Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Plastik posted:

Knocked it the gently caress down earlier this year, it's been rebuilt and is easily twice the size inside. While it was down they replaced it with a badass Lego tent on the other side of the Marketplace by Once Upon A Toy.

I was wondering if it had actually grown in size. It had to have, because it just seems so much more spacious. Last time I was there it felt claustrophobic, especially with how busy that place gets.

Plastik posted:

The dogs and their owners were 'refreshed' a month or so ago, so they shouldn't look too bad. I think that once every 6 months or year they take all the outside bricks and recycle and replace them. The owner kids were rebuilt as a princess and a pirate, though, because the store next door has the Bippidi Boppidi Boutique and the Pirates League where little kids can get made over to look like princesses and pirates.

Yeah, I saw a little girl getting made up behind the glass, and a few more princesses walking around. But I was more impressed with the little black kid who had Captain America facepaint. I wanted to tell him about how there was a black Captain America for real. Yeah, that wouldn't have been weird.

Plastik posted:

Yeah, I'm a Disney quasi-nerd, what of it?

No shame in that, Disney is p. cool. And besides, you're admitting this to a group of adults who play with Lego.

(What do you tell people when you have a Lego hobby? Do you say 'play with Lego'? Wouldn't anything else sound like you're trying to hard to make it sound better? It's like a comic book geek who tells people he reads 'graphic novels' when he has a pull list of all the X-Men titles.)

How often does the PAB wall refresh? And you know, I was thinking about this last night... some AFOL should run a website that catalogs what is on the PAB on a monthly or maybe even weekly basis. This would really help me, as I'm in Tampa, so it's a day's event for me to go out there.

I really want a lot more tiles, and more architectural bricks, like arches and slopes. I did get some corner slopes, but it's kinda silly to have a handful of dark blue corner slopes when I don't have the normal slopes in that color to complement them.

OperaMouse posted:

What sorting? Half the fun is digging through the pile to look for that one piece.

I loving hate that. Always did, even when I was a kid. I've got a desk table full of little containers and poo poo that is sorted. I do have a 16 quart bucket of unsorted Legos though, mostly from things that I've taken apart, like my Hyundai Tiburon and the Pokemon Center. And I need to put my PAB haul away too. I might do that today, while watching a few movies and listening to podcasts.

Revol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

OperaMouse posted:

What sorting? Half the fun is digging through the pile to look for that one piece.

While this is true, these days I'm short on time, and having everything sorted makes it easier to build something. When you have 8 hours to kill as a kid, doing the big dig isn't a problem.

When I have an hour or two week to build, it's nice to know where to find stuff.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Yeah gently caress digging through a pile.
Nowadays it's pulling open drawer after tiny drawer trying to remember if I put the robot arms in with the clip plates or the minfig body parts.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Revol posted:

The coolest one though, by far, is this:

\

gently caress YEAH, Maleficent represent. :c00l:

I love how the prince and the horse are both minifigs. That's loving awesome.

You should've got Herorica so you could tell us about it. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Easy sorting: see if you can find a bunch of the old Bionicle canisters, for the original Toa, Toa Nuva, or if you're desperate, the Bohrok. They make AMAZING containers for small pieces and minifig stuff, and they seal up very tightly. The Bohrok ones are a last resort due to the top being indented, thus making it a pain in the rear end to close it if you have too much inside.

Plus you can very easily sort by color this way! "Hmm, I put all my minifigs in the Tahu Nuva canister, and all the 1x1 with C claw blocks in the Pohatu canister, and all the Throwbot Discs(lol) in the green Bohrok canister..."

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Captain Invictus posted:

Plus you can very easily sort by color this way! "Hmm, I put all my minifigs in the Tahu Nuva canister, and all the 1x1 with C claw blocks in the Pohatu canister, and all the Throwbot Discs(lol) in the green Bohrok canister..."

That seems like way more effort than required.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dre2Dee2 posted:

You should've got Herorica so you could tell us about it. :(

I have nobody to play it with.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
I use these things:

http://tinyurl.com/3auryvb

They're great.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The problem with the little tackle box thingies is once you get up to around 10 of them they start taking up so much space that it's hard to put them on the kitchen table and still have room to build.

I have 11 of those tackle boxes and 2 6 drawer versions of these (which you can make by buying two, pulling the top off of one and then stacking them) full of little plastic containers:

We're running out of room :(

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

CADPAT posted:

I use these things:

http://tinyurl.com/3auryvb

They're great.

They're awesome. I have four of that size, and one larger that holds a lot of my Technic axels and pins.

I've posted photos of my set up before, and I'll do it again since the subject has come up.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Bucket of LEGO. Man up. :colbert:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I am honestly offended that you sort them. I'm not sure why. I think it just strikes me as the "wrong" way to play. Half the fun isn't looking for THAT ONE PIECE, its looking for that one piece and finding something more interesting you can use that you forgot you had.

But yeah, I'd probably sort them now eventually, but there will always be a grab bucket of legos in my heart.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

VanSandman posted:

I am honestly offended that you sort them. I'm not sure why. I think it just strikes me as the "wrong" way to play.

I think that's it. I don't "play" with Lego like I did when I was a kid.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
If you want to be able to 'stumble' on pieces still but enjoy some sort of organizing, then just sort by color. That's how I started out and its only gotten more specific from there. The only major problem I have with sorting is that it takes up way more room than just having some big buckets.

jp82729
Sep 5, 2003

I purchased the Castle Fortaan Heroica set to play with my 5 and 7 year olds. Overall, enjoyable so far. The rules are a little unclear or lacking in a few places, but we have filled in the gaps.

Of course, the best part is creating custom level layouts.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Goddamn I'm so glad I didn't buy the PotC ship that's out now because gently caress yes Davy Jones! And a much cooler ship, also. But Davy Hones!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
http://songofthewinds.com/Lego/

Way out of date (He probably spent $1k on Lego since these pictures, and we've moved twice) but this is basically how the Lego is in our house, except now there's a lot more, less sorted, all over on shelves in the living room, the library, the dining room...

I really need to "encourage" him to clean up his messes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

renraku posted:

That seems like way more effort than required.

It was a joke, but they really are good for holding small pieces.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Revol posted:

How often does the PAB wall refresh? And you know, I was thinking about this last night... some AFOL should run a website that catalogs what is on the PAB on a monthly or maybe even weekly basis. This would really help me, as I'm in Tampa, so it's a day's event for me to go out there.

That PAB wall is refreshed box by box every time they run low enough on a piece that they have to reduce its presence on the wall. As far as the contents of the wall, whenever I go I can make an effort to document what's on the wall and post it here, I presume that'll help.

Any other Florida Goons going to the new Legoland when it opens in October? Pretty sure I'm going in the first or second week of November, it should have died down by then. We could make it a Goon Meet if there's enough people interested.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Faerunner posted:

http://songofthewinds.com/Lego/

Way out of date (He probably spent $1k on Lego since these pictures, and we've moved twice) but this is basically how the Lego is in our house, except now there's a lot more, less sorted, all over on shelves in the living room, the library, the dining room...

I really need to "encourage" him to clean up his messes.

I was like "Oh wow look at all that awesome stuff" and all those instructions but the Time Chasers one caught my eye instantly and I got a little sad. Man I hate that set, just as much as I hated it when it first came out.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Just found this treasure at a yard sale for about 5$. It was missing some pieces but it still looks great. I love all the little traps and hidden treasure inside the set itself.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

VaultAggie posted:

Just found this treasure at a yard sale for about 5$. It was missing some pieces but it still looks great. I love all the little traps and hidden treasure inside the set itself.

Lucky you. That was my single most lusted after set when I was a kid.
Pharaoh's Quest is cool and all, but it has nothing on the original Adventurers line.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was like "Oh wow look at all that awesome stuff" and all those instructions but the Time Chasers one caught my eye instantly and I got a little sad. Man I hate that set, just as much as I hated it when it first came out.

If it helps, I've never seen it put together, and last I looked the ship pieces were built into an actual boat that had no wings. And definitely didn't time travel.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Time Cruisers was just about the dumbest thing, it really looks like they just had some extra pieces from their other themes and tried to throw something together:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
"Why are you bothering with those old pictures, just post the Brickset link."

Oh fine. http://brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=Samus

I need to dig out some of the older sets in our collection. They're way cooler than most of the modern ones in my opinion. Aquazone is the best zone.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
Hmm, I found a batch of 3 Lunar Limos for sale at an obscure toy store. Is this my first big Lego investment opportunity?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

^^Could be if you snatch em up and sell the Brick Pimps seperately.

Time Cruisers is one theme I missed out on but would have enjoyed just because I usually buy sets for parts rather than how they look. I think it was neat that they included such a big variety of parts that would have been really hard to get otherwise.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Xenophon posted:

Time Cruisers was just about the dumbest thing, it really looks like they just had some extra pieces from their other themes and tried to throw something together:

I thought Time Cruisers was cool when it came out, especially that big pirate poo poo thing :eng99:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
You all can go to hell, the Time Ship was awesome :colbert:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
The minifgs were loving retarded though.
The kid with the shaggy hair, especially. That was the only time I wanted to kill a LEGO.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Well yeah, but who cares about minifigs? :rolleye:

This guy has some awesome stuff even if if some of it is super fragile looking:

Click here to see his whole gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Noddy

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

VaultAggie posted:

That is loving awesome holy poo poo. I wanted that bad back in the day.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

What pieces are you missing? I bought a bulk bin of Lego from a yard sale back last summer and found a fair number of pieces from that set, but not enough to really build it substantially. I'd be happy to send them to you.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Finally got around to taking pictures of my Final Fantasy series. In roughly increasing order of customization;

Samurai, Paladin (gonna replace paint with stickers soon) Engineer, Thief

Red Mage, Monk, Dragoon, Berserker

Mystic Knight (unfinished) White Mage, Black Mage

Ninja, Chemist (gonna do something neat with that bottle) Geomancer (unfinished) Dark Knight

Cactaur (unfinished) Goblins, Odin, Chocobos (faces suck)

Golem, Bahamut (still trying to figure out how to attach the head) Leviathan

Extra Weapons; harp, rod, elemental swords, nunchucks

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
^^^
Now I want to see your Final Fantasy x-2 LP in lego form.

ireladd posted:

What pieces are you missing? I bought a bulk bin of Lego from a yard sale back last summer and found a fair number of pieces from that set, but not enough to really build it substantially. I'd be happy to send them to you.

That's ok, it's mainly structural parts that I was able to fill in. Much appreciated, though!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Xenophon posted:

OMG I could almost kiss you, I have that set from when I was a kid but I lost the instructions and could not remember the name or number for that set. Now I can finally put it back together to display proudly.

I need to buy the upgrade so I can post pics of all my older sets I just got around to rebuilding. Got the old Admiral Ships, old castles and Pirate Islands with a bit of older city models and random cowboys and robbers. Its like a trip back to the early 90's when Lego was at its best. Still they are pretty awesome this day and age, I just prefer the older models is all.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 8, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xenophon posted:

That is the entire point, to recoup the costs on less common pieces.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Bought a 40ish pound bulk bin. We're in the process of sorting but nothing especially exciting so far. I did find the wings for one of the older Discovery space shuttles, and what looks like part of a TIE fighter though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That Cactuar is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
For those of you hating on Time Cruisers:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6496_Whirling_Time_Warper

The Whirling Time Warper. My favorite set EVER. It's just so drat crazy. The goofy skull pistons, the fuel drum full of coins, jewels, and KNIVES, the ghost with his briefcase and glass of wine...

It's perfect.