Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

trampletheweak posted:

I have a Dual CS 606 table....and nothing else. What else do I need to get this working? Amp, speakers etc. The table itself is in good condition, I just don't know what else I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing would be to check if there is a cartridge and stylus, and if the stylus is damaged at all. Assuming that's all good, you need a phono preamp in order to hook it up to any modern receiver (auxiliary in) or computer (line in, you'll need a stereo RCA to 3.5mm Y adpater for this). You'll obviously need speakers to listen, but if you have a stereo or home theater system already, I'm sure you have speakers.

If you want to go the vintage route, you don't need a phono preamp as all the vintage receivers/amps have a phono stage built in. Just check if the back has RCA inputs labeled "phono".

Some new new receivers have phono stages built in now that vinyl is making a bit of a comeback, but they're still pretty uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I've suddenly realized that all of my old vinyl must be worn to hell.

HH, do you clean your records in any way? I've heard some great results revitalizing those old discs with a good wet clean and vacuum dry.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Doc Spratley posted:

HH, do you clean your records in any way? I've heard some great results revitalizing those old discs with a good wet clean and vacuum dry.

I don't really have the facilities to do that. What would I need?

Edit: I've got this carbon fiber brush...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 22, 2011

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't really have the facilities to do that. What would I need?

Edit: I've got this carbon fiber brush...

That brush plus some soap and water is really all you need. Wet the record, being careful not to get any water on the label. Get a little soapy water, dish soap works fine, and dip your record brush in it. Go over each side in a circular motion a few times. Rinse the record, let it dry, and that's all there is to it! There are definitely fancier solutions, and I have no doubt that they produce superior results, but I've had good luck cleaning records this way.

Note that you might also have physical wear on the records. Vinyl is somewhat soft, and if it was played with a very cheap or mis-aligned needle the record surface will have been worn down. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to fix that.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Peacebone posted:

I have an pioneer sx-770 blackface model and i currently have some cheap sony bookshelf speakers plugged into the A channel. My parents just moved and they found a no name subwoofer probably from some 5.1 surround sound dvd box set thing. I was wondering if I could plug the speaker wire into the B channel or would that be a bad idea.

Hard to say without more information. Some subwoofers are set up to take speaker-level inputs and some aren't. If the sub has inputs for bare wire, especially if they are labeled with the word "speaker" in some fashion, it's probably okay, but no guarantees. Is there any information on the sub at all? Can you take a picture of the inputs?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

strtj posted:

That brush plus some soap and water is really all you need. Wet the record, being careful not to get any water on the label. Get a little soapy water, dish soap works fine, and dip your record brush in it. Go over each side in a circular motion a few times. Rinse the record, let it dry, and that's all there is to it! There are definitely fancier solutions, and I have no doubt that they produce superior results, but I've had good luck cleaning records this way.

Note that you might also have physical wear on the records. Vinyl is somewhat soft, and if it was played with a very cheap or mis-aligned needle the record surface will have been worn down. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to fix that.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try it on one of the records with less nostalgic value.
Most of the records I'm having problems with are my dad's, and he used to lug them around and DJ back in like 1970 or so, so that's why I'm assuming it's wear rather than dirt that gives them a quite pronounced distorsion.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I am getting ready to purchase a debut III and a Marantz PM5004 receiver. I figured that I may as well get new speakers too, any suggestions? My budget is a little under $1,000, and this will be mainly to listen to records, but down the line I may also hook it up to a TV/DVD player, but priority one is vinyl.

Thanks for the help.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Fritzler posted:

I am getting ready to purchase a debut III and a Marantz PM5004 receiver. I figured that I may as well get new speakers too, any suggestions? My budget is a little under $1,000, and this will be mainly to listen to records, but down the line I may also hook it up to a TV/DVD player, but priority one is vinyl.

Thanks for the help.

Do you listen to music at low, medium or high volume?

I'm going to go ahead and plug the handmade speakers a friend of mine makes. The Blumenstein Orcas sound incredible and have a very flat response. The only thing is you'd want to pair them with a sub. He has a 30-day return policy.

So full disclosure: I saw an ad for handmade speakers here in Seattle and visited his workshop a number of times because his speakers are awesome and Clark rules. Seriously an awesome guy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hello turntable thread.. I've been really lax about my record collecting and listening in the last 10 years, so I'm looking to get rid of two of my three turntables. Maybe you guys would know how much I should be asking for them.

I've got two SL1200 M3D's, which as I can recall weren't that well received. The have no dust covers and I let them get criminally dusty, but otherwise they haven't been used a lot. The needles are garbage I'm sure and I don't have the original packaging.

Can you help me set a price so I can throw em up on Craigslist?

Thanks

phone pic:

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Snowy posted:

Hello turntable thread.. I've been really lax about my record collecting and listening in the last 10 years, so I'm looking to get rid of two of my three turntables. Maybe you guys would know how much I should be asking for them.

I've got two SL1200 M3D's, which as I can recall weren't that well received. The have no dust covers and I let them get criminally dusty, but otherwise they haven't been used a lot. The needles are garbage I'm sure and I don't have the original packaging.

Can you help me set a price so I can throw em up on Craigslist?

Thanks

phone pic:

Depending on where you live, I think you could ask ~350 for each and get 275-300. I just bought a couple mkIIs for 250 apiece but they were in good but not great condition. Black, though, and with dustcovers.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ghumbs posted:

Do you listen to music at low, medium or high volume?
Hmm, I listen to music at medium or high levels usually. Those speakers looked nice, but I suppose I should have been more clear about what I want, I would like to get floor standing speakers, with no subwoofer required. With that in mind, any more suggestions?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ghumbs posted:

Depending on where you live, I think you could ask ~350 for each and get 275-300. I just bought a couple mkIIs for 250 apiece but they were in good but not great condition. Black, though, and with dustcovers.

Great, that's about what I was expecting. I'm in NYC so I'll try to get at least 300, hopefully there's enough people with cash looking to buy. Thanks!

zdro
Feb 21, 2006
I'm happy I found this thread, vintage audio gear has been a mini-obsession of mine for the past several months.

I'm running with a Pioneer SX-939 receiver and a Technics 1200 turntable.

A few weeks ago I dug up a pair of EPI M-150 speakers that had been sitting in my parents' garage for the last 20 years. The foam was rotting out around the woofers, so I took them to a local guy to get them re-foamed. Just got them back to day and they sound loving AMAZING. These things retailed for $300 for each speaker in 1973; that's about $1500 today with inflation, and I got this work done for $40. My next project will be building new grill covers for these guys.

Dealing with this vintage stuff really gives you an appreciation for how well electronics were made in the 70s. Can you imagine the receivers built today lasting 40 years? I'm nostalgic for an era I wasn't around to experience.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What would be considered a good price to sell a slightly broken AT LP-60 for parts for? The only thing wrong with it is that the skate and tracking pressure are set wrong, and it's a cheapo turntable so I can't directly adjust them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a cheap Pioneer PL-120 record player a while back to fix up and sell for a small profit but now that I've adjusted the PU plate and speed, bought and installed some new leads, a new belt, and a new Audio Technica AT95E pick-up, I don't feel like getting rid of it since it's an auto-return system and I'm a lazy git.

Also, it sounds pretty great. At 20,90 € I think I'm going to order a bunch of those AT95Es.

Now I have a cheap-rear end belt-drive 80's (or is it 70's?) record player with a cheap-rear end cartridge sitting atop my SL-1200 Mk II with a Shure M97Xe. Well, at least I'm getting some use out of the Technics' superior suspension. (Also, I'm beginning to think the M97Xe really isn't a very good match for the Technics tonearm anyway.)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have a PL-120 as well(given to me for free along with 200+ vinyl), haven't had a chance to use it yet but if needed is there sites out there showing what kind of cartridge I can put on this? I am totally new to modifying these things, so if it requires crazy work I'm f'd.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Vintersorg posted:

I have a PL-120 as well(given to me for free along with 200+ vinyl), haven't had a chance to use it yet but if needed is there sites out there showing what kind of cartridge I can put on this? I am totally new to modifying these things, so if it requires crazy work I'm f'd.

BTW, that 0 is actually a D. http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-12d.shtml has the manuals if you need them.

Any "standard mount" cartridge will do. The aforementioned Audio Technica AT95E or Shure M97Xe are about $50 each and good value for money.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah, when I was looking for info on the PL-120, most of the stuff I found was actually about the PL-12D, which pissed me off to no end. Apparently though the PL-120 is just another model (PL-2?) whose name was changed for whatever reason for the European market.

I wouldn't mind owning a PL-12D.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PL-400, gently caress, im mental. I was at work and that number looked vaguely familiar, hehe.

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933
Picked up some Pioneer HPM-500s. I am really enjoying them.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
What are you guys using to store your records? I'm looking for something like this, but it seems pretty expensive for such a simple box.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

durk onion posted:

What are you guys using to store your records? I'm looking for something like this, but it seems pretty expensive for such a simple box.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=expedit

Any of those^^ Personally I use the one that's 2 squares by 4 squares.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
all you really need

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Check out Sleeve City. They have double thickness cardboard LP storage boxes and wooden LP crates. They work pretty well.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I have the 2 box by 4 box Ikea Expedit and 4 peaches style wooden record crates. Only one is actually a Peaches Record crate. The others are just made the same way. The peaches paper on the side of the Peaches crate is in terrible condition, though. Thinking about printing the picture out and gluing them to all of the crates.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Seconding Expedits. They actually changed the moulds for milk crates here so records would no longer fit in them.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
The picture I posted are oversized crates from the container store. They even hold my oversized box sets.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

The Bandit posted:

The picture I posted are oversized crates from the container store. They even hold my oversized box sets.

Eh some people don't want to look like a college dorm forever. I wish we had an Ikea store near us.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
I have one of these: http://www.target.com/Avington-Bookshelf-Dark-Tobacco/dp/B000X1U27M
Records fit on all 4 shelves. You lose a bit of space on the sides due to how the front posts fit though. I put my CD binders in that space since I don't really need to get to the actual discs anyway.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
Thanks guys.

I happened to find this one Amazon and it should work for me. I like the Expedit stuff but I really only need 1 "square" worth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O1FROO/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I bought these at Home Depot for $65, you can buy the individual cubes as well and connect them.

Very strong and sturdy.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debut

Opinions on these?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
They are considered a good choice for a starter turntable. In the same price range, you could also go with the Rega RP1.

Most people hate the cartridge it comes with (emphasizes treble too much I guess) and usually buy a replacement immediately

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rega players used to have a really good reputation. Now they have a reputation of running up to 1% too fast. I have no idea whether this is true or not or just the usual :airquote:audiophile:airquote: backlash against any kit that becomes really popular. Maybe it's the same thing as the HUNTING AND PECKING on an SL-1200 or the belief that the MX97e used to be pretty good but not anymore (because it's made in Mexico :ese:).

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
Inherited a JVC QL-A2 and have since put on a Shure m97xe. I'm really enjoying it, with some slight speed issues.

It had some pretty severe issues at first, so I opened her up and found the potentiometers that affect the speed which are just two little black "screws" on the main circuit board.

I sprayed em with DeOxit, moved em around alot, and everything seemed to be fine and dandy. Now that Ive been listening more, I'm noticing some slight intermittent pitch shifts. They generally last less than a second. I don't notice it with vocals, mainly string instruments.

Do you think this is the dirty pots, or dirty, warped records ? Intuition tells me that a warped record could cause some slight, intermittent shifts.

I'm not certain yet, but it seems to get better after the table has been spinning a little while, which would lead me to think its the pots, but I don't see any corrosion.

Any words of wisdom ?

Also, this may seem like a silly question...

I only have old records. Either my dads, or from a used record store. Pretty much nothing past 1985, so chances are they are all recorded analog.

Does a modern pressing, recorded and mixed through a DAW, share all the same wonderful characteristics that older, all analog recordings have ?

edit:

I played with the pots some more. Turned them lower, problem got worse, turned it slightly up, and it helped. I wish I could just open them up and clean them for real but I'm scared they will break. The problem is alleviated for now, I guess. Still cant get the quartz lock indicator to go green, though.

proton fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 12, 2011

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
I ended up replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on a JVC's DC motor control board. It helped quite a bit with speed stability issues. That and cleaning the bits of old belt off the platter and motor spindle. A bit of grease or oil on the platter bearing/shaft helps too.

Edit: I only did it because I had the caps leftover from various electronic projects. I didn't have a 470uF cap so I used two 220uF caps together for the main filter. The tiny cap on the motor itself was fun to replace.

Edit 2: If I remember right, those were the only caps in the model I worked on. If you have the parts, replace all the caps you can on that one if it's a more complicated model. After 20 or 30 years, they do dry up.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 14, 2011

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot

Paperweight posted:

I ended up replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on a JVC's DC motor control board. It helped quite a bit with speed stability issues. That and cleaning the bits of old belt off the platter and motor spindle. A bit of grease or oil on the platter bearing/shaft helps too.

I was curious about that. I think I'll go ahead and replace the caps. Thanks.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Vintersorg posted:

I bought these at Home Depot for $65, you can buy the individual cubes as well and connect them.

Very strong and sturdy.

How big is that compared to the Expedit's? I'm looking for some record storage for my dorm room that will be big enough to hold my TT/receiver on top.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Very strong and sturdy.

Any idea what they're called? I'm looking for them on Home Depot's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let me see if I can find out, at work right now.

EDIT: All they have is the Martha Stewart stuff online. I cannot locate what I bought. :( Might be store only.

Thom and the Heads posted:

How big is that compared to the Expedit's? I'm looking for some record storage for my dorm room that will be big enough to hold my TT/receiver on top.

I'll measure it today.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 16, 2011