Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

Wrist control is actually pretty important in nogi grappling and mma.

Still a very strange time to practice/practise it though, in standing gi grappling.
e: Oh, you were responding to this: "I always sort of laugh inside when I imagine someone grabbing my wrist as its the go to move for hollywood hapkido but so rarely happens in real life." I get what you were getting at. Its perhaps the 'practical' version of grabbing the sleeve. Sorry niethan, I seem to press your buttons yes?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

imtheism posted:

No, and that's why no one uses them. It's pretty hard to wedge your finger into their neck or something in a way that incapacitates them from moving. It may work on someone who doesn't know how to move, but trying to pinch their armpit or something while they are putting you to sleep just isn't feasible.

Gotta disagree with you there. People use the pressure point on the inside of the knees all the time to break their opponent's closed guard, and the clump of nerves along the jawline is very popular to force your opponent's chin up for a choke. The idea that you just hit someone in a certain location and they fall down unconcious might not be practical, but people are using the pain from pressure points to open stuff up every day in every kind of grappling.

niethan posted:

Wrist control is actually pretty important in nogi grappling and mma.

You gotta get wrist control

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 7, 2011

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Gotta disagree with you there. People use the pressure point on the inside of the knees all the time to break their opponent's closed guard ...

I don't think anybody good uses that guard pass, though, it only works on new people, plus it's easily countered. There's a reason that people use structural guard passes.

Pain stuff generally only works on new people who haven't figured out the difference between stuff that hurts and stuff that's dangerous. In other words, pushing your elbows on the inside of my thighs hurts, but I'm not really in any danger, so I can put up with it. An arm-bar, I don't really have a choice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Comrade_Robot posted:

I don't think anybody good uses that guard pass, though, it only works on new people, plus it's easily countered. There's a reason that people use structural guard passes.

Pain stuff generally only works on new people who haven't figured out the difference between stuff that hurts and stuff that's dangerous. In other words, pushing your elbows on the inside of my thighs hurts, but I'm not really in any danger, so I can put up with it. An arm-bar, I don't really have a choice.

Pain from somebody pushing their elbows on the inside of your knee or something like that isn't remotely close to pain from somebody properly pushing on the pressure point on the inside of your knee with their thumb, no more than the pain from a strong cross face or something like that being comparable to a thumb being sunk into your jawline just below your ear.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
First: opening the guard puts elbow pressure on those pressure points and creates a structural problem for the guy trying to hold his legs together. It's not either/or, it's both because usually the place you get the most mechanical advantage is also the spot where their nerves are closest to the skin.

The pain thing is more an annoyance on anyone that's not a straight white belt, but it's there. That said, jabbing your thumb into a guy's legs isn't a great idea, you're just causing discomfort and opening yourself up for sweep/choke/triangles.

Nierbo posted:

I'm interested in this as a theory. Is it that a particular type of person (tough) is attracted to martial arts, or do they grow to have a high pain tolerance as they train, or is it an adrenaline thing or just a mental thing. I certainly don't have a high pain tolerance and never have but when I'm at judo I take all sorts of things in stride that I feel I wouldn't normally be able to. Perhaps telling myself that complaining will do no good makes me feel the pain less, like if I don't think about it, it won't hurt. Maybe its just 'the zone'. I'm trying not to get too abstract here. Can anyone relate?

Your pain tolerance increases from training, at least mine and my friends' did. It gets very high when you're actually active and on the mat or in the ring. The adrenaline comes in for competitions, which basically lets you get through almost anything. For example: jacare had his arm broken and finished out his match.

"Draculino" Magalhaes had a good quote: "If I can get the arm or the neck, I always go for the choke, because I've seen guys continue with broken arms, but never seen a man fight in his sleep".

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Smegmatron posted:

How bad is the arthritis and are you getting any sort of treatment for it? BJJ involves spending significant amounts of time with your body weight on your knees or shoulders. It doesn't matter if they're just weak or girly since they'll develop as you train more, but it might aggravate any a condition. If your shoulders are bad enough to keep you out of BJJ, you can definitely forget about judo.

You could probably manage tai chi even on days when your arthritis is playing up, though. If the thousand year old Chinese dudes who live across the road from me can get out and do it every morning at sparrow's fart, I'm sure you can too. Also consider yoga.

I know neither of those involve kicking, punching or pajama-hugging but they're probably going to be good for you anyway unless you're super keen on actually fighting. If you just want some sort of exercise and can't find any martial arts that suit you, swimming is an excellent physical activity for people with annoying injuries.

Nierbo posted:

It'll be very difficult to find a martial art where you won't be extensively using your knees and shoulders. I'd say all grappling is out and would recommend shotokan karate or kung fu.

Wow, thank you both for the info. The state of my arthritis is mild rheumatoid on the borderline of moderate. Usually I can move around most of the day alright, if I've moving around too much or exerting too much that's when it starts to hurt. I was told physical therapy or a martial art would help strengthen my joints and slow down the progression of the arthritis. (I was warned to avoid any sports where there would be a lot of impact on the affected joints, like gymnastics, figure skating, or track) Most of the pain is stiffness and inflamed joints that lock my knees. both knees are afflicted whereas only my right shoulder suffers.

I'll look into Kung-Fu, because it looks like it has the kind of mobility I'm looking for. I'm seeing different types of kung-fu in my area. Shaolin, Wing Lam, Chinese. What are the differences in these approaches and which do you think would be best?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nierbo posted:

I'm interested in this as a theory. Is it that a particular type of person (tough) is attracted to martial arts, or do they grow to have a high pain tolerance as they train, or is it an adrenaline thing or just a mental thing. I certainly don't have a high pain tolerance and never have but when I'm at judo I take all sorts of things in stride that I feel I wouldn't normally be able to. Perhaps telling myself that complaining will do no good makes me feel the pain less, like if I don't think about it, it won't hurt. Maybe its just 'the zone'. I'm trying not to get too abstract here. Can anyone relate?

I'm a huge pussy who cries if someone shoves hard and that certainly didn't stop me from starting martial arts. Then you get used to discomfort and pain, and in my opinion, the more you experience discomfort and pain which is only that: pain, the more you can tolerate it. Much of the "pain" your average joe suffers from, say, a sudden punch is really a scare. Have you seen what happens when someone who never had brothers to fight with or has never seen a boxing gym reacts when pushed over or punched a little? "AHHHH! WHAT HAS BEEN DONE UNTO ME! CALL THE POLICE! AND THE AMBULANCE, I'M DYING!" Even though they at most have a tiny bruise.

So, umm, what I'm saying doing martial arts gets you over the scare and slowly builds your tolerance to discomfort. It carries over to everything, I recently fooled about playing stupid drunk parkour and slipped from a stone pole bruising my thigh rather deep, you felt it through a few beers, and couldn't care less forgetting to even wince. But I remember a time in my life when a similar bruise would've had me whimpering and probably sitting down for a while.

Also my favourite personal BJJ anecdote, when I used to do it every week I had a couple of friends along and we intentionally crossfaced each other and used our arms to grind at face (maybe a shithead move but it was a mutual "it's ok") and after a while I noticed my tolerance of getting punched in the face while boxing had gone up leaps and bounds.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Guys, we can all stop going to the gym. Dana White has us covered.

UFC Personal Trainer for XBOX 360

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

Guys, we can all stop going to the gym. Dana White has us covered.

UFC Personal Trainer for XBOX 360

What, your gym doesn't let you flip tiers in the cage? loving McDojos lemme tell ya

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Nierbo posted:

Some guy at Judo a few months ago grabbed my wrist and wouldn't let go during randori when he could have easily have grabbed my sleeve instead. It didn't hurt after the first few seconds and it didn't give him any advantage over grabbing my sleeve and it sure was weird. I always wondered wtf he was doing. Maybe he saw some pressure point thing on youtube and thought he'd try it out on the local white belt.
I always sort of laugh inside when I imagine someone grabbing my wrist as its the go to move for hollywood hapkido but so rarely happens in real life.

It's a combination of everything. If you are training a live martial art, you chose to do something that you know will hurt. You get used to pain and discomfort, so you can just fight through it. Plus, adrenaline is awesome.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

AlteredAtronach posted:

Can anyone recommend any BJJ schools in hawaii? I'm just starting out with no grappling experience beyond high school wrestling. Basically all I've found so far is Egan Inoue's place, a Relson Gracie school, and (not surprisingly) a Gracie Barra academy.

I don't know how good it is, but BJ Penn has a place in Hilo. http://www.penntrainingandfitness.com

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've heard it's very good. Bj's brothers are, by all accounts, as good as him or maybe better at straight bjj and supposedly great teachers.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
plus it means you're down with da best

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Jenner posted:

Wow, thank you both for the info. The state of my arthritis is mild rheumatoid on the borderline of moderate. Usually I can move around most of the day alright, if I've moving around too much or exerting too much that's when it starts to hurt. I was told physical therapy or a martial art would help strengthen my joints and slow down the progression of the arthritis. (I was warned to avoid any sports where there would be a lot of impact on the affected joints, like gymnastics, figure skating, or track) Most of the pain is stiffness and inflamed joints that lock my knees. both knees are afflicted whereas only my right shoulder suffers.

I'll look into Kung-Fu, because it looks like it has the kind of mobility I'm looking for. I'm seeing different types of kung-fu in my area. Shaolin, Wing Lam, Chinese. What are the differences in these approaches and which do you think would be best?

I have never practised kung fu but from what I've read in this and previous threads, a shaolin kung fu academy should have a strong focus on balance and yoga related exercises but a lot of the advanced stuff is high impact. You'll have to go there and watch a class and see the sort of things they do to make a real decision on whether it suits you or not and to make sure they're not doing any crazy mystical stuff. Like kimbo said, most forms of kung fu will be hard on your knees especially with those quick springy movements. If you want to start out slower, search for yoga or qigong in your area and take a few classes and see how you cope.
Sorry to hear about your arthritis by the way. My dad has terrible arthritis in his hands and we can't weight lift together or do anything really, I hope whatever exercise you start can help.

VV Of course they aren't related. I was providing an alternative to starting kung fu. i.e. if the yoga is too much, definitely don't take the next step to trying something more taxing.
e2: many western kung fu schools do take some things from yoga though

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 8, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yoga and Kung Fu are completely unrelated. You should probably leave questions like this to people more experienced, especially when somebody's health is on the line. It's no good Sounding Knowledgeable In A Thread if somebody gets hurt from bad advice. I don't know enough about Kung Fu to weigh in on the conversation.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
woo, coming back from a nasty head cold all weekend, I ran a really great 3 mile time last night and I got my first submission tonight. Americana from mount, it was sloppy as hell, not even something I've learned yet in the class, just picked up from rolling, but hey, it works. I'm not obsessed with getting subs and beating up on people less experienced than me, but psychologically it's a great boost to know that its possible!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Crossposting this from Watch and Weight because leveling up and competing is fun, Fitocracy is a website that tracks your work outs and allows you to do competitions against others. It is heavily unbalanced towards weightlifting, but I think if we got enough martial arts goons on as a group it could be fun to get some competitions going for most mat time in a month and poo poo like that. The Watch and Weight group does monthly competition for most number of points, but unless you guys are powerlifting every day in your spare time there is no hope of competing in that.

http://ftcy.co/lAGD2X (invite link)

If anybody else is on this already, there is already a goons group, but if a few people want we can start a Martial Arts Goons group. I know it would make me work out more often if more people called me out when I hadn't logged a workout in a few days.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nierbo posted:

VV Of course they aren't related. I was providing an alternative to starting kung fu. i.e. if the yoga is too much, definitely don't take the next step to trying something more taxing.

Are you saying that the Chinese martial arts, which have existed in some form since what, 500 BC or so, have started drawing their inspiration from Yoga, which is basically the 19th century Indian-in-origin equivalent of Zumba?

edit: No wait, Pilates.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 8, 2011

AlteredAtronach
Jul 13, 2009
Is wing chun effective? Or is it just a case of techniques being diluted/hosed up by the succeeding generation to the point of being unrecognizable?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jenner posted:

Kung Fu is a catch-all term for a lot of different things. I would say you might find more variety in what is taught across "kung fu" schools than across "karate" schools. Shaolin could refer to a fairly acrobatic form, something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckWsR3Z5O5M
This is one of those taolu that the poster a few pages back was refering to.
I dunno if something like that could be good for your knees.
But, as I said, kung fu is way too broad of a term for you to automatically elect or reject any gym labeled that. Your best bet is to check it out and to double check with your doc what you'd be doing and if it'd be ok.

AlteredAtronach posted:

Is wing chun effective? Or is it just a case of techniques being diluted/hosed up by the succeeding generation to the point of being unrecognizable?

If someone were to try to fight using pure WC techniques as taught by most WC schools, it wouldn't be effective. As much as WC defenders try to deny it, the WC stance is no good for defending takedowns.
Some of the ideas for maneuvering your arms in clinch range aren't strictly bad, but are if they're not practiced in a useful way, which again, most WC schools won't.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Crossposting this from Watch and Weight because leveling up and competing is fun, Fitocracy is a website that tracks your work outs and allows you to do competitions against others. It is heavily unbalanced towards weightlifting, but I think if we got enough martial arts goons on as a group it could be fun to get some competitions going for most mat time in a month and poo poo like that. The Watch and Weight group does monthly competition for most number of points, but unless you guys are powerlifting every day in your spare time there is no hope of competing in that.

If anybody else is on this already, there is already a goons group, but if a few people want we can start a Martial Arts Goons group. I know it would make me work out more often if more people called me out when I hadn't logged a workout in a few days.

I like leveling up so I think this is a great idea. Signed up as BohemianNights. You can apparently connect it to your twitter or facebook, so signing up is really easy.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nierbo posted:

I have never practised kung fu but from what I've read in this and previous threads, a shaolin kung fu academy should have a strong focus on balance and yoga related exercises but a lot of the advanced stuff is high impact. You'll have to go there and watch a class and see the sort of things they do to make a real decision on whether it suits you or not and to make sure they're not doing any crazy mystical stuff. Like kimbo said, most forms of kung fu will be hard on your knees especially with those quick springy movements. If you want to start out slower, search for yoga or qigong in your area and take a few classes and see how you cope.
Sorry to hear about your arthritis by the way. My dad has terrible arthritis in his hands and we can't weight lift together or do anything really, I hope whatever exercise you start can help.

Nierbo,

How do you know all this poo poo if you started with judo like two months ago and just got your yellow belt.

You donīt. I donīt know it either. Do not feel the responsibility to weigh in on questions you have no relevant experience with. It happens every time. Its great that youre enthusiastic but `STFU and trainī applies to us all.

not trying to pick a fight with you (again, lol. no fighting in the fighting thread gentlemen).

Arthritis guy, seek a doctor or physiologist. Ask him to give you advice. Arthritis sounds terrible and I can wait until I get it. Preferably very long.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

AlteredAtronach posted:

The short answer is no, it's not, though it isn't because of being "diluted" or anything like that. Wing Chun itself is only like 100 years old, it's just based on some really lovely principles.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

AlteredAtronach posted:

I'm sure at one point it worked. That Yip Man guy (is that his name?) fought all kinds of people all over China back in the early 20th century, trying to promote Chinese martial arts. I think he even fought some Muay thai fighters, karateka, or western boxers and catch wrestlers. It's possible all the fights were rigged but Occams razor suggests Yip man was just a good fighter.

I don't really know, I just read some internet articles after watching that Jet lee movie.

It also probably looked a lot like every other striking style, rather than what WC looks like today. It's no coincidence that boxing Muay Thai, San Shou and Kyokushin karate have fundamentally the same mechanics. Just like how there is a hip throw and a double leg in every grappling style (that hasn't outlawed touching the legs).

"Effective" Wing Chun would be kickboxing except you can hit with any part of the body, wrist/arm control is legal, and you can clinch. Which, honestly, would be pretty neat and very practical.

Maybe some kind of Wing Chun Machida will appear and beat the poo poo out of people in MMA and lead the revolution.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 8, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I'm sure at one point it worked. That Yip Man guy (is that his name?) fought all kinds of people all over China back in the early 20th century, trying to promote Chinese martial arts. I think he even fought some Muay thai fighters, karateka, or western boxers and catch wrestlers. It's possible all the fights were rigged but Occams razor suggests Yip man was just a good fighter.

I don't really know, I just read some internet articles after watching that Jet lee movie.

It also probably looked a lot like every other striking style, rather than what WC looks like today. It's no coincidence that boxing Muay Thai, San Shou and Kyokushin karate have fundamentally the same mechanics. Just like how there is a hip throw and a double leg in every grappling style (that hasn't outlawed touching the legs).

"Effective" Wing Chun would be kickboxing except you can hit with any part of the body, wrist/arm control is legal, and you can clinch. Which, honestly, would be pretty neat and very practical.

Maybe some kind of Wing Chun Machida will appear and beat the poo poo out of people in MMA and lead the revolution.

I don't think there's actually any evidence that Ip Man traveled around China defeating all comers. Ludicrous inflation of the reputations of CMA instructors is pretty common.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Pretty much the only martial arts where there is actual documented proof of guys going around defeating all comers was Judo in the late 1800s/early 1900s and then BJJ a few generations later.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Oh, I thought there were newspapers that covered his events. Then again, I cannot read chinese so I have no idea what is actually written on those papers.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Oh, I thought there were newspapers that covered his events. Then again, I cannot read chinese so I have no idea what is actually written on those papers.

I speak Chinese, if you can find any of those articles and post them I'd actually be really interested to see them. Partly because it sounds really unusual for a newspaper to cover two guys sparring somewhere.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I thought Mas Oyama actually fought dudes and what not? Or is that another TMA lie?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I thought Mas Oyama actually fought dudes and what not? Or is that another TMA lie?

No, he did, or at least his students/other Kyokushin dudes did. He also karate chopped bulls to death in his spare time.

The thing is, Mas was a sport Karate competitor and ex-soldier who founded a martial arts organization with a clear structure, set of rules, and competitions. He also didn't do anything else all day but lift heavy rocks in the mountains and punch people, and he cross-trained in other martial arts. Yip Man was an opium-addicted degenerate policeman who opened a martial arts school to fund his drug habit.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 8, 2011

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Man, I feel like a part of my childhood was raped. Bloodsport has been on a local channel the last few days (Channel 2-2 "this" if you live in the Portland area). Since this was supposedly based on the true story of Frank Dux competing in the Kumite and winning, I decided to look up some more info on it. Turns out the whole thing was likely a fabrication. :(

Now to the reason I posted. While looking up Frank Dux it looks like he started some kind of MMA/Ninjitsu school in California. Anyone been to this or know anything about it? Is his super-awesome-secret Ninjitsu school available only to "Exceptional Law Enforcement" and Intelligence Agency personnel as loving retarded and full of poo poo as I assume it is?

I need to stop looking up the actual events based on a "true story." A while ago my brother who attends U of O had a speaker come in who claimed to be ex-CIA and the inspiration behind the movie "Taken." Turns out he did nothing he claimed and was also a total piece of poo poo.

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

Jenner posted:

For someone with your health issues that also enjoys kung fu stuff, I'd recommend starting with Tai Chi. It's very likely that one of these schools in your area offers it, and they'll probably recommend it as soon as you mention the arthritis. It's still Chinese martial arts, very low impact and really good physical and mental exercise. It looks easy even though in fact it's hard as hell; you'll need to work to get those smooth transitions between stances and the flowing movements. I tried taking a few classes and was totally humbled by 70-year-old ladies. Going slow is so difficult!

Some videos:
Monk performing a short form
Girl performing in a different style
My school's Taiji promo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Looks like at least a handful of people were interested, so I created a "Martial Arts Goons" group. Everyone should join it. Hurray for peer pressure to hit the mats.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Thoguh posted:

Pretty much the only martial arts where there is actual documented proof of guys going around defeating all comers was Judo in the late 1800s/early 1900s and then BJJ a few generations later.
I think it's pretty smart to be dubious about any kind of stories of folks going around kicking someone's rear end. Unless you can get into contact with both parties and witnesses and verify their claims...

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topic/47873-did-the-police-jiujitsujudo-challenge-matches-happen/

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Senor P. posted:

I think it's pretty smart to be dubious about any kind of stories of folks going around kicking someone's rear end. Unless you can get into contact with both parties and witnesses and verify their claims...

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topic/47873-did-the-police-jiujitsujudo-challenge-matches-happen/

Judoforum is a horrible place that no one should ever go to for anything other than links to articles and match results. In regards to my post I did have the police matches in mind but I was more thinking of guys like Kimura, where there is very real, documented evidence of his matches.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Thoguh posted:

Looks like at least a handful of people were interested, so I created a "Martial Arts Goons" group. Everyone should join it. Hurray for peer pressure to hit the mats.
I signed up, feel free to yell at me any time I haven't trained for 48 hours.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I joined. I will not win any mat time competitions though since I am limited to 3 hours a week because of knee problems.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Joined as well, but I had to search for you, thoguh, since for some reason the group wouldn't show when I was searching for it. I'm currently out with a toe injury (silly mat cracks) so it'll be a slow start for me but hopefully I'll pick it up after a week or so.

edit: bah, even my 17km of cycling today is no match for mat work!

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 9, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

You sure you're not mixing him up with Huo Yuanjia, as loosely told about in Fist of Legend and Fearless?

One guy who went around China and did the leitai challenge thing was a wrestling master. I'm inclined to believe this story only because of the skillset advantage he had over strikers and the mundane way he is said to have won (thrown people or clinched them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Signed up. But pretty much all my MA stuff is closed for the summer, so expect some lameass Starting Strength type stuff or something.

• Locked thread