Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Edawg06 posted:

Honestly, I don't think that's really it. I think it's more "Oh god we are going to have this rammed down our throats for a month." The HBO Documentary is proof of this. I mean, Jeter is a fine player and full credit to him when (if!?) he reaches 3000 hits. But it's not a national event and I don't need live look-ins of every at-bat.

Why didn't anyone make a documentary of Craig Biggio's 3000 hit and as an Astros fan I am totally unbiased in that statement.

They do live look-ins on every player's big milestones. They did it for Biggio too! 3000 hits, 500 homers or whatever are national baseball events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

Because as much as it is aggravating people who watch baseball everyday the audience outside of that small group gives a lot of fucks about Derek Jeter and eats this stuff up. Same as why the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/whoever are always on Fox/ESPN/TBS.

Could it be that these things are cyclical? If all you ever get to see is SAWX YANKS then you're probably not going to become a Milwaukee fan.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
My opinion on 3000 hits is I don't care. Congrats on hitting 2200 singles

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I hope Juan Pierre reaches 3000 hits just so everyone can pine for the days of DJ3K

midwat
May 6, 2007

ESPN continues to try to justify "The Decision" as something other than incredibly cynical: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wulf-110708

ESPN posted:

To you, it was a staged announcement. To the kids who were at the Greenwich, Conn., Boys and Girls Club last July 8, it was an exciting visit to their home. To you, his choice was about maximizing fortune and fame. To them, it was his chance to play with his friends. To you, he seemed stiff, almost embarrassed when he said, "I'm going to take my talents to South Beach." To them -- once the show was over and he was asked to pose for a photograph -- LeBron James was warm and gracious.

LeBron was totally nice to some kids once! This redeems all his flaws!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Nodoze posted:

Who was your favorite Yankee growing up?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

zakharov posted:

Mariano

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

I know he stinks now, but it's crazy how much Yankee fans here have turned on Jeter.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

midwat posted:

ESPN continues to try to justify "The Decision" as something other than incredibly cynical: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wulf-110708

LeBron was totally nice to some kids once! This redeems all his flaws!

I mean, objectively, raising $3 million for charity definitely does redeem the flaw of a terrible media circus or whatever. I think the more offensive thing about this is that it's a part of a wave from ESPN trying to make a news story out of "The Decision Happened A Year Ago"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

MorningView posted:

I know he stinks now, but it's crazy how much Yankee fans here have turned on Jeter.

His contract is bad, but that doesn't change how awesome he was earlier in his career. I'll cheer his 3000th hit as loud as anyone, and I hope o be there when he goes into the Hall.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The dumbest thing about The Decision (other than the ridiculous Vitamin Water library) was that ESPN literally scooped themselves two hours before the show even aired-- they revealed that all three were going to Miami in the crawl on the 5:00 sportscenter thus ruining the entire point of The Decision and making it into The Awkward Fait Accompli.

midwat
May 6, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I mean, objectively, raising $3 million for charity definitely does redeem the flaw of a terrible media circus or whatever. I think the more offensive thing about this is that it's a part of a wave from ESPN trying to make a news story out of "The Decision Happened A Year Ago"

The donation to charity really seemed transparently cynical to me. Granted, it's good thing, but he could have done it independent of a self-aggrandizing TV special.

I do agree that it's ridiculous to note the anniversary of "The Decision."

Also, the kid having to use the haunted bathroom because LeBron was using the other one is pretty funny.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

MorningView posted:

I never loved him to the point where he could do no wrong like a lot of the crazy loons, and I really dislike him now, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good player at one time

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I thought I remembered that they didn't donate 100% of the money to charity.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

Hank Aaron hit 2300 singles.

Seriously, 3000 hits is a big deal. Jeter getting there is a big deal and would be if he were someone who spent the bulk of his career in Cincinatti or Cleveland or Colorado (poo poo, park factor!), or wherever. Sure it's dumb in the way that all round number counting things are dumb, but doing something only 27 other dudes have done is pretty cool.

If you want to get pissed off about 3000 coverage Johnny Damon has an outside shot at it (pretty unlikely, but possible), Jeter at least had a few years where he was really dominant instead of just being around or a little above league average forever.

e: I guess my point which I failed to actually say is imagine how much more pissed you would be at national coverage then for a 41 year old outfielder who would undoubtedly be crappy getting live look ins to his game in whereverthehell since he probably won't be playing for a contender. And it would happen if he ever made it that far.

VVVV -- Also very true

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 8, 2011

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

3000 hits is pretty cool, but it really doesn't say much about why Jeter was great.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The WSJ baffled me yesterday when, in addition to Damon, they included Omar Vizquel in their photo collage as a "Contender". I love Omar to death and I know he's north of 2800, but does anyone at all see him getting to 3000? he's 44, for god's sake.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
If he's playing at 44, who's to say he can't play at 45? Or 46? As long as he can move somewhat well and has the desire to play, he'll keep getting bench jobs and racking up the hits one at a time.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

midwat posted:

The donation to charity really seemed transparently cynical to me. Granted, it's good thing, but he could have done it independent of a self-aggrandizing TV special.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. My understanding is that LeBron was contacted by ESPN or whoever and only said he'd do it if the money was donated to charity. I don't get what's cynical about giving money to a charity?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Who's closest after Omar, A-Rod?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jummy posted:

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. My understanding is that LeBron was contacted by ESPN or whoever and only said he'd do it if the money was donated to charity. I don't get what's cynical about giving money to a charity?

"You know he's only doing it so he can write it off on his taxes" - Every racist relative of mine who does the same drat thing

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

Who's closest after Omar, A-Rod?

code:
Rank	Player (age)	        Hits	Bats
1.	Derek Jeter (37)	2998	R
2.	Ivan Rodriguez (39)	2842	R
3.	Omar Vizquel (44)	2831	B
4.	Alex Rodriguez (35)	2762	R
5.	Johnny Damon (37)	2662	L
6.	Manny Ramirez (39)	2574	R
7.	Chipper Jones (39)	2563	B
8.	Vladimir Guerrero (36)	2512	R
9.	Miguel Tejada (37)	2352	R
10.	Bobby Abreu (37)	2343	L

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

morestuff posted:

First, I read your original comment as mainly a response to him saying that "a cool thing is happening."

Second, what is OK to get excited about? It's fine to not care about it personally, but saying there's "literally nothing cool or interesting" about Jeter's accomplishment just sounds like you're being jaded for no reason.

In the grand scheme of things, Jeter hitting 3000 doesn't really mean anything. But someone getting excited about an arbitrary number does make some sense, as it's more or less all that sports is about.

I didn't say anything about what people are allowed to get excited about, on the contrary, DRTP was pretty much telling other people what they're allowed to NOT get excited about, and you saying I'm being "jaded for no reason" is pretty much the same thing. When I say there is nothing cool or interesting about it I'm saying that's my opinion, that should be pretty obvious, or do I have to put a disclaimer every time I post an opinion saying "You are entitled to disagree with me, please do not be offended by my disagreeing with you :shobon:"

Anyway I think it's loving dumb to debate whether it's okay to like or dislike derek jeter or his accomplishment for reason X Y or Z, it's legit to be annoyed by it and it's legit to be excited by it, I don't see why this has to turn into like "you're just being a cynical Yankee hater/spoiled Yankee fan" or whatever. Geez

Medical Sword fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 9, 2011

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
This Jeter thing sucks is because the ESPN coverage is AS PREVALENT AS A PICKPOCKET AT A ROLEX CONVENTION.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

BackInTheUSSR posted:

This Jeter thing sucks is because the ESPN coverage is AS PREVALENT AS A PICKPOCKET AT A ROLEX CONVENTION.

Thats pretty prevalent

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Barry hadn't been blacklisted in 2008 he probably would have made it to 3000 :(

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

A drat FOG posted:

Anyway I think it's loving dumb to debate whether it's okay to like or dislike derek jeter or his accomplishment for reason X Y or Z, it's legit to be annoyed by it and it's legit to be excited by it, I don't see why this has to turn into like "you're just being a cynical Yankee hater/spoiled Yankee fan" or whatever. Geez

Yeah, it was a dumb argument and I don't know why I was trying to pick a fight about it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Grozz Nuy posted:

If Barry hadn't been blacklisted in 2008 he probably would have made it to 3000 :(

He also would have had 2000 ribbies and been only the 4th in history to do that...and with a very good year he could have been the all-time Runs leader too. Barry owns.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Grittybeard posted:

but doing something only 27 other dudes have done is pretty cool.

Jeter has already done something only 27 other dudes have done. He did it 10 hits ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Who cares if it's an arbitrary mark, it's fun. Utterly arbitrary things being enjoyable to watch is like 99% of sports.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Who cares if it's an arbitrary mark, it's fun. Utterly arbitrary things being enjoyable to watch is like 99% of sports.

Truth. I enjoy seeing on-screen graphics about the 5 players with the most home runs during a night game, following a day game played on the East Coast in which more than 1500 hot dogs were sold at the concessions stand.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't like Jeter in any way shape or form, but 3000 hits is pretty good. He's also deserving of the Hall of Fame based on his numbers.

According to Fangraphs, he does have a -11.4 dWAR though, haha.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

haljordan posted:

Truth. I enjoy seeing on-screen graphics about the 5 players with the most home runs during a night game, following a day game played on the East Coast in which more than 1500 hot dogs were sold at the concessions stand.
Technically, message board posting could be construed as "microblogging," Mr. Chass.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Oh jeez.

ESPN posted:

NEW YORK -- The ball was in the air, disappearing into the kind of white clouds Norman Rockwell loved to paint, and Derek Jeter watched it the way a child watches a runaway balloon floating across a midsummer sky.

He was young again. We were all young again. After all those years of resisting temptation, of honoring the better angels of his nature, the captain of the New York Yankees had finally sold his soul to the devil.

Was this Faustian bargain worth it?

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
Why did I know that O'Connor wrote that even before I looked?

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
The ball disappeared into the white clouds of the outfield lower reserve, where the ball landed. Before then, it soared against the nimbus of some really expensive seats, which were higher than the other seats — 20,000 feet higher. This moment's grace manifested itself as if skywritten by the hand of God in puffs of white: "Baseball," against the backing firmament of "ARMITRON."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dshban posted:

Oh jeez.

... huh?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
So the Devil in this case is...George Steinbrenner or something?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no, I think we're just talking Satan here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
And A-Rod is really Mephistopheles.