Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

So I just got an Atrix, and I hated the default install. I'm still really new to all this mucking though since the only other android phone i had was a nexus one which of course is a simple assed root and easy to deal with.

So I've managed to get root done and the bootloader unlocked. Now how can install either CM7 which I've never tried, or just a stock version of gingerbread?

Also is there a way to make my phone look like another device so I can do things like netflix or video skype which officially is only supported by a limited phone list?

Go with gingerblur. At least until official gingerbread comes out and poo poo gets fun.

My "broken" phone has that on it currently. (screen shatter, yay). Its a wicked good set of software for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MeramJert posted:

It's been out for like 2 weeks already. I just did it yesterday and had no problems and I've tried out a couple custom ROMs already on mine. I even had a harder time with it since I have an Incredible S that I bought in Hong Kong, which had the exploit patched out so I had to crossgrade to a european official ROM before doing the AlphaRevX thing for S-OFF. Just follow the first post of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1137008

It worked without any problems and I've never done this before on any phone.

Unfortunately, I have an Incredible 2, which AlphaRev claims to have a root for but hasn't released it yet. Always waiting :sigh:

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Maker Of Shoes posted:

FYI Robotek uses Google's cloud back up for app data. Angry Birds doesn't though.

How would I check this? I've honestly never heard of this before, and am quite intrigued.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Just ordered a Motorola ATRIX today, can someone update me on the ROOT/Custom rom status? I had a G1 before this phone, and was able to do basically anything I wanted to it. Can you root the Atrix yet? Are there any custom roms for it? Does anyone here have the Atrix, if so how do you like it? Tips/tricks?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

godzirraRAWR posted:

How would I check this? I've honestly never heard of this before, and am quite intrigued.

The option for Google back up has to checked in Privacy. After that it's automatic after a flash. I can confirm it worked for RoboTek. I did a fresh wipe the other day and it restored my game and 100% completion just fine.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The option for Google back up has to checked in Privacy. After that it's automatic after a flash. I can confirm it worked for RoboTek. I did a fresh wipe the other day and it restored my game and 100% completion just fine.

Ah, I always have Google backup checked and my game always gets reset. Weirdness.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

Ah, I always have Google backup checked and my game always gets reset. Weirdness.

It's a new feature of RoboTek. It was part of his latest update last week, IIRC.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

scanlonman posted:

Just ordered a Motorola ATRIX today, can someone update me on the ROOT/Custom rom status? I had a G1 before this phone, and was able to do basically anything I wanted to it. Can you root the Atrix yet? Are there any custom roms for it? Does anyone here have the Atrix, if so how do you like it? Tips/tricks?

I think the Atrix bootloader has been cracked just this past week, so it may take a while to get ROMs going for it.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
Trying out other ROMs on my MT4G. I'm 100% satisfied with CM7 but the wife is extremely partial to Sense's contact linking. So I suppose I have two questions. One, is there an app that performs contact linking like Sense does?

Two, all Sense ROMs I've tried installing, on first boot, everything fucks up and force closes and the phone just reboots, only to have everything gently caress up and force close again. I have to pop the battery and run a restore back to my CM7 backup. Any ideas there? I see nothing on XDA.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just making sure here but am I safe to assume there is no root method yet for an EVO upgraded to the Gingerbread OTA?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

There's a new CM7 release out for Thunderbolt that apparently fixes some of the 4G issues. Going to try it out shortly

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Doghouse posted:

Does the 7.1 update for CM for the Nook Color come recommended? Is it as stable as the previous release? Does it have better battery life?

If you are coming from 7.0, you will get a huge improvement in battery life, since Deep Sleep is fixed and enabled in 7.1.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's a new feature of RoboTek. It was part of his latest update last week, IIRC.

I am much less confused, I wish all games used Google Backup. Especially if there is an in app purchasing system in place.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

permanoob posted:

One, is there an app that performs contact linking like Sense does?

Yes, it's called Android.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Yes, it's called Android.

While Android has the functionality, your phone and version of Facebook need to get along to do it. The Nexus S, for example, can't do it by default. I think there's a custom APK to enable it for Facebook.

That said, it also stores no link data "in the cloud", so if you do poo poo like only use first names for contacts or only have a nickname, you'll have to manually link the accounts. And every time you wipe your phone (happens a lot with rooting, not sure how much it happens regularly) you'll have to re-link them.

It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, if it weren't for the fact that the Sense version does all that meta-data in your Google contact their version would be pretty great, because it's much easier to link non-similarly named contacts too. Although for some reason, the Facebook for Sense has all my contacts except my sister. Everyone else is all linked up and everything, and even trying to do it manually, she doesn't appear in the list.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

permanoob posted:

Two, all Sense ROMs I've tried installing, on first boot, everything fucks up and force closes and the phone just reboots, only to have everything gently caress up and force close again. I have to pop the battery and run a restore back to my CM7 backup. Any ideas there? I see nothing on XDA.

Do you wipe before you install? You have to wipe if you're moving between different types of ROMS (i.e. CM to MIUI.)

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.

Godzilla07 posted:

Do you wipe before you install? You have to wipe if you're moving between different types of ROMS (i.e. CM to MIUI.)

Yeah I did a full wipe, data and cache before each install. I'll hit up the XDA threads. Obviously I'm doing something stupid and wrong. Just need to figure out what.

permanoob fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 7, 2011

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Re-reading the message they sent out last week game data is backed up to the SD card, not the Google Cloud.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Android noob here looking to perform baby's first root/ROM flash on an Inspire 4G. I keep seeing links to this XDA thread and it all sounds reasonable enough. The hack kit is 11a and just above the link there is a bugfix cmd/sh file 11b. Do I just drop that file into the rest of the 11a kit, replacing the file that comes with it? Was also looking at following the instructions on this androidforums page, seems to use the same kit and is a bit easier to read.

Main thing is I'm nervous about bricking my new phone so I want to make sure everything is backed up properly so I can restore. I see lots of things about backing up before flashing a ROM (with Titan or ClockWork), but how do I make a recovery point before I try to root? And CM7 seems to be the most popular ROM, is that a good place to start or is something more favored for the Inspire?

Tatum
Apr 24, 2003
Perhaps a silly question, but I just upgraded to 2.3 from 2.2, and I'm trying to re-root my Droid X.

My issue is with the USB Debugging setting. Before, when I was running 2.2, I'd connect my phone to my PC and see a notification "USB Debugging Enabled", or something to that effect. Now when I connect, I don't see that message. Yes, the setting is enabled in the "Development" section of the Application settings.

Is this normal?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tatum posted:

Perhaps a silly question, but I just upgraded to 2.3 from 2.2, and I'm trying to re-root my Droid X.

Is there a 2.3 root method? Why didn't you install the rooted version of 2.3? You might have to SBF back to 2.2 so you can use z4root again.

e: Yeah, it looks like you're going to have to SBF. Since that still works it seems unlikely that anyone is going to bother finding an exploit for gingerbread.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Bootloader is locked on the Droid 3. Not surprising but I think maybe some were still holding out hope.

Also the HTC Evo 3D and HTC Sensation have both been clocked to 1.7 GHz without the Kernel source. Wowza.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

Also the HTC Evo 3D and HTC Sensation have both been clocked to 1.7 GHz without the Kernel source. Wowza.
And speaking of the EVO 3D, there is a rumor that the 2.3.4 OTA will bring S-OFF. The only source I have is one of the fre3vo developers' twitter feed. (@agrabren)

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

And speaking of the EVO 3D, there is a rumor that the 2.3.4 OTA will bring S-OFF. The only source I have is one of the fre3vo developers' twitter feed. (@agrabren)

HTC's Facebook page has already confirmed S-OFF coming to Sensation (so I assume Evo 3D as well), it's just a matter of when.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

HTC's Facebook page has already confirmed S-OFF coming to Sensation (so I assume Evo 3D as well), it's just a matter of when.

Now we just need Moto to snap back into reality and remember they weren't joking around with fellow execs when they said they would unlock the bootloaders on their phones.

"Haha, sure! We'll unlock the bootloader. When Apple makes iOS open source!! AHAHAHAHAHA"

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Kazy posted:

If you are coming from 7.0, you will get a huge improvement in battery life, since Deep Sleep is fixed and enabled in 7.1.

Also the issues with dead spots on the touchscreen are fixed.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Vertigus posted:

Also the issues with dead spots on the touchscreen are fixed.

It's really weird, but I'm up to date on everything and my touch screen issues have seem to returned. I ran the Nook Screen Calibration and I think it helped out, but I know that I was having to jab at some corners more so than when I was running a nightly with an earlier kernel.

Edit: I just pulled my Nook Color out of my backpack after being in there for almost three days undisturbed, my battery is at 95%. Ballin.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 8, 2011

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Skeezy posted:

Just making sure here but am I safe to assume there is no root method yet for an EVO upgraded to the Gingerbread OTA?
No, nothing yet as far as I know.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Takes No Damage posted:

Main thing is I'm nervous about bricking my new phone so I want to make sure everything is backed up properly so I can restore. I see lots of things about backing up before flashing a ROM (with Titan or ClockWork), but how do I make a recovery point before I try to root? And CM7 seems to be the most popular ROM, is that a good place to start or is something more favored for the Inspire?

I used the One-Click Root for the Inspire back in March, but the hack kit seems to be the method of choice these days.

As far as ROMs go, I use Android Revolution which is a Sense 2.1-based ROM. I like it a lot, it's very stable and fast. There are some Sense 3.0 ROMs out there as well, I have not tried them.

CM7 is indeed very popular, I say once you've rooted, try out CM7 as well as the Sense ROMs and see what you think.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

datajosh posted:

No, nothing yet as far as I know.

I got my replacement EVO in the mail today, and opened it all excited like a kid at Christmas, and the drat thing was updated to 2.3.3 (4.24.651.1) which is totally unrootable.

Boned.

XDA say wait for after the evo 3d gets a full root and s-off, and the exploit/method will trickle down.

Its amazing how whiney I am about it, poo poo.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The CM7 RC 1.2 release for Thunderbot seems to have fixed the 3G/4G handoff here. While the handoff is a little bit slower than the stock software, it seems to be working fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

The CM7 RC 1.2 release for Thunderbot seems to have fixed the 3G/4G handoff here. While the handoff is a little bit slower than the stock software, it seems to be working fine.

Same here. Seems much better than last week's build. Gonna actually keep it on my phone this time around.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

traveling midget posted:

Part of the buyback program states that the phone being traded in had to have been active for at least 30 days -- beware.

Untrue. I am not sporting a brand new EVO 3D, and I traded in my replacement EVO 4G that I had only had for 2 days. SCORE

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

godzirraRAWR posted:

Untrue. I am not sporting a brand new EVO 3D, and I traded in my replacement EVO 4G that I had only had for 2 days. SCORE

Nice. It's in the official buyback policy, but maybe in-store can make exceptions.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Quick one - I rooted my phone a while ago, messed about with some ROMs, but went back to stock

I'm on an HTC Hero on 2.1

I've just noticed that my 'People' isn't syncing with my Google Contacts, and when I try and go into settings, htc.settings.accountsync force closes.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is happening because I uninstalled Peep, and it broke the sync. Is this right? Can I fix it?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Amphigory posted:

Quick one - I rooted my phone a while ago, messed about with some ROMs, but went back to stock

I'm on an HTC Hero on 2.1

I've just noticed that my 'People' isn't syncing with my Google Contacts, and when I try and go into settings, htc.settings.accountsync force closes.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is happening because I uninstalled Peep, and it broke the sync. Is this right? Can I fix it?

Try reflashing the stock rom. As long as your flashing the same one over the top, it'll just put everything back w/o touching the data. Of course, nandroid in case I'm wrong ;).

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Alright, I'm confused. I rooted so I could suck more energy out of my HTC Incredible's unlimited data plan (I'll get my 30 bucks worth a month, assholes!) using tethering and my laptop. But that's it. I don't have some desire to gently caress with roms yet, I just want to more efficiently use my internet.

So... what the gently caress? Wifi tethering seems to have all the documentation, but that requires custom roms. I really don't have the energy to figure out what that entails right now, is there some way to enable USB tethering on a rooted Incredible?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
What is the custom rom/kernel/dev scene like for the Charge? I am pretty sure I am going to pick up one up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Cheekio posted:

Alright, I'm confused. I rooted so I could suck more energy out of my HTC Incredible's unlimited data plan (I'll get my 30 bucks worth a month, assholes!) using tethering and my laptop. But that's it. I don't have some desire to gently caress with roms yet, I just want to more efficiently use my internet.

So... what the gently caress? Wifi tethering seems to have all the documentation, but that requires custom roms. I really don't have the energy to figure out what that entails right now, is there some way to enable USB tethering on a rooted Incredible?

You can either grab the usb tethering program, or use wireless tethering via a rom.

So here are the steps to putting a ROM on your incredible since you rooted it.

1) Download Rom Manager, buy the premium license.
2) Open rom manager, select download rom, select Cyanogenmod 7.0.3, tell it to backup your current rom and do a format and install the new rom.

And you're done and you can now enjoy built in wireless tethering, faster performance and better battery life.