Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Angiepants posted:

If Direct Hit! isn't your favorite band you're missing the gently caress out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45BJugC3txU

Did you really think this was gonna fly in a thread that knows Spraynard?

Get Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Angiepants posted:

Direct Hit! is awesome.

This is awesome.

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?
Direct Hit just bores me to death. As do Off With Their Heads. There needs to be less bands that sound like this.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
My dudes in Junior Battles just put out their record on paper+plastick, check it if you like throwbacky pop-punk.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angiepants posted:

Video isn't for Now That We're Alone, isn't as good as it could be.

e: That Alkaline Trio best-of/rerecordings album leaked. They managed to make Private Eye bad. I give up.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 9, 2011

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
hurumph

I think Off With Their Heads is better than Spraynard; haven't seen Spraynard live though.

For some reason I'm really digging the new Black Wine Summer of Indifference album. Nice mix of vocals, change of tempo in song selection and melodies.

I'm pumped to hear the upcoming Nothingtons album.......they put on a great show and have their roots down.

Edit: Yea they really hosed up Private Eye drat didn't think it could be possible

punxnbutter fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 10, 2011

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Video isn't for Now That We're Alone, isn't as good as it could be.

e: That Alkaline Trio best-of/rerecordings album leaked. They managed to make Private Eye bad. I give up.

I'm with you. That album is unnecessary and stupid. Acoustic rerecordings hardly ever pan out, with the exception of maybe reel big fish (who I don't even really like anymore), Smoke or fire, and Jeff Ott. Stupid phasey effects and echo aren't gonna make your simple pop punkish songs more engaging or endearing while played kinda sorta acoustically. They even completely buttfucked "Radio" which I always sorta considered one of their most memorable songs. "mercy me" also got a dirty scab covered fist right up the poo poo pipe.

Honestly though, I think almost like the Violent Femmes cover.

Sharon is Karen fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 10, 2011

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Angiepants posted:

I've listened to "Living Dead" every day, multiple times a day, for the past couple months, because it's super rad. I don't even know what the song is about, but my day goes sour if I don't hear it. If you don't like Direct Hit! You're a little jerk, and my inner Frank McCallister will always hate you for spilling lovely flat pepsi on rad.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

dokomoy posted:

Newb post:

I don't know anything really about punk but over the last couple of months I've heard a couple albums that I've liked and was hoping for some recommendations for similar artists as well as maybe some good/"important" albums representing different times and styles of punk.

My exposure to punk consists almost entirely of Bad Religion(I really liked Suffer, No Control and Against the Grain, but everything I've heard after that has ranged from pretty good to meh) Rise Against(I liked there first two albums a bunch, but I wasn't thrilled with anything after Siren Songs of the Counter Culture) and I've listened to bits and pieces of other bands(Anti Flag, Pennywise, The Descendants) and mostly liked what I've heard.

Thanks

Try a little bit a:

Face to Face - Don't Turn Away
NOFX - Heavy Petting Zoo
Fat Wreck's Punk-O-Rama 2 is a pretty kick rear end comp...
Screeching Weasel - Television City Dream (I have every album from them.. this one gets poo poo on a lot but strangely its the one I can listen to the whole way without hating any song, otherwise.. maybe My Brain Hurts is the next choice)
Jawbreaker - Dear You so you can say you listen to Jawbreaker

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 10, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
For Jawbreaker skip Dear You and go straight to Unfun or 24 Hour Revenge Therapy.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

rivals posted:

For Jawbreaker skip Dear You and go straight to Unfun or 24 Hour Revenge Therapy.

And then go back to Dear You because it's awesome too. :colbert:

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Then listen to Bivuoac because it's their absolute best.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008
Then listen to "Mush" by Leatherface, because it's better than all those albums.

coldlight66
Jul 3, 2009
Am I a racist? Yeah maybe, but I call it like I ignorantly perceive it.

Sharon is Karen posted:

They even completely buttfucked "Radio" which I always sorta considered one of their most memorable songs.

Honestly though, I think almost like the Violent Femmes cover.

How did they ruin "Radio" gently caress that!, Although to be honest I prefer the Hot Water Music covers of "Radio" and "Bleeder" to the original.

I guess it's sort of related to this thread, but I just listened to the preview for Brian Fallon's new project the horrible crowe's and I'm excited to see how that turns out, but I'm a huge whore for anything he does.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Sharon is Karen posted:

Then listen to "Mush" by Leatherface, because it's better than all those albums.

This is the best advice.

On another note, are there any Sidekicks fans in here? Am I the only one that didn't know they had a split coming out this month with Tigers Jaw?

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Listening to Alkaline Trio after they released Good Mourning is loving pointless. Youre just going to be let down every time.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Listening to Alkaline Trio after they released Good Mourning is loving pointless. Youre just going to be let down every time.

I still have a soft spot for Crimson but you're pretty much right; the self titled comp is their best release by far though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the topic of Jawbreaker, I'm finally starting to get into them (Bivouac is great), but I still say the first two Jets to Brazil albums are better than anything they ever did.

*ducks*

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
God drat am I ever loving the new Basement album.. Check out a few tracks here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Basement/149200562988 , since as far as I can tell, on Myspace there are only demo versions of song off of it.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
So I've never really bothered with this part of the forums before and I guess its the place to ask for recommendations... I've been into punk for ages but I've kind of lost track ever since I stopped playing in a band and stopped regularly hanging out with people in the local scene over the last few years. gently caress I hate punk scenes. Anyway, I haven't really got into many new bands over the last 5 years or so, apart from hearing about new albums that old favourites have released, and the bands I have gotten into the last few years aren't even punk.

I would love to hear some recommendations of some just straight up fast punk rock and I also like my hardcore old style I guess, without all the weak harmonies and poo poo.

Here's a quick list of bands I dig which may help: Kid Dynamite, None More Black, Bad Brains, Propagandhi, Bronx, Hot Water Music, Tragedy, Bad Religion, Municipal Waste, Poison Idea, Satanic Surfers, A Wilhelm Scream, Dillinger 4, MXPX (I don't understand why I started listening to them again).

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
House Boat, The Dopamines, Dear Landlord, Chinese Telephones, Dan Padilla, Off With Their Heads.

If you go back a couple pages there are tons of recommendations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Steinways. Always the Steinways. Have I posted them playing Dear Girl at that house show lately? Mikey Erg's there. Hallie from the Unlovables sings the girl part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGErrsyqxo

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Spraynard :colbert:

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?
If you like Hot Water Music and A Wilhelm Scream, you'll probably enjoy Make Do And Mend.

Also, The Menzingers. It's not possible to not like The Menzingers.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

I don't like the Menzingers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress the Menzingers.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Heard the new Direct Hit. I think I like the older recording of Snicker or Reese's better :smith:

Dickeye posted:

Steinways. Always the Steinways. Have I posted them playing Dear Girl at that house show lately? Mikey Erg's there. Hallie from the Unlovables sings the girl part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGErrsyqxo

I love the Here She Comes cover from that show.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 15, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheBlackMallard posted:

Heard the new Direct Hit. I think I like the older recording of Snicker or Reese's better :smith:

I love the Here She Comes cover from that show.

What a coincidence! I have that bookmarked too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fPN-IYwGk4

I miss the Steinways. House Boat is awesome but it's missing a lot of the silliness of the Steinways. Are You Into Metal is the only really silly song off Delaware Octopus.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I can't recommend Joyce Manor's debut enough. They sound like a punk version of early Weezer. I love that loving album.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Joyce Manor LP is backed. I can't stop spinning it. Also try Hostage Calm.

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?

TheBlackMallard posted:

I don't like the Menzingers.

Dickeye posted:

gently caress the Menzingers.

That guy should ignore your recommendations then. You both are clearly devoid of good taste (as if liking OWTH was not enough!).

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Our recommendations are amazing and the Mezingers suck balls. If you want a good band out of PA listen to The Holy Mess.

Listened to Domesplitter a few more times. The music is a lot better but the vocals are a little Shevchuk-ish on a couple tracks and I don't think it works, maybe it'll grow on me. Still a great album though.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 15, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Saddr Weirdr posted:

That guy should ignore your recommendations then. You both are clearly devoid of good taste (as if liking OWTH was not enough!).

Are you saying that dude shouldn't listen to House Boat or the Steinways because shame on you.

And the first OWTH EP, Hospitals, is pretty baller.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Captain Matchbox posted:

So I've never really bothered with this part of the forums before and I guess its the place to ask for recommendations... I've been into punk for ages but I've kind of lost track ever since I stopped playing in a band and stopped regularly hanging out with people in the local scene over the last few years. gently caress I hate punk scenes. Anyway, I haven't really got into many new bands over the last 5 years or so, apart from hearing about new albums that old favourites have released, and the bands I have gotten into the last few years aren't even punk.

I would love to hear some recommendations of some just straight up fast punk rock and I also like my hardcore old style I guess, without all the weak harmonies and poo poo.

Here's a quick list of bands I dig which may help: Kid Dynamite, None More Black, Bad Brains, Propagandhi, Bronx, Hot Water Music, Tragedy, Bad Religion, Municipal Waste, Poison Idea, Satanic Surfers, A Wilhelm Scream, Dillinger 4, MXPX (I don't understand why I started listening to them again).

How about some recommendations that aren't all horrible pop punk:

Current:
Night Fever (from Copenhagen not US Night Fever)
Double Negative
Vaaska
Deskonocidos
Red Dons
Homostupids

Old:
Kafka Prosess (post Svart Framtid, criminally underappreciated)
Zero Boys
Eskorbuto
Battalion Of Saints
The Clitboys
The Dwarves

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

answersyouseek posted:

How about some recommendations that aren't all horrible pop punk:

Current:
Night Fever (from Copenhagen not US Night Fever)
Double Negative
Vaaska
Deskonocidos
Red Dons
Homostupids

Old:
Kafka Prosess (post Svart Framtid, criminally underappreciated)
Zero Boys
Eskorbuto
Battalion Of Saints
The Clitboys
The Dwarves

The Dwarves are still current, dammit!

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Ferrule posted:

The Dwarves are still current, dammit!

But they haven't put out anything worth listening to in years.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Sampler of new Circle Takes the Square

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twdmykzcp8Q&feature=player_embedded

Pretty excited.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

answersyouseek posted:

But they haven't put out anything worth listening to in years.

Born Again came out this year and it's pretty incredible, and Come Clean is still great.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
After Inspector_71's recommendation of the Touche Amore album in the "Best of 2011" thread I've become obsessed with them. They're so loving good, first heard of them on their split with La Dispute, but I started checking out all their other stuff and it's pretty drat great. Are there any other bands that sound like them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :3: