Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Lou, you're a paragon of podcast humanity.

I started a tumblr for my show and also so I can create lists of dumb puns. If the idea of an undersea rap band named Marky Shark and the Monkfish Lunch sounds funny to you... deadideavalhalla.tumblr.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I decided to make myself honest, and contact a band to get rights to a theme song for Those drat Ross Kids. This is mostly motivated by the reddit talk channel.

I wrote a band called the Diablo Swing Orchestra and asked permission to use the song Balrog Boogie. The song is Creative Commons licensed, but they exclude derivative works. Here's hoping I hear back from them.

If successful, I'm going to go back into old episodes and re-export them with the new theme music. lovely, but more sustainable in the long run.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I got my podcast accepted at Radio Reddit. But now I have to edit the episodes down to 29mins. That is going to be a drag!

If anyone else is considering doing it check out the info

http://www.reddit.com/r/talkradioreddit/comments/h6alj/important_all_podcasters_and_show_hosts_involved/

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009
29 minutes?
(tips hat) Gentlemen, I'm out.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

You can do 29, 59, 89, or 119. This kind of thing must be a scheduling nightmare, for whoever is putting it together. It's a little discouraging, since one of my favorite things about podcasting (versus being on the air somewhere) is that you can let stuff breathe.

This isn't an issue for TDRK, but my video game show varies wildly from episode to episode.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

You can do 29, 59, 89, or 119. This kind of thing must be a scheduling nightmare, for whoever is putting it together. It's a little discouraging, since one of my favorite things about podcasting (versus being on the air somewhere) is that you can let stuff breathe.

This isn't an issue for TDRK, but my video game show varies wildly from episode to episode.

I was all excited for this until I saw the time requirements. Not only do we have no set episode length, my show just isn't that long! We've certainly never hit the 29 minute mark.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

My show has been hitting 29 minutes naturally for the last like 10 episodes. It must be a sign, I have to apply.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Apparently Apple silently murdered the ping feature of the iTunes store. Used to be I could click a little link and force the iTunes store to list the most recent episode. Now, all of my links just redirect to the web interface.

This really, really sucks, since iTunes only checks the feeds once per day, and my show that ostensibly releases every Friday will now come out Whenever The Hell iTunes Thinks it Should. iTunes is where the majority of my listeners come from, so this is bumming me hard.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/meet-the-podcasts-day-1/

Project Tippy Toe is the live.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
A fan of ours told us we should get on Radio Reddit but the timing wasn't right for us then, but now that I'm back from vacation I need to check it out for sure.

Apparently Apple silently murdered the ping feature of the iTunes store. Used to be I could click a little link and force the iTunes store to list the most recent episode. Now, all of my links just redirect to the web interface.

This really, really sucks, since iTunes only checks the feeds once per day, and my show that ostensibly releases every Friday will now come out Whenever The Hell iTunes Thinks it Should. iTunes is where the majority of my listeners come from, so this is bumming me hard.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Yep, this happened several months back and no amount of complaining on the official iTunes forums has done anything about it. I chalk it up to another reason Why I Hate iTunes!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/meet-the-podcasts-day-1/

Project Tippy Toe is the live.

I haven't listened to this yet. I'm afraid of intense, crushing feelings of sour grapes.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

I haven't listened to this yet. I'm afraid of intense, crushing feelings of sour grapes.

Its too early in the process for that. Besser hasn't gotten into his rear end in a top hat mode, yet. The 1st podcast on there sounds awful. Its really morning zoo feeling.

The other two are less annoying. The guys at F Plus got in on it. I was bummed about that for me but happy for them. They are nice guys. We'll see what becomes of it.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Has anybody considered buying the rights to music? It really isn't that much, I mean it's like 300 - 400 dollars. I'm considering it. PERHAPS we make the gooncast a "Network" and we chip in for the license.

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 12, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I haven't looked at the cost but are we at that point yet? How much traffic have we gotten from the banner ad so far? I think we've gotten one hit but that could have been from one of the gooncasters instead of someone drawn to the site by the ad.

I already have the square logo/ad on the Digital Porridge sidebar (it links to Gooncasts also), I don't know who else is using it.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Oh, I just checked my wiki dot and there is nothing saying I was added to the site for the gooncasts. Did I miss something?

I dunno, perhaps I'm being selfish because I use real songs and not public domain. I do however have a decent consistant monthly downloads of around 3,000. I haven't much time to really check out other people's shows, but I think I do a drat good show.

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 12, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

WedgeEC posted:

Oh, I just checked my wiki dot and there is nothing saying I was added to the site for the gooncasts. Did I miss something?

Just added you and another goon podcaster, I was on vacation for 2 weeks so wasn't checking, sorry about that!

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Just added you and another goon podcaster, I was on vacation for 2 weeks so wasn't checking, sorry about that!

Thanks! I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm excited to be a part of something good. :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I've thought about music. Since I only use it in the background, I'm encouraged by the fact that smodcast used licensed music throughout all of its first 80 or 90 episodes and they had 1000 times the subscriber base I do.

I also am open to making some music for goons as far as themes go. I like doing that.

@Lou, it's more sour grapes on my part. I'm a bit of a Marc Maron figure in that I take the success of others as an insult. I'm working on it!

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Did a shout out to the Gooncasts on the show.

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/288194/wedgeradioshow-288194-07-12-2011.mp3

Just sayin', feelin' the good company.

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009

WedgeEC posted:

PERHAPS we make the gooncast a "Network" and we chip in for the license.

That idea...that idea's got legs.

I only ever use, at most, 60 seconds of a song during my 'cast but a Goon Podcast Network would benefit everyone. I'd pitch in for something like that.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I don't know if its appropriate for the gooncast site but I made a video about how to download podcasts (specifically mine) as part of my bad tutorial series "Mac Tips"

http://www.youtube.com/robotlou#p/u/13/S1GAqSVqFY0

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

WedgeEC posted:

Did a shout out to the Gooncasts on the show.

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/288194/wedgeradioshow-288194-07-12-2011.mp3

Just sayin', feelin' the good company.

I try to do this every other show or so. I have a really good specific shout out to Those drat Ross Kids but I have had a hard time working it in.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I made an entreaty to all of the Don't Tree Riddle listeners to subscribe to Dead Idea Valhalla when we read your question response last night.

I need to crawl back through the thread to get the Gooncasts banner ads to put up on Duckfeed.tv.

Also: Some volunteers at the radio station I work at have been producing a huge comedy radio serial, and I agreed to distribute it on my site, as part of my own network. It's very hokey, but I love radio dramas and it could be a way to get more listeners. The episodes should start showing up next week.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I made an entreaty to all of the Don't Tree Riddle listeners to subscribe to Dead Idea Valhalla when we read your question response last night.

I need to crawl back through the thread to get the Gooncasts banner ads to put up on Duckfeed.tv.

Also: Some volunteers at the radio station I work at have been producing a huge comedy radio serial, and I agreed to distribute it on my site, as part of my own network. It's very hokey, but I love radio dramas and it could be a way to get more listeners. The episodes should start showing up next week.

Thanks, man. You're one of the biggest boosters of the show and I appreciate it madlly. If there is anything I can do other than mention your stuff, let me know and I'd be happy to do it.

I listened to my first Don't Tree Riddle recently (I did TDRK during workshop) and it was very good. If you ever do anything over skype and talk about old games, you should have me on. I've never done a video games show and I'd love to do it.

Edit: you guys always do skype! Silly me!

Woffle fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 14, 2011

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

The Capm posted:

I try to do this every other show or so. I have a really good specific shout out to Those drat Ross Kids but I have had a hard time working it in.

I just got on the wikidot, so I figured to and continue to, I just figure it's a courtesy, and I'm not sure when to do it in the show. Granted I got 2 hours everyday, I'd probably start the show with it, but I think it'd be cool to say that we're a part of the Gooncast Network.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
We're recording Digital Porridge today, I'll get in a shoutout for gooncasts in there. We've just recently started doing separately recorded outtros to get in the web site, twitter, facebook, etc., links, so it'll be simple to add in gooncasts.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
So, I was ditched yesterday and did 2 hours alone, I'd like some criticism.

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/288368/wedgeradioshow-288368-07-14-2011.mp3

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

WedgeEC posted:

So, I was ditched yesterday and did 2 hours alone, I'd like some criticism.

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/288368/wedgeradioshow-288368-07-14-2011.mp3

I will check it out when I get a chance. Remind me, is your show available on the Eye of Tunes?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Does anyone want to trade or have a simple show plug they can send me today? I have some dead air in my 29 minute Radio Reddit show. So if you have like a 30 second promo for your show or can make one email it to loureads at the gmail and I'll put it in.

EDIT: I AM NOW LITERALLY WAITING FOR THIS... ANYONE?

King Lou fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 15, 2011

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

King Lou posted:

Does anyone want to trade or have a simple show plug they can send me today? I have some dead air in my 29 minute Radio Reddit show. So if you have like a 30 second promo for your show or can make one email it to loureads at the gmail and I'll put it in.

EDIT: I AM NOW LITERALLY WAITING FOR THIS... ANYONE?

I could saend you something when I get home from work, or if you want a fake commercial I produced is cool with me.

And yes I'm on the eye toons.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

whats the fake commercial like? I mean if its not too over the top I could get it in there.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Run mine again! It's 30 seconds long.

Or don't. Just saying it's right there, waiting, all eager and poo poo.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The Capm posted:

Run mine again! It's 30 seconds long.

Or don't. Just saying it's right there, waiting, all eager and poo poo.

I would but I don't recall what I did with the file or how I got it from you...

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I have a time abortionist advert and a ad for a product called Defacakes.

http://wedgeradio.podomatic.com/entry/2010-12-03T22_38_51-08_00

Here is a 3 minute reel of some production. About halfway through is where there are some fake products. Feel free, anyone, to use 'em as you please, just give credit and don't pass them off as yourself. I'm mostly talking to those who might be reading this thread, but don't post.

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 16, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

uh... I'm just looking for a promotional ad selling your own podcast for 30 seconds, not fake commercials. I did a lead in for gooncasts and am promoting another gooncast specifically. Thats the idea at least.

I cannot remember where I put your file Capm

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'll email you right now. I was at work until THIS VERY MINUTE.

EDIT: I have emailed. Thanks for doing this, Lou. I mention your show with some frequency now and it will definitely get one this week.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 16, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Ok thanks. Thats what I was looking for. If anyone wants to make a concise :15 or :30 or :45 sec audio bit that describes your podcast and its angle or whatever without being OUTRAGEOUSLY ZANY or WACKY I'll be happy to trade plugs.

Something along the lines of this

Which anyone can feel free to use if they want to toss that in. Just let me know if you do. Or if you want it to not say dead idea valhalla on it....

I just made this dumbness in Songify so use that if you just want something weird

King Lou fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 16, 2011

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
I'm looking to set up a quasi-professional podcast with a friend, planning to order a nice kit of microphones and mixers. I know Audacity is the bread and butter of most editing setups, but is there any other podcast specific programs that are worth checking out? What do fellow gooncasters use to edit their programs?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

mcsnitches posted:

I'm looking to set up a quasi-professional podcast with a friend, planning to order a nice kit of microphones and mixers. I know Audacity is the bread and butter of most editing setups, but is there any other podcast specific programs that are worth checking out? What do fellow gooncasters use to edit their programs?

When I record at home I use ProTools 8LE that came with my M-Box2 Mini and an MXL88..
Looks like there there is a newer MBox Mini 3 with the newer ProTools LE included. but I don't know if its better in any way.

When I have to record at work I use Audacity and an Snowball from Blue Microphones. Audacity is a great app. Its not a great as ProTools for doing really intensive editing or effects, in my experience but for a free app it really does a great job AND does all kinds of exporting that the LE version of ProTools won't do without paying extra. I've done a lot of professional recording for clients on the Snowball & Audacity.

You can do a 2 person podcast with one good usb mic if you're close together but if you're recording two mics I believe you need a mixer. You could go with something as simple as this Alesis MultiMix 4 USB Four-Channel USB Mixer. That way you could use two XLR mics or two cheapy 1/4" mics mixed out into you computer. Obviously you can spend a whole lot more than any of these suggestions. I can't say I'd go much lower.

Mics are always going to be the big question mark. You won't know how they sound or you sound good on them until you're recording. Has anyone done any 2 USB mic recording set-ups?

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

mcsnitches posted:

Honestly, at the cheap end of the spectrum you could do a lot worse than plain ol' GarageBand. It doesn't have the flexibility of a pro editor, but it's particularly nice when you're just starting out because it includes track presets for different sorts of voices. I personally don't enjoy cutting in Audacity because it merges all the edits so I can't go back and tweak them later. On the more expensive end of things, I'm about to get a copy of Audition, and I'm looking forward to trying that out on the next episode of my show.