Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Mak0rz posted:

This will always be Doom 3 to me:

I always considered Painkiller to be the 'real' Doom 3, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

I always considered Painkiller to be the 'real' Doom 3, personally.

That was Doom 4 :colbert:

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
I've just bought the Quake pack from the Steam sale, I can't wait to replay them all.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

^^ Yeah, I saw that last night for a fiver and even though I already have a nice backlog of games to play I just had to grab it. I look forward to seeing what all of the hub-bub is about!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thompsons posted:

I like Brutal Doom for the most part but hate the fact that shooting at something directly in front of you causes splash damage. It's really obnoxious when an imp or pinkie gets in your face.

But it doesn't. :confused:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mr_Person posted:

But it doesn't. :confused:

It does. Try moving up next to a wall and shooting any of the bullet weapons. They all do damage to you. I can't think of any good gameplay reason for this.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

MrBims posted:

It does. Try moving up next to a wall and shooting any of the bullet weapons. They all do damage to you. I can't think of any good gameplay reason for this.

I would guess it's more intended for you to area damage groups of enemies than for you to kill yourself. I still agree that killing yourself with the plasma gun or a shotgun is stupid and annoying.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've posted a playthrough of Doom episode 1 with the 10x mod. I call it 'Decaduple Doom', even though decaduple isn't a real word.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

This is...brutal. :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The damage you take from shooting into a wall is the shrapnel flying back and hitting you, not splash damage. Try loading up MAP01 and shooting at the wall above the water outside.

Firing into enemies doesn't create these fragments, so you can point blank poo poo with the SSG all day and not get hurt.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

KozmoNaut posted:

Brutal Doom + the No Rest For The Living XBLA exclusive episode.

We can't link it here, but people have extracted it so it can be played on any source port. If you do find it, be warned that is extremely brutal, even on the lowest difficulty setting.

And I decided to play through on Ultraviolence with Fast Monsters enabled because I am an idiot.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

I want to Nightmare run this. And I've never Nightmared anything before.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Brutal Doom + Ennio Morricone Spaghetti Western playlist is the most fun I've had playing Doom in a while.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Anyone else have FPS issues with the smoke in Brutal Doom? Whenever I use the chaingun or blow up barrels, I get a serious drop in FPS.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've posted a playthrough of Doom episode 1 with the 10x mod. I call it 'Decaduple Doom', even though decaduple isn't a real word.

That seems like it would go really well with Brutal Doom.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna try out that Brutal DooM as the old game doesn't present any challenge to me. I wanna get destroyed!!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ToxicFrog posted:

That seems like it would go really well with Brutal Doom.

Brutal Doom + 10x mod + No Rest For The Living + Ultraviolence = :suicide:

I died when the Hellknights came out.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

They call it 'Knee Deep in the Dead' for a reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j59YVUETA0

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

MrBims posted:

Brutal Doom + 10x mod + No Rest For The Living + Ultraviolence = :suicide:

I died when the Hellknights came out.

I really want to try but this poor thing can't take it. I started making maps with the lowest considerable effort, they are turning out interesting. Its actually quite a surprise to me when I beat a level! http://youtu.be/6m2VlVKgIRc

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Dumb question, I know, but how did you get the HUD to be like that? I turned on the alternate hud option in Brutal Doom but it's still the same default hud.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ryuga Death posted:

Dumb question, I know, but how did you get the HUD to be like that? I turned on the alternate hud option in Brutal Doom but it's still the same default hud.
Assuming it works like a standard zDoom mod, go to your view options and make the screen larger (I think you can just press "+" with default controls). If you go one past the usual "full screen" look, it takes off the regular hud and gives you that one.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Quirk posted:

I really want to try but this poor thing can't take it. I started making maps with the lowest considerable effort, they are turning out interesting. Its actually quite a surprise to me when I beat a level! http://youtu.be/6m2VlVKgIRc
Barrel Throwing Simulator 2011 GOTY

Reive
May 21, 2009

Anyone play ZPC(Zero Population Count)?
I want to give it a try because of BRUTE!'s art style but is the game any good?
Easy to get running?

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Motherfucker, with the Brutal Doom wad my weapons are my paintbrush and demon guts are my palette. This is the coolest beans since the first time I played AEoD. Best of all, it makes the default pistol actually worth using after you find a chaingun. I love it!! Is it supposed to kill my ingame music though or am I missing something? (edit: i figured out what was wrong with the sound, nevermind it's fine now)

Quirk posted:

No, but this made me scream "MOTHERFUCKER" as loud as humanly possible in my house at 1am: http://youtu.be/AC0p9qiGbwk

Right, that does it. I want to combine these levels, this gore/rebalance wad, and your music because these things separately wreck my poo poo and will def. wreck my poo poo 20x more if combined. What I am saying is, is there a way to get hold of the music in that Youtube in a GZDoom-friendly fashion. This is a request. tia

Reive posted:

Easy to get running?

Tried getting that to work a while ago for the same reasons, no luck; the install program just straight up wouldn't co-operate with Windows 7. Apparently you're really better off just looking for videos of it anyway because it's not a good game (and the actual game portion of that video gave me a headache so it may be for the best). The intro sure is pretty though!

sharts fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 9, 2011

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I've just had a go at running Ultimate Doom with that 10x mod. gently caress me, Episode 2 is brutal. I can't wait for E4M1. If anyone's interested I'll have another crack at running a private server for it.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

Reive posted:

Easy to get running?

If the site's still up, the Underdogs has the Window's version of the game. It runs- uses the Marathon 2 engine in fact- but it's just bland. I also had a bizzare glitch when I played it on XP that wouldn't let me save.

There's about 5 textures for each episode and they repeat them endlessly (much like Marathon, natch). You have no jump but have that Marathon float and start with a rocket jump ability. An interesting concept but not worth really.

Reive
May 21, 2009

LackinPants! posted:

If the site's still up, the Underdogs has the Window's version of the game. It runs- uses the Marathon 2 engine in fact- but it's just bland. I also had a bizzare glitch when I played it on XP that wouldn't let me save.

There's about 5 textures for each episode and they repeat them endlessly (much like Marathon, natch). You have no jump but have that Marathon float and start with a rocket jump ability. An interesting concept but not worth really.

Yeah I got it running, pretty bad, yet looks so good!
I wouldn't even mind it being bland if it wasn't for the quirks of the Marathon engine and the little variety, why couldn't it just be a Doom texture mod with intermittent cutscenes?

Oh well, are there any other stylized early FPSs out there?
I know there's XIII but that's a little far beyond this thread's range.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The later levels of ZPC are better than the earlier ones, packing a larger variety of enemies and much better level design, but it's almost not worth suffering through the earlier levels to get there.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Kins posted:

The entire Quake series (except 4) is $7.49 today. If you're in here and don't have these games, you're really missing out.

bought the poo poo out of this. already having alot of fun, but i'm starting to realize there wasn't actually a whole lot of mods for Quake 2 and 3. (or that most of them were lost when PlanetQuake died) a real shame, because they have a plethora of features I think would be great to utilize.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 9, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Colon Semicolon posted:

bought the poo poo out of this. already having alot of fun, but i'm starting to realize there wasn't actually a whole lot of mods for Quake 2 and 3. (or that most of them were lost when PlanetQuake died) a real shame, because they have a plethora of features I think would be great to utilize.

I may be misunderstanding you or perhaps you meant a different site, but PlanetQuake still seems very much alive to me...

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
PQ dumped its hosted sites a while back. I believe there are a couple of sites hiding somewhere on the web that try to preserve some of that content though.

Edit:

http://www.quakewiki.net/planetquake-archives/
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/planetquake/

JLaw fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 9, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Johnny Law posted:

PQ dumped its hosted sites a while back. I believe there are a couple of sites hiding somewhere on the web that try to preserve some of that content though.

Edit:

http://www.quakewiki.net/planetquake-archives/
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/planetquake/

Aha.

Whenever I go back to a fondly remembered shooter I tend to dredge up map packs that I had already played so I suppose I never had to rely on hosted sites when I could just type the name into fileplanet/wherever. This thread has somewhat broken that unhealthy habit I'm happy to say.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Quirk, I love how gritty and classic those videos look, and I've got a friend who's been having problems with OpenGL recently. Could you copy or upload your config file?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Quirk, I love how gritty and classic those videos look, and I've got a friend who's been having problems with OpenGL recently. Could you copy or upload your config file?

He can just download original Zdoom. It's literally exactly the same as GZdoom, only without the OpenGL functionality.

Older versions of GZdoom were able to disable the OpenGL functionality in the video settings, but I'm not seeing it there anymore. It's still able to do it because I have it disabled (kept the old config file when I updated the source port).

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Older versions of GZdoom were able to disable the OpenGL functionality in the video settings, but I'm not seeing it there anymore. It's still able to do it because I have it disabled (kept the old config file when I updated the source port).
I've got the latest version of Skulltag on my PC, and it has this option. It sucks because I hate software mode, but OpenGL slows my computer down too much to be playable. I miss being able to mouselook straight up or down.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Honestly, I just think it looks great and want a separate install for when I feel like playing with low graphics. Also, it seems he just got OpenGL to work, however only in windowed mode. I have no idea what's going on as he's terrible at explaining it, but apparently he just blank screens when trying to run in OpenGL in full screen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

I've got the latest version of Skulltag on my PC, and it has this option.

Where is it found? IIRC it was under Video Settings > Render (Software/OpenGL). Not that it matters to me as my laptop can't handle OGL mode, but I'm just curious.

treat posted:

Honestly, I just think it looks great and want a separate install for when I feel like playing with low graphics.

Switch to a software render and drop the resolution to less than or equal to 640x480. Maybe disable fake contrast with that. Also Quirk seems to have the gamma correction cranked sky-high, so do that too if it floats your boat.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 10, 2011

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Where is it found? IIRC it was under Video Settings > Render (Software/OpenGL). Not that it matters to me as my laptop can't handle OGL mode, but I'm just curious.
Exactly where you described it. FYI the version of Skulltag I'm using is 98d that I got from skulltag.com, so maybe you need to upgrade your version. If not then I'm all out of ideas, I'm afraid.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

Exactly where you described it. FYI the version of Skulltag I'm using is 98d that I got from skulltag.com, so maybe you need to upgrade your version. If not then I'm all out of ideas, I'm afraid.

I'm using the latest build of GZdoom. I'm not using Skulltag and iirc it uses an older version of GZdoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Ah OK, I misread your post. Sorry about that.