Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Is there any way in WHS or FreeNAS to have the system tell you if the drives are spinning down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

jeeves posted:

Wireless is always going to be way slower than wired.

And yeah, the ReadyNAS series seems good, if you don't mind them being loud. That was a problem for me due to a small apartment with my sound-sensitive girlfriend, so I had to buy a HP Microserver. I wish I had just been able to buy the easier to set up ReadyNAS, but oh well.

Loud? My ReadyNAS isn't terribly loud. Maybe when the fans go full bore like when it boots up.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Okay, looks like the DE replacements for WHS2011 are incredibly frustrating (for example, you have to hit refresh on ANY change or else it doesn't auto-update the window on file move/copy/rename/delete/etc) so I am going to do with FreeNAS.

Ugh. Copying 2TB of files definitely takes a while!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Any of you Solaris cats have issues with it reporting CPUs as "faulty"? It keeps claiming CPU 0 on my E6600 was faulted (usually immediately on boot). I've since upgraded the hardware to a X58-board (so I can run 3 1068Es) and a i7-930 (4 cores, 8 threads) and it claims two CPUs are faulted now. I don't know how the cores/threads maps, but it looks like it thinks Core 0 and its associated HT are "faulty".

Taco
Feb 22, 2001

My God ...
It's full of pubbies!
Hello, thread. I would like some advice on a home storage solution. I had been using a Drobo full of 1TBs that, other than being a little slow and occasionally finicky, suited my needs fine until it decided to fail in a pretty obnoxious way* such that I no longer trust stupid Drobos or any of the stupid hard drives in it. Ideally I think I would like something like the Drobo to replace it – as in something directly attached with some redundancy. I don’t necessarily need the size mixing and matching. My main desktop is on 24/7 anyway and I’m perfectly happy managing the sharing/streaming from there and I’m pretty sure I don’t care about any of the fancy features a separate NAS offers (unless someone really wants to sell me). Before we veer into tl;dr territory I guess I’ll just lay out what I want.

• This will be my primary bulk storage thing. I would like some redundancy. Most/all of it (certainly the more important parts, obviously) will be backed up to random old HDs slapped into enclosures. Really important stuff will be backed up to ~da cloud~ so I think I’m set on being yelled at re: RAID/backup (but maybe not who knows)
  • Prefer DAS to NAS, I think
  • 2TB usable space absolute minimum, would much prefer at least 3. 4 would probably let me not give a poo poo about this again for a very long time.
  • I do want it to be external, I’m not interested in building a RAID directly into my desktop. I like the idea of being able to unplug it and take it somewhere entirely different and use it if the need arose. Basically a big stupid USB drive except with some redundancy.
  • I’m not particularly interested in rolling my own anything, I’m looking for something fairly low-effort. I have more money than sense.

Options I’ve been considering:
  • Maybe just throwing 2 3TB drives in something like this and RAID1ing them? Will that work ok with 3TB drives? Nerd in the reviews says yes. Would this be noticeably faster than a Drobo?
  • Something like these Buffalo Drive/Linkstation things?
  • I was also looking at a DS411J before I read this thread and heard they were terrible drive killing monsters, and thought about it more and realized I’d probably prefer something directly attached anyway
  • [???] I’m not super familiar with this space. Is there other stuff I should be considering?

I feel like what I want is pretty basic and I’m not super excited about a bunch of bells and whistles, so for the most part I was looking at lower-end stuff. I’m willing to spend money if it fits my needs though, I’m just not totally sure what I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Sorry in advance if any of my questions/ideas are really stupid.

*If anyone cares to read my Drobo story: it started eating data. Every time I rebooted the desktop (and thus the Drobo rebooted), a few recently added files would just be sitting at 0 bytes. At no point did the Drobo indicate there was any problem. I had (and actually continue to have) <2TB of data on it so everything was backed up to a separate 2TB hard drive, so I burnt it down and ran long diagnostics on the disks individually. Naturally, they all came back 100% fine, although one was making some suspicious noises. I’m not really sure what to think, but my faith in that entire situation is pretty damaged. I never really loved the Drobo to begin with, so I’m kind of willing to just move on (hence this post).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Taco posted:

:words:
I was in a similar situation to you. For a long time I was looking at Drobos, ReadyNASes, etc. (I even bought then returned a Drobo) but decided they were just overkill for what I needed. I already have an iMac that's on all of the time, so I really only needed a DAS. A few weeks ago I purchased a My Book Studio II in a 2x1TB configuration and immediately swapped the drives for 2x3TB.

Performance is surprisingly decent over FW 800, it's cool and quiet, and if you install the bare minimum management software just to switch between RAID 1 and RAID 0 it's very unintrusive. I removed the software after getting it set up anyway since it's not necessary to access data. My biggest complaint is the annoying row of lights on the front, but that's because I have it in my bedroom so I have that complaint about most electronics with lights. I know you can disable the lights on WD's NAS boxes, but no such luck on this DAS. Some opaque tape took care of the problem right away. :shobon:

I'm not sure if that's for the DAS for you or not -- most dual-bay all generally perform around the same I think, so you might be able to accomplish the same for less money. But I just wanted to chime in and say that I think you're going in the right direction for your storage needs.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 6, 2011

atomjack
May 17, 2003

So my 6x1.5TB Raid-5 Array (mdadm) on my Ubuntu box is about full, and decided to upgrade my server by getting a Norco 4220 server case, along with 6x2TB drives to up my storage space.

Right now my Raid-5 array is using XFS, but I'm not very fond of the fact that you can't shrink the filesystem, so I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to ext4 (create a new array with the new drives + LVM, move all the data over, then create a new array with the old drives and add that to the LVM Array). Anyone run into any problems using ext4? I know there's a 16TB filesystem limit, but I'm not too worried about that as my calculations show I'm just about hitting that size with the combined arrays (and if I lose a little bit, I'm pretty sure the amount is negligible).

Also, I thought about giving ZFS a try, since it seems like some people have gotten native kernel drivers working, but I was never able to get it to compile. Followed several guides but kept running into compile errors. Has anyone been able to get the kernel drivers to compile on Ubuntu 11.04? Or should I not even worry about ZFS? The thing I'm worried about is the fact that the 2TB drives are really butting up against the safety of MTBF with Raid5.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Question/clarification about RAID-1: 2 mirrored drives which protect against single drive failure.

What happens if one of the drives starts to fail and get bad/corrupted sectors, but doesn't die outright? Does the second drive start mirroring corrupted data? Is RAID-1 essentially only protection against TOTAL drive failure or would it catch corruption in data caused by one of the drives?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Pweller posted:

Question/clarification about RAID-1: 2 mirrored drives which protect against single drive failure.

What happens if one of the drives starts to fail and get bad/corrupted sectors, but doesn't die outright? Does the second drive start mirroring corrupted data? Is RAID-1 essentially only protection against TOTAL drive failure or would it catch corruption in data caused by one of the drives?

ZFS would catch the corruption, a typical mirror has no idea what data is on it, so it will happily throw bits around until the cows come home.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That said, if it's the drive that's corrupting rather than the CPU or memory, it would not be a given (or even likely) that the bad data would mirror. Good data is sent to both drives, and the good drive writes it correctly. The bad drive writes and corrupts/makes bad a sector.

It's really, really unlikely to have a silent corruption problem on just a hard drive, so let's say it's a bad sector. The next time data is read, the good drive spits back data. The bad drive notices the bad sector, and it goes into recovery mode on that sector. If it didn't succeed or stop trying within 8 seconds, it will fail out of the array. The array will become degraded, and the controller will properly prompt you to replace the drive with the bad sector.

So, bad sector? No problem.

Silent data corruption? Very unlikely at the drive level. But coming from elsewhere (bad driver, dud RAM)? Would make it straight through.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
In searching for the 1068E through somebody's post, I came across the existance of the HP SAS Expander. Holy. loving. poo poo.

For $250-350, you get a card that takes 1 SFF8087 and multiplies it out to 7. If you feed it an 8088, you get 8. Each card supports up to 32 drive. So technically speaking, if you pair together a 1068E with two of these, you've now got homes for 60 drives. Where the gently caress am I going to find an enclosure that takes 60 drives.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

PopeOnARope posted:

In searching for the 1068E through somebody's post, I came across the existance of the HP SAS Expander. Holy. loving. poo poo.

For $250-350, you get a card that takes 1 SFF8087 and multiplies it out to 7. If you feed it an 8088, you get 8. Each card supports up to 32 drive. So technically speaking, if you pair together a 1068E with two of these, you've now got homes for 60 drives. Where the gently caress am I going to find an enclosure that takes 60 drives.

How's 50 in 9U strike you?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

SiI makes a multiplier quite cheaper for $50-60 but its limited to 5 ports.

I really like that 1068E controller, one of those and the on-board could do a full backblaze 45drive/4u system.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

How's 50 in 9U strike you?

I think that's a little beyond the scope of reasonable cost. Plus I've found a few 48 in 4U enclosures before.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Viktor posted:

SiI makes a multiplier quite cheaper for $50-60 but its limited to 5 ports.

I really like that 1068E controller, one of those and the on-board could do a full backblaze 45drive/4u system.

Nope, that's SATA, not SAS. With that you're splitting 5 drives over the bandwith of a single SATA port, with a SAS expander each drive gets its own channel.

The problem with that HP SAS Expander is that it gets power from a PCI-E port. The hackiest way I found once to do it was get a cheap motherboard and pray that it would power the PCI-E bus without a CPU or RAM or anything (the one they found did, not sure how common that is). Unless somebody's made a device that will power the port and nothing else.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Viktor posted:

Backblaze

This. If I ever had a home need for that much storage, I would be building something similar.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's do the 9U and 4U mean that you guys are mentioning?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dudebro posted:

What's do the 9U and 4U mean that you guys are mentioning?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am about to commit my Proliant Microserver to being a FreeNAS box instead of WHS/DE, however I had some quick questions about ZFS.

I have 5GB of ECC ram in my box, however I hear ZFS gobbles up ram. Is that enough for a 5x2TB Raid-Z array?

Also, can ZFS add another disk later? I am currently waiting on my 5th 2TB drive to replace the 1TB drive I had WHS running on as a system disk, but can I make a 4x2TB raid with ZFS and then later add in the 5th? Or should I just wait?

Lastly, I've heard of people majorly speeding up their NAS's with a tiny 32gb SSD as their ZFS pool space. I am currently limited to non-gigabit network speeds, so I am sure I don't need to speed my NAS up at all yet, but in the future when I upgrade my router, how hard would this be to implement to an existing raid, or would I have to rebuild the raid?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any reasonably prices ($600 or less) NAS's out there that will let you run python applications out of the box or is that something that is only possible if I build my own NAS?

I really just want the ability to leave SABNZBD/SickBeard/Couch Potato running at all times on an NAS, but I haven't built any type of computer in over 5 years and I would really like the headache-free experience of just buying something and being done with it.

I guess I'd be willing to pick up a cheap HP/Dell/Whatever and install Windows Server on it.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Nope, that's SATA, not SAS. With that you're splitting 5 drives over the bandwith of a single SATA port, with a SAS expander each drive gets its own channel.

The problem with that HP SAS Expander is that it gets power from a PCI-E port. The hackiest way I found once to do it was get a cheap motherboard and pray that it would power the PCI-E bus without a CPU or RAM or anything (the one they found did, not sure how common that is). Unless somebody's made a device that will power the port and nothing else.

There's a PCB device you can buy that a few guys on [H] found. Basically it just has an ATX 24 + 4 pin down the end of it, plus an x16 card. It's pretty cheap too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

jeeves posted:

I have 5GB of ECC ram in my box, however I hear ZFS gobbles up ram. Is that enough for a 5x2TB Raid-Z array?
I've got 4 GB with a 5x1.5TB and a 2x250GB Mirror, and I've usually got 2 GB free (which I take up with a minecraft server)

quote:

Also, can ZFS add another disk later? I am currently waiting on my 5th 2TB drive to replace the 1TB drive I had WHS running on as a system disk, but can I make a 4x2TB raid with ZFS and then later add in the 5th? Or should I just wait?
You can't do this, it would require destroying the pool and rebuilding it.

quote:

Lastly, I've heard of people majorly speeding up their NAS's with a tiny 32gb SSD as their ZFS pool space. I am currently limited to non-gigabit network speeds, so I am sure I don't need to speed my NAS up at all yet, but in the future when I upgrade my router, how hard would this be to implement to an existing raid, or would I have to rebuild the raid?

This can be added in. I'm guessing you're thinking of cache drive, or possibly (but not probably) a log device:
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#General_Storage_Pool_Performance_Considerations

As you can see, it's easy to add.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

FISHMANPET posted:

You can't do this, it would require destroying the pool and rebuilding it.

You can expand RAIDZ pools like you would vertically expand a RAID5/6 and with similar limitations (disk swapping larger disks) or you can add more vdevs.

*edit*

To clarify you can't add a disk to a vdev in a poll but you can expand a pool. (Goddamnit zfs terms are really annoying)

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 8, 2011

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Cool, good to know. I'll just wait for the 5th drive to arrive before doing anything then.

I have to say, after playing around with WHS and DE, copying 2TB of data to test with definitely takes a while.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Whoops yep I stand corrected, thanks for that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Corbet posted:

Are there any reasonably prices ($600 or less) NAS's out there that will let you run python applications out of the box or is that something that is only possible if I build my own NAS?

I really just want the ability to leave SABNZBD/SickBeard/Couch Potato running at all times on an NAS, but I haven't built any type of computer in over 5 years and I would really like the headache-free experience of just buying something and being done with it.

I guess I'd be willing to pick up a cheap HP/Dell/Whatever and install Windows Server on it.

Pretty much what I do with my ReadyNAS. I paid a few bucks for add-ons to run on it and been happy with it.

http://readynasxtras.com/readynas-x86-add-ons/bundles-x86

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Longinus00 posted:

You can expand RAIDZ pools like you would vertically expand a RAID5/6 and with similar limitations (disk swapping larger disks) or you can add more vdevs.

*edit*

To clarify you can't add a disk to a vdev in a poll but you can expand a pool. (Goddamnit zfs terms are really annoying)

Yeah, I had to sit down with this for a while at work to explain why a 46 disk raidz2 wasn't a good idea on our thumper.

A block device is a disk or a file. You can put block devices together into mirrors or raidz groups, and those are themselves called vdevs. A pool is made up of one or more vdevs, and data is striped across all vdevs.

Confused? If you have a RaidZ pool, what you actually have is a pool made of one vdev, and that vdev is a RaidZ vdev. A vdev is a mirror, RAIDZ, or block device added as a vdev.

So what you can do is is add more vdevs to a pool, and data will be striped onto the new vdevs. You can replace all the block devices in vdev with bigger block devices to add space. You can't change the number of block devices in a vdev.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pretty much what I do with my ReadyNAS. I paid a few bucks for add-ons to run on it and been happy with it.

http://readynasxtras.com/readynas-x86-add-ons/bundles-x86

What ReadyNAS do you have and what drives do you use with it? I'm thinking about picking up the RND4000.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Corbet posted:

What ReadyNAS do you have and what drives do you use with it? I'm thinking about picking up the RND4000.

I got the RND4000 too. Using 2TB WD drives (WDC WD2002FYPS-02W3B0, firmware 04.01G01. This revision doesn't have that dumb LCC issue from what I'm told) I got from a friend of mine that works for WD for 50 bucks a pop.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 9, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any reasons why I should install Windows Home Server onto my NAS box and utilize Drive Extender?

It seems like the ideal option for someone like me who wants to only buy a couple 3 TB hard drives, throw in some other hard drives I have sitting around, and buy some more hard drives at a later time. It's just not financially viable for me to buy a bunch of identical drives at the same time.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Corbet posted:

Are there any reasons why I should install Windows Home Server onto my NAS box and utilize Drive Extender?

It seems like the ideal option for someone like me who wants to only buy a couple 3 TB hard drives, throw in some other hard drives I have sitting around, and buy some more hard drives at a later time. It's just not financially viable for me to buy a bunch of identical drives at the same time.

WHS is an 8 year old OS, and WHSv2 / Vail doesn't even have a drive extender.

There's a ton of poo poo around that offers WHS-like functionality - like Drive Bender.

How many drives do you have at the moment anyway?

\/ Just use your motherboard's RAID or someshit. Intel lets you expand things easily

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 11, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PopeOnARope posted:

WHS is an 8 year old OS, and WHSv2 / Vail doesn't even have a drive extender.

There's a ton of poo poo around that offers WHS-like functionality - like Drive Bender.

How many drives do you have at the moment anyway?

I've got 2 1 TBs (One Samsung, One WD) and I'd likely pick up 2 3 TB drives.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DE (and WHS2011 DE replacements) are the only option to be able to use non-same sized disks easily.

I've tried out DE replacements on WHS2011, their performance is currently utter poo poo. Enough so that I said gently caress it and went with FreeNAS.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

jeeves posted:

DE (and WHS2011 DE replacements) are the only option to be able to use non-same sized disks easily.

I've tried out DE replacements on WHS2011, their performance is currently utter poo poo. Enough so that I said gently caress it and went with FreeNAS.

Can you elaborate on your issues with FlexRAID? And does anyone else have opinions?

I'm looking for a solution with
-mirroring and parity
-can tolerate at least 1 drive failure
-can mix and match drives
-drives are individually readable in case more than 1 drive dies or whatever (I'm nervous about losing ALL data if something really goes wrong)
-doesn't require its own OS to manage data pool

FlexRAID seems to be a popular choice that supports all of the above, but their wiki is confusing to me and data is spotty and outdated around the net. I understand that the current implementation uses data snapshots that need to be committed, but I'm assuming I can automate this process every night. I could tolerate losing the last day or two's changes so this would be fine for me. I would be using a separate drive for the OS without any of this jiggery applied to it.

Other options seem to be
-Drive Bender (Windows only?)
-unRAID (uses its own OS which seems like extra hassle, free version has limitations)
-RAID 4/5 (can't pull and read drives on another machine)
-ZFS (can't pull and read drives on another machine)

Also think I'm going to use Ubuntu Desktop since I'd like a GUI OS to remote into and run jDownloader for media storage sites. Any reasons why/if I should not do this would be appreciated. Might forget that and try FreeNAS... undecided.

e: also this thread is huge and spans many many months, might need a reboot for the sake of people new to the thread and probably repeating questions (like me?).

e2: not sure where I thought I saw you posting about FlexRAID specifically, jeeves, maybe I imagined it

Pweller fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 11, 2011

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
ZFS absolutely can pull and read drives on other machines. That's the point of zpool import/export.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

evol262 posted:

ZFS absolutely can pull and read drives on other machines. That's the point of zpool import/export.

Not as a single drive. He wants to grab one drive and put it in a random machine and for it to be read. He wants WHS v1 drive extender, but that's dead and gone.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Pweller posted:

-unRAID (uses its own OS which seems like extra hassle, free version has limitations)

I'll cover some unRAID stuff. It has it's roots in slackware but its very generic/open Linux base. It uses reiserfs on every-disk and a bastardized md device to generate a parity. You can pull the disks at any time and attach them to any major linux distribution that has resierfs support. The disks are joined via fuse and use SHFS to abstract to one single mount point /mnt/user. You just throw the OS on a fat32 formatted USB stick and run the self boot script and go. Throw any kind of hardware and disks at it.

The product has grown leaps and bounds but there's still some serious issues that need fixing chief being no package management/install for ease of use by end users. If your scared of a shell and tinkering with config files move on. Even user contributed scripts (say installing/configuring sabnzbd/sickbeard bundle) are generally broken and require quite a bit of troubleshooting. But the community offsets this by being very helpful and knowledgable about most issues.

The push to version 5 has been in beta for almost a year and no updated roadmap in a long time.

Either then those major issues I have been using it for my home NAS for almost a year with a Plus key and find it a perfect balance between tinkering and "just working".

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
This question sort of straddles the Enterprise storage thread and this one, but this seems the slightly more appropriate place to ask given the continuing discussion of ZFS.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for external self-contained disk shelves that can present disks as JBOD to an OpenSolaris/Indiana or Nexenta installation? The Nexenta HCL for hardware is thin as hell -- I've never heard of their storage hardware partners outside of Supermicro, and Supermicro seem to only offer integrated disk shelf + motherboard integrated units, which is not the route I'd like to go.

Dell's PowerVault line doesn't even seem to mention the word JBOD anywhere anymore, LSI is out of the disk shelf business... so what are SMB folks using to hook large disksets into ZFS boxes nowadays?

edit: Any discussion of physical interface (SAS, iSCSI over Ethernet, etc.) would be helpful too.

McRib Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 11, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

McRib Sandwich posted:

This question sort of straddles the Enterprise storage thread and this one, but this seems the slightly more appropriate place to ask given the continuing discussion of ZFS.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for external self-contained disk shelves that can present disks as JBOD to an OpenSolaris/Indiana or Nexenta installation? The Nexenta HCL for hardware is thin as hell -- I've never heard of their storage hardware partners outside of Supermicro, and Supermicro seem to only offer integrated disk shelf + motherboard integrated units, which is not the route I'd like to go.

Dell's PowerVault line doesn't even seem to mention the word JBOD anywhere anymore, LSI is out of the disk shelf business... so what are SMB folks using to hook large disksets into ZFS boxes nowadays?

edit: Any discussion of physical interface (SAS, iSCSI over Ethernet, etc.) would be helpful too.

We're going through this at work right now, and someone found that HP makes a SAS JBOD, though I haven't verified it myself.

In a pinch the PowerVaults can do it, you just have to use the onboard controller to turn each disk into a single disk array, but that's a big kludgy hack and I wouldn't recomend it except as a last resort.

As for HCL, it doesn't matter, as long as you plug it into a supported SAS card, which there are many of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

FISHMANPET posted:

We're going through this at work right now, and someone found that HP makes a SAS JBOD, though I haven't verified it myself.

In a pinch the PowerVaults can do it, you just have to use the onboard controller to turn each disk into a single disk array, but that's a big kludgy hack and I wouldn't recomend it except as a last resort.

As for HCL, it doesn't matter, as long as you plug it into a supported SAS card, which there are many of.

I guess for my needs, the kicker is that I'd like to find a JBOD that the NexentaStor hardware knows about, so that it can flash an indicator light when a disk on the unit fails. Like I said though, their HCL is extremely thin.

Of course it occurred to me as soon as I hit submit on that last post, but it looks like the Promise VTrak line is another well-known vendor (though I know little of them in the way of reliability or reputation). Wonder if anyone here has experience with throwing a VTrak at a ZFS installation? Nexenta specifically, maybe?