Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Octavian posted:

Hate to repeat myself, but I think there's something wrong with my Evo 3D. I can't see the 3D effect, and neither can any one else I've showed it to. All I've ever seen, no matter what I angle I view it at, is the two images making the 3D composite ghosted over each other - it that what a still image is supposed to look like if the 3D isn't kicking in?

Play the Spiderman game or Green Hornet, those are well done and obviously 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Can you go into a Sprint store and see if you can see the 3D effect on the in-store phone? That will tell you if it's your phone or if you just can't see 3D.

I just wanted a little bit of confirmation since the store's not easy to get to. Besides, I don't want to sound like a raving loon when I do find the time to get out there.

And since it sounds like there's something wrong with the barrier, I think I'll have to make time for a trip out there soon.

traveling midget posted:

Play the Spiderman game or Green Hornet, those are well done and obviously 3D

Tried that, and it's the same thing as still images

Octavian fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 8, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Are you looking at it dead on from about a foot away, in landscape mode?

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Are you looking at it dead on from about a foot away, in landscape mode?

Yes, and it doesn't help. No matter how I focus my eyes, it doesn't work.

And for the record, I do wear glasses (tried it on and off) and I've never had a problem with any other form of 3d image or movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

Another random note: Nexus S sales have been killed at my store by the 3D. Beyond people just not being interested, I have had 4 exchanges in the past week from the Nexus S to the 3D. Only one had a possible phone defect, the rest were all "well, i don't know, i just don't like the phone." Quite a bummer (although not complete surprise), its going to kill me pushing the Nexus that much.

Nexus S would of been a great phone if Sprint got it when it was actually launched.

Traxx
May 5, 2005

Octavian posted:

And for the record, I do wear glasses (tried it on and off) and I've never had a problem with any other form of 3d image or movie.

Tried a reboot or a battery pull? I've had the effect stop working until I restarted a couple times. It did the double image thing but it never aligned right.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Octavian posted:

You don't have to focus your eyes. It's not a magic eye, it's a screen with a parallax barrier.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
You don't have to focus your eyes. It's not a magic eye, it's a screen with a parallax barrier.
If it's supposed to work that naturally, then there is something wrong - either with the phone or me. I must've spent nearly an hour the first day staring at 3D images that just weren't working. So,

Traxx posted:

Tried a reboot or a battery pull? I've had the effect stop working until I restarted a couple times. It did the double image thing but it never aligned right.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give that a shot.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope don't do it. Again, to repeat Sprint gave me a $80 credit for the hassle and "call back next month if you are still having problems," and I suggest you call in. I understand sometimes you get bugs, but its pretty bad and to not be able to go back to 2.2 pisses me off.

Another random note: Nexus S sales have been killed at my store by the 3D. Beyond people just not being interested, I have had 4 exchanges in the past week from the Nexus S to the 3D. Only one had a possible phone defect, the rest were all "well, i don't know, i just don't like the phone." Quite a bummer (although not complete surprise), its going to kill me pushing the Nexus that much.

I had the Nexus for a while, and really in my opinion there's no comparison between it and the 3D. The 3D has (in my opinion) better build quality, better specs, more capabilities. Hell I'd even go so far as to say the 3D has better battery life. Except for the NFC chip (or if you're one of those who enjoy the "pure" experience, whatever), I personally have no reason to have the Nexus over the 3D.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Does Sprint actually care about roaming data limitations (while tethering with pdanet)? I want to download some stuff while roaming on a Verizon tower (no sprint coverage in this area), and know that last summer I was able to happily download gigs without any issue. Does that still hold true?

edit-went back a few threads and saw other tethering discussion, time to be a guinea pig!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 8, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Octavian posted:

If it's supposed to work that naturally, then there is something wrong - either with the phone or me. I must've spent nearly an hour the first day staring at 3D images that just weren't working.
I feel your pain. I've played with demo units of multiple 3DS's and an EVO 3D and the effect just doesn't really work very well for me, either. With me, I have a tendency to see both images but poorly combined, so rather than get a neato 3D effect, I just get a headache. I've tried different angles and distances and the best I can get is a slightly less headache-inducing combination that I must hold perfectly still to maintain.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
The quality of the 3D effect really seems to depend on the quality of the video, too. A lot of the 3D videos on youtube look kind of cruddy on mine, other than that GoPro 3D video which is my go-to video for showing off the effect.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I just tried to set up Google Voice just for the voicemail to text feature. Is there a way to have it set up but not have texts go through google voice?

Edit: Ok I think I got texting working back on my phone but now I'm getting my texts in both google voice and my phone. I don't mind my texts being on google, I just don't want to be notified of them twice.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 8, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FlyingCheese posted:

I just tried to set up Google Voice just for the voicemail to text feature. Is there a way to have it set up but not have texts go through google voice?

Edit: Ok I think I got texting working back on my phone but now I'm getting my texts in both google voice and my phone. I don't mind my texts being on google, I just don't want to be notified of them twice.

Uncheck Inbox Notifications but leave Text Messages checked.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

I feel your pain. I've played with demo units of multiple 3DS's and an EVO 3D and the effect just doesn't really work very well for me, either. With me, I have a tendency to see both images but poorly combined, so rather than get a neato 3D effect, I just get a headache. I've tried different angles and distances and the best I can get is a slightly less headache-inducing combination that I must hold perfectly still to maintain.

I've played with a lot my wife's EVO 3D, and I honestly think the 3D is blah. Everything from the pictures (we did get some interesting fireworks pictures on the 4th) to video left me unimpressed. It was neat to show friends at first, but besides that worthless.

That said everything else about the phone is about perfect. I am impressed by the battery life (my EVO doesn't come close to her EVO 3D), and the thing is so smooth. It is by far the best phone on Sprint and one of the best phones on any carrier. If it wasn't for my current EVO and the fact I am sick of HTC's boring brick phone design (I want thinner and lighter), I would be all over this phone. It is a must buy for anyone who didn't pick a EVO last year.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ddogflex posted:

I've had mine since release, and mine randomly reboots itself too, has for a few months. At first I thought it was a ROM thing, but it does it on every ROM, AOSP or Sense based. Never just idling, always if I'm browsing or playing a game or something, sometimes the phone seems hot, others it doesn't. Pretty awesome.

Yeah it is really starting to piss me off.... Especially since it is summer time where I live so if I'm outside, I think the heat is making it restart as well. I have been reading where some people say they called htc and they replaced the phone for free, but they had to go without a phone for a lil while. I might try that, but it means I would have to put it back to stock

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Anyone else had their 3d completely crash and shut off after trying to use the 3d video camera?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I hope Sprint and Google are working on some more fine control for integration, like explicit settings to tell the service where you do and don't want text messages, etc. as well as just rewording and relocating some settings to make everything make a little more sense.

The voicemail to text "service" has been hilarious for me so far, if utterly useless. A single transcribed voicemail out of about a dozen that I've received since I've had the phone has been mostly accurate. Every single other voicemail that Voice has tried to transcribe has successfully picked up about 10% of the total words. I got a teary voicemail from mom and it ended up as a paragraph that read like a schizophrenic's Christmas card. The accurate one came from an 89 year old woman who... speaks... everything... very.. slowly... and... clearly.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

change my name posted:

Anyone else had their 3d completely crash and shut off after trying to use the 3d video camera?

Something happened last week when all of the sudden 3D stopped working for playback. Youtube, pics and videos I took, everything. But rebooting fixed the problem and it hasn't come back since that one time.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I found this thread on htc's website: http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/p/3707/15434.aspx

On how to re-produce the reboot issue. It seems that if the battery gets to around 100degrees Fahrenheit it will cause it to reboot.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope don't do it. Again, to repeat Sprint gave me a $80 credit for the hassle and "call back next month if you are still having problems," and I suggest you call in. I understand sometimes you get bugs, but its pretty bad and to not be able to go back to 2.2 pisses me off.

What kind of problems is the shift having? I might call and complain if there's a chance to swap for an Evo even if it is a month down the line. Custom ROM/Kernel support for the Shift is kind of a joke.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheBlackMallard posted:

What kind of problems is the shift having? I might call and complain if there's a chance to swap for an Evo even if it is a month down the line. Custom ROM/Kernel support for the Shift is kind of a joke.

2.3 is really slow and keeps crashing. App support for certain apps (twitter/facebook) is hit or miss. The big thing is the phone keeps crashing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TheBlackMallard posted:

The problem with this is that my wife loves the Shift, and would never trade it for an EVO 4G. She loves the keyboard and prefers the smaller size.

So I guess I'll just have her keep declining the update until I start to hear good news.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

brc64 posted:

The problem with this is that my wife loves the Shift, and would never trade it for an EVO 4G. She loves the keyboard and prefers the smaller size.

So I guess I'll just have her keep declining the update until I start to hear good news.

I love the size as well, I wouldn't mind it being a tad bigger, but I can live without the keyboard. I got way better battery life on the Evo thanks to decent custom kernels(which all suck for the Shift.) It's still better than the Epic though and a good phone overall.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 8, 2011

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

To offer a contrary opinion, I have a shift and love it and have had the update since it dropped. I had some problems at first, but then did a full wipe and everything was fine since then.

I don’t like the recent apps in the notification menu, but I like all the other changes and the phones feels faster and more stable, even coming from an overclocked froyo rom.

I have a slightly modified stock rom, but had the stock one as well as others and they all ran fine after the wipe. So I would try that.

The only problem I’ve heard about consistently is that the stock memory settings are too harsh, so when returning to the home screen sense will often have to reload. This is why I have a slightly modified rom, it just has more dalvik cache space, everything else is 100% stock and it’s great.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Bicarbon posted:

I don’t like the recent apps in the notification menu
This seems like one of those things that might be nice on a higher dpi screen, but a waste of space on the Shift.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bicarbon posted:

To offer a contrary opinion, I have a shift and love it and have had the update since it dropped. I had some problems at first, but then did a full wipe and everything was fine since then.

I don’t like the recent apps in the notification menu, but I like all the other changes and the phones feels faster and more stable, even coming from an overclocked froyo rom.

I have a slightly modified stock rom, but had the stock one as well as others and they all ran fine after the wipe. So I would try that.

The only problem I’ve heard about consistently is that the stock memory settings are too harsh, so when returning to the home screen sense will often have to reload. This is why I have a slightly modified rom, it just has more dalvik cache space, everything else is 100% stock and it’s great.

Weird. We tried a wipe, didn't help much. Oh well.

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

brc64 posted:

This seems like one of those things that might be nice on a higher dpi screen, but a waste of space on the Shift.
I think another poster said it as well, but since you can do the same thing with the home button, it is just redundant. And the number of apps they list make it so one is always cut off which I hate in a weird OCD way, but all in all it's no biggie.

Duckman2008 posted:

Weird. We tried a wipe, didn't help much. Oh well.
That is weird. Maybe try another wipe or downloading the update via a PC (not sure if that is possible if you are/staying 100% stock)? It could certainly just be bad luck or a bum phone, but I know I've had times where I would wipe and install a rom and have it be effed up, then repeat the seemingly same exact steps and have it work.

If you go on the Sprint and/or HTC forums you will see lots of people have problems, but it doesn't seem like a device wide issue by any means.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I would be all over this phone. It is a must buy for anyone who didn't pick a EVO last year.

It's also a pretty solid buy for anyone who has an upgrade available and an Evo they can flip for at least $150-$200 and doesn't mind going to a phone that currently lacks root.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Bicarbon posted:

I think another poster said it as well, but since you can do the same thing with the home button, it is just redundant. And the number of apps they list make it so one is always cut off which I hate in a weird OCD way, but all in all it's no biggie.

It scrolls you know (at least it does on the 3d.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My evo 3d keeps showing the voicemail icon despite me not having any. How do I get into settings to reset it? Under call settings the reset voicemail count is greyed out.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Duckman2008 posted:

2.3 is really slow and keeps crashing. App support for certain apps (twitter/facebook) is hit or miss. The big thing is the phone keeps crashing.

Is this going to get patched, or are we stuck with this until the next release?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Has anyone had an issue on the 3D where gmail would stop syncing automatically, so no email notifcations would come through unless you manually refresh it?

It's happened twice on mine, a reboot fixes it, but still kind of annoying.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

big mean giraffe posted:

It scrolls you know (at least it does on the 3d.)

It does on the shift too. It should just show 4 icons across instead of the 4.5 it does now. Half icons look sloppy and waste space.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Sab0921 posted:

Has anyone had an issue on the 3D where gmail would stop syncing automatically, so no email notifcations would come through unless you manually refresh it?

It's happened twice on mine, a reboot fixes it, but still kind of annoying.

Yeah this has been happening to me lately. Unfortunately a reboot doesn't fix it on my device. I've even tried removing the accounts and adding them again, no luck with that either.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

poxin posted:

Yeah this has been happening to me lately. Unfortunately a reboot doesn't fix it on my device. I've even tried removing the accounts and adding them again, no luck with that either.

I fixed this by unchecking "auto-sync", rebooting, then rechecking it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jerman999 posted:

Is this going to get patched, or are we stuck with this until the next release?

No idea, but I would imagine there is a fix. When the evo got 2.3 there was another update or two to fix bugs.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Thanks!

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

St. Blaize posted:

I fixed this by unchecking "auto-sync", rebooting, then rechecking it.

This fixed my problem too! Also with Gchat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
So I'm fed up with AT&T and am likely going to switch to Sprint in the near future. I hear there is a version of the Samsung Galaxy S II coming to the US (called the "Within"), but can't find if the apparent late-July release date is still going to be hit.

And actually, has anybody heard about how phone speed & reception fare between the Galaxy S II and the Evo 3D? Most reviews I've read of the 3D have been "it's good but it's not the best."