Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck

Jippa posted:

Cheesy in what way? House/trance vocals? Jump up?

both - vocals are especially cheesy of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

With that vacuum, in comes the new wave of generally middle class white kids who weren't cool or clued in enough to get on the bus before it took off. The bandwagon jumpers(of course not all jumpers are bad, but they're the ones who get their tickets from the conductor instead of just bumrushing it like the rest of the losers). D&B started to speed up some more and in doing that it take out a lot of the soul, energy and attitude - possibly because these new kids who made it never had much of those qualities in the first place. And no I don't count making as big a racket as you can energy or attitude. Making every sound massive and 'filthy' and wobbley or whatever is loving lowest common denominator poo poo, it's a piss easy way to get it going without actually needing to put effort into it. It's the microwave meal of the musical world. Sure it's quick but it tastes poo poo and is very unhealthy for you compared to making it up yourself with some nice fresh ingredients. I mean all that's fine I guess but shouldn't there be something more? Shouldn't you be pushing things? Shouldn't you be making an effort? Or at least trying to.

What year/s and artists are you actually referring too here?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

brathering posted:

hey can somebody please post some really cheesy dancefloor dnb?

(not netsky please)

I don't know if I'd call it "cheesy" but here's a re-recording of a live set I did opening for Reid Speed last year. There is a Netsky track at the end, however.

http://soundcloud.com/djhollowpoint/helter-skelter

code:
Friction vs Camo & Krooked f/ Dynamite MC - Stand Up!
Hamilton - Soundboy
Joe Syntax - Fire Engine
Alix Perez - I'm Free
Rusko f/ Amber Coffman - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix)
Shock One - Polygon (Dirtyphonics Remix)
Logistics - Murderation
S.P.Y. - Go With the Flow
Serum & Bladerunner - Who Jah Bless
Drumsound & Bassline Smith - Can You Feel It
Bladerunner - Spartan Law
Survival, DLR, Octane - Transition
Break f/ Die - Slow Down
Bassnectar - Here We Go
Spor - Kingdom
Logistics - Warehouse (IllSkillz Remix)
Cyantific - Ghetto Blaster
Sub Focus - Could This Be Real (D&B Mix)
Bachelors Of Science - Warehouse Dayz
Dirtyphonics - Lottery
DJ Fresh - Starfall
Loadstar - Link to the Past
Spectrasoul - Wedgehead
Logistics - Colour Wheel (Friction & K-Tee VIP)
High Contrast - If We Ever
Utah Jazz - Riddim Track
Mutated Forms - High Sines Low Claps
Major Lazer - Hold The Line (Cyantific & Wilikinson Remix)
Camo & Krooked - History Of The Future
Netsky - Secret Agent
Total Science Feat. MC Conrad - Soul Patrol (Marky & S.P.Y Super Jungle Remix)
Danny Byrd f/ Liquid - Sweet Harmony

chrix fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 24, 2011

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

This tune brings back so many memories of :shroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3T0chlSaU8

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 25, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Jippa posted:

What year/s and artists are you actually referring too here?
Oh man you obviously don't know me well enough. Never ask me that kind of question as it's gonna end in one long, long boring incoherent ride. Clunk, click every trip.

Now anyway, what am I referring to? Well it depends. We can jump in our time machines and go back to post-1994. After 1994 you start to see a lot of the personnel and the energy from the original Jungle scene transfer over to the burgeoning UK garage scene. People like Steve Gurley(Foul Play/Rogue Unit) and Chris Mac(Potential Bad Boy) had, by say 97/98, left Jungle and were strictly on the garage thing(though I know Chris Mac has gone into the D&B thing the past few years). They're all off following the currents and all that.

And that obviously left a vacuum. Like all vacuums it's never filled right away it takes a bit of time for all the factions to form, make some alliances, change some poo poo, have a few wars before the old guards places it filled.

So 98/99, the name Jungle has been pretty much replaced by Drum & Bass and in comes sounds like the Neurofunk stuff (Apologies in advance to Subfries as I know this is his thing). Now that to me became a very middle of the road, 'white' sounding music (Obviously that's not always a terrible thing, there was also a lot of good stuff released then as well. I liked a lot of the Metro stuff, the first half dozen or so Virus releases are good, Konflict/K&RD etc). A lot of the swagger and attitude that I love about Jungle, that I love about garage, that I love about Dubstep, that I love about UK Funky is just gone from a lot of that though - at least to me it is. It's very 'straight-ahead' music. Fast, programmed drumming that makes the tunes sound like it has blinkers like you put on a horse. It just goes from there, over to there and that's it. Taxi music. You get in and it goes, pay the man and get out. It's not a bus where you need to sit beside Smackhead #1 who shows you his rotten leg, but you need to put up without because you need to be somewhere but this traffic jam and the middle age woman standing up, who's shopping bag keeps on smashing into the back of your head is just driving you insane.

This just all gets dragged to extremes when you get stuff like Noisia, Gridlok, Hive and all that Violence records thing, some of the Subtitles thing and the stuff that was influenced by those. As an outsider looking in I heard all that stuff and I still struggle to contain myself. It's not even stupid(which at least is something, I can do stupid), it's just like... it's like the dance music equivalent of the double kick drum. It's 14 year olds in terrible metal bands who's mum has bought them a double kick pedal. It's just soulless, vacuous music made by people who I don't think really understand dance music. Oh great stick a loving one minute long sax solo at the beginning to make it seem like you really know jazz, but then dump it after that and just have one long grinding wobbly buzzsaw thing going after that, stick a few 'sick' drops in there to while you're at it. They understand how to program it all sure, but they don't understand the groove. Sometimes they do learn it later on and make great music, wonderful! Doesn't seem to happen much though.

I mean there's nothing technically wrong with it. Production wise it's not bad, musical wise there's no wrong notes or whatever, but nah, not for me. Even the established, old labels weren't really putting out much good really. RAM stuff from the mid-00s just pales in comparison to their earlier Jungle stuff. There D&B stuff is some of the better sounding stuff out the lot, but for me, put down the later Ram Trilogy stuff and give me some Cool Down instead. Marvelous. There's space to make everything breath, some dynamic range, some swagger, tons of energy. We're cushty.

A lot of Dubstep when it came about was a reaction to that. Not that any of us were D&B fans really. Speak to, or read about a lot of the original Dubstep artists and most of them if they talk about Jungle/D&B they'll talk about Metalheadz @ The Blue Note and that's the end. And that was stopped when? 98? 99? They all followed the stream into garage then.

But it was a reaction to that very full in yer face sound, that lack of depth and space that it had. That thing had got sped up so fast you couldn't work in it. It was like a production line, all you had to do was screw in a screw, but the line is just going whoosh-whoosh-whoosh right past you, so you missed 90% of them and in a classic piece of British Leylandism the end product suffered badly. We wanted space and depth so the music could progress, evolve and become better. Largely that happened which is why the UK Bass scene at the moment is so very strong.

Incidently if you look back at what we were all saying at the time, it was,"we saw how Jungle went wrong. We know what happened! That's not going to happen to us! No one way street for us! Nope, not one bit. We're gonna keep this poo poo locked down and on track" Despite what was said then look what happened. The further out from the centre you get, the longer time goes on after the core ideals were set (and trust me Dubsteps core ideals were as loose as Keshas) the more risk you get for people who just don't get it to come along, long after everyone else has vacated that space that they had tapped out, and just make some plain not really very good music.

Obviously subjectivity blah blah elitism blah blah 'personal opinion' blah blah blah. It generally just goes from my heart straight to my mouth/fingers, by-passing my brain. Feeling. Intuition. A holier than thou attitude. At least it's an attitude.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

brathering posted:

both - vocals are especially cheesy of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CZdlbEcPo

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 25, 2011

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Well it is Friday once again. I know we kinda quit doing the themed Friday 5 thing, but I got about 5 tracks to throw out so here we go.

J-MAJIK & WICKAMAN
These guys' latest release is out now on Metalheadz and I am in love with both of the tracks on it. I've found that my tastes in D&B are starting to grow and change a bit, and I enjoy some of the darker stuff too these days.

"Ritual (ft. Dee Freer)" - J-Majik & Wickaman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qp5i5FQbSE
This track has the same vocalist as their track, "In Pieces", which is set to launch sometime in July. This track is incredibly dark - makes you feel like you're walking alone at night or something.

"Old Headz" - J-Majik & Wickaman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRQjO_5XTM
I fell in love with this track as soon as I had heard it on Bailey's drum and bass show a few weeks back. This track is just as dark as Ritual and I love it.

FRED V & GRAFIX
Now these guys are seriously amazing. Really young too - pretty sure I read Grafix's birthday was last week on Facebook, and he said he was turning 20. Stuff like that really sticks out to me, because it's kind of like if I were to start producing and got popular at my age right now. Both of the tracks on their latest release are very summer-y liquid tracks, just like you might expect after One Of These Days. These guys are really starting to become one of my favorite duos when it comes to liquid - I would pick them over most Hospital artists.

"Long Distance" - Fred V & Grafix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouz5RTivQeg
Long Distance really gets in your head. It's like driving with the top down in the middle of summer, and not caring about anything. This song just screams "freedom" and I love it.

"Room to Breathe" - Fred V & Grafix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1wRJdCa0KM
This track is also very free and lively. The vocal sample goes with it very well too. I just can't get over how amazing these guys are, but they only have releases on small labels so far.

My last track is off the Original Sin & Friends EP that just got released a week or 2 ago.

"Saturday Night Fever" - Taxman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOy4ZdqYf2Y
I am not really a fan of Jump Up but for some reason I really like this track. The samples really give it a fight club sound, and it works pretty well.

Dr. Goonstein fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 25, 2011

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

snip..

This is a pretty sobering thread because I realise all the music I remember now is "classic" (gently caress :emo:) (it will happen to you one day day kids :corsair:).

It's cool that you are writing your memories of the scene in detail, back then but I remember it far differently than you describe.

It wasn't class based what so ever in my opinion (ed rush + optical/trace = middle class??), it was to do with techno.

It was still at the time when people were experimenting with different styles of music at that speed (165 +) it was such an exciting time.

Without getting all misty eyed and :corsair: "back in my day" it was really a golden period to be involved in the UK music scene. These days it's all "ironic 70/80's" guitar music (oh god I should shut up now :corsair:).

Ok I've used the corsair smiley enough, I realise I'm becoming 'that guy'. I'll make a longer post this evening about d&b in the mid -late 90's tonight.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 25, 2011

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Since we're on the topic of more "classic" (old school) drum n bass, here's at track I've been diggin' lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_C-fXTE-50

I suppose it still counts as liquid, but less so than a lot of the stuff I usually post in here. And it feels like it would fit right in at a club in the 90s.

Lots of cool Amen usage, which rules.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

stuff

God I love your posts. Out of curiosity, you speak as an insider from the original dubstep scene; what were you doing back then? Producing? Promoting? DJing? With who etc?

Also, I'm going to post a few of my favourite d&b tracks that are floating about at the moment, and I want you to tell me what (if anything) you don't like about them (seriously, I'm interested). If that's ok!

Synko & Indigo - Reflection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Ni5vfvsx8

Rockwell & Untold - Rekohu Sunrise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRo3XQfSf0Y

J-Majik & Wickaman - Old Headz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKm52Rc2bA

Commix - Justified (Spectrasoul Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nR7lJsy7c

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Jippa posted:

This is a pretty sobering thread because I realise all the music I remember now is "classic" (gently caress :emo:) (it will happen to you one day day kids :corsair:).

It's cool that you are writing your memories of the scene in detail, back then but I remember it far differently than you describe.

It wasn't class based what so ever in my opinion (ed rush + optical/trace = middle class??), it was to do with techno.

Well obviously people like Trace and that were in it from the beginning(Trace's first release was like what? 91?), so I'm not really meaning them in particular. Though I seem to remember someone calling Ed Rush & Optical(I think it was them anyway) more like Rock producers than dance which is kinda telling. But that style, that sound wasn't a street sound. It was a very mature, middle class sound. If you took a lot of the producers making that sound(or whatever the descendant of that is), would half of them ever have even seen a council estate? Worked in a non-retail/office job? I'd have my doubts.

I mean look what the pirates were playing(the best place to find out what's really going on at street level). Barring KoolFM was any top station really doing Jungle/D&B come say 99/2000? Certainly when I started listening to the pirates never once did I hear D&B on any of them(maybe they were on like the Tuesday 4-6am slot or whenever, but let's face it that's a deadzone normally). I remember the reaction I got from some people when Grime first hit, when Garage was still going. Pure snobbery,"Oh you listen to that? Isn't that just wee black boys rapping and stabbing each other?" Then they'd stick on Pendulum and I'd be like,"that's your forward thinking, energetic music? Don't think so". And that was the first Pendulum stuff as well! Or the looks I'd get when listening to Bassline,"What is this Neddy music?" I just couldn't believe it!

Funny you should mention a Techno influence. I've seen a few people mention that, though in truth I've never really seen it. Again like I said, D&B was never my scene, everything I saw and heard it was from outside the bubble looking in. Can you explain some more about it? Also just out of curiosity man, you UK? Or US? One thing I've found out since being here is just the absolute complete difference that 2000miles or whatever makes.

Anae posted:

God I love your posts. Out of curiosity, you speak as an insider from the original dubstep scene; what were you doing back then? Producing? Promoting? DJing? With who etc?

Not so lucky I'm afraid, though me and my friends were (badly) producing stuff then. I speak as someone who loving loved the music and was just lucky enough to be in there ground level. I was there the first Dubstep thing in glasgow. I was there when there was like 7 of us or whatever in some lovely wee cellar, getting kicked out every month and having to find a new venue. I was there when folk used to talk absolute poo poo about Dubstep, how terrible it was and all that. Wouldn't give it the time of day(look how that's changed!). I knew the promotors in the scene here, I knew the folks who came along. I could name every artist and every tune. I remember when you'd get actual artists and label guys posting on Dubstep Forums. I volunteered to clean up empty cans after Dubcamp, hell I went to Dubcamp. I rememeber when that garage sound had almost, almost faded from the scene and me telling Gordon(the promoter and now runs Fortified Audio) "go on play some garage play some Horsepower or El-B it's loving fantastic!"

And I remember when that scene that I really loving loved started to kind of fall apart. Everything we said and crusaded about slowly started to creep back in, but worse! I remember trying to dance when Kode9 was up here. This was maybe late 08/09? We were in the Art School then and the place was packed with tight jeaned studenty types(was I a student then? Sure, but an Art Student dammit! We're better people!) and aggro-y wannabe mosher types. A loving mosh pit started and knocked me out of my dancing vibe. A mosh pit! So that's when I went gently caress it I can't take this no more, and moved on. I was long on the Funky tip by then anyway so it wasn't you know a storm out, that was just the final pat on the back. I was moving with the current. Hardcore continuum and all that. Just like I did when garage was going down, and grime. I still listened to them but they just weren't what I was focused on.

Of course we all know the final straw was when Benny Ill was on after Peverelist(who has never been a favourite of mine). Everyone was up doing their thing when Peverelist was on. Now Benny Ill comes on and half the crowd just split. To me those were the folk who just didn't get it. Don't understand the groove. And this was after Benny's first track was Stone Cold. How the gently caress can you ditch the dancefloor after hearing the first like bar of that track and know it's coming on!? Man I was shocked I tell ya! Some people!

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Of course we all know the final straw was when Benny Ill was on after Peverelist(who has never been a favourite of mine). Everyone was up doing their thing when Peverelist was on. Now Benny Ill comes on and half the crowd just split. To me those were the folk who just didn't get it. Don't understand the groove. And this was after Benny's first track was Stone Cold. How the gently caress can you ditch the dancefloor after hearing the first like bar of that track and know it's coming on!? Man I was shocked I tell ya! Some people!

Not even this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH-1P8N3__0

Also, can you reply to the rest of my post? :)

Edit: gently caress me that Stone Cold track is good. I'm going to have to hunt that down.

Anae fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 25, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Anae posted:

Not even this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH-1P8N3__0

Also, can you reply to the rest of my post? :)

Edit: gently caress me that Stone Cold track is good. I'm going to have to hunt that down.

I mean don't get me wrong none of his tracks (and we're talking his first lot of stuff here) was bad. But I seem to remember they were a bit on that Dub Techno side, which is a sound I never clicked with. Like the Basic Channel stuff. I know Mala and a bunch of them always went on about them but I could never get into it. They were just too well, German I guess haha! A bit too rigid I guess is what I'm looking for? I don't know.

Oh and Stone Cold shouldn't be too hard to find. Noodles(one half of groove chronicles along with El-B) reissued it a few years ago(well like 6-7 now! Time flies).

And oh poo poo son sorry, I just flicked over the last half of your post and thought you were replying to that Friday 5 thing. I'll need to boot up my desktop so I can actually get some speaker action going and listen to those tunes, so I'll just edit the reply to those in here after I do that.

E: Okay so one giant big rear end reply that's not really what you wanted but hey whatever.

Synkro & Indigo

See I know of Synkro as he does the Dubstep stuff. Like this tune, definitely more inspired by that. I was actually listening to it on other videos than what you posted, and definitely more drum work outs in the tune. But it's nice, it's actually tempered the drums a lot. They havn't just went *nice floaty pads and voices* BOOM-TSSK-BOOM-BOOM-TSSK!* you know and completely ruined it like they could've done. Like you have here the drums trying to do that at times but they're like,”No! We're not going to do that! We've got it on a leash”. Everything has got a lot of space, everything is breathing nice, it's not all packed into one tight range aggro-athon. Probably not exactly dancefloor material(or maybe it is in the D&B world nowadays?), but see all the more jumpy-uppy, filthy stuff could learn from this. I don't mean slowing tempos down and making it more relaxing, but it actually intergrates all the different aspects and gives them space to interact with each other. Like I said so many kind of 'Brostep' step tunes(I do hate using that term) and that mid-00s D&B, like the intro can sound nice, and maybe the middle 8 if they keep it similar to the intro, but the rest can sometimes just sound like a completely different song spliced in. At least to me. Completely destroying any kind of flow and spirituality the song could have had. This is an Exit tune isn't it? I do like a lot of stuff coming out on that. As I've said still shocked dBridge was in Bad Company

Rockwell & Untold

Like I said I don't really follow D&B closely much at all, more ducking down every now and then, snatching and things like some kind of ranting, idiotic pelican. Anyway I want to like this tune. I like the kind of tribal drum sounds going on, it's got a nice beat to it, a bit of a swing. Again it's cool to see how much of an influence Dubstep has had on current D&B. But will it not end. It's just going and going and going. Dum-dum-dumdumdum just for like 4 minutes solid. And the occasional ghostly echo or ever so slightly different hit on the woodblock every now and then doesn't change it. I mean I know dance music is supposed to be repetitious, but this is just a wee bit too much. Even the middle doesn't actually change the direction. It seems like it's an after thought almost. Oh poo poo we forgot to add in that bit, er just stick this in it's cool! It would probably be okay as a b-side, but see this is where I have problems when you do this double pack with a single track each side. You expect more of it since you paid more. I didn't like it when Dubstep started doing it either. Stick the stuff on 1 disc. 2 songs a side, half the price, you won't worry if one track isn't so good, sorted.

J Majik & Wickaman

Now as much as I might complain about stuff like this. I actually like this. I actually really like all the old Metalheadz stuff, as well as J Majik's stuff as far back as his work as Dexxtrous. So obviously I'm going to trust him more than an unknown guy. Anyway me being the hypocritical bastard that I am I actually like this. Why? It's not very in your face, which is a good thing in my opinion. It's still got that thing going on that I liked about the old Headz stuff. It has a kind of tide to it. It's fast sure, but it kind of comes at you in waves rather than just attacking you Leatherface style, chainsaw in hand. It's waves that hit on the rocks and sends spray everywhere that just drenches you from all angles but still gives you a chance to recover between hits. What makes me differentiate between the two? Well probably my good looks and taste. Well the latter more than the former. In fact forget the former completely.

Commix/Spectrasoul Remix

You know I actually like this one. I've not listened to the original just in case it is utter shite. But I like it, turned it on, heard the intro, expected some kind of ninja thing and that's pretty much what I got. Maybe I would like it if the kind of cutting Hoovery bits were replaced or cut down a bit, removing that nnnyyyaaaa high buzz thing(trust me that description is even worse sounding irl than in text) and making it more like the pads later on(though I really like it when they do warp and pitch downwards, sounds good), maybe stick in some lovely nice long booming 808 kicks and we'd be having a real ninja party. The only thing I really wish though are those keys in the middle section were used more often through the latter half of the track, just to really keep that wheel spinning. Now I shouldn't really be saying all this because really, my musical skill resembles that of some kind of big, blind dog but whatever. I've spent my life thinking I know how to make tracks better and I'll be damned if I stop now just because of 'lack of knowledge' or 'skill'. Phil Spector ain't got nothing on me(bar murder charges)

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 25, 2011

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I finally got around to checking out the Autonomic podcasts and they are amazing. Unfortunately, their website (https://www.club-autonomic.com)is all but down and not hosting the episodes anymore. I was able to grab a few using iTunes, but most aren't working. Extensive Google searches have turned up dry. Does anyone know a site with archived episodes, or does anyone have the old episodes and would be willing up upload them somewhere?

Really hoping I can hear the rest!

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

dantheman650 posted:

I finally got around to checking out the Autonomic podcasts and they are amazing. Unfortunately, their website (https://www.club-autonomic.com)is all but down and not hosting the episodes anymore. I was able to grab a few using iTunes, but most aren't working. Extensive Google searches have turned up dry. Does anyone know a site with archived episodes, or does anyone have the old episodes and would be willing up upload them somewhere?

Really hoping I can hear the rest!

Check here at the Exit Records site. It's giving you some direct links that seem to work fine. At least the one or two I tried.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

(Apologies in advance to Subfries as I know this is his thing).

I think there is a slight chance you might like the 'Welcome To Violence' album from 2005 or so. And maybe Hive's "Gemini". Also, did you listen to the Commix album from a few years ago?

And I was in the U.K. for NYE 98/99, went to Metalheadz at the Blue Note the first Sunday of January 1999. Last time I ever got to see Kemistry play. Came back from that trip with a record bag full of vinyl, loved the used record shops everywhere.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

I think there is a slight chance you might like the 'Welcome To Violence' album from 2005 or so. And maybe Hive's "Gemini". Also, did you listen to the Commix album from a few years ago?

And I was in the U.K. for NYE 98/99, went to Metalheadz at the Blue Note the first Sunday of January 1999. Last time I ever got to see Kemistry play. Came back from that trip with a record bag full of vinyl, loved the used record shops everywhere.

I've not listened to any of them I'm afraid. Though if you're recommending them then maybe they can't be all bad.

And that's the one good thing about London, just the sheer amount of stores and the stock they carry. Honestly London folk really don't know how good they have it. Everytime I'm down there (though haven't been in a good few years) I come back up loaded with stuff as well.

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck
has this been posted already? big tune by LM1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxQ8nr4CqE

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

brathering posted:

has this been posted already? big tune by LM1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxQ8nr4CqE

I am really digging this tune. Really smooth and free sounding. So many great tunes that have a good summer vibe to them.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Check here at the Exit Records site. It's giving you some direct links that seem to work fine. At least the one or two I tried.

Thank you thank you thank you!

For anyone who hasn't listened, this is dBridge and Instra:Mental's podcast. They do about 15-20 minutes of unmixed influences, then an hour or so in the mix then some more influences at the end. It's insanely varied and well produced and I've had them on repeat nonstop over the last week.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Well it is Friday once again. I know we kinda quit doing the themed Friday 5 thing, but I got about 5 tracks to throw out so here we go.

It's not so much that, as it's more I got tired of being the only one to come up with Themes.

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck

Dr. Goonstein posted:

I am really digging this tune. Really smooth and free sounding. So many great tunes that have a good summer vibe to them.

Speaking of new tunes, I really like this one from Nelver

Nelver - Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfKDoJLjivg

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
then lets do a minimal theme

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
massive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_VWx736qk
Breeze Block & Skyro - Too Late

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

zeldadude posted:

massive

Is that a thing with liquid now?

Or maybe you meant to link this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsAYnOygQb0

hamza
Mar 3, 2007
New thirty-five minute mix from Photek. Quite good in places.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

hamza posted:

New thirty-five minute mix from Photek. Quite good in places.

I see your Photek mix and raise you one Camo & Krooked mix!

http://soundcloud.com/camokrooked/camo-krooked-mix-for-radio-nrk

I know a lot of you seem to dislike Camo & Krooked - be it for their accessibility or their blending of electro and drum and bass. I don't know, I love them.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

I see your Photek mix and raise you one Camo & Krooked mix!

http://soundcloud.com/camokrooked/camo-krooked-mix-for-radio-nrk

I know a lot of you seem to dislike Camo & Krooked - be it for their accessibility or their blending of electro and drum and bass. I don't know, I love them.

I'm down with Camo & Krooked. I'm down with what a lot of you peeps here are down with.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I heard someone say something about a minimal friday five, let's keep this alive...

Bop - Skeptikos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4RuXH4smI0

Got kinda of a glitch thing going on with the drums and wobbly bass, there's a spacey whistle to round things out.

Parhelia - Spaceship Named Andromeda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU7c3O3r5hc

Starts off real ambient, then grows to sort of an uplifting rhythm.

Marcus Intalex - Airborne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQGp19IPQww

Lush ambientness all about here especially that breakdown. Bit heavier than the previous tunes. Probably my favorite Intalex tune, there's also a new album out that I would recommend checking out.

Dissident - I Wish I Was A Hubble Telescope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66cTL-7WJK8

Were gonna go a little deeper. Back to the glitchy percussion, but now with a nice dark rolling bassline. If you like this, the whole complication (Meditation In Dance) is really cool.

FX909 & Caine - Anchorage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToaBdv6OGzw

Fokuz Recorders is easily one of the best labels I follow. Gonna round things out on kinda of a trancey trip.

h4x02
Aug 18, 2004
Pride and Hatred go hand in hand!

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

:words:

I finally managed to read through the whole thread and wanted to thank you for the insight. I understand DNB wasn't really your thing, but your input is very much appreciated and kept me interested in the thread.

I also noticed that at least a couple of guys here dj (Chrix, I am currently listening to your Reid Speed mix, very nice!) and was wondering if anyone might have some essential links about getting into mixing. A buddy of mine recently dropped off his 2 players and mixer at my place and I've been hunched over them ever since and find it absolutely awesome - something I'd love to get better at!

If anyone can provide any hints/tips/links, except the obvious "Just keep on playing and mixing and things will eventually click" I'd be very happy and would love to some day do a mix for you all :)

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

h4x02 posted:

I finally managed to read through the whole thread and wanted to thank you for the insight. I understand DNB wasn't really your thing, but your input is very much appreciated and kept me interested in the thread.

I also noticed that at least a couple of guys here dj (Chrix, I am currently listening to your Reid Speed mix, very nice!) and was wondering if anyone might have some essential links about getting into mixing. A buddy of mine recently dropped off his 2 players and mixer at my place and I've been hunched over them ever since and find it absolutely awesome - something I'd love to get better at!

Glad you like the mix, I do an online radio show every Wednesday night from 9-10pm on https://www.boost.fm and have hosted some of the better ones on my mixcloud.

quote:

If anyone can provide any hints/tips/links, except the obvious "Just keep on playing and mixing and things will eventually click" I'd be very happy and would love to some day do a mix for you all :)

As for tips, I would suggest to really immerse yourself into the tracks you're trying to mix. Despite being a digital DJ, I'm still at my best when I'm playing my original wax records because I played them so much. Start recognizing the structure of the tracks and where you can make transitions. You'll eventually get to the point where you'll have two tracks lined up that will drop at the same time (called a double drop).

If you're looking for youtube tutorials, I'd suggest watching the videos by ellaskins. Sometimes he can be a bit wordy and goofy, but he does have some decent tips.

h4x02
Aug 18, 2004
Pride and Hatred go hand in hand!

chrix posted:

Glad you like the mix, I do an online radio show every Wednesday night from 9-10pm on https://www.boost.fm and have hosted some of the better ones on my mixcloud.

As for tips, I would suggest to really immerse yourself into the tracks you're trying to mix. Despite being a digital DJ, I'm still at my best when I'm playing my original wax records because I played them so much. Start recognizing the structure of the tracks and where you can make transitions. You'll eventually get to the point where you'll have two tracks lined up that will drop at the same time (called a double drop).

If you're looking for youtube tutorials, I'd suggest watching the videos by ellaskins. Sometimes he can be a bit wordy and goofy, but he does have some decent tips.

Funnily enough I just installed the mixcloud app on my phone earlier today, so will definitely check the mixes out.

Gonna look into the videos now.

Thanks a lot mate!

h4x02 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 5, 2011

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

(Yes yes I know Hospital/Med School are rubbish etc.)

Last month Med School signed a new producer, "Lung": http://www.medschoolmusic.com/lung-signs-to-med-school/. Apparently he's been producing since 2008 and recently his track "Relapse" was featured on "New Blood 011". I had a quick listen to Relapse and thought it was pretty bland and boring. I think it is amusing that Lung is producing stuff like this when Noisia, BSE and Calyx are listed as "favourites" on his Med School page: http://www.medschoolmusic.com/artists/lung/.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It's a really nice tune though, as is most of the album. It may have just been a one-off for Med School, which is fair enough, a little diversity never hurt anyone.

(for the record, most of the people that hate Hospital usually like/respect Med School, for all intents and purposes they're two completely different labels)

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I like both Med School and Hospital for what they are. I was very impressed with Bop's release on Med School. It was nothing particularly new but it was a joy to listen to.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

I'm just posting to say I got to see Sinistarr live this past Tuesday (loving RAW) and I will be opening for Odi tonight at my weekly residency. This is such a great week in Indianapolis for Drum & Bass.

When I met Sinistarr, I presented a vinyl copy of Lynx is Playing at my House for him to sign. He told me that this was the first record he's ever been asked to sign, which dropped my jaw to the floor. This dude has toured in every US state and just finished playing Movement (DEMF) this summer in Detroit, so I'm very happy to say I own the very first record signed by Sinistarr.

In case you don't know:

Sinistarr - 734
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_7EAOaotg

Sinistarr - Lynx is Playing at my House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_bUiedtTrw

Sinistarr & Redeyes - Solar 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsxsonXShs8

Sinistarr - Anorak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVau5txm3g0

Sinistarr - Detroit Diesel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrlMv_58JeM

And as for tonight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-pDSCGVhiI

I can't wait!

chrix fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 7, 2011

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
http://soundcloud.com/viperrecordings/geneticbros-everyday

All I have to say is Thank god this comes out the 11th. I am in love with this preview so much. I think it's the 80's keyboard sounds that really get me. Sounds so awesome.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Lately I've been REALLY getting into the chaotic, hard and dark side of DnB, so it'd be awesome if someone could recommmend more artists in the vein of Donny, Counterstrike, Limewax, Current Value, etc.

What do people generally call this subgenre, does it even have a name?

If anyone is wondering, this kind of stuff is what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZRXUaqIqE

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It has a few, ever-increasingly patronising names: darkstep, deathstep, skullstep. I'm not exactly a big fan of it, but I'm sure that if you check out some of these labels you can't really go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Haha wow, I'm amazed that skullstep is really a thing. Oh the hilarious names that electronic music fans come up with :D

Thanks alot for the suggestions!