Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wow, if you looked up "trying too hard" in the dictionary, I'm pretty sure you'd find a picture of Time Cruisers. I'd never seen those sets before, they're pretty garish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Travis343 posted:

Wow, if you looked up "trying too hard" in the dictionary, I'm pretty sure you'd find a picture of Time Cruisers. I'd never seen those sets before, they're pretty garish.
These were the dark days of LEGO, back when they were falling fast into bankruptcy.

It seems silly to think about it now, but they very nearly did go bankrupt in the early 2000's.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I bought one of the Time Ships when I was a kid, It had a great crazy look to it and it came attached to a really cool purple Lego shaped bin to store all my loose Legos in.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
OH CRAP I had the Mystic Mountain Time Lab too! Best sets ever :allears:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Time Cruisers was basically the stuff a kid would make if he had a half dozen sets from completely disparate themes, so it's either a twee homage to that or just incredibly contrived and desperate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was going to say, they look like they let a whole bunch of kids loose in the design lab. Ridiculous and fun.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I never thought I'd see a Lego Breaking Bad project:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
This Porsche 911 just popped up on Jalopnik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnGj4wxsNZY
It's fairly impressive.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

einTier posted:

It's fairly impressive.

I can't even begin to imagine how he fit all those functions into a car of that scale. :psyduck:
I mean, lights, electric motor for the roof, a 7 steps gearbox, functioning brake discs?!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

benito posted:

Oh balls, he did a Batcave and STARCOM :monocle:

EDIT: Ah, that Porsche. My brother and I watched the vid yesterday. Unreal. He even got the weight ratio down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Guzwar posted:

Oh balls, he did a Batcave and STARCOM :monocle:

All the working M.A.S.K. stuff is blowing my mind.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
If this should really be in SA mart somebody tell me, but I thought since this is the Lego-holic thread I'd try here first.

Would anyone here want a "The Batboat: Hunt for Killer Croc" set#7780?

It is complete with both mini-figs and all weapons, instructions and box as well as all 187 parts. There is no wear on the parts that have printing on them, but the stickers have been applied and the small bat symbol on the escape boat was put on upside-down.

Bricklink lists them for $99-$200 for complete sets. Before I use bricklink or ebay any interest here? $85 plus shipping. Contact, monkeypuncher00 at gmail dot com

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guzwar posted:

STARCOM :monocle:

Good lord, the Starcom bomber!

All the G1 transformers are pretty amazing too

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

einTier posted:

It's fairly impressive.

This is loving amazing. I really envy guys that can make all this stuff fit into such a small package.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

einTier posted:

It's fairly impressive.

If you like LEGO you will watch this video

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

einTier posted:

It's fairly impressive.

I want to see what you're comparing this to that this is only "fairly" impressive. That must be some cool rear end poo poo.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Found a box of Series 4 mini figs at a local Toys R Us and spent about 20 minuets trying to find the drat viking looking guy to no avail. Though I did manage to pick out the bio hazard guy (by far the best one of the set), picked the punk rock girl and took one at random and got the figure skating chick which made me pretty sad at first glance. After assembling all of them the figure skater looked pretty sweet with the skates, the goofy face and hair but over all the Bio Hazard suit guy is hilarious and really well done.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I was in Toys R Us and they randomly had a 2010 City Advent calendar left on the shelf. And they still wanted $35 for it, what the hell?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Saw that myself yesterday too, they had one or two laying around, I think it was going for 15 dollars or so maybe closer to twenty. Was almost thinking about picking it up for all the neat little mini figs and items it comes with but Series 4 was more important.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
With regards to S4 minifigs, the little plastic beam coming out of the alien's gun makes and excellent iraddiated fuel rod for the bio-hazard guy to hold and be freaking out at. That dude has the best expression on his face.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The one time I saw an 2010 advent calendar, half of it had been opened up and was missing. But considering that TRU has about 1 security camera, that's not surprising.

So, my dad is clearing out our garage, and presented me with a 8.5x14x16 cardboard box full of Lego. Literally full. He'd bought it a couple of years while I was away and had completely forgotten about it. I bought some plastic containers to start sorting it, but those are already full, and I've still got about a third of the box to go.

The one downside which I found out half way through.. there's MegaBlocks in there. Gah. Luckily, it seems to only be black pieces, but it means I'm now checking it all more carefully while sorting now. And I'll have to go through the black bin now to make sure. It really is crappy stuff, isn't it? I'm putting it all together as a mass to make sure I don't lose any, but it seems to have trouble fitting to itself.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Ninjago, City, and Toy Story BOGO50%O this week. Maybe I'll buy a couple of those Army Men Jeeps.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

The_Doctor posted:

The one downside which I found out half way through.. there's MegaBlocks in there. Gah. Luckily, it seems to only be black pieces, but it means I'm now checking it all more carefully while sorting now. And I'll have to go through the black bin now to make sure. It really is crappy stuff, isn't it? I'm putting it all together as a mass to make sure I don't lose any, but it seems to have trouble fitting to itself.
Yeah, I have quite a collection of off-brand bricks, and the only ones I regularly throw out are Mega Bloks and Best Lock. Mega Bloks have supposedly got much better over the last couple of years, with better fit and a plastic that's a lot closer to the LEGO formula, but anything you get second hand is going to be the old stuff.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Faerunner posted:

Ninjago, City, and Toy Story BOGO50%O this week. Maybe I'll buy a couple of those Army Men Jeeps.

I spent a couple hundred bucks on those Army Men sets when they were $5 each. Most of that was fixing the dent some bastard put in my car door. Kinda negated that whole sale price and then some. :argh:

Testro
May 2, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I am in a similar situation. I picked up a massive box of Lego for very cheap (so I really can't complain, and I'm not!) and it's scattered full of Megabloks (and a few others bits and bobs, e.g. Meccano). It's a real ache to sort and I've resorted to filtering Lego vs Megabloks vs other, and I will re-sort the Lego again at some stage.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Sorting out mega/tyco/misc blocks from large batches of Lego bought at yardsales and such will drive you nutty. I spend the better part of a week sorting one box and swear its not something I ever want to do again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

Sorting out mega/tyco/misc blocks from large batches of Lego bought at yardsales and such will drive you nutty. I spend the better part of a week sorting one box and swear its not something I ever want to do again.

The worst part is I didn't notice until half way through sorting... I didn't even think that it wasn't all Lego. I was just "Black piece, blue piece, red piece, black piece..." :smith:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

I tend to notice clones almost immediately; their colors, gloss, textures, weight and even their sound are all off.

I'm a little annoyed. I was lazing around Saturday and never looked at my phone, where I have craigslist alerts for people selling Lego. Turns out there was a Saturday-only yardsale just a few blocks away that advertised selling lots of lego, including complete sets for $4 a pound and $12 for 10 minifigs. I e-mailed the guy the next day and he said most that they put out had been sold, but he hadn't put out everything. Trying to work out something with him now.
Also the going-on-six-weeks thing with another local seller trying to sell $60 worth of '1987' Lego, with no more information and no response to multiple emails from different accounts. Another seller in a nearby city has like 15 gallons for $50, but still no response from the email I sent. :sigh:

Also this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/clt/2482698631.html
The MOC itself is pretty drat unimpressive; it's big, but the design is just uninspired and boring.

Lego VIP sent me an email--they want you to vote on the best minifig from the first three collections, and the most popular minifigs will get turned into a VIP-exclusive minifig set. So you VIPs go vote! For the Spartan!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The_Doctor posted:

My Lego collection is littered with knock off poo poo, mostly Tyco from the 90s. Sadly, I didn't sort it out of my collection when I did the big sort into bins when I came out of my Lego dark ages.

It's not like they're completely useless. If you're building something large enough, use your lovely Megabricks to fill in poo poo that isn't seen.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Concerning the VIP vote, I put mine towards the zombie. It was a toss between the zombie, the spartan and the pharaoh.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Tried to google the VIP vote but it didn't come up with anything. Could melt those knock off block into a neat lamp shade or some type of knock off abstract "lego" artwork.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Do I have to actually buy something to become a VIP member from their website? I want to vote and all that, but I don't really have any money to buy sets at the moment, nor anything I want which would justify paying the shipping when I can just pick it up in store.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Dr. Platypus posted:

Do I have to actually buy something to become a VIP member from their website? I want to vote and all that, but I don't really have any money to buy sets at the moment, nor anything I want which would justify paying the shipping when I can just pick it up in store.

http://shopkr.lego.com/VIP2/default.aspx?domainredir=vip.lego.com

Says you can sign up over the phone

I don't know if you'd get the e-mail, though, since it's already gone out to VIP members.

Small print from the email:

quote:

Voting closes on 30 July 2011 and is restricted to one vote per registered VIP Member. The top 5 minifigures will be announced in the November email newsletter and the set will be exclusively available to VIP Members to purchase in 2012, and at this time terms will be announced. The sets will be available for as long as supplies last. Please be aware that while every best effort will be made to exactly replicate the minifigures from the series range, if the winning minifigures contain parts no longer in production, we will look to find the closest looking pieces as a replacement part, and if no suitable replacement parts are readily available, we will substitute the minifigure(s) in question with runners-up.

Top 5...I'm predicting Zombie, Spartan, Robot, Elf Warrior, and...toss up between the Space guy, the Evil Cyborg Space guy, and the Alien.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I voted Vampire, but I think it´s going to go to the Spartan or the Zombie. Either of which is fine with me, I suppose.

Anyone else doing the Lego MBA thing? The microscale building guide was actually pretty cool, I would have loved this poo poo as a kid.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Ninja Bob posted:

I voted Vampire, but I think it´s going to go to the Spartan or the Zombie. Either of which is fine with me, I suppose.

Anyone else doing the Lego MBA thing? The microscale building guide was actually pretty cool, I would have loved this poo poo as a kid.

Thinking about it, haven't pulled the trigger on it yet though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I voted Spartan, and if you voted for something that's already had a set or an entire line(or MULTIPLE lines, such as the Pharaoh), you might as well have voted for the skateboarder. Which had a (really really bad) line already.

Pretty much Spartan, Zombie, Caveman, Crash Test Dummy, Gorilla, Luchadore, Mexican, Robot(combined with spaceman and evilspaceman), Mime, Disco Stu, or Baseball Player would be the ideal choices, I think.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I got this when I was at the Lego Store last week. I have to go to the website to register it, though.

While I'm sharing pictures.. I finally got around to opening the Grab Bag I got last week. Seems like a decent haul... I got a SHITLOAD of 1x8 white tiles.

There's a lot of 1x2 white grill bricks, which are always nice to have. I also see a lot of 1x3 green bricks. But then I get this useless poo poo:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

benito posted:

That rules. I want to have a look inside, but it's technically a residence and I would need a warrant.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

At the local Borders, there is a Queen Anne's Revenge that is 50% off, the manager says it looks like someone jacked some of the minifigs but everything else is there.

I think I might be able to get her to let me look inside, but it is marked 'No Returns' on the box. Buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ninja Bob posted:

I am loving the MBA program. I never built microscale when I was younger and it was a blast to have an introduction to it. And who doesn't love a swooshable spaceship? It's pretty great that the sets (1-3 ) all share a color scheme, so when all of the Level 1 are out you've amassed quite a usable pile of color themed pieces.

And while it's a pretty simple amenity, I really like that each kit comes with a themed accessory or two for the mini-fig (pilot goggles and a jetpack for the Space kit, magnifying glass and tiny model spaceship for the Microscale kit).