Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Fishbus posted:

Local talent would be preferable as current legislation has made it difficult to get visas. TL;DR crummy government.

I sent you an email, I'll chat to the env lead tomorrow. About the people who have prodded him an email.

I'll be looking forward to the severe plowing of my website.

:)

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

A kid from my high school went to the University of Advanced Technology, and wanted to get a job making video games. He was also the kind of kid who played WoW in class and made horrible photoshops of flaming swords. Can someone tell me how this school is? I can't imagine all that legit if they offer a class on how to lead a guild.

Horror stories preferred, please.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

zacpol posted:

A kid from my high school went to the University of Advanced Technology, and wanted to get a job making video games. He was also the kind of kid who played WoW in class and made horrible photoshops of flaming swords. Can someone tell me how this school is? I can't imagine all that legit if they offer a class on how to lead a guild.

Last time I was at GDC (07 I think?) I met like a billion students from there looking for work. For some reason they all felt like networking with me (a student looking for work), I guess because people that aren't students are scary or something.

This concludes my UAT stories.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Last time I was at GDC (07 I think?) I met like a billion students from there looking for work. For some reason they all felt like networking with me (a student looking for work), I guess because people that aren't students are scary or something.

The very first time I went to Siggraph was about 2 years ago I think? It looked very depressing as the student area had like a billion students and apparently studios only wanted online submissions. I'm just glad I didn't wear my workshirt otherwise I would've gotten swarmed like one of the blizzard guys did when he wore his.

This industry's rough business man.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Odddzy posted:

I'll be looking forward to the severe plowing of my website.

:)

I had a hit from Splash Damage Ltd in Bromley yesterday. :) I'm not expecting much by way of jobs as I'm a filthy foreigner, but the more eyes I can get on my portfolio and feedback, the better. They're pretty cool just for looking.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

This industry's rough business man.

I remember the first/only SIGGRAPH I went to, on one morning my friends and I got on the bus to the convention center, I got an isle seat and was sort of leaning out to look down the aisle. One guy in the isle seat a row ahead and across was leaning over to talk to the person in the seat in front of me. As I was scanning the bus I noticed his lanyard with his SIGGRAPH pass. I think the passes had people's names and their business. It was a bit tilted so I didn't see what it said, but he saw me glancing over it and then flipped his pass completely over, broke off his conversation, and leaned back in his seat.

I assume he must have been employed in the industry, saw the sparkle of unbridled curiosity and passion in my eye, and didn't want to be bothered. That sure gave me the confidence boost I needed to approach developers the rest of the day!

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
welp, just got settled down and all moved-in in Austin this afternoon. I start on monday working with Vigil.
I've never been to Texas so it all feels a little out of my league at the moment but I've got my car, a gps, and I'm psyched to start doing some awesome stuff.

It feels almost like home...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Awesome dude. I had the opportunity to apply for a Vigil character artist temp job but I just can't afford the move to Texas at this point :/

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

treeboy posted:

welp, just got settled down and all moved-in in Austin this afternoon. I start on monday working with Vigil.
I've never been to Texas so it all feels a little out of my league at the moment but I've got my car, a gps, and I'm psyched to start doing some awesome stuff.

Welcome to Texas!

Sorry about the heat, but you'd better start getting used to it!

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

zacpol posted:

My friend got a degree from there (programming) but is not a programmer. (He works in his family's business.)

I know a couple people that go there now but can't say much about how it's worked out for them. I attend Phoenix's monthly IGDA meetings that attract a large number of UAT students... One or two of the students I've met seem to stand out and produce good work, while a lot of others seem to just love the idea of "playin' games all day".

I've met a couple instructors from there as well. One of them is a super smart dude that knows his stuff (game programming) and the other is pretty much autistic.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
A well deserved congrats to all the Abertay grads!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

mutata posted:

I had a hit from Splash Damage Ltd in Bromley yesterday. :) I'm not expecting much by way of jobs as I'm a filthy foreigner, but the more eyes I can get on my portfolio and feedback, the better. They're pretty cool just for looking.

From what I remember, your portfolio had some really nice stuff in it. I'm not too up to date on your job situation and i'm nothing more than another of those job seekers but I really think you shouldn't be too far from a good job if you haven't got one already. ;)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
The SD guys are awesome. Just call Matt Old Man Matt and you're a shoe in.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

A well deserved congrats to all the Abertay grads!

Cheers muchly!

Still wondering why the flautist from Jethro Tull was getting an honorary degree from Abertay.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

zacpol posted:

It's not really fair judging a school based on it's students. There are people like this at any college no matter how good. I have heard mixed opinions about it, less bad than other schools however. I was actually thinking about going to UAT for my masters. I need one to continue my teaching career which I seem to enjoy more than being in the industry. It's the only accredited game related degree that doesn't cost a loving fortune. Since I already have a lot of industry experience, I'm not sure how much I'll get out of it.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Imajus posted:

Since I already have a lot of industry experience, I'm not sure how much I'll get out of it.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Apply to teach games related subjects at Teesside University. Since you have current industry experience that isn't outdated by like ten years you'll basically become a head of department by walking in the door :v:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Aliginge posted:

Apply to teach games related subjects at Teesside University. Since you have current industry experience that isn't outdated by like ten years you'll basically become a head of department by walking in the door :v:

A university department in that state is the scariest loving thing I've read all night, and I've been on the SCP foundation since midnight. :eng99:

I'm gonna go back and continue writing this ipod game GDD since I have nothing better to do. This shits quite hard. I have this constant problem of poo poo tons of ideas but no idea how to get it out on paper.

Edit - I also found http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=293417

a list of Game Design anti-patterns from the Design Director at League of Legends-ville. It's quite a fascinating read.

Solus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 8, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Aliginge posted:

Do they have teachers that cover social media outlets or does that just come under marketing? :ohdear:

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Do they have teachers that cover social media outlets or does that just come under marketing? :ohdear:

Pretty sure that experience with games marketing and social media would allow you to teach parts of the Game Design and Production Management course at Abertay, going by what I've seen of it (which admittedly only extends as far as working alongside folk studying it on projects, and sharing one module on the state of the industry).

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Well then that's always a possibility in future. Good to know.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Aliginge posted:

Ha, if I lived in the UK. I've been an adjunct instructor at a local college teaching 3d modeling and I've done my fair share of "reprogramming."

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

treeboy posted:

Welcome to Austin, you're going to love it. Also, you are just around the corner from us over at Edge of Reality (literally).

AUSTIN GOON POWER or whatever.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
If there's a bunch of you Austin goons how come no one ever shows up to the GDC Online meetups? :colbert:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I'm gonna be a level builder/design intern at Raven! :toot:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Holy poo poo, congratulations, man! I'm glad something worked out for you after the Treyarch thing. And if you ask me, you got the good end of that deal :ssh:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing what those guys are working on. I think Singularity is the best game they've ever made.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Holy Hell! That's awesome man. Huge congrats!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing what those guys are working on. I think Singularity is the best game they've ever made.

I had a lot of fun playing that. The guy that interviewed me was pretty new himself so he didn't work on it. I didn't get to gush about it. We shared some frustration over Left 4 Dead versus and how my girlfriend's objection to the word arcadey was wrong because they use it all the time :3:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

GetWellGamers posted:

If there's a bunch of you Austin goons how come no one ever shows up to the GDC Online meetups? :colbert:

Maybe we're trying to be typical Austinites and spend too much time working out or going downtown?

(Yeah right)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

arcadey

It's probably just a side effect of the games I have worked on and the companies we pitch designs for, but I've used some variation of this word in probably 95 percent of the design documents I have written/proofread.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

The guy that interviewed me was pretty new himself so he didn't work on it.

Who interviewed you? Also, wander by and say "hi" to Pat Williams once you get there. Congrats. :)

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

GetWellGamers posted:

i just got here :ohdear:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Bitchin! You're basically gonna be working on Modern Warfare 3/4 then? :D

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

That's loving awesome! Congratulations dude!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

I'd get a doctor to look at that, sounds contagious.

Philosophical a/o business question for the increasing numbers of iOS folks in here. What are you thoughts on premium content pricing? On the one hand, we have indies rushing toward 99c, and then Freemium, and now F2P - but on the other, we have publishers and larger devs happily chilling at $5-$10 price points and making a killing.

Is what we're seeing simply that the budget necessary to compete at $5-$10 is above most indies, so they're forced into the lower bracket? Or do you suppose there's actually a middle tier there that indies could be competing at, if they weren't all blindly making generic puzzle games with limited value or generally rushing after "well that one guy reduced his price and saw increased sales so HOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRGH!"?
You need name recognition to get anyone to pay over 99c up front on the App Store. We've released 14 apps over 3 years and our freemium titles make 10x-50x what our best paid games ever did.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

eeenmachine posted:

You need name recognition to get anyone to pay over 99c up front on the App Store. We've released 14 apps over 3 years and our freemium titles make 10x-50x what our best paid games ever did.
EDIT: the original post here was in reply to another similar post on another thread, sigh. Excuse that please.

Anywho... the thing is, though, that you guys DO have name recognition. I'm not convinced that Pocket Frogs is a replicable success on average, and now you're building on that success. So yes, Freemium works well for you... but an unknown dev? Kinda skeptical they can draw the necessary volume.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 9, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I made a thing. I'm trying to get new cards done ahead of Develop, this is sort of a draft of the image/background for it:

My website is EscapeFromTheWaterTemple.com in case you don't know what I'm going for. Going to try to add some moss and damp, and change the textures so the guy and the door pop out more. And obviously my name and email address.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: the original post here was in reply to another similar post on another thread, sigh. Excuse that please.

Anywho... the thing is, though, that you guys DO have name recognition. I'm not convinced that Pocket Frogs is a replicable success on average, and now you're building on that success. So yes, Freemium works well for you... but an unknown dev? Kinda skeptical they can draw the necessary volume.
Are you more likely to pay a few bucks for a game from an unknown dev, or download a free app from an unknown dev?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

eeenmachine posted:

Are you more likely to pay a few bucks for a game from an unknown dev, or download a free app from an unknown dev?
It isn't that simple an analysis. Right now, there are magnitudes more free games than any one user can ever try. As that flooding grows worse, players will gravitate toward the knowns, further reducing the chances of the unknowns trying to compete. This is standard behavior in a flooded market, regardless of the price tier.

Higher priced tiers are less flooded, and a higher price implies value.

To answer your question: I am thus far more likely to try your (free / trial of a full) game if it's priced at $2.99 or higher, simply because it stands out, so long as it's supported with said decent trial, or I can find a solid trailer of it online, etc. $.99 to $2.99 is not a usefully large-enough gap for it to be a value judgement, I'm roughly as likely to buy the one as I am the other. (EDIT: But to be clear, I'm not really Tiny Towering / Frog Fiddling material anyways - I'm basically an iPad-exclusive mobile gamer that buys games with depth, to be played on the bed or in the bathroom or whatever, as opposed to someone that flips open their iPhone while waiting in a line)

EDIT: VV Heh, nah, thanks though ;) Zynga's not my speed, I'm happy enough with LEGO in terms of large stable employers, and I'd much rather go indie at this point. See how the pitching goes, try IGF, talk to the Indie Fund guys maybe, etc, who knows - things are lining up pretty well though. Biggest issue with going indie is we'd need to find a third, and that third would really need to be a solid animator, and... my one crazy good animator friend already went indie with another group, D'OH.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Shalinor - what you need to do is take the technical designer position I have open on my team and learn all you could ever want to know about this stuff and THEN go back to your own thing after a year with all the new found knowledge and your first year of vested stock!

Everyone's a winner!