Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
My Aaron team is in shambles. We don't have any pitching, the hitting really isn't there and I have a ton of bad contracts I have to wait to get off the books. Oh and I'm at my salary cap so there's no hope of improving for at least another season or two. Oh well, guess that's why the last guy abandoned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Anubis posted:

My Aaron team is in shambles. We don't have any pitching, the hitting really isn't there and I have a ton of bad contracts I have to wait to get off the books. Oh and I'm at my salary cap so there's no hope of improving for at least another season or two. Oh well, guess that's why the last guy abandoned it.

you get to change your payroll every year, adjusting your budget items. I'm sure you have a few young guys in the pipeline.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

you get to change your payroll every year, adjusting your budget items. I'm sure you have a few young guys in the pipeline.

I got 2 short relief pitchers that will see the majors and 3 or 4 AAAA hitters that are at least comparable to what I have in the majors right now. Other than that I don't see anyone in my minor leagues that has a realistic shot at anything more than a cup of coffee.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Anubis posted:

I got 2 short relief pitchers that will see the majors and 3 or 4 AAAA hitters that are at least comparable to what I have in the majors right now. Other than that I don't see anyone in my minor leagues that has a realistic shot at anything more than a cup of coffee.

I have a couple guys in AAA that I could trade to you if you're interested. I don't plan on coming back for another season, so I don't really care what happens to this team.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

I have a couple guys in AAA that I could trade to you if you're interested. I don't plan on coming back for another season, so I don't really care what happens to this team.

These are the guys that would start either this year or next on my team.
Carl Dreifort
Omar Megias
Jim Rodgers

I was thinking you might want Buddy Horton (+$3m to help offset that rather large salary) and another major league guy that you could plug in for trying to win this year. Look around my roster, I can't give up any starting pitching but that's only because I'm already very short on that in addition to one of my guys going on the 15 day DL.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Anubis posted:

These are the guys that would start either this year or next on my team.
Carl Dreifort
Omar Megias
Jim Rodgers

I was thinking you might want Buddy Horton (+$3m to help offset that rather large salary) and another major league guy that you could plug in for trying to win this year. Look around my roster, I can't give up any starting pitching but that's only because I'm already very short on that in addition to one of my guys going on the 15 day DL.

Your team is 2-0. You've lied to me.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

Your team is 2-0. You've lied to me.

It's a trend that isn't going to continue. Spring training was abysmal and I only have 4 healthy starters.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I had a HBD injury that took 18 points of range from my formerly all 90+ range/glove/arm SS. What the crap

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Every time I win in BINGO, AV must also lose, and vice versa.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Champs and Chumps: Golden Age 1910-1960. I've been waiting for someone to do this for a while now.
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=441275&TopicsTimeframe=30

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
I'd be more interested in it if it were 1920-1960.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
1910 AL Chumps include Big Ed, Big Train, and Nap

Muahahahahahaha

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What the hell is with your Rule V team in divisional play, jeff?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Thanks for this team Jeff :)

Hopefully I can do some damage in the playoffs.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
This has more junky guys than I'd like, but the bench options on some of these years are just soooooo bad:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

While 1912 Smoky Joe and Walter Johnson would make my pitching rather unstoppable, I can't say no to Jimmie Foxx, Babe Ruth, and Lou Gehrig. The pitching is not so good, and i'm having a lot of trouble finding anymore relivers.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm having trouble finding any more relief pitching. This is what I have so far for 19914 AL champs. Pitching is quite a bit better, but offense is just not as good as 1929 champs.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

Every time I win in BINGO, AV must also lose, and vice versa.

This has held true for every one of our playoff games.

One shall stand, one shall fall.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cecil Celester Cooper of all people is batting .360/.401/.572 and leading the AL in MVP voting 115 games into the RC season. He and Mike Caldwell are singlehandedly keeping my team in WC contention. :psyduck:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15087093&pid=2&pbp=1

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

How on earth did we pull this off, Bob?

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax
So, there's this guy I draft at #1 in Mordecai a few months ago. He's grown up to be such a handsome young man. Here's to years of breaking faces.

Scouted with $14MM

Advance scouting at $18MM

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Whoa, something I didn't realize until this update of two-man band: Joe Cronin does not like to run. I thought setting baserunning to three would mean a couple of stolen bases but not really crazy aggressiveness, but somehow in a league with two catchers, my Cronins have elected to attempt six steals and have a 50% success rate on those.

I think I had something with the high strikeouts + defense idea, but even with the fewest errors and fewest runs allowed, Joe Cronin just wasn't a strong enough offensive choice to back it up.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Power of Pecota posted:

Whoa, something I didn't realize until this update of two-man band: Joe Cronin does not like to run. I thought setting baserunning to three would mean a couple of stolen bases but not really crazy aggressiveness, but somehow in a league with two catchers, my Cronins have elected to attempt six steals and have a 50% success rate on those.

I think I had something with the high strikeouts + defense idea, but even with the fewest errors and fewest runs allowed, Joe Cronin just wasn't a strong enough offensive choice to back it up.

I think Appling would have been OK with better pitching. I should have though it out more and signed up a few hitters into it, I don't think he was a burning choice in anyone's mind and I could have gotten at least serviceable pitching.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In which Sparky pulls Milacki after just 53 pitches

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

CanadianJericholeaf posted:

So, there's this guy I draft at #1 in Mordecai a few months ago. He's grown up to be such a handsome young man. Here's to years of breaking faces.

Dude looks like Paulie Knight

I guess the facegen isn't infinite!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I entered a twist/blacklist league that's been going on for 43 seasons, so people are resorting to teams like the 1986 Pirates and 2004 Royals.

I'm going in with the 1909 Cleveland Naps, '08 Addie and '08 Cy Young are going to tear poo poo up :getin:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Okay now this is just mean

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So here is my rule V Dodgers team. Team completely collapsed near the end, and I narrowly managed to hold on to my wild card spot. Dodger stadium really killed my poor hitters. In the end, it appears the Wes Parker experiment was probably not worth it, either.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

it appears the Wes Parker experiment was probably not worth it, either.

Well, on the positive side he did finish 7th among all SS's in OPS. When you compare that to someone like Larkin, though, who was better both offensively and defensively, it's harder to swallow Parker's cost.

It's still nice to know you can take an elite 1B, move him to SS, and have him be simply bad as opposed to atrocious.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Playoff numbers in the 15 worst league:

Iron Man indeed.

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Dude looks like Paulie Knight

I guess the facegen isn't infinite!
Nope, about 3-4 guys in every draft have that Trevor Cahill lookalike face that Mickey Jensen has.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Suck down some solo dingers EvilBeard! http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=38262878&pbp=0

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
08 Joss wins all 3 of his starts so I can win my series 3-2 and advance to the ALCS. More importantly ligapelota got knocked out in the NL. :toot:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Thank god for George McQuillian. I'm pretty sure this is my scoring record. I now have 3006 total hits!
http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15116441&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax

Anubis posted:

Suck down some solo dingers EvilBeard!
Boy that could be worded better.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, my 15 Worst world series team got put into a ToC with, among other teams, both WS participants of the BINGO league Bob and I were in, and two separate ligapelota teams. That's with 22 more slots to fill.

This is either going to be an early crash and burn or the most amazing ToC run ever. There will be no middle ground.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

This is a really strange skill set

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Poor man's Rickey.

edit: holy poo poo I never knew Rickey hit as much as 28 dingers one season. Rickey's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

This is a really strange skill set

I've noticed that having really good contact doesn't really mean all that much, it's the power that really matters, so i'm not sure what this guy could do. Is he the 2nd coming of Juan Pierre?

• Locked thread