST call the doctor & talk about it in addition to making an appointment.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

fork bomb posted:

Good choice! Expect your arm to be sore for a bit. I had a touch of the malaise (general icky feeling) the day after getting it put in but was fine after that.

Well, I actually just came down with a cold today, so I'll be feeling lovely anyway! :v: Either way, I'm not going to work tomorrow.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
Ugh, I just have to vent. I got an IUD last year in April and I loved it for a while. My periods stopped completely, I had no discomfort, my skin didn't freak out, everything fine. But 6 months into it, I started to get a lot of pain from ovarian cysts, which is something that I had never experienced before getting this BC and I got a lot of painful cramping after sex. My abdomen area was always very tender and sore and it just did not make me look forward to sex.

Now, I'm getting intense cramps that just won't go away and that come and go randomly. I'm not bleeding, there's just some discharge during these occasions, but sometimes they are so painful, I can't sleep. It doesn't feel like anything more than a cramp, though, so it doesn't worry me enough to go to the ER.

Yesterday, I made up my mind and decided to have it removed. I'm going to get married soon, plans for children will definitely change soon in the future, plus, I'd like to see how my body handles not being under the control of hormones. I call the clinic to set up an appointment and the tech is immediately curious as to why I want to have it removed. I tell her that I'm changing my plans in regards to family planning and she flips out on me saying that I KNEW it was a long-term BC when I got it and that the fact that I didn't wear it for as long as it was intended was unfair to another patient who could not use this method because I only carried on with it for one year (this was done in a clinic for low-income/no insurance women). I was surprised by this sort of reaction and tell her about my other issues, in which she then cuts me off and tell me that I shouldn't be having any problems and that the IUD is supposed to improve all of this, so this was clearly not related. She then adds on that I was wasting a $1000 procedure by changing my mind. But, hey, she tells me that it's my personal decision, so whatever, okay?

I'm so pissed off by being guilt-tripped by a receptionist/tech. I sure as hell didn't know I was going to get married a year after getting this or that I would experience this discomfort, poo poo happens. Hell, I'll donate $1000 bucks to the place when I can, the clinic has provided me with a lot of services, but I should not have been made guilty for making a personal choice for my body. It's not like I walked in and stole their birth control. I've been covered by a government-sponsored plan this whole time. :(

tl;dr- Getting IUD removed, lady at clinic gets pissed for me doing so, guilt-trips me on my decision.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Tulip Candy posted:

:words:
Ok, this kind of poo poo REALLY pisses me off. Like, I'm actually angry for you. Go in for your appointment, and when you see that bitch, tell her first of all that it is none of her drat business what you do with your own body. Is it a Mirena IUD, which I believe is progestin/progesterone only? If so, know that I am on the Depo shot for PCOS and anovulation, and I am having THE EXACT SAME ISSUES with it, and it is progestin/progesterone only. Also I have not stopped bleeding since I got it. Like, I have been cramping so much and so hard that I can't even get close to having an orgasm because my uterus is so loving sore.

Tell that bitch that the side effects are too much for you, its none of her business, and if she is so unhappy about it being "wasted" that you would be more than glad to shove it up her twat when you are done with it.

As far as the woman that can't use an iud, there are plenty of other methods available to her and you taking it out isn't going to affect her one way or another, and for that matter it's not your problem, nor any of your business. Is the tech telling other patients about YOUR medical stuff? I would absolutely blow a gasket about that. And you don't need to feel bad about switching your method of b/c because it's government sponsered, people have different reactions and it sounds like you need it removed despite your plans for marriage (grats by the way).

Do NOT feel guilty, you have every right, free birth control or not, to make this kind of decision about your body and your lifestyle. I'd call her a oval office, but she apparently has neither the warmth nor the depth. She also shouldn't be in that line of work if she can't deal with women making decisions about their own bodies.

Also, she has no place to comment on your medical decisions, that's between you and your doctor.

RAAAAAWR EVVIE SMASH! Seriously, that sucks. I would complain to her supervisor or your doctor if I were you. When I went back to the free clinic a couple weeks ago and told them about my issues with the depo shot, there was no problem with hooking me up with something new to use when the shot wears off. You shouldn't be getting grief either. :glomp:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tulip Candy posted:

tl;dr- Getting IUD removed, lady at clinic gets pissed for me doing so, guilt-trips me on my decision.
gently caress her. I'd complain. She has NO RIGHT to say any of what she said because it's none of her business. Also loling at dismissing your symptoms/issues what a terrible person.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
Ugh, Kerfuffle and evelynevvie are totally right, it was none of the tech's goddamn business why you wanted it removed, and it was completely inappropriate for her to speak to you in the way that she did. She has no right at all to even have an opinion on the decisions you make about your own body, never mind telling you what those opinions are.
You should definitely complain, either by calling back, or when you go in for your appointment - if anybody else in that office has an ounce of sense, I'm sure they will also agree that it was way out of line.

Also, I'm sorry your Mirena isn't working out for you - I have one too and would be super disappointed if I had to switch to something else :(

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

evelynevvie posted:

Tell that bitch that the side effects are too much for you, its none of her business, and if she is so unhappy about it being "wasted" that you would be more than glad to shove it up her twat when you are done with it.

That is the perfect comeback. Seriously, tell her to gently caress off if she tries poo poo again, and DEFINITELY tell a supervisor who will listen what happened. Who the gently caress is she??

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
While we're talking about getting IUD's removed, I was wondering how comparable the pain is to getting it inserted. I got the paragard put in 7 or 8 months ago and it was awful. Easily one of the most painful things I've had done and that's REALLY saying something. I want to get it taken out since circumstances have changed and it really isn't worth the downsides anymore (constant spotting, heavy/painful periods, etc). The only reason I haven't gotten it pulled out already is because I'm too chicken.

So IS it as bad to get it taken out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

While we're talking about getting IUD's removed, I was wondering how comparable the pain is to getting it inserted. I got the paragard put in 7 or 8 months ago and it was awful. Easily one of the most painful things I've had done and that's REALLY saying something. I want to get it taken out since circumstances have changed and it really isn't worth the downsides anymore (constant spotting, heavy/painful periods, etc). The only reason I haven't gotten it pulled out already is because I'm too chicken.

So IS it as bad to get it taken out?

My first insertion attempt (which I have written about in the thread before) was awful. My second insertion attempt was a cake walk and didn't hurt at all thanks to some drugs. Getting it removed was not anywhere near as painful as the first insertion attempt, and in fact I was shocked at how easy it was. It wasn't 100% painless, more like a weird tugging feeling. Don't let your fear of removal keep you from getting it out if you want to. It's 1 second of discomfort!

• Locked thread