Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Happy 4th, CA! :patriot:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Doctor Zero posted:

Happy 4th, CA! :patriot:

Lookin' good there, Zero. But there ARE ample anchor spots on the bike for that flag. GET ON IT.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

That white blob on the ridge is Mount Wilson Observatory.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
:clint:: "Hey you lost or something?"

:v:: "No I'm takin a pic of this sign cause it matches the cc's of my engine."

:clint:: "Oh uh...ok then."

:v:: :v:

speakXout
Feb 27, 2003
97 Honda Shadow VLX

Just picked this up two weeks ago from a guy I work with. Had it sitting in his garage for 2 years so the carbs needed some heavy duty cleaning but got her up and running.

First bike and it's been a blast

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

:clint:: "Hey you lost or something?"

:v:: "No I'm takin a pic of this sign cause it matches the cc's of my engine."

:clint:: "Oh uh...ok then."

:v:: :v:

Is that Warren County New York? I love the Adirondacks and I'm bringing my bike to school in the fall just so I can ride there.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Deeters posted:

Is that Warren County New York? I love the Adirondacks and I'm bringing my bike to school in the fall just so I can ride there.

Nope North Jersey. Adirondacks would be quite a haul from where I am, over 5 hours highway. :(

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

speakXout posted:

97 Honda Shadow VLX

Just picked this up two weeks ago from a guy I work with. Had it sitting in his garage for 2 years so the carbs needed some heavy duty cleaning but got her up and running.

Well done. My first bike as well. The fwd controls were less than optimal for a beginner bike, but if you start with them you have no basis for comparison and get used to riding that way. And on this model, it's not as if you're splayed out like Garfield stuck to a rear window. Keep an eye on the batt terminals--I could count on that V-twin shaking them loose at least once a season, like clockwork. Oddly enough, I miss the mirrors that came with that--best ever made, as far as I'm concerned. Kickstand cutoff switch was nifty as well.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Well done. My first bike as well. The fwd controls were less than optimal for a beginner bike, but if you start with them you have no basis for comparison and get used to riding that way. And on this model, it's not as if you're splayed out like Garfield stuck to a rear window. Keep an eye on the batt terminals--I could count on that V-twin shaking them loose at least once a season, like clockwork. Oddly enough, I miss the mirrors that came with that--best ever made, as far as I'm concerned. Kickstand cutoff switch was nifty as well.

What up first-bike-Shadow buddies? Like Marv said, a great bike to start on. It never gave me any trouble. Once you get the carbs cleaned up I think you're going to have a great time with it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Gnaghi posted:

This is clearly not an MV, yet the exhaust says otherwise. :confused:

Also, give me your bike.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

speakXout posted:

97 Honda Shadow VLX

Hi five fellow Shadow VLX first time bike owner.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I also had a shadow as my first bike, way back in 99. It was horrible and I crashed it a lot, replaced the rear brake petal about three times. In retrospect, I was a really lovely rider and there may have been something wrong with the bike as well, dryrotted tires or something, cause it felt like death around any turn more then 15mph. Actually it might just have been tire pressure because I don't think I checked it ever. I really didn't know poo poo back then.

frozenphil posted:

This is clearly not an MV, yet the exhaust says otherwise. :confused:

Also, give me your bike.

I will give it to you for $6,363.63.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
This was mine:

VT600C rather than the CD shown above. With the D(eluxe) you got the bling on the motor and the cushier seat, but I actually preferred the matte/clearcoat finish on the motor. The only annoyance was that you couldn't toss the pillion as it was integrated--until 99, when I think they separated the fender too, which made customization far easier. If you check out the VLX sites, people have done some amazing mods with these.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
^^^^ my 2004 goes under the torch next weekend. Its going to get ugly and then real pretty. A post of the entire procedure will follow.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Here's mine. 2004 VT750DC if I'm remembering right. Sweet flames, right? I did my first big trip on her, from Minnesota to Pittsburgh. The windscreen was a blessing (came with it) but the bars killed me. Still, the perfect bike to have at school.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

my 2004 goes under the torch next weekend. Its going to get ugly and then real pretty. A post of the entire procedure will follow.

I can't wait to see this.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

aventari posted:

that yellow bike looks like absolute torture to ride. Bars at your knees, no wind protection, and terrible mirrors. :psyduck:

Is it that bad?

What are you even talking about? If you have a helmet, you have all the wind protection you need!

Content: just gave the Star its semi-annual wash, annual wax, new bars, and new grips. It's about as good as it's gonna look right now.

Oh and this post reminds me, I need to replace a couple bolts... the wash revealed two gone AWOL, one [of four] from the airbox and one [of six] from a side cover. Probably my fault.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?

:whatup:
The ol SV chillin at work. Had her first oil change last week, so proud. I converted to the world of two wheels in mid-april, have since put in 4k miles as a daily driver. NEVER GOING BACK.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AnimalChin posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand how anyone can put a windshield on a motorcycle.

Catch a rock with your neck @ 80mph and maybe you will.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It hurts but it isn't world-ending.

naem
May 29, 2011

:ninja:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

clutchpuck posted:

It hurts but it isn't world-ending.

What if the rock is sharp and hits your jugular?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

orthod0ks posted:

You ride sportbikes. That way you're leaned forward and the helmet protects your neck. Actually they pretty much cover it anyway.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Gnaghi posted:

You ride sportbikes. That way you're leaned forward and the helmet protects your neck. Actually they pretty much cover it anyway.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Now I'm wearing a helmet?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

orthod0ks posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Now I'm wearing a helmet?

Hmm this raises a good point. If a rock hits your helmet, it'd probably break your neck and leave you paralyzed anyway, so better off just taking the rock in the neck even if it kills you. :911:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

orthod0ks posted:

If space rocks are hitting you while you ride, we have more serious problems.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Second thing you do is get rid of the huge charcoal can strapped under the tail like an afterthought.

Yeah, I ripped out all those hoses and emissions boxes from under the seat, moved the R/R so it stopped frying my junk and ripped out the airbox for some pod filters.

Looks SO much cleaner and nicer now on my S2R.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

A Duck! posted:

Yeah, I ripped out all those hoses and emissions boxes from under the seat, moved the R/R so it stopped frying my junk and ripped out the airbox for some pod filters.

Looks SO much cleaner and nicer now on my S2R.

I'd be worried about your a/f mixture going to pods. Just a thought.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

clutchpuck posted:

If space rocks are hitting you while you ride, we have more serious problems.

I've been hit by bugs that hurt through my jacket. I'm sure there's rocks that could do some damage without leaving the planet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n8r posted:

I'd be worried about your a/f mixture going to pods. Just a thought.

not as much unless you're doing the exhaust too.

A plug chop couldn't hurt though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

orthod0ks posted:

I've been hit by bugs that hurt through my jacket. I'm sure there's rocks that could do some damage without leaving the planet.

I had to ride for 60 miles without gloves, and not only did I look absurd in full leathers with Vans and no gloves, I also copped 2 rocks to the left hand and ended up with a sunburn that ended at my wrist. Now I have a tan line on my wrists. :argh:

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I remember when I first started riding and thought gloves and helmet where acceptable precautions. I had a full tan till it got to my wrists where i promptly turned ghost white. Oh what it was to be a squid :D

Ninja edit: How did you end up with no gloves and vans??

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I guess after a while rocks and bugs stopped bothering me so much. The only time I think about em is for the 5 seconds of smart after I catch one. Except for locusts... never forget.

But seriously, windscreens are at home on Goldwings and Electra Glides. Street bikes don't need em unless it makes them look cooler.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 7, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Street bikes don't need em unless it is the new street triple.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That falls pretty square under the "makes them look cooler" clause.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Probably Hates You posted:

I remember when I first started riding and thought gloves and helmet where acceptable precautions. I had a full tan till it got to my wrists where i promptly turned ghost white. Oh what it was to be a squid :D

I remember seeing a kid once who obviously rode mountain bikes / bmx a lot with gloves with a similar problem.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gnaghi posted:

Thing looks like waspinator from beast wars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Probably Hates You posted:

Dropped off the KTM at a friend's place, left my textiles/boots/gloves there. Took the helmet with me for gokarting, but figured I'd pick up the rest of the stuff later.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Thing looks like waspinator from beast wars.

Hopefully they don't end up blown into a million parts as often as he was

Cull
Feb 20, 2005

Bear attack!
No glamour shot, but here's my Buell Lightning.

Really love this bike---so fun to ride. Only issue I've had is that it likes to eat fuel pump fuses and I have yet to figure out why. Only happens when it's really hot out.

Modifications I've done: took off the stock mirrors :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Sir.Tucker posted:

Mmmmmm. I could stare at her all day.

Great looking XJ!