Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are there mods like GZDoom for the Star Wars Dark Forces games? I just picked up the pack on Steam for $13 and wouldn't mind the nice updating of Sprites so it looks the same just in a higher resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Are there mods like GZDoom for the Star Wars Dark Forces games? I just picked up the pack on Steam for $13 and wouldn't mind the nice updating of Sprites so it looks the same just in a higher resolution.

There's a Dark Forces/Outlaws source-port nearing completion at the moment. Not quite done yet, though.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I just picked up the yellow keycard in the first level of NRFTW and :stare: :stare: :stare:

I think I'll leave this for the weekend.

And on the topic of E4M1 of Ultimate Doom, I decided to try and 100% the bastard a few weeks ago and managed it after a few dozen tries. gently caress that NIN secret up its loving rear end in a top hat, and gently caress American McGee for designing that map.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So after playing through Singularity I'm in the mood for more of an old-school FPS. I considered replaying Quake 4, then remembered I never actually finished Heretic, so I'm getting stuck in to episode 4.

I was wondering, though: are there any good high-res textures and sprites for Heretic? Googling around found some references to "Razuman's texture pack", but all the download links are dead.

I'm also wondering if there are any Q2 ports out there that support the old mission packs, as I never finished them back in the day and kind of want to while I'm in an old-school FPS mood. I used q2max to replay the original a while ago, but as far as I can tell it doesn't support the expansions.

I'm also considering trying Doom again, oh god what is happening to me :ohdear:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

ToxicFrog posted:

So after playing through Singularity I'm in the mood for more of an old-school FPS. I considered replaying Quake 4, then remembered I never actually finished Heretic, so I'm getting stuck in to episode 4.

I was wondering, though: are there any good high-res textures and sprites for Heretic? Googling around found some references to "Razuman's texture pack", but all the download links are dead.

I'm also wondering if there are any Q2 ports out there that support the old mission packs, as I never finished them back in the day and kind of want to while I'm in an old-school FPS mood. I used q2max to replay the original a while ago, but as far as I can tell it doesn't support the expansions.

KMQuake 2 is a very solid Quake 2 port with support for official expansions through it's main menu. Some of the graphical updates are quite nice too.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

ToxicFrog posted:

This thread. It brings out the best in all of us.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

While I'm asking questions - worth getting Heretic II?

Rather Dashing posted:

KMQuake 2 is a very solid Quake 2 port with support for official expansions through it's main menu. Some of the graphical updates are quite nice too.

Awesome, thank you.

Edit: man, I'd forgotten how the Tome is so much more than a simple quad damage. :black101: I AM ANNIHILATION INCARNATE :black101:

And I loving need it, because Shadow of the Serpent Riders loves throwing you into melee fights with multiple Iron Liches. :wtc:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 7, 2011

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The entire Quake series (except 4) is $7.49 today. If you're in here and don't have these games, you're really missing out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

While I'm asking questions - worth getting Heretic II?

Mind is a 3rd person shooter but is brilliant, it has a tomb raider touch, but i loved it back in the days. My retail copy isnt holding too well tho, id love to get a source port for it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

The entire Quake series (except 4)

That is the entire Quake series :smug:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Well I just bought that id Super Pack from the Steam Sale and now I'm really getting bit by the classic FPS bug. Playing Ultimate Doom is a real trip. I'm shocked at both how well the game holds up and at how much specific detail I remember from the shareware episode way back when. Everything past episode 1 will be brand new to me so I'm really looking forward to that. :)

I blasted through this thread today and didn't see much talk about Wolfenstein 3D. What's the best way to play that with modern controls? I tried out "NewWolf" and I like the fact that you can move with WASD, but I'd prefer if I could disable some of the graphical enhancement and keep the game fully integrated with Steam. I managed to get GZDoom working with the full Steam treatment so I'm hoping there's a Wolfenstein engine out there that lets me do the same.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My DooM experience was always on PC except for the first game. I did the shareware of course and know most of the levels from DooM 2 but my real experience playing that loving game? On the SNES with the red cartridge. I don't even think you were able to save so I left it on all the time. Made it somewhere in the third episode -- those were good times. :D

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Dominic White posted:

There's a Dark Forces/Outlaws source-port nearing completion at the moment. Not quite done yet, though.

Yup, I've been waiting for this to get into "beta". http://xlengine.com/

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Vintersorg posted:

My DooM experience was always on PC except for the first game. I did the shareware of course and know most of the levels from DooM 2 but my real experience playing that loving game? On the SNES with the red cartridge. I don't even think you were able to save so I left it on all the time. Made it somewhere in the third episode -- those were good times. :D
Reminds me, my first FPS period was GoldenEye*, but my first 2.5D one was Duke Nukem 64. I must have been 7 or 8 when we rented it. I couldn't get past the first level though.

*Actually though, I'm not sure if I ever played it when we rented it, I could've just watched my family play. It's possible Duke 64 was the first FPS I actually played. Turok 64 is another possibility.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 7, 2011

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

SpaceMost posted:

Anyone else here waste their childhood playing Action Quake II?

I don't think I ever had as much fun in an FPS multiplayer as I did with AQII, even if I never did learn how to strafe jump properly, or to snipe. :allears:

Oh yeah, a buddy of mine showed me AQ2 and his new $500 8MB Voodoo2 at the same time and it blew my mind. So that was it, I had to build a new computer after playing it. AQ2 was so much fun. I set up a server a few years ago and managed to hook about a dozen friends who had never played it before. I felt like that said a lot -- people choosing to play a 7-year-old game (at the time) over everything else that was available. In my book it's still one of the most entertaining mods out there.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

action quake 2 is better in every way than cs and mw and every other game ever ever copied it

This too.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
:suicide: http://youtu.be/3JnvmHU_clQ

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

All that work for nothing. :(

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought
Hey, just a heads up guys, Scoredoom is updated to 3.0.
ScoredoomST also updated to 0.97c2R5.
Bunch of gameplay enhancements & bug fixes, and add-on pack now feels closer to Doom, enemy-wise.

more here:
http://www.scoredoom.com/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:golfclap:

Is that you I faintly hear screaming "FFFUUUUCCKKK" at the end there?

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Rather Dashing posted:

I'm looking for a quake engine that can play the resurrected mission pack for quake 2 'Oblivion', since Quake2Max 0.44 opengl gets a buffer overflow now for me.
more info here:

http://tenfourmaps.telefragged.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=498148&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=175

may re-check kmquake, or put in a request with the devs, but iirc, they 'hard-code' mission pack support into their engine?

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Guillermus posted:

Mind is a 3rd person shooter but is brilliant, it has a tomb raider touch, but i loved it back in the days. My retail copy isnt holding too well tho, id love to get a source port for it.

I still have yet to play through Heretic 2, but have heard good thing about it. Co-op supported too, like many games of that era.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Doom 2 felt pretty standard at first, but it really picks up at Dead Simple. I wish Tricks and Traps had lasted a bit longer. The game basically forced me into the exit before I could explore more. Fighting a swarm of tough enemies while invincible was just great. :black101:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

:allears:

This is what Doom 3 should have been like, but with fancier graphics

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zzulu posted:

This is what Doom 3 should have been like, but with fancier graphics

This will always be Doom 3 to me:

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

SwissCM posted:

Despite buying it on XBLA, I've only ever played it on PC. I ripped it myself and made it into a little ZDoom mod, including the new medkit artwork, new intermission screen etc. Even has an episode selection!

A shame I can't distribute it :(

Yeah, there are some cool Master Levels wads out there just like that.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Hey, just a heads up guys, Scoredoom is updated to 3.0.
ScoredoomST also updated to 0.97c2R5.
Bunch of gameplay enhancements & bug fixes, and add-on pack now feels closer to Doom, enemy-wise.

more here:
http://www.scoredoom.com/

I don't think anyone in the world has as much fun with Scoredoom as I do (and the high score boards reflect that). The guy who makes it is pretty awesome, too--it started crashing after the most recent update, and he responded to my email right away to help me fix it. Thanks, BilboHicks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Purple D. Link posted:

Doom 2 felt pretty standard at first, but it really picks up at Dead Simple. I wish Tricks and Traps had lasted a bit longer. The game basically forced me into the exit before I could explore more. Fighting a swarm of tough enemies while invincible was just great. :black101:

have you tried beating Tricks and Traps with pistol start? Always a fun challenge to find the best route.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Minidust posted:

I blasted through this thread today and didn't see much talk about Wolfenstein 3D. What's the best way to play that with modern controls? I tried out "NewWolf" and I like the fact that you can move with WASD, but I'd prefer if I could disable some of the graphical enhancement and keep the game fully integrated with Steam. I managed to get GZDoom working with the full Steam treatment so I'm hoping there's a Wolfenstein engine out there that lets me do the same.

I used this to play it a while back and found it to be pretty much identical to the original game, except allowing for an automap and modern WSAD controls. It's a port of the game to GZDoom so you shouldn't have a problem getting it working with Steam :)

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I just picked up the original Quake and love the chunky, lo-fi look of the original engine. However all the WinQuake 1.0.9 default resolutions mean black bars on the sides of my widescreen monitor... anyone know of an engine that allows custom resolutions without the GLQuake renderer?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
ezQuake has a software-renderer version.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't know why I'm doing this, but after I heard that DarkPlaces supports Half-Life maps, I made it my mission to try and bash Counter-Strike 1.6 maps into playing nice with the engine.

The main problem: the textures don't work. As in, I have every required texture in the textures folder and it's just deciding not to load them in a lot of cases.

Is there something I'm missing other than the obvious "why the hell are you trying to load CS maps in a Quake engine" problem?

I've gone into resgen and made absolutely sure I had every wad the map referenced in the textures folder, so I'm assuming this is engine weirdness.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whats the best and most user friendly graphical mod for Deus EX? I remember downloading one once but forgot which one it was.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

Dammit, how do you stop AEOD from whining about saved games being unplayable due to ADS modules? I didn't have this problem until recently...

I didn't see a response to this, but just a shot in the dark: Don't use the music .pk3. I would never be able to recover saves that were made while that file was loaded.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Any zDoom code wizards here? I can't figure out a way to make it so that random weapon spawners don't continually spawn weapons on top of each other. I want it to spawn one weapon at random and then stop spawning things until that weapon gets picked up.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Whats the best and most user friendly graphical mod for Deus EX? I remember downloading one once but forgot which one it was.
This is what I use for Deus Ex. It's simple to use.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

Mak0rz posted:

:golfclap:

Is that you I faintly hear screaming "FFFUUUUCCKKK" at the end there?

No, but this made me scream "MOTHERFUCKER" as loud as humanly possible in my house at 1am: http://youtu.be/AC0p9qiGbwk

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Quirk posted:

No, but this made me scream "MOTHERFUCKER" as loud as humanly possible in my house at 1am: http://youtu.be/AC0p9qiGbwk

What is this? Brutal Doom + some custom maps? Your videos have no description.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mantle posted:

Yeah, that mod looks quite interesting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mantle posted:

Brutal Doom + the No Rest For The Living XBLA exclusive episode.

We can't link it here, but people have extracted it so it can be played on any source port. If you do find it, be warned that is extremely brutal, even on the lowest difficulty setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I like Brutal Doom for the most part but hate the fact that shooting at something directly in front of you causes splash damage. It's really obnoxious when an imp or pinkie gets in your face.