Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ArtVandelay posted:

I've noticed that having really good contact doesn't really mean all that much, it's the power that really matters, so i'm not sure what this guy could do. Is he the 2nd coming of Juan Pierre?

I really have no idea. The only guy I can find who is even semi-comparable in any world I have access to is Raymond Petrick and he's not really quite the same. I don't know whether he's Juan Pierre or Ichiro or somewhere in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

I really have no idea. The only guy I can find who is even semi-comparable in any world I have access to is Raymond Petrick and he's not really quite the same. I don't know whether he's Juan Pierre or Ichiro or somewhere in between.

I don't think he's Ichiro or Ty Cobb because both of those guys had and have great power, they just chose to not use it. This guy is good for maybe 1 dinger in his entire career, I think. I think he's literally a more Juan Pierreish Petrick.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ArtVandelay posted:

I don't think he's Ichiro or Ty Cobb because both of those guys had and have great power, they just chose to not use it.

Well Ty Cobb did hit for good power relative to his league context. Ichiro doesn't - he has a career .097 ISO in a power era - so whether he chooses not to use it or not is irrelevant for the shape of his performance.

I think Rosado is going to put up more like a .050 ISO anyway so Ichiro probably isn't a good comp, but the question is what he's going to hit for average. Given the weirdness of the skills - an elite contact/eye/speed/BR/vR package with nothing else - I really have no idea what kind of a value to put on him. I almost want to sign him just to see, but that depends on the price of course.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I would absolutely sign that guy. I love ridiculous skillsets.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
At worst you'd be able to set up a Herb Washington situation with him.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I was going to say he reminds me of Raymond Petrick. Petrick hit a home run in the first game of the season against you, which was the first of his career and only the second in his life.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
The two man band league where EB and I refuse to win is pretty hilarious.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Scrotos posted:

The two man band league where EB and I refuse to win is pretty hilarious.

L10

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Made the world series :toot: Come on Addies dont fail me now.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
So, I just submitted my veteran twist team for the WISC and one guy in my league, unless he's trying to pull an okie doke with his team name, is using Darryl Strawberry for his vet, 1986 and 1996. Can you even put together a 110m pitching staff with those guys?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So check out this game from my OL team. Very first inning:

Okay, solid start for Rapid Robert, gets two outs in the first three batters. One more out and he's got himself a pretty painless first inni-

Wha-

Does this guy have his intentional walk setting at 5 or something??? Who IBB's anyone in the first inning, let alone Curtis Granderson???? Clearly my guys must make him pay.

Well done, fellas.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

AlleyViper posted:

So check out this game from my OL team. Very first inning:

Okay, solid start for Rapid Robert, gets two outs in the first three batters. One more out and he's got himself a pretty painless first inni-

Wha-

Does this guy have his intentional walk setting at 5 or something??? Who IBB's anyone in the first inning, let alone Curtis Granderson???? Clearly my guys must make him pay.

Well done, fellas.

Congrats, you've found Jim Leyland's WiS team

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15134319&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10 What a way to win game 1 of the WS.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My Two Man Band team is on another 20+ game winning streak, and has clinched the division. Silver King owns bones.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Apparently I am in the same TOC as AV and 3 ligapelota teams :suicide:

Also I am up 3-2 in the world series. I can either throw a 90 stamina 08 Addie or a fully rested Ed Summer 09 in game 7 if it gets there. Which do I use?

I got 05 Addie going in game 6 hopefully I do not even need game 7. Come on first WS championship :ohdear:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Use Addie but turn the pull rating up

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Apparently I am in the same TOC as AV and 3 ligapelota teams :suicide:

Oh god drat it there's a third ligapelota team in that ToC now?

That's my 15 Last Place Teams team so you've got nothing to worry about from me.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

to like 3? He was at 1.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I jinxed it the first time, but I don't care: My team is now on a 26 game winning streak in Two Man Band. Best record is mine, along with the best ever Cap Anson season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I noticed one team had an enormous lead in errors in my OL.

Turns out...this is what happens when you play a D/A- outfielder at SS

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

I won my first world series :woop:

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

kensei posted:

I jinxed it the first time, but I don't care: My team is now on a 26 game winning streak in Two Man Band. Best record is mine, along with the best ever Cap Anson season.
At one point I had a double digit game lead on you in the division, then you went on that ridiculous tear. That's impressive.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm finding I really don't like the 120m WISC league.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Scrotos posted:

I won my first world series :woop:

Congrats! You are now as good of an owner as me!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

At one point I had a double digit game lead on you in the division, then you went on that ridiculous tear. That's impressive.

Thanks man, I don't even know how it happened but Silver King is a beast.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I'm finding I really don't like the 120m WISC league.
I found it harder to build than the 100m league despite the simplicity of the rules. Trying to guess how other teams were going to approach it was half the trouble.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I just have a very specific way that I want to build the team and that only leaves a handful of players to use. Doing that leaves me a couple mil over the cap, though. If this were 125m I'd be golden, as is I have to decide either where I want to weaken the team or if I want to try something completely different.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

EB are roles are reversing I am collapsing and you passed me.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

King Kong goes on a rampage

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Someone in Aaron just signed this international prospect. Danny Cabrera, is that you?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Willie Mays hits two home runs in one inning, including a grand slam, as Pecota and I have quite the slobberknocker.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Up 3-2 against a cookie team with my Red Sox Rule V team in the TOC finals :ohdear:

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
My cookie team has managed to fall 3 games back from the wildcard with 19 games left. I'm currently playing something like 9 games below my expected winning percentage.

I'm never going to win an OL, am I?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Finished off my final WISC team today :slick:

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I still have the $120m team to finish, which on paper sounded like the easiest at the beginning.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've lost 9 straight and 12 of my last 13 games in RC and I still somehow am tied for the WC lead.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You should really move Oglivie off third. Move Cecil Cooper over there and put one of your OFs at first.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AlleyViper posted:

You should really move Oglivie off third. Move Cecil Cooper over there and put one of your OFs at first.

Ironically, I figured out that that was a disaster right before the huge skid, I've been playing Gorman Thomas there for pretty much the full duration of it. I'll try Cooper just because that's obviously not working.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Remember, Art played 1B Wes Parker at SS for an entire season and the results were perfectly acceptable. Cooper's a comparable fielder and 3B should be easier to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Amusingly, I did not lead the league in runs

• Locked thread