Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Anyone have a good case recommendation for the EVO3D? I don't want to go too expensive if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone have a good case recommendation for the EVO3D? I don't want to go too expensive if possible.

I think the consensus is that the best protection you can buy is the OtterBox, and I know they have two models. The higher-end model makes your phone almost thicker than the Arrive though, so keep that in mind.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I have a symbol at the top right of my phone that appeared the other day, and I don't know where it came from or what it means. It looks something like an ear (either that or a fetus) with sound waves coming out of it. It's to the left of the GPS icon with a slash through it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-S-4G-getting-OTA-update-to-fix-WiMAX-radio-issues_id20144

Looks like the Nexus S 4G will be getting an update to fix wifi and 4G issues. It'll also improve the speaker phone quality, add a 4G settings widget, TTY and NI push support, and enable NFC secure element.

What exactly is NI push support?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Alman posted:

I think the consensus is that the best protection you can buy is the OtterBox, and I know they have two models. The higher-end model makes your phone almost thicker than the Arrive though, so keep that in mind.
Yeah the cheaper OtterBox does the trick for me. Comes with a screen protector to prevent scratches (though it kinda smudges worse than the one I had for my iPhone) and the case is rubbery/thick enough to keep the thing from falling apart if it hits the ground. I think the best feature is that it is thick enough to keep the thing from wobbling when its camera-side is flat against a surface. My only issue now is that it keeps picking up gunk from my pocket lining, but whatever.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I have a symbol at the top right of my phone that appeared the other day, and I don't know where it came from or what it means. It looks something like an ear (either that or a fetus) with sound waves coming out of it. It's to the left of the GPS icon with a slash through it.

Sounds (har har) like the hearing aid compatibility icon, though showing it as disabled which is odd. Go into Settings>Call and see if the box is checked next to Hearing Aids. Is your in-call volume suddenly a lot louder?

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 7, 2011

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

sirbeefalot posted:

Sounds (har har) like the hearing aid compatibility icon, though showing it as disabled which is odd. Go into Settings>Call and see if the box is checked next to Hearing Aids. Is your in-call volume suddenly a lot louder?

I have it on, but even when it's off, the symbol is still there. The GPS symbol is the one with the slash through it, not the ear.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So I have had my EVO about a year and just recently it has randomly started to reboot. It seems to do it if I am using it alot, either browsing full websites instead of the mobile versions or if I am using navigation alot. It also seems like the EVO is pretty hot when it starts rebooting. I have tried to do some research and some people have said HTC has admitted this being a hardware failure, and some people said that they said it wasn't..

Has anyone had this happen, and if so how did you get it fixed?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I have it on, but even when it's off, the symbol is still there. The GPS symbol is the one with the slash through it, not the ear.

The GPS icon shouldn't ever display unless something is actively calling it, and even then it never displays with a slash through it that I'm aware of. What phone do you have?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Another gps thing I discovered: don't forget to exit out of maps/whatever is using it before you put your phone on standbyor it'll die in the middle of the night!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

change my name posted:

Another gps thing I discovered: don't forget to exit out of maps/whatever is using it before you put your phone on standbyor it'll die in the middle of the night!

This isn't true, your phone will shut off the GPS when you lock the phone. I just tested this by locking the phone with maps running, and after waiting a few seconds, when hit the power button it took several seconds for the gps to turn back on.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

The GPS icon shouldn't ever display unless something is actively calling it, and even then it never displays with a slash through it that I'm aware of. What phone do you have?

Evo 3d, and I remember the icons not displaying when I first got the phone, but they started displaying for done reason.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

big mean giraffe posted:

The EVO4G always displayed the GPS icon for me when GPS was enabled. When it wasn't in use, it would have a slash through it. When it was in use, the slash would go away and I think it would blink.

Either way, it was super annoying. I don't need an icon to tell me that GPS is enabled.

Found a picture:
http://cdn.ubergizmo.com/photos/2010/6/evo-4g-review-power-widgets.jpg

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

big mean giraffe posted:

This is not at all the case for the EVO 3D. I'm looking at a GPS icon with a backslash through it now.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Loucks posted:

This is not at all the case for the EVO 3D. I'm looking at a GPS icon with a backslash through it now.

Then turn the GPS radio on. It only uses battery when it's actively being used, so unless you're paranoid about someone tracking your phone, just turn it on.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

Loucks posted:

There are two GPS icons. The little compass-like one that shows if GPS is enabled with either a slash through it or not. And then there is the little satellite with waves coming off it that should only appear when GPS is actively in use.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The compass icon is location services, not GPS. It'll show either way, with a slash through it if location services are disabled. It keeps the icon with the slash because location is always enabled for 911 purposes.

The GPS icon (at least on the E3D is a satellite dish with two flashing "radio waves."

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

I bought one of the clear silicon honeycomb cases from a Sprint kiosk and it's been working well. It's a snug fit and looks cool. I'm normally pretty careful with my phones and I felt the Otterbox was both a) too bulky and b) too expensive. I'm not sure how much drop protection it really gives me, but I know at least that it's got something around it.

I am pretty confident in the glass on the screen of the Evo3D to resist everyday abrasive stuff (as I know its some Corning-Gorilla Glass hybrid or something). As long as you aren't an idiot and carrying your phone with rocks, sand, or keys in your pocket, I really don't know that there's too much to worry about.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How does the 3d look if you have a matte protector on the screen?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I didn't try that, but that's another reason why I opted against going with a screen protector.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

change my name posted:

How does the 3d look if you have a matte protector on the screen?

I have a random Sprint-branded one and have yet to notice it being there. 3D works fine.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

nate fisher posted:

You are reading pretty much the latest rumor, and I read the same thing on Engadget last week. I just want the thing to come out before the end of August so I can get it for birthday. What a loving beautiful phone . Only thing that will stop me from getting is if the rumors of the new Samsung looking Nexus 3 turn out to be true. Another beautiful looking phone. I skipped the EVO 3D for this so bring it on.

Yeah, do you know if it already passed FCC with sprint bands? It should be through by now(I would think) if the 24th is really the release date.

ChangoBat
Mar 5, 2006

Has anyone else been able to get their Evo3D located using the Dashboard feature at https://www.htcsense.com ? I made sure HTC Sense is syncing/synced in the settings.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Can I activate an HTC Hero on my "dumbphone" SERO plan without upgrading the plan?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blakkout posted:

Can I activate an HTC Hero on my "dumbphone" SERO plan without upgrading the plan?
No, needs to be SERO Premium 500 at least, $40/mo.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

fyallm posted:

So I have had my EVO about a year and just recently it has randomly started to reboot. It seems to do it if I am using it alot, either browsing full websites instead of the mobile versions or if I am using navigation alot. It also seems like the EVO is pretty hot when it starts rebooting. I have tried to do some research and some people have said HTC has admitted this being a hardware failure, and some people said that they said it wasn't..

Has anyone had this happen, and if so how did you get it fixed?

I've had mine since release, and mine randomly reboots itself too, has for a few months. At first I thought it was a ROM thing, but it does it on every ROM, AOSP or Sense based. Never just idling, always if I'm browsing or playing a game or something, sometimes the phone seems hot, others it doesn't. Pretty awesome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

I've had mine since release, and mine randomly reboots itself too, has for a few months. At first I thought it was a ROM thing, but it does it on every ROM, AOSP or Sense based. Never just idling, always if I'm browsing or playing a game or something, sometimes the phone seems hot, others it doesn't. Pretty awesome.

If the phone gets hot flip open the kick stand. Not a great solution but its something.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

It's finally time for my fiance and I to upgrade our phones and I'll probably end up with a Evo3d (from a Hero) and she seems to like the original Evo. We both plan to get cases for our phones, and while it might seem like overkill I also like to put full body protective skins on our phones too (we work in a pretty physical field where our phones should be well protected). I'm leaning towards the highest level Otterbox for the 3D, and I'll have to see what she wants to get but my question is if there is anyone here who has a full body skin on their 3D or original Evo and also has it in a case? If so, what case?

I ask as I know some cases just won't fit when you add the extra "bulk" of a skin on the phone, and I'd like to be sure that if I put skins on the phones they'll still fit in the case.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
This is odd. My EVO Shift's Gtalk app no longer works and my GMail no longer pushes to phone. Recently got the update to the next version of Android....but no other settings changed. Always on 3G. Anyone else run into this issue or hear about it?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

jerman999 posted:

This is odd. My EVO Shift's Gtalk app no longer works and my GMail no longer pushes to phone. Recently got the update to the next version of Android....but no other settings changed. Always on 3G. Anyone else run into this issue or hear about it?

I assume you've tried re-entering your google account credentials?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The 2.3.3 update for the shift is such a pile of crap. It's noticeably slower, settings randomly revert to defaults, my phone app no longer shows the call history above the number pad, the ringer randomly turns itself on or off, notifications fail to play the alert half the time, and my battery life is reduced by several hours.

And that's not getting into the stupid UI changes. I can long press the home key and bring up recent apps, I don't need a menu taking up a third of my notifications tray. I have a widget to turn antennas on-off, I don't need a new menu tab taking up space on my notifications tray. I really hate having to scroll my notifications tray. :arghfist::spergin:

My gtalk and gmail still work though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

oxbrain posted:

The 2.3.3 update for the shift is such a pile of crap. It's noticeably slower, settings randomly revert to defaults, my phone app no longer shows the call history above the number pad, the ringer randomly turns itself on or off, notifications fail to play the alert half the time, and my battery life is reduced by several hours.

And that's not getting into the stupid UI changes. I can long press the home key and bring up recent apps, I don't need a menu taking up a third of my notifications tray. I have a widget to turn antennas on-off, I don't need a new menu tab taking up space on my notifications tray. I really hate having to scroll my notifications tray. :arghfist::spergin:

My gtalk and gmail still work though.

You people are scaring the hell out of me. I grabbed my wife's Shift yesterday to take a quick video (still haven't gotten around to updating CM7 on my EVO 4G to fix that) and the update prompt had appeared. I declined, but... has anybody had a positive experience with the official Gingerbread updates for the EVO 4G or Shift?

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

brc64 posted:

You people are scaring the hell out of me. I grabbed my wife's Shift yesterday to take a quick video (still haven't gotten around to updating CM7 on my EVO 4G to fix that) and the update prompt had appeared. I declined, but... has anybody had a positive experience with the official Gingerbread updates for the EVO 4G or Shift?

I'm running the 2.3 Mikshift ROM and outside of the LED bug I haven't had any problems.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

brc64 posted:

Gingerbread for EVO 4G is awesome and had a ton of benefits for me. (Now I have an EVO 3D though).

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

FlyingCheese posted:

I intend to get this one when it's back in stock since it seems to be the only one that gets the kickstand flipping out in the direction that doesn't obstruct the USB port. For now I'm just using the bodyglove slide on case. It works well enough.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Nope don't do it. Again, to repeat Sprint gave me a $80 credit for the hassle and "call back next month if you are still having problems," and I suggest you call in. I understand sometimes you get bugs, but its pretty bad and to not be able to go back to 2.2 pisses me off.

Another random note: Nexus S sales have been killed at my store by the 3D. Beyond people just not being interested, I have had 4 exchanges in the past week from the Nexus S to the 3D. Only one had a possible phone defect, the rest were all "well, i don't know, i just don't like the phone." Quite a bummer (although not complete surprise), its going to kill me pushing the Nexus that much.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 8, 2011

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
Hate to repeat myself, but I think there's something wrong with my Evo 3D. I can't see the 3D effect, and neither can any one else I've showed it to. All I've ever seen, no matter what I angle I view it at, is the two images making the 3D composite ghosted over each other - it that what a still image is supposed to look like if the 3D isn't kicking in?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-3d-overclocked-17ghz-sensation-4g-follow-soon

Now I kind of want that dock with the screen and keyboard that motorola phone has, except for the 3d

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Octavian posted:

Hate to repeat myself, but I think there's something wrong with my Evo 3D. I can't see the 3D effect, and neither can any one else I've showed it to. All I've ever seen, no matter what I angle I view it at, is the two images making the 3D composite ghosted over each other - it that what a still image is supposed to look like if the 3D isn't kicking in?

You should definitely notice a "pop" as the parallax barrier kicks in when you switch to a 3D image. If you move the phone around while viewing a 3D image there should be sort of shimmering bands running across the short direction of the screen.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Octavian posted:

Can you go into a Sprint store and see if you can see the 3D effect on the in-store phone? That will tell you if it's your phone or if you just can't see 3D.