Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Never trust a ref

I'm not sure if you're serious here? To me reffing in high level competitions is an asset for a coach. Keep in mind I'm mostly doing sport judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
Anyone else ever get that pressurized feeling in your ears/head after rolling for a while, like the feeling you get when in a plane as it changes altitudes? It's happened to me a few times and it's a little disconcerting, but it always goes away after maybe ~10 minutes. I don't know if its nothing or if maybe I'm overexerting myself or something.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

showbiz_liz posted:

Ok, so here's me: 23, 5'6", 145 lbs, horrendously out of shape to the point of getting winded walking up a few flights of stairs, hardly ever done any serious physical activity in my life... except for a few times when I've taken fitness classes in school and actually made some minor but satisfying gains. Gains which were immediately lost as soon as the class was over, because I am apparently only motivated by going to classes.

So, it seems like a martial arts class could be pretty great for me. I want to get fit, and my friends who do BJJ say it's awesome for them. HOWEVER, I worry that I am too out of shape to actually begin- like, I would need to increase my base level of fitness to not get laughed out of the class/beaten savagely. This is PROBABLY all in my head, but it would be nice to get some insiders' perspectives on this. If I show up to, say, a beginner's BJJ class, will they turn me away/expect more of me than my body can give?
Pretty much everyone just told you to go, and I'll echo that. I want to address something specific though that I think will make you feel better.

Generally speaking, BJJ classes come in three parts.

First you come in and do a warm-up. This will be the hard part! Every school I have gone to has a really intense warmup, and that's a good thing. Expect to do drills that you have never seen before. Expect a lot of core work. If you want killer abs, you will get them here. Expect some running/crabwalking/bear walking/all sorts of stuff. Show up early and talk to an instructor. Explain you have never done this before but you know a warmup with drills is coming. They will have someone take you aside and cover the drill contents with you. If you cannot complete a drill (when I first started BJJ, I couldn't keep up with the leg lifts) just rest as little as possible, then start up again. No one cares if you stop and rest for a second, but try to get back into it as soon as you feel capable.

Next comes the technique drills. The instructor will demonstrate a technique. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Next you will be assigned a partner or choose a partner. Do so, then you will drill the technique. Your goal here is to focus on executing the move correctly, covering all the little pieces the instructor gave you. Don't fight your partner or actively resist, you are just learning here. If you get lost, your partner may be able to help you, and if they don't know either you can usually flag down an instructor. After you practice for a while, the instructor will call everyone back together and demonstrate another move. This second move will generally be either a variation of the first, or it may be built upon the first, or it may just be from the same position. Then you repeat the drilling. You will do this until the end of class.

The next part is optional. Once the formal class is over, there is free rolling time. Here is where your cardio may factor in. You can simply leave for this part (lots of people do). If you feel good, you may want to roll. If you feel completely drained but want to stick around, you can watch the other people who are rolling to see how it works and possibly learn something. If you find a partner who is interested, you can also continue to drill the moves you learned that day, or learn something else. You can also roll lightly, or just roll for position with no submissions, or try rolling from specific positions. There are lots of options, this period is totally free.

The point I'm making here is that the most strenuous part (rolling) is completely optional. The beauty of grappling is that you can roll on the first day without much danger, but you don't have to. I think if you're completely exhausted, you probably won't get much out of it but frustration. (People will disagree with me about that.) But if you go to classes steadily for a week or two, your body will really kick into high gear. You will absorb the warmup without much trouble, then you'll be able to turn around and use that energy to roll.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Okay, so yesterday I was posting about just going to a class somewhere and do something if you're in shape. I forgot an important caveat to that. Make sure you're willing to put in the work to get into shape! Your instructor/coache/sensei have worked with enough people with enough different body shapes to know exactly how long it should take you showing up X number of days a week to start improving both your technique and physical shape.

I only bring this up because last night there was an instance of my instructor calling out one of the girls in class. She's not in very good shape, she has piss poor technique and has been showing up for a couple of months now. He basically said to her:

"I'm trying to figure out what the deal is? You've been here for a couple of months and I've yet to see you push yourself. You half rear end the warm ups and you do the bare minimum of any technique. You haven't improved hardly at all since you walked through that door and I think it comes back to your unwillingness to push yourself during warm ups. Push yourself harder. Are you a smoker? Never mind, I don't want the answer to that but if you are, quit. It's not working for you. Understand?"

For some perspective it takes a lot of slacking to earn this level of scorn. While a lot of martial arts (especially competitive ones) this talk may happen a bit more regularly. However, with Krav Maga and schools associated with Krav Maga Worldwide the instructors have a high tolerance for slacking in level 1. They wont advance the student or ever put them up for a test, but they also usually wont say this unsolicited as it risks a payment every month. Krav Maga Worldwide on the sign-up side of things has a tendency to be run a bit like a franchise as opposed to a martial arts school. (One of the only real complaints I've had so far).

I don't want to discourage someone who thinks they're out of shape from showing up. It's expected you will be, but it's also expected you will improve. If you don't, you're slacking and you will get called on it.

End of Winkle-Daddy's brief PSA.

E: VVV If they're not lying about the qualifications of their instructors you should be okay. Krav Maga is fairly new outside of Israel so it's not uncommon to see instructors that became instructors in 2004-2006.. The fact that these guys have been instructors for more then ten years now (since 1996) this has the potential to be a good place to train (this is one way to weed out McDojos that set up shop and fly away quickly; the people who do that are usually new instructors in a new location that bring in a lot of students very fast). I would go to the trial class and ensure that the fundamentals are being worked on and drilled hard. If that's at least being done once you get better and start branching out a little bit more you'll at least have a good foundation in a year or two to judge whether or not you need to find a better school. So long as you're drilling fundamentals, it's not wasted time, maybe just not entirely getting what you've paid for.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 6, 2011

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm thinking of doing Krav Maga; there's a club on the way home from work that I've seen:

http://www.londonkravmaga.com/index.php

It says it's part of Krav Maga Global; I take it this isn't the same as Worldwide that I see people post about? Would this be a problem? I know nothing about which organisations are good and which are of the 'McDojo' kind. I'm going to go to their next induction anyway (it's only £25 for 3 hours) but was wondering if anyone had any opinions. I did Wing Chun back at university (only for a year, didn't get that far, but still learnt a fair bit) but am keen to start something new, Krav looks my kind of thing because I'm not bothered about ceremony or anything like that.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

For some perspective it takes a lot of slacking to earn this level of scorn. While a lot of martial arts (especially competitive ones) this talk may happen a bit more regularly. However, with Krav Maga and schools associated with Krav Maga Worldwide the instructors have a high tolerance for slacking in level 1. They wont advance the student or ever put them up for a test, but they also usually wont say this unsolicited as it risks a payment every month. Krav Maga Worldwide on the sign-up side of things has a tendency to be run a bit like a franchise as opposed to a martial arts school. (One of the only real complaints I've had so far).

Yeah, I found this out too. I was up in Dallas for a few days and went to the krav worldwide gym there. It was the week before their belt test and the instructor was "going hard" on them to make them ready for the tests.

A) Their warmup was 10 minutes long and easy. Several of them had to sit down while it was going on.
B) People there couldn't hold the pads for poo poo.
C) They were scared of me when I was going 60%.

I'm 5'9 and 160 pounds.

These people were belt testing to get into the rank I'm currently at.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah, I found this out too. I was up in Dallas for a few days and went to the krav worldwide gym there. It was the week before their belt test and the instructor was "going hard" on them to make them ready for the tests.

A) Their warmup was 10 minutes long and easy. Several of them had to sit down while it was going on.
B) People there couldn't hold the pads for poo poo.
C) They were scared of me when I was going 60%.

I'm 5'9 and 160 pounds.

These people were belt testing to get into the rank I'm currently at.

In my experience those students don't get put up for test. Holy poo poo that's disheartening. :( Perhaps it has to do with a lack of dedicated students and to keep the doors open they have to do something to help the students feel like they're moving on? I can't speak to the atmosphere of the place as I've never been there; but I can't think of a single time our warm ups were only ten minutes or particularly easy.

That being said, a lot of the warm ups are as hard as you want them to be. For example, when we run circles, pretty much everyone busts their rear end to run as fast as they can as hard as they can. The student I referenced above will do a light jog for a few laps, then walk a few. I have a feeling that Krav Maga Worldwide works on a quantity of student versus quality of student type of system. I guess that has the opportunity of increased cash in to keep the doors open, but where I go, there are quite a few level 1's that have never been tested and probably never will. Testing is how our school gets those that are willing to work hard into classes with others who are as well.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Winkle-Daddy posted:

That being said, a lot of the warm ups are as hard as you want them to be. For example, when we run circles, pretty much everyone busts their rear end to run as fast as they can as hard as they can. The student I referenced above will do a light jog for a few laps, then walk a few. I have a feeling that Krav Maga Worldwide works on a quantity of student versus quality of student type of system. I guess that has the opportunity of increased cash in to keep the doors open, but where I go, there are quite a few level 1's that have never been tested and probably never will. Testing is how our school gets those that are willing to work hard into classes with others who are as well.

There are some people who get passed up by virtue of simply being there forever. We call them goobers, just not to their face.

I'm languishing at level 2 because there's not enough people to get a test together for the next belt test, so I've been focusing a lot on fighting other people. I think I may switch to a muay thai/bjj gym if i have to move back to Dallas.

A question for you guys: Do you ever have regular training buddies?

I've had ten get injured on me and drop out--none of which have ever been injured by me. And I just lost another one two weeks ago. Ugh.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
I'm a pretty small guy (5'6", 130lbs), so there aren’t a lot of people my size fighting out of my rather small gym. There is another guy and a girl who are a shade shorter than me, and the three of us take turns every other class holding pads for each other. When it comes to sparring we try and gravitate together, but we never stick with one partner the whole time, since that would lead to us acclimating ourselves to one person's style. Besides, I like to mix it up and fight people with different skill sets and sizes because it prepares me for a wider range of opponents. Plus, while the bigger guys can hit harder, it's fun to be faster than them. :haw:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CaptainScraps posted:

A question for you guys: Do you ever have regular training buddies?

I've had ten get injured on me and drop out--none of which have ever been injured by me. And I just lost another one two weeks ago. Ugh.

I dunno how long you've been training but once you get past a a year or two, you will have people you actually know and could consider a friend.

Low level people come and go so frequently, you really won't get a chance to make friends until you move into the higher ranks.

My old instructor kept track of the stats for people at his school. Only one person in like 200 ever makes it to purple belt, that came out to like one guy ever 2-3 months staying for more than 2 years. However, 75% of purples made it to black at that school, at he said that most people who aren't a BB under him are people who moved and still ended up black belts under someone else.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yes I have regular training partners. We have 3 classes running simultaneously early in the morning, each with 15-45 students so 60-100 total students in the morning. I will train with anyone but if I have a choice, I have a core group of about 10 guys who I prefer to work with. They are mostly about my skill level (some are much better though) and I have been training with them for 3-5+ years. I will roll/spar with anyone but I prefer to drill/do technique with these guys. Since we know each other so well, there is a ton that I don't need to communicate with them. It's nice to have regular training partners especially when your school is as big as mine: well over 1200 students and 15,000 sq ft.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

I dunno how long you've been training but once you get past a a year or two, you will have people you actually know and could consider a friend.

Low level people come and go so frequently, you really won't get a chance to make friends until you move into the higher ranks.

My old instructor kept track of the stats for people at his school. Only one person in like 200 ever makes it to purple belt, that came out to like one guy ever 2-3 months staying for more than 2 years. However, 75% of purples made it to black at that school, at he said that most people who aren't a BB under him are people who moved and still ended up black belts under someone else.

Yeah, I think BJJ/Judo is very polarizing in a way. You'll either love it so much you keep thinking about it all the time and will never quit unless forced to or you'll wonder why people are crazy enough to think being thrown and submitted is in any way shape or form fun.

I've been at my club for may be 4 years I'm not sure anymore and in the advanced class for 2-3 years and the people I'm training with are becoming friends. We're planning some nice group activities for the summer and I will run with one, go for a drink with another one, etc. Like Xguard said, the key is to get to the advanced class where you'll always train with the same group of people for a long period of time. In the begginers class there's too much people coming and going.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

mindtwist posted:

Anyone else ever get that pressurized feeling in your ears/head after rolling for a while, like the feeling you get when in a plane as it changes altitudes? It's happened to me a few times and it's a little disconcerting, but it always goes away after maybe ~10 minutes. I don't know if its nothing or if maybe I'm overexerting myself or something.

Funny thing, Ive been getting the exact same feeling only recently, but in my left ear only... no clue why it happens, hope someone can help us out!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

showbiz_liz posted:

So, it seems like a martial arts class could be pretty great for me. I want to get fit, and my friends who do BJJ say it's awesome for them. HOWEVER, I worry that I am too out of shape to actually begin- like, I would need to increase my base level of fitness to not get laughed out of the class/beaten savagely. This is PROBABLY all in my head, but it would be nice to get some insiders' perspectives on this. If I show up to, say, a beginner's BJJ class, will they turn me away/expect more of me than my body can give?

It's in your head but don't worry about it - you're not alone with your doubts. The #1 most common reason for people not to start a martial art is what you said, it's because they think they have to FIRST get fit and THEN start practicing something. "'Cause I'm so outta shape."

But this is not true, believe me and everyone else here.

The Basic Course of ANY martial art exists solely to get very unfit people fit enough to start practicing it for real later, and give some style specific tools. The beginners class and course exist exactly for people like you! The less fit you are, the more endorphin drunk you will get at first of course, and the first two or three weeks will be testing your limits, but nobody will laugh at you for being in couch potato shape.

Quite the opposite: if someone who is, say, seriously unfit shows up to the beginners class and starts going at it, you'll earn everyone's RESPECT for having the guts to do that! And NOT be one of the guys who imagine they first have to magically get fit by themselves somehow and then show up. I have a poo poo ton of friends who died walking stairs at some point, but when eventually were talked into it (picking a martial art beginners course) or had the mental fortitude to go ahead they've never looked back and I've heard of not a single person who has regrets about going forth with it.

Do it man. You have more than you think in you and especially at first will get more fit faster than you ever imagined.

edit: and I agree with what other people said earlier, every beginners course has a fair share of unfit dudes anyway, if not most of them, and being on the thin side, you'll have much easier of a time than seriously obese folks because you don't have to handle the weight issue at the same time you are trying to get your fitness level up

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 6, 2011

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
You know what the biggest gently caress you right now is? I somehow now have impetigo on my face most likely caused by staph after 4 months since the last time i grappled. gently caress me, after training in martial arts since I was 12, and BJJ for about a year, I finally go ahead and catch it 4 months into my up to 2 year hiatus. Great loving luck. Hopefully the prescription i got will clear it up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fawker posted:

Funny thing, Ive been getting the exact same feeling only recently, but in my left ear only... no clue why it happens, hope someone can help us out!

I think it's your ear drum being air tight enough and somehow your head getting pressurized from the inside. I get it occasionally. I also once had my earwax build up so much that I was going deaf and had to get it all flushed out. But then I had like superman hearing. Totally worth experiencing once.

But yeah, I dunno if there's anything you can do to improve the situation. Are you doing any holding-breath exertions?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Welp, I'm convinced. So what's a good BJJ school in NYC?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I have a Hapkido competition in a few weeks where we have to demonstrate moves in front of judges and basically look more awesome than the team we're up against. I've only been to a handful of Hapkido workouts in the past two years, but somebody needed a partner so I said I'd step in.

So I need to come up with the most ridiculous, WWE-esque techniques possible so I can win this. Any ideas? We'll be mostly doing stuff of of pushes or arm grabs, and anything has to end with a sub of some kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IVpH6XvBZg This is currently on the shortlist.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 7, 2011

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I have a Hapkido competition in a few weeks where we have to demonstrate moves in front of judges and basically look more awesome than the team we're up against. I've only been to a handful of Hapkido workouts in the past two years, but somebody needed a partner so I said I'd step in.

So I need to come up with the most ridiculous, WWE-esque techniques possible so I can win this. Any ideas? We'll be mostly doing stuff of of pushes or arm grabs, and anything has to end with a sub of some kind.

The Boston Crab.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

showbiz_liz posted:

Welp, I'm convinced. So what's a good BJJ school in NYC?
Where in NYC would you be looking?

Major BJJ academies in Manhattan (all very good):

Renzo Gracie Academy (the school at which I train)
https://www.renzogracie.com
head:
Renzo Gracie
other instructors:
John Danaher
Rolles Gracie
Igor Gracie
Gregor Gracie
Leo Leite "Tonico" (the Gracie Barra one not the Alliance guy)
Zed Chierghini
Daniel Gracie
Magno Gama
Rafael "Sapo" Natal
Leo
Kyra Gracie (when she's in residence in NYC)

Alliance NYC
http://alliancebjjnyc.com/
head:
Fabio Clemente
other instructors:
Babs Olusanmokun
Lucas Lepri

Marcelo Garcia JJ NYC Academy
http://www.marcelogarciajj.com/nyc/
head:
Marcelo Garcia
other instructors:
not sure

Vitor Shaolin BJJ NYC
http://bjjnewyorkcity.com/
head: Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro
other instructors:
not sure

Smaller Manhattan schools

Ronin Athletics
http://www.roninathletics.com/
head:
Christian Montes

Clockwork BJJ
http://clockworkbjj.com/
head:
Josh Griffiths

NY Jiu Jitsu
http://www.nyjiujitsu.com/
BJJ instructor:
Aaron Milam

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 7, 2011

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."
Stay safe guys, my first day back at gym. Not allowed any jolting movements, weights or upper body exercises :banjo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6WE_Uanh4s

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9QXH84l-NU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Yuns posted:

Where in NYC would you be looking?

Well, I live in Washington Heights, but I'll probably be moving to Brooklyn in a few months. Cost is more of a factor than location for me actually, although of course I wouldn't want to go someplace cheap and lovely.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Adolfo Castro posted:

Stay safe guys, my first day back at gym. Not allowed any jolting movements, weights or upper body exercises :banjo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6WE_Uanh4s

How does one start those yoga ball exercises? I saw a youtube of Galvao doing some ridiculous poo poo on it and he made it look so easy. So I tried and I just face planted.

Good to see youre getting back into the gym :)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Most major BJJ schools in NYC are quite expensive. Generally more than 200 a month. Places in the outer boroughs are significantly less pricey. I'm a Renzo guy so I mostly know Renzo affiliates in the outer boroughs. But here are some recommendations:

Renzo affiliates
Bronx Martial Arts Academy
http://www.bronxmartialarts.com/instructors.html
head:
Doug Pelinkovic
instructors:
Gino Einaudi
Andrew Johnson

Doug, Gino and Andrew are great. Doug runs his academy a bit more traditonally than most BJJ academies and also offers Shotokan Karate.

Renzo Gracie Brooklyn
http://www.brooklynmartialarts.com/
head:
Pete Lawson

Brooklyn BJJ
http://www.brooklynbjj.com/staff/
head:
Gene Dunn
instructors:
Brian Glick

I don't know Gene too well but I understand that he runs a more traditional school.

My friend Robert Slatkin also teaches in Brooklyn. He is currently moving locations so I don't have much info on his new location yet.

EDIT:

You don't attend Columbia do you? Columbia has a good BJJ class taught by Jason Yang that is dirt cheap.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 7, 2011

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

fawker posted:

How does one start those yoga ball exercises? I saw a youtube of Galvao doing some ridiculous poo poo on it and he made it look so easy. So I tried and I just face planted.

Good to see youre getting back into the gym :)

Start with sitting on the ball and seeing whether you can stay off the ground, then kneel on the ball and try rocking backwards and forwards finding your balance, then try standing up onto one knee. use your hand to assist and get up on your second foot and stand up straight. Focus on your balance and small movements. Experiment with some light punches and rocking backwards and forwards.

Start teaching students on saturday mornings, make sure the students in the centre are incredibly inept and often cancel so you're stuck at the gym for long periods of time with nothing to do and no one else present. Do this for a month.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I've got some pretty bad arthritis in my knees and shoulders, sometimes its rather painful. Is there a martial art I could still participate in to help tone up, lose weight, gain discipline, etc?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
It'll be very difficult to find a martial art where you won't be extensively using your knees and shoulders. I'd say all grappling is out and would recommend shotokan karate or kung fu.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nierbo posted:

It'll be very difficult to find a martial art where you won't be extensively using your knees and shoulders. I'd say all grappling is out and would recommend shotokan karate or kung fu.

I don't know if you're being serious, but karate (especially a tradition dojo on hardwood floors) and many forms of kung fu are pretty hard on the knees.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know if you're being serious, but karate (especially a tradition dojo on hardwood floors) and many forms of kung fu are pretty hard on the knees.

I was being serious. I was thinking along the lines of s/he can pick and choose whatever techniques cause the least pain and theres a bit more room for different stances and poses as opposed to say boxing where the stance is always the same and arms are up perpetually.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Jenner posted:

I've got some pretty bad arthritis in my knees and shoulders, sometimes its rather painful. Is there a martial art I could still participate in to help tone up, lose weight, gain discipline, etc?

How bad is the arthritis and are you getting any sort of treatment for it? BJJ involves spending significant amounts of time with your body weight on your knees or shoulders. It doesn't matter if they're just weak or girly since they'll develop as you train more, but it might aggravate any a condition. If your shoulders are bad enough to keep you out of BJJ, you can definitely forget about judo.

You could probably manage tai chi even on days when your arthritis is playing up, though. If the thousand year old Chinese dudes who live across the road from me can get out and do it every morning at sparrow's fart, I'm sure you can too. Also consider yoga.

I know neither of those involve kicking, punching or pajama-hugging but they're probably going to be good for you anyway unless you're super keen on actually fighting. If you just want some sort of exercise and can't find any martial arts that suit you, swimming is an excellent physical activity for people with annoying injuries.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 7, 2011

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Thoguh posted:

We were shown a forward roll tripping attack at my Hapkido club. Do a forward roll over your shoulder, then grip the target's heel with one hand and slam the blade of your arm into the pressure point on your leg. Impractical as gently caress, but incredibly powerful.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Speaking of pressure points: do they work, are they allowed in actual judo/grappling/mma, why does noone use them?

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

niethan posted:

Speaking of pressure points: do they work, are they allowed in actual judo/grappling/mma, why does noone use them?
No, and that's why no one uses them. It's pretty hard to wedge your finger into their neck or something in a way that incapacitates them from moving. It may work on someone who doesn't know how to move, but trying to pinch their armpit or something while they are putting you to sleep just isn't feasible.

Generally, pain compliance techniques don't work because people are tough as gently caress. Submissions work because they're not just pain, they are real long-term damage. If submissions never caused any real damage no matter how hard they were applied, I would never, ever tap out.

It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight in terms of level of strength. Occasionally you can wedge an elbow or something into a rib that makes them uncomfortable enough to change position to stop the pressure, but it will never ever cause a tap out - guys are just too tough.

imtheism fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 7, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I think it mostly has to do with the fact that the best-easiest pressure point is the chin and the easiest way to press it is by punching it.

AlteredAtronach
Jul 13, 2009
Can anyone recommend any BJJ schools in hawaii? I'm just starting out with no grappling experience beyond high school wrestling. Basically all I've found so far is Egan Inoue's place, a Relson Gracie school, and (not surprisingly) a Gracie Barra academy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I don't really believe much in pressure points or ki or anything either, but my instructor's instructor does, and he's done martial arts for the better part of four decades, and he's hell of a good instructor and fighter.
I'm no less sceptical to pressure points and such, but I expressed my concerns to him, and in front of the entire class, he did this neat trick on my arm to "trap the ki" (said with a wink) or some bullshit, and did a couple of hard taps with his fingers and a slap on the inside of my forearm.
I have no idea what happened, but where he hit my arm, the skin rose up, as if filling with blood or something until it was about the side of a quarter of a egg or something-- a really noticable bumb on my arm. It wasn't sore or anything, and he just put his hand over it and rubbed it away afterwards. I have no idea what it was or how he did it. Maybe someone can enlighten me!

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002

niethan posted:

You can hit nerve clumps and cause some additional damage, but it's near impossible in a flurry. There are parts of the arm more susceptible to damage from a strike etc.

As far as ki. The way I see it, is different ways of describing the same thing. You can either claim that biomechanics of a punch require appropriate grounding and asynchronous alignment of major and minor joints with appropriate muscle contraction, or you can tell someone to feel the energy coming from the ground and into their fist as they strike.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Some guy at Judo a few months ago grabbed my wrist and wouldn't let go during randori when he could have easily have grabbed my sleeve instead. It didn't hurt after the first few seconds and it didn't give him any advantage over grabbing my sleeve and it sure was weird. I always wondered wtf he was doing. Maybe he saw some pressure point thing on youtube and thought he'd try it out on the local white belt.
I always sort of laugh inside when I imagine someone grabbing my wrist as its the go to move for hollywood hapkido but so rarely happens in real life.

imtheism posted:

Generally, pain compliance techniques don't work because people are tough as gently caress.
I'm interested in this as a theory. Is it that a particular type of person (tough) is attracted to martial arts, or do they grow to have a high pain tolerance as they train, or is it an adrenaline thing or just a mental thing. I certainly don't have a high pain tolerance and never have but when I'm at judo I take all sorts of things in stride that I feel I wouldn't normally be able to. Perhaps telling myself that complaining will do no good makes me feel the pain less, like if I don't think about it, it won't hurt. Maybe its just 'the zone'. I'm trying not to get too abstract here. Can anyone relate?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Wrist control is actually pretty important in nogi grappling and mma.

• Locked thread