Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Soo.... Cobb AP is about the best bang for buck y/n? Should it be done before taking it to a competent tuner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Simkin posted:

Soo.... Cobb AP is about the best bang for buck y/n? Should it be done before taking it to a competent tuner?

Cobb or open source. Depends on what you want. Open source is cheaper overall I think. You might want to call the shop you plan to use and see what they support.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So this article seems to show that an AEM intake can add power and smooth the output curve without costly tuning.

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/impp_1102_2011_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti/index.html

Should I put any faith in this article? Is Subaru going to be pissed about an intake?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
That intake will flow more air than the stock airbox, resulting in the car running dangerously lean (but running leaner means more power, hence their quoted power figures). So no, don't do that on a newer car. Cobb has a map for the AEM intake.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks for that unfortunate but good to know advice. I may just leave it stock for a couple months and get used to it. Mainly I'm just looking forward to the fact that this car has more reliability, more utility, and better performance than my current busted rear end Mazda. Now if I can just decide if the factory boost gauge is worth all that money... Does anyone know if installation requires screws going into the dash? It certainly appears to be the case, but I haven't seen one in person to verify.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
The factory gauge (at least that my friends '04 has) really sucks. Very slow to read and shows in MPa... I really prefer my autometer one.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

blargle posted:

That intake will flow more air than the stock airbox, resulting in the car running dangerously lean (but running leaner means more power, hence their quoted power figures). So no, don't do that on a newer car. Cobb has a map for the AEM intake.

Do you have any logging data that shows this? The MAF/MAP should (unless malfunctioning) prevent that exact situation. Unless of course they've increased the diameter of the tube where the MAF/MAP sits thus skewing it's readings to be artificially low, which would lead to a lean situation.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
The pictures I saw on the import tuner website looked like just the filter and ducting before the MAF. It did say something about a piece of internal equipment that would help ensure laminar flow across the vane of the MAF. It does seem like AFR is the point of that device, but I don't know if other factors limit fuel supply leading to a lean scenario. To me, an over lean scenario in the name of 20 hp is a bad choice.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm not sure an intake on the later cars is even really worth it, the power difference on a cobb stage 1 vs cobb stage 1 AEM map is minimal.

http://www.smyclustermaker.com/

Those clusters are great if you want to add something without doing any permanent damage.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

Amandyke posted:

Do you have any logging data that shows this? The MAF/MAP should (unless malfunctioning) prevent that exact situation. Unless of course they've increased the diameter of the tube where the MAF/MAP sits thus skewing it's readings to be artificially low, which would lead to a lean situation.

I don't have logs or anything, but just from spending a bunch of time on LegacyGT.com since I bought my car I've constantly heard the same anecdote about the Legacy w/r/t intakes.

I'd actually be excited if this wasn't the case because I've really wanted an intake for a while. I could care less about the gains, honestly - I just really dig the sound. One of the first ones I test drove had an aftermarket intake on it and boy was that noise addicting. Once I found out the recommendation was to tune the car for an aftermarket one I figured I'd just wait until I could afford an exhaust and just go stage 2 Cobb.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
As far as gauge pods go, I'm getting the MB pod.

They make them for the 08+ as well: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/MB-Gauge-Pod-52mm-Subaru-WRX-STI-2008-2011

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So this article seems to show that an AEM intake can add power and smooth the output curve without costly tuning.

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/impp_1102_2011_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti/index.html

Should I put any faith in this article? Is Subaru going to be pissed about an intake?
The AEM intake and the AQ Motorsports intakes are the only ones worth putting on a Subaru that I know of. I have the AEM on mine with an off the shelf opensource tune, my AFR is very safe.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I don't have logs or anything, but just from spending a bunch of time on LegacyGT.com since I bought my car I've constantly heard the same anecdote about the Legacy w/r/t intakes.

I'd actually be excited if this wasn't the case because I've really wanted an intake for a while. I could care less about the gains, honestly - I just really dig the sound. One of the first ones I test drove had an aftermarket intake on it and boy was that noise addicting. Once I found out the recommendation was to tune the car for an aftermarket one I figured I'd just wait until I could afford an exhaust and just go stage 2 Cobb.

IIRC the legacy's use a 70mm intake tube. So if you got a wrx/sti one (60mm) you'd have to re-tune as you'd have a smaller tube and thus a skewed MAF/MAP reading. So long as you get the correct part for your car, the MAF/MAP should take care of the rest.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

If there is no real performance gain to be had with an intake, why not just take off the silencer from the stock airbox? I personally put a k&n drop in just to avoid that sound, but hey to each their own.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

VolumeBroadcast posted:

If there is no real performance gain to be had with an intake, why not just take off the silencer from the stock airbox? I personally put a k&n drop in just to avoid that sound, but hey to each their own.

I read about this as well, there's a thread about it on LegacyGT. A whole bunch of (again, anecdotal evidence) posts about gas mileage dropping, weird idle, etc.

It seems ridiculous that removing that could cause the issues some of these guys are saying it does, but after reading about it a little I figured I'd just leave it be. It could be these idiots are just not reconnecting the MAF or something right but oh well.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
It does seem like the MAF would take care of things. Isn't jamal a professional tuner and Subaru modifier? If so, jamal, what does you expirience tell you if you are willing to share?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
intakes DO make power, and it's not from simply altering the AFR. The good intakes are pretty carefully made to mimic the flow through the stock sensor and housing while just providing less restriction. Unfortunately the old Harman blog post isn't up anymore, but it showed about a 17hp gain from just swapping on an AEM intake over stock, without loving up the tune. The injen intake on the other hand, made power but hosed up the airflow readings and caused the car to knock. We did that test, and then started producing our own intakes, so you can see why they are so similar to the AEM parts and even use an AEM filter. On a related note, K&N owns AEM intakes (not electronics), and also makes the Cosworth intakes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VolumeBroadcast posted:

Taking poo poo off before the standard air box / air filter isnt going to change much - EXCEPT if you do what I did on my 04 XT and set up the air coming into the air box as cold. Also, taking air from inside the guard is an exceptionally stupid idea - it's kinda wet under there some of the time!

What I did was remove the standard silencer, use a tube of PVC to turn the intake of the air box around so it was collecting air from under the bonnet again but also, created a cardboard cold air box that drew air from behind the lights and thence avoided hot engine air. This then gave me a better air path to the standard box, made sure the intake had a much colder air intake plus made sure that water wasnt going to ingress - which is one of the functions of the silencer. Very silly to look at but it works and servers as a good template for a real cold air intake.

Difference? Nice intake noise, definatly colder (ie denser) air charge coming in.Will it be shown on a dyno? Doubtful as dynos dont really show the differences in ambient air temp changes. But anything you do to make the air charge colder, that's always better.

Another little trick that helps in this is to set up a bypass of the intake throttle warming water pipes. My theory is simply it may not lead to ultimate power, but keepign it cooler preserves the power you have

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

jamal, which AEM intake did you test? The CAI or the short ram?

Is your AQ intake CARB approved?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
cardboard and PVC. the best CAI solution. I do agree that a CAI is not the best in every situation and then can pull in water more easily. Whenever it rains here I'll get a couple calls where people went through a big puddle and it threw a CEL, and even had one guy rip off the front lip, fender liner, and stall the engine. Pulled plugs, cranked it over, put it all back together, it started up and has been fine ever since...

We tested the AEM CAI vs Injen vs K&N shortram vs stock. Our intake is not carb approved although we're looking into having it done. I had the article back online for a short period of time but we're not in charge of harmanmotive.com anymore so it's gone again. I'll have to ask Dan if I can rehost it myself or something.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 6, 2011

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks for the input. It seems like AEM is a good call for a reasonable price, as long as I'm not going to lean out the motor. Either way, I would think waiting for at least 1000 miles before modifying is a good idea. Gave up on the idea of a stock boost gauge. I like the one that isnt a permanent installation because I doubt I'll have the car forever and maybe I'm wrong, but when I was looking at used as soon as I saw an aftermarket anything (boost gauge included) it was a dealbreaker. I do prefer the steering column location.

Anyone else feel like offering any other random noob advice of any kind (STi related, ok)? That import tuner article also talked about oil blow by that lead to intake manifold/valve and intercooler fouling. Is that really a concern for a stock or Cobb "stage 1" tune?

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 6, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cool, thanks. I'd assume the short ram ones like the SPT or Cobb SF aren't going to have the same improvements as the CAI, so maybe the AEM CAI is the one I'll go with.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
jamal, this may be directly specifically at you, but I'm curious if any GR STi owners are aware of a way to adjust the horizontal alignment of the HID lowbeams. I can find the vertical adjustment, but trying to make my vehicle a little less crossed eyed is difficult at the moment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

cardboard and PVC. the best CAI solution. I do agree that a CAI is not the best in every situation and then can pull in water more easily. Whenever it rains here I'll get a couple calls where people went through a big puddle and it threw a CEL, and even had one guy rip off the front lip, fender liner, and stall the engine. Pulled plugs, cranked it over, put it all back together, it started up and has been fine ever since...

While the cardboard / PVC kludge is very silly, one of things that I think bears repeating for readers (and this isnt for savvy people, this is a technical note for new to this) is that Cold Air Intakes..... are only cold air intakes if they are genuinely pulling in cold air. A lot of what is advertised ISNT a cold air intake, or even intended to drop air intake temperatures, which as we all know in this thread is very important for a turbo car. Sticking it outside of the guard isnt necessary gaining the desired effect and definatly putting the air filter int he engine bay - a very common mistake is basically a waste of time that will offset any intake gains with higher temps and robs performance.

On my kludge (which is undeniably silly) we did it in the evening and while I dont have all the data on me - we had underbonnet temps of 68C, an outside temp of 12C and the difference between the factory intake and the PVC / cardboard of 7 degrees colder in the intake. The cardboard effectively shielded engine temps so we showed basically taking 12c air all the time, while the std intake could pull hot air.

That wont work on a WRX as the air intake IS a cold air intake - it's shielded from warm air pretty well and thence I havent bothered altho I think some gains in temps could be made. Pity, cheap silly hacks that work are cool.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I'm all for diy but a PVC and cardboard intake on a 39k msrp car seems ridiculous.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I'm all for diy but a PVC and cardboard intake on a 39k msrp car seems ridiculous.

(Not having a go at you)

That's a problem with the Subaru community - silly DIY is seen as a WTF, rather than a "Cool!", when in fact DIY hacks make for some of the most awesome ideas and also gives you the opportunity to learn not just how to load someone else's tune, but to actually understand why intake temperatures matter and how to influence them. It's no use buying a 300 dollar intake if you dont know or understand that the 11 hp you "gain" is wiped out when you need it the most by the car dragging hot air through it. Why do dyno time if you dont have the basics understood and right? You see that far too often.

Lets find small things to do that make a difference. Let put on weird bits and see if they work, lets give this whole "Stage" thing the finger and learn how to hack Subarus. The one thing that always impressed me with the DSM / VR4 community was the hacker ethic and the ways people came up with cheap but very effective modifications and above that, were willing to share. There's an aweful lot of "Lets go to a workshop" with Subarus and not enough "I wonder if those brakes would fit.....?"

Pulling apart the car to find what turned out to be the AVCS issue taught me more about Subarus and how they work than a year's worth of NASIOC posts.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Pulling apart the car to find what turned out to be the AVCS issue taught me more about Subarus and how they work than a year's worth of NASIOC posts.

Will these rims fit? How much stretch do I go for? 195 tire width on an 8 inch wide rim?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Haha yeah, I hardly got any of my information at all on what to do from NASIOC, I actually talked to some of the better regarded tuners and then did a bunch of verification on my own. Jamal convinced me that the AEM CAI was a good idea (I verified it with logs), I'd heard too many issues with intakes on WRXes, but I didn't understand why. A lot of the rest of it was logic.

DSM guys are the epitome of "I have no money but will find a way to go faster anyway." They're pretty awesome like that.

I still need to get my Openport replaced and my right strut taken apart. I couldn't defeat the drat thing with hand tools.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Goddammit. My wife is looking at selling our '05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon to help with monthly expenses (since we don't really drive it much since moving to Portland).

Judging from bluebook and Edmunds, it should fetch around $14.5k, but I can't help but think that the rarity of the manual transmission, low miles (71k), and complete set of maintenance records should improve it's real market value. Anyone have a guidance as to what manual LGT wagons are going for nowadays?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Got my Legacy dyno tuned again by PDXTuning (who I highly recommend for OR/WA people) after adding a new fuel pump, 850cc injectors and an FMIC. Prior to this the car was :airquote:stage 2:airquote:.

291/376 on E85, 239/307 on pump

Very happy with the gains, my pump numbers are pretty much where my E85 numbers were before the new upgrades and the E85 numbers now definitely exceeded my expectations. Boost was kept on the low side for the pump tune since that'll be my conservative, fuel-saving mode - so there's probably some power left on the table there. This should keep me happy until my stock turbo goes out (at 55k now.)

Sterndotstern posted:

looking at selling our '05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon

Sent you a PM.

dphi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 7, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

I'd heard too many issues with intakes on WRXes, but I didn't understand why.

Too mnay manufacturers out to get the buck of 95% of modders who dont understand what they are doing - which pretty much goes for all cars. Almost all aftermarket really isnt worth the money outside of a select handful - and even then you need to have an understanding what's going on to get the best out of it, just getting a shipping list isnt going to work.

How many people get a "CAI" that has the air filter under the hood with no air box to protect it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

dphi posted:

:airquote:stage 2:airquote:.
So, honest and somewhat embarrassing question:

What does that even mean? Seen stage 1,2,3. I guess they're supposed to mean something good but I've got no loving clue. :corsair:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

slidebite posted:

What does that even mean? Seen stage 1,2,3. I guess they're supposed to mean something good but I've got no loving clue. :corsair:

Stage 1 is traditionally a reflash on a stock car, stage 2 is reflash with downpipe. Beyond that there is no consistency.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

(Not having a go at you)

That's a problem with the Subaru community - silly DIY is seen as a WTF, rather than a "Cool!", when in fact DIY hacks make for some of the most awesome ideas and also gives you the opportunity to learn not just how to load someone else's tune, but to actually understand why intake temperatures matter and how to influence them. It's no use buying a 300 dollar intake if you dont know or understand that the 11 hp you "gain" is wiped out when you need it the most by the car dragging hot air through it. Why do dyno time if you dont have the basics understood and right? You see that far too often.

Lets find small things to do that make a difference. Let put on weird bits and see if they work, lets give this whole "Stage" thing the finger and learn how to hack Subarus. The one thing that always impressed me with the DSM / VR4 community was the hacker ethic and the ways people came up with cheap but very effective modifications and above that, were willing to share. There's an aweful lot of "Lets go to a workshop" with Subarus and not enough "I wonder if those brakes would fit.....?"

I think thats a good point you are making. I guess for me, I've been doing the DIY thing with shady intakes, questionable problem/performance "solutions," and generally working my car on the cheap for long enough that I'm ready to move on to something more clean. Also, I realize that right now I'm that annoying guy asking 1000000 questions but I do appreciate all the help/discussion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sterndotstern posted:

Goddammit. My wife is looking at selling our '05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon to help with monthly expenses (since we don't really drive it much since moving to Portland).

Judging from bluebook and Edmunds, it should fetch around $14.5k, but I can't help but think that the rarity of the manual transmission, low miles (71k), and complete set of maintenance records should improve it's real market value. Anyone have a guidance as to what manual LGT wagons are going for nowadays?
Take a look around LGT.
My gut tells me, that $14-15k is just about right if in great shape, if you wait for the right buyer. If you want to sell quick though, you're going to take a hit.
I would spam it around on all the subaru boards.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

slidebite posted:

Stage one is just retune, possibly a catback.

Stage 2 is supposed to be uppipe (where applicable) and downpipe/full exhaust.

Stage 2.5/3 etc is undefined, usually involves a turbo upgrade.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

nm posted:

Take a look around LGT.
My gut tells me, that $14-15k is just about right if in great shape, if you wait for the right buyer. If you want to sell quick though, you're going to take a hit.
I would spam it around on all the subaru boards.

yeah, the LGT wagon with manual is the rarest of rare. I wouldn't sell it for under $15.5 honestly, just be patient about it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

It means exactly nothing and should be ignored as it is neither good or useful.

quote:

Also, I realize that right now I'm that annoying guy asking 1000000 questions but I do appreciate all the help/discussion.

How are you going to learn if you dont ask questions? I'd be annoyed if you didnt want to learn.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

But, it does mean something - stage 1 and stage 2 are pretty well defined things at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Sterndotstern posted:

Got any pictures? I live a couple hours away from Portland (Oregon, not Maine) and might be interested in taking it off your hands. Shoot me an e-mail at adam (DOT) jacob (DOT) love (at) gmail (DOT) com