Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Don't HYS only give out need, not merit, scholarships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

HYS give out scholarships like any other school. I believe more than 50% of HLS students receive scholarships.

It certainly does cost most people over 100k to attend HYS, but that's because most people are too wealthy to receive substantial need-based aid.

If my first year loans are any indication I won't be paying more than 100k.

HYS give need-based grants, not merit aid.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

HYS give need-based grants, not merit aid.

Yeah, I didn't clarify that in the way I intended to when I said "most people are too wealthy to receive substantial need-based aid." HYS give scholarships like any other school, however they don't give them out based on the same criteria as all other schools. It's only need-based. So for a variety of people, HYS cost the same as say generous scholarships at CCN, as was my case. Sticker price for HLS isn't any worse than any other T13 unless you get in-state tuition at one of the few public law schools, so there's no overwhelming reason as to why one couldn't attend HYS for under 100k, given the correct circumstances. It's just a different set of circumstances, "need."

However, "need" is extremely generous. I'm solidly middle-class but I still qualify for substantial need-based aid at HYS. There's also extremely bizarre considerations, such as the fact I have siblings in college and the fact my parents are terrible with their money

It is year by year though, so the possibility remains that the cost could be substantially higher than what I estimate it to be based on 1L scholarships.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 3, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

dos4gw posted:

I had two interviews today - the first was the final round for a local set and I think it went well but I'd been given a legal problem to discuss and even though I knew it really well, I didn't sleep at all last night because I spent the whole time paranoid that I'd missed something important or got something wrong.

By the time the first interview was over, all the coffee I drank beforehand had worn off and I was in a pretty zombie-like state on the train to my next one. The website didn't say anything about the interview process so I didn't know what to expect but was ready for the usual questions. I was waiting in the reception area waiting for my interview panel to call me in, and another guy was called in to his, looking all excited and happy. His jacket collar was sticking up a bit though, and the man who called out his name just looked at him with disgust and said, 'put down that collar' and the guy's face just sank. I couldn't help laughing but I had a feeling it'd be a pretty poo poo interview.

My interview went hilariously badly - the first question was, 'so do you know your age?' and I made a joke, saying: 'please don't tell me I got the first thing on the application wrong'. Well turns out that I'd left my date of birth blank and put my date of birth as my age - great start. He then went through my application pointing out every spelling mistake and my explanation that I'd written it in five minutes just before the deadline didn't go down very well. They asked me what my strengths were next and I spoke about being likeable and relating to clients and then I mentioned having good advocacy skills and a good mooting CV, which was ignored but somehow ten minutes later we ended up talking about mooting again and the guy banged his hand on the table and shouted, 'why didn't you mention mooting before?!' to which I explained that I had, so we argued about that for a bit.

Then we moved on to talking about my personal interests. I'd written that I like music and spend a lot of my time playing instruments. They asked what I played and I listed various things: guitar, piano, accordion etc. and it progressed to me being asked how proficient I was at each of them. I talked about having passed Grade 8 piano when I was much younger, and the guy practically had an aneurysm and started shouting some more about how I should have put this down. I explained that I didn't want to use too much of the strict word count on talking about my extra-legal interests, and then as the situation became more and more ridiculous I said that I thought it was good to 'leave an element of mystique about these things'. One of the women got annoyed and said, 'not when we have over 400 applicants it isn't' to which I pointed out that I'd been offered an interview and had obviously done something right.

I have no idea how I even got an interview there - it's the most competitive place that's offered me one by far, despite my application being full of unanswered questions and spelling mistakes. If I get through to the second round then I will laugh my head off but I don't think it's likely. After we shook hands and I said goodbye, my last words as I left the room were, 'sorry again for the spelling!' which was met with icy silence.

Anyway sorry if this is all a long stream of consciousness that might not amuse anyone else as much as it did me but it's been a long day and I found it pretty funny so there you go.

What the gently caress is this?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Hilarious.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Lawyers

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Oh, my, god. What two things are 0Ls most excited about? If you answered "Space Crime" and "Rule Against Perpetuities," you are correct.

What happens when you combine honest-to-god Space Crime and RAP in an honest-to-god real life situation?

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/157506

quote:

Moon rocks: from space to center stage in court

Posted: July 2, 2011 - 10:32 pm

<picture>

THE GIFT: President Richard M. Nixon and his wife Pat, center, present pieces of moon rock and a flag from the 1969 Apollo 11 mission to Alaska Gov. Keith Miller, right, and his wife Diana in late 1969. (Photo courtesy Nixon Presidential Library and Museum.)THE GIFT: President Richard M. Nixon and his wife Pat, center, present pieces of moon rock and a flag from the 1969 Apollo 11 mission to Alaska Gov. Keith Miller, right, and his wife Diana in late 1969. (Photo courtesy Nixon Presidential Library and Museum.)

Picture it: Apollo 11, man's first visit to the moon. The iconic 1969 cover of Life magazine with astronaut Buzz Aldrin in his bulky space suit standing on the dusty surface, Neil Armstrong reflected in his silver visor.

At some point on that trip, the astronauts scooped up some rocks to take back to Earth to be studied by geologists. Some tiny rock chunks, so small they are sometimes called "moon dust," became souvenirs, set in clear plastic and mounted on plaques. They were given to 135 countries and all 50 U.S. states, along with small flags that were also carried to the moon.

President Richard Nixon presented an Apollo 11 Goodwill Moon Rock to Alaska Gov. Keith Miller in December 1969.

Just a few years later, it vanished.

The last time anyone saw Alaska's Apollo 11 moon rock plaque, which actually contained several tiny rocks, was 1973. It was part of an exhibit, stored in a glass case at a state transportation museum on Lake Hood. The museum burned that year in a fire that was later determined to be arson.

After the fire, the moon rocks went missing.

SPACE CRIMES

Fast-forward 37 years to 2010. Joseph Gutheinz, a Texas-based attorney and retired senior special agent with NASA, was teaching a graduate class in criminology at the online University of Phoenix. He assigned his students to investigate missing moon rocks.

When Gutheinz worked for NASA, his job was to investigate space-related crime,(!!!!!) including stolen and fake space objects, he told me in a phone interview last week. Moon rocks became a fascination. Of the 370 or so moon rocks given out after the Apollo 11 and Apollo 17 moon missions, about 187 are unaccounted for, he said. Moon rocks, even tiny ones, are very valuable to collectors. Some sell on the black market for millions. The only legal sale of a moon rock, collected during an unmanned Soviet space mission, approached $450,000. That was more than 15 years ago.

"And you could barely even see it," he said.

Gutheinz chased missing moon rocks for years and led the only successful undercover moon rock sting operation, Operation Lunar Eclipse, in 1998. It recovered a missing rock, originally given to Honduras, in a vault in Florida, he said. Moon rocks are meant to be public property, displayed to help people get a better understanding of the moon.

"NASA has such reverence for moon rocks," he said.

"Nobody is allowed to keep a moon rock, not even Walter Cronkite (who was given one), not even the astronauts. They have to give them to museums."

One of Guthienz's students, a Michigan woman named Elizabeth Riker, was assigned to investigate Alaska's moon rock disappearance. She published a short piece on the missing moon rocks in Capital City Weekly in Juneau last August. Another column on the subject, written by Fairbanks Daily News-Miner columnist Dermot Cole, came out a few weeks later.

Riker lost the trail of the rock in 1971, two years before the fire. But her column started a chain of events that would eventually start to unravel the Alaska moon rock mystery.

'A NEAT SOUVENIR'

After Riker's column, the state received a mysterious public-records request from Dan Harris, a lawyer in Seattle. Harris wanted all of the state's records on the transportation museum fire in 1973.

A few months after that, in December, a legal complaint was served on the State of Alaska. Harris was representing a man named Arthur C. Anderson. Anderson had Alaska's moon rock plaque, the complaint said.

According to the complaint, Anderson was a teenager at the time of the fire in 1973. Afterward, he went into the burned-out building while some garbage crews were cleaning up.

"While he was combing through the debris, plaintiff discovered the Plaque, which was covered by a thick layer of melted materials. Plaintiff thought it was 'cool' and that he might be able to clean it up and turn it into a neat souvenir."

THE PLAQUE: Four tiny pieces of moon rock and a flag from the 1969 Apollo 11 mission presented to Alaska by President Richard M. Nixon have turned up in possession of Arthur C. Anderson, who claims he found them as a teenager at the site of a 1973 fire at the State Transportation Museum in Anchorage. Anderson, who has removed the items from Alaska, filed suit in December 2010 to be declared the owner or to be compensated for the care of the moon rocks since 1973. (Photo courtesy Daniel P. Harris)THE PLAQUE: Four tiny pieces of moon rock and a flag from the 1969 Apollo 11 mission presented to Alaska by President Richard M. Nixon have turned up in possession of Arthur C. Anderson, who claims he found them as a teenager at the site of a 1973 fire at the State Transportation Museum in Anchorage. Anderson, who has removed the items from Alaska, filed suit in December 2010 to be declared the owner or to be compensated for the care of the moon rocks since 1973. (Photo courtesy Daniel P. Harris)

And so he took it home.

"In 1973," the complaint went on, "The Plaque was widely considered not to have any real monetary value because it was assumed moon trips would soon become a nearly everyday occurrence."

The complaint said the state, by putting the plaque with the garbage, "relinquished ownership." Anderson found it and cleaned it up, and for that reason, it should be his.

Anderson wanted to be declared the official owner of the plaque, which would make it possible for him to sell it legally. If not, he wanted to be paid what it was worth.

'A LOT OF MYSTERY'

Guthienz and Riker weren't the only ones searching for Alaska's moon rocks. Alaska State Museum curator Steve Henrikson had been looking for them on and off since he was hired 21 years ago in Juneau. The story he pieced together didn't match Anderson's.

The last people to see the plaque, Henrikson said, were two museum employees who walked through the building after the fire. According to them, the moon rocks were intact, in a glass case. After that, museum staff discussed taking the plaque out of the burned-out area and putting it in a more secure part of the museum.

A few days later, a museum employee noticed it wasn't in the case. Instead there was just a clean square in the ash and dust where it had been sitting. She assumed Phil Redden, a museum curator, took it home for safe-keeping. But later, when he was asked, Redden denied it.

Shortly after the fire, the museum lost its funding and all the employees were let go, Henrikson said. That left the cleanup and inventory of the artifacts to employees in Juneau. It took them three years to go through everything. They kept expecting to find the moon rock plaque but they never did, Henrikson said.

"The museum staff didn't know who did what with it," Henrikson said. "There was just a lot of confusion around at the time, there was just a lot of mystery."

It was never reported stolen.

After the complaint was filed, Henrikson did some more digging and discovered two surprising facts. First, Arthur C. Anderson goes by Coleman Anderson. Coleman Anderson was a skipper of a Dutch Harbor fishing boat featured on the first season of Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch." Second, a man named Coleman Anderson is listed in the obituary for the transportation museum's last curator, Phil Redden. It says that Anderson was Redden's foster son.

FINDERS KEEPERS

Gutheinz, the NASA investigator, sent the Daily News a copy of the complaint. Sometimes media attention helps shake loose facts, he told me. I called Anderson's attorney, Harris, to get a better sense of it.

Harris told me that Anderson is a tugboat captain, but he would only tell me that he works somewhere in the United States. The plaque, he said, is in an undisclosed location in Asia. He confirmed that his client was also called Coleman Anderson and had been considered Redden's adoptive son or stepson.

Anderson, he said, decided to settle the issue of the plaque's ownership with the state after he read the news coverage.

The state didn't want the moon rocks, Harris said. It put them in the trash. It never reported them missing. Anderson picked them up and cared for them.

"They were in very bad condition, covered with soot and ashes. I think even some of the plastic had melted a bit," he said.

"Coleman cleaned them with, I think, toothpaste mostly."

But what was Anderson doing taking anything from the site of the fire? Wasn't that stealing?

"If Coleman Anderson stole these moon rocks," Harris said, "why would he be making this all public?"

Why not just give the plaque back?

It is Anderson's property now, Harris said, and the complaint wants a court to make it official.

"Why not give your house back to the state of Alaska?" Harris said.

Harris said that Anderson would sell the moon rocks -- back to the state, maybe in some kind of auction, at a reduced price.

"We're not going to just give them to state of Alaska for free," he said.

COLEMAN ANDERSON

The state filed a counter-claim. The statute of limitations for theft has passed. But the state's civil claim says the rocks were wrongfully taken.

"The state's position is we owned these rocks, we always owned these rocks, and we did not abandon these rocks," said Neil Slotnick, an assistant attorney general handling the case.

There is so far no trial date.

Gutheinz's students have helped find rocks that were carted home by a diplomat's son, two governors and a senator. Those were all returned. He's never encountered anyone who thought they could sell the rocks back.

"I'm going, like, this is just bizarre. The guy that took the moon rocks is suing the state," he said.

"It's the ultimate in chutzpah."

Harris sent the photo of Alaska's moon rock plaque, used as part of the evidence in the case, to me so I could see what it looks like. When our photo department looked at it, a photographer noticed a note attached to the image file. It read "Korea 6-2010."

I tracked down a man named Coleman Anderson at an address in Texas. According to a public records search the same man once lived in Dutch Harbor. I left a message on his machine.

So far I haven't heard back.

This is the most nerd-excited I've been in a long, long time.

Also, with Space-Crime-RAP filled in, I'm only one teen-pregnancy-pyramid-scheme away from filling in my whole bingo card.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 3, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That's awesome.
<---As you can see, I'm a space law enthusiast.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

dos4gw posted:

I had two interviews today - the first was the final round for a local set and I think it went well but I'd been given a legal problem to discuss and even though I knew it really well, I didn't sleep at all last night because I spent the whole time paranoid that I'd missed something important or got something wrong.

By the time the first interview was over, all the coffee I drank beforehand had worn off and I was in a pretty zombie-like state on the train to my next one. The website didn't say anything about the interview process so I didn't know what to expect but was ready for the usual questions. I was waiting in the reception area waiting for my interview panel to call me in, and another guy was called in to his, looking all excited and happy. His jacket collar was sticking up a bit though, and the man who called out his name just looked at him with disgust and said, 'put down that collar' and the guy's face just sank. I couldn't help laughing but I had a feeling it'd be a pretty poo poo interview.

My interview went hilariously badly - the first question was, 'so do you know your age?' and I made a joke, saying: 'please don't tell me I got the first thing on the application wrong'. Well turns out that I'd left my date of birth blank and put my date of birth as my age - great start. He then went through my application pointing out every spelling mistake and my explanation that I'd written it in five minutes just before the deadline didn't go down very well. They asked me what my strengths were next and I spoke about being likeable and relating to clients and then I mentioned having good advocacy skills and a good mooting CV, which was ignored but somehow ten minutes later we ended up talking about mooting again and the guy banged his hand on the table and shouted, 'why didn't you mention mooting before?!' to which I explained that I had, so we argued about that for a bit.

Then we moved on to talking about my personal interests. I'd written that I like music and spend a lot of my time playing instruments. They asked what I played and I listed various things: guitar, piano, accordion etc. and it progressed to me being asked how proficient I was at each of them. I talked about having passed Grade 8 piano when I was much younger, and the guy practically had an aneurysm and started shouting some more about how I should have put this down. I explained that I didn't want to use too much of the strict word count on talking about my extra-legal interests, and then as the situation became more and more ridiculous I said that I thought it was good to 'leave an element of mystique about these things'. One of the women got annoyed and said, 'not when we have over 400 applicants it isn't' to which I pointed out that I'd been offered an interview and had obviously done something right.

I have no idea how I even got an interview there - it's the most competitive place that's offered me one by far, despite my application being full of unanswered questions and spelling mistakes. If I get through to the second round then I will laugh my head off but I don't think it's likely. After we shook hands and I said goodbye, my last words as I left the room were, 'sorry again for the spelling!' which was met with icy silence.

Anyway sorry if this is all a long stream of consciousness that might not amuse anyone else as much as it did me but it's been a long day and I found it pretty funny so there you go.

Sounds like a great place to work. If he is beating up on interviewees, imagine how he would be as a boss. It sucks that we have raised a generation of debt slaves who are tripping over themselves to work for these sorts of toxic people.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Solomon Grundy posted:

Sounds like a great place to work. If he is beating up on interviewees, imagine how he would be as a boss. It sucks that we have raised a generation of debt slaves who are tripping over themselves to work for these sorts of toxic people.

I had a two and a half-hour interview once. Near the start I mentioned that my wife had attended an orthodox jewish high school near the attorney's office. He jerked, his eyes bugged out, and he demanded to know if I was jewish, which I'm not.

It turned out that late in life he had converted to orthodox judaism. At that point his objective turned to getting involved in my life so as to get my wife to divorce me. Most of the time was spent on a rambling digression into his life history, conversion experience, and plans for moving to Israel. He also asked me if I could bring in business (one year out of law school).

After escaping I immediately sent a 'no-thanks' e-mail. That didn't stop him from calling several times inviting me 'and your wife' to dinner.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Copernic posted:

I had a two and a half-hour interview once. Near the start I mentioned that my wife had attended an orthodox jewish high school near the attorney's office. He jerked, his eyes bugged out, and he demanded to know if I was jewish, which I'm not.

It turned out that late in life he had converted to orthodox judaism. At that point his objective turned to getting involved in my life so as to get my wife to divorce me. Most of the time was spent on a rambling digression into his life history, conversion experience, and plans for moving to Israel. He also asked me if I could bring in business (one year out of law school).

After escaping I immediately sent a 'no-thanks' e-mail. That didn't stop him from calling several times inviting me 'and your wife' to dinner.

FYI we really don't want them either :(

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Adar posted:

FYI we really don't want them either :(

Converts?

Or I would just hope well, strange sounding men like that guy.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Lemonus posted:

Converts?

Or I would just hope well, strange sounding men like that guy.

Converts are cool until they turn rabid and start sounding like Jewish Scientologists.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Adar posted:

Converts are cool until they turn rabid and start sounding like Jewish Scientologists.

Yeah, we get creeped out when people get really into Judaism. If you're that into it, you don't get it! The vast majority of Jews are somewhere on the atheist to deist range.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I haven't posted in this thread in forever - I feel bad for abandoning it.

For anyone who's taken the NY bar, or the bar in general (and took BarBri) :

Which lectures are worth watching? If I have taken the class in law school, is it worthwhile to bother with the lectures?

Also, what's a good MBE score? Barbri says 126 or something is average, but I'm operating under the assumption that I won't know state law very well, since right now I don't know any of it - can a good MBE score make up for crappy essay performance?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bathing Jesus posted:

Has anyone published an article--not a note or comment--in a journal or law review before? And if so, any advice/thoughts on the process?

I had an article published the year after I graduated that I wrote because I was bored at work and emailed the editor of a journal and said "hey, can you publish this" and he said sure.

Tacos Are Good
Jun 28, 2004
mmmmm...
What happened to the fordham loving Tulane law school student Atlas of Bugs (I think that was his name)?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Countdown to AoB appearance...2...1...

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ani posted:

I haven't posted in this thread in forever - I feel bad for abandoning it.

Fortunately if you want to catch up on the thread, you can readfast.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Elotana posted:

There's no reason to work for Kaplan if you have a score that can meet the other companies' cutoffs.

To the contrary.

Agreed Kaplan may not pay as much to start as other places, but raises come quickly if you are any good. I taught for Kaplan for almost 5 years and had a very good pay rate at the end. I also don't remember feeling over-managed. I got good reviews and they just left me alone after that.

Also it's nice to have a center with staff backing you up.

Also Kaplan does lots of stuff so it is easy to pick up more hours. I ended up teaching a few GRE classes. I trained other teachers. I presented at marketing events (bonuses for sign-ups).

The best reason to work for Kaplan now though is their "Live Online" program. You get to teach in front of a webcam at home. Really flexible hours. And for like $5/hour less than the teacher you can be a TA in an online class so you don't even have to be on camera: you just IM with students behind the scenes.

mutism
Feb 17, 2011
Just lost my B card in law, ugh.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

mutism posted:

Just lost my B card in law, ugh.

What does this mean?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I got an articling job in crim defence. I'm basically Maury Levy. :unsmith:

It pays less than my 2L RA gig

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Lilosh posted:

What does this mean?

gonna guess he got a B

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I got an articling job in crim defence. I'm basically Maury Levy. :unsmith:

It pays less than my 2L RA gig

Still better than zero (and you don't have to pay tuition anymore) - so congratulations!

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Here are some comics based on random tidbits I overheard at work and didn't bother researching (also this thread)

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

These are uniformly fantastic.

I especially like XKJD. Spot on. (I assume the caption is what the alt-text would be.)

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I got an articling job in crim defence.

Congrats, Canadian crim defence articling buddy! :hfive:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Red Bean Juice posted:

Here are some comics based on random tidbits I overheard at work and didn't bother researching (also this thread)

sweet Liefeld Captain America reference

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

srsly posted:

These are uniformly fantastic.

I especially like XKJD. Spot on. (I assume the caption is what the alt-text would be.)

He actually does caption some of his comics in plain text, I think. If I had to write an alt-text, it'd probably be about what happens when an interlocutory appeal happens on the malpractice suit.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Red Bean Juice posted:

Do you mind if I chop out one of the comics and make it my FB profile picture?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Direwolf posted:

Do you mind if I chop out one of the comics and make it my FB profile picture?

Please do! Mi animes es su animes.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red Bean Juice posted:

Please do! Mi animes es su animes.

Is that a perpetual license for all uses of your comics or a limited license to use a single frame for the purposes of a Facebook profile?

Hahaha just kidding I don't know anything about IP.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

entris posted:

Is that a perpetual license for all uses of your comics or a limited license to use a single frame for the purposes of a Facebook profile?

Hahaha just kidding I don't know anything about IP.

you mean you've never studied the landmark case Kaneda v. Tetsuoooooooo!

who the hell was teaching your school's anime law class?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Plato, can you get in the channel? I have Cook County questions.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
After getting slaughtered in docket court all this week, I've been labeled the office punching bag/whipping post by lawyers outside of my office. It's nice to know that others recognize, as a summer student, nothing regarding file progress is ever my fault. I'm simply the messenger that's getting shot. :downsgun:

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
This may be outside the scope of this thread, but I'll take a gander anyways. I'm currently applying for a legal assistant position at a local law firm. I'll obviously be helping with a myriad of tasks, but does anyone have any advice on things that I should specifically highlight in my cover letter/potential interview? I know a lot of the job is about being persistent with individuals and going through large amounts of information, but not a whole lot else.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

xcdude24 posted:

This may be outside the scope of this thread, but I'll take a gander anyways. I'm currently applying for a legal assistant position at a local law firm. I'll obviously be helping with a myriad of tasks, but does anyone have any advice on things that I should specifically highlight in my cover letter/potential interview? I know a lot of the job is about being persistent with individuals and going through large amounts of information, but not a whole lot else.

Don't use the word myriad

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

xcdude24 posted:

From having worked on the staff side of a mid-law firm:

Attention to detail; great organization skills (large projects are a plus); good communication skills; willingness to apply knowledge to adapt to new systems of organization/office procedure; an ability to see and address problems before they come to an attorney's attention so that the issue is resolved without distract the attorney; an ability to independently solve problems without constant assistance.

There are some folks who were paralegals at one point who watch this thread. They might have some more suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Nero posted:

Don't use the word myriad

Or least learn to use it correctly. The most important hiring criterion for me right now is finding someone who can scan, ocr and manipulate .pdf files with very little input from me.