Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

blasting the soothing strains of Simon and Garfunkel

12 Stebel Nautilii, some relays, resistors and a MIDI controller. Rotary knob selects tune according to which message you want to send. Lane splitting while playing Flight of the Bumblebee at 120 dB is my new goal in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

The problem with the loud pipes argument is that the people you're concerned about aren't going to notice you no matter what you're doing. You could be doing the hokey pokey naked while standing on your gas tank while blasting the soothing strains of Simon and Garfunkel and they still wouldn't notice you.

I just see a little noisy presence on the road as one more thing I can do to make myself visible. It isn't an instant safety pass or anything.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

hayden. posted:

I don't really know how to feel about the loud-pipes-lives thing. I mean you drove everywhere with your horn button taped down it seems like you'd be less likely to be run over by people not paying attention. A loud exhaust seems like it'd have a similar effect.

Funnily enough you can get a similar effect by, you know, using your horn. Don't be scared to, it's not illegal. It's there entirely to alert people to your presence.

Blind corner? beep

Driver looks like they might merge towards you? BEEP

Driver looks like they might possibly entertain the idea of one day merging at all? BEEP BEEP

Driver looks like they're a mindless drone stuck in a hateful metal box in depressing traffic? BEEEEEEEEEEP "I'M ON A BIKE MOTHERFUCKER" *wheelies into distance*

Ola posted:

Lane splitting while playing Flight of the Bumblebee at 120 dB is my new goal in life.

Dear penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me but...

Team Ola.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 9, 2011

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

SaucyPants posted:

Canada must be the bizarro world of motorcycles. The local biker bar is full of a lot of cool guys who just like to ride. Mind you some of them do wear the brain buckets and just a leather vest but for the most part they are actually a really good group and when I show up in my ninja they seem genuinely interested in it.I find more image conscious riders on sportbikes and get more waves from Harley's than I do Sportbikes, still get the most waves from touring bikes though.

Canada is just cool, period. They're running a cool surplus. They could export the stuff, but they'd have no use for the proceeds. When I went to London I wanted to stay. If I ever made it to Toronto, I probably would.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

Canada is just cool, period. They're running a cool surplus. They could export the stuff, but they'd have no use for the proceeds. When I went to London I wanted to stay. If I ever made it to Toronto, I probably would.

Meh, Toronto felt like a god drat hippy commune due to all the hipsters and glam rock kids.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

The problem with the loud pipes argument is that the people you're concerned about aren't going to notice you no matter what you're doing. You could be doing the hokey pokey naked while standing on your gas tank while blasting the soothing strains of Simon and Garfunkel and they still wouldn't notice you.

Challenge for the Tag thread...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

hayden. posted:

I don't really know how to feel about the loud-pipes-lives thing. I mean you drove everywhere with your horn button taped down it seems like you'd be less likely to be run over by people not paying attention. A loud exhaust seems like it'd have a similar effect.

It seems the government agrees.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Gnaghi posted:

It seems the government agrees.

I think that's more aimed towards pedestrian (and people who are blind) safety.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Funnily enough you can get a similar effect by, you know, using your horn. Don't be scared to, it's not illegal. It's there entirely to alert people to your presence.

Yeah but horns can piss people off pretty quick. Plus most bike horns are barely audible at highway speeds.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Whereas everyone loves loud pipes?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think what he means is that horns are often seen as hostile towards the "beepee". Also that article doesn't really apply. It's talking about silent vehicles, not whether the vehicle's volume makes a difference once it's already noisy.

edit:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Z3n posted:

I understand some people feel more safety is better, regardless of the cost. I feel like loud pipes provide questionable safety benefit while providing a definite nuisance that ends up with motorcyclists getting their rights restricted.

I've had much the same experience. While I wasn't on a HD with straight pipes, I did have a louder bike and I felt like people were just as likely to merge into you/whatever. Most of the noise is headed the wrong direction anyway.

And, of course, I always felt like an rear end coming home late or trying to ride with the revs up on the twistiez. On the plus side, instead of using the horn at cars I'd just clutch in and "bark" at them :downs:. They seemed to notice the quick change over the drone of a cruising motor.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 9, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I just see a little noisy presence on the road as one more thing I can do to make myself visible. It isn't an instant safety pass or anything.

The problem I have with loud pipes is that they're indiscriminate. A little additional safety doesn't meet the risk/reward for pissing off cops, neighbors, and those who live nearby.

Plus, no one expects you to be hauling rear end with a stock exhaust. The amount of slack you get for having all your poo poo in order plus a stock pipe is incredible.

I understand some people feel more safety is better, regardless of the cost. I feel like loud pipes provide questionable safety benefit while providing a definite nuisance that ends up with motorcyclists getting their rights restricted.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
I was in the locker room at my gym getting ready to go home when I overheard this lovely conversation.

Guy 1: Hey man, that your yellow bike out front?
Guy 2: Yea, it sure is.
2: Oh man, that sick, how fast does it go?
1: I got it up to 150 earlier today.
2: That's crazy man, no helmet?
1: Nope, you only live once.

Helmets are a rarity in my town, anything more than that is even rarer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

Lane splitting while playing Flight of the Bumblebee at 120 dB is my new goal in life.
I would probably crash from laughing so hard if I saw that poo poo happen. :lol:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
LPSL is nothing but a mildly clever bumper sticker that somehow became another factoid propagated by people unable to grasp concepts that cannot be reduced to four words. I think it'd be interesting to trace the origins--it probably has its roots in advertising.

I've spent some time on both sides of this, and at the risk of pontification, I'll make a few observations. First, by "loud," I think volume is sort of secondary--it's the percussion that drives people insane. You're setting off car alarms in the wee hours. Waking up babies that sleep a grand total of 29 minutes on a good night. In the morning, you're firing this thing up on full choke for a minute or more, which just amplifies it 5x.

On the other side of those rattling windows, it isn't Ward Cleaver looking up quizzically from his morning paper. It's somebody putting his fist through a wall, yelling at a kid, running downstairs in boxers to make sure the Taurus isn't getting boosted, etc. What chain of events have you just set in motion in the name of gaining 7 largely imaginary horsepower and prolonging the life of a self-centered human being? In some quarters, dogs are shot for less.

You want real rebellion? Read a goddamn book. Do something memorable, because from the seat of that soundproof Escalade all the world is a silent film anyway, and that's before the Jay-Z and subwoofer kick in. After it comes in for the kill, the bike will get 8 seconds of airtime on the evening news, and no one save a handful of morbid bike nerds will be looking for a Vance and Hines logo.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got pulled over on the second day of my bike trip(10 over). After the cop ran my license he let me off with a warning, he told me to be careful. "When I was younger I bought a bike. Went down on it twice in the first month and ended up sliding into the car in front of me. Sold it after that."

So yeah, I guess a cop told me he had to lay 'er down. I guess it's better he sold it, then.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

What chain of events have you just set in motion in the name of gaining 7 largely imaginary horsepower and prolonging the life of a self-centered human being? In some quarters, dogs are shot for less.

You want real rebellion? Read a goddamn book. Do something memorable, because from the seat of that soundproof Escalade all the world is a silent film anyway, and that's before the Jay-Z and subwoofer kick in. After it comes in for the kill, the bike will get 8 seconds of airtime on the evening news, and no one save a handful of morbid bike nerds will be looking for a Vance and Hines logo.

At the risk of being a total nerd, I feel like printing this out and posting it on my garage wall.

It'd go nicely next to Spiffs take on fresh prince, and a baglbeabs* gang tag.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Marv Hushman posted:

LPSL is nothing but a mildly clever bumper sticker that somehow became another factoid propagated by people unable to grasp concepts that cannot be reduced to four words. I think it'd be interesting to trace the origins--it probably has its roots in advertising.

I've spent some time on both sides of this, and at the risk of pontification, I'll make a few observations. First, by "loud," I think volume is sort of secondary--it's the percussion that drives people insane. You're setting off car alarms in the wee hours. Waking up babies that sleep a grand total of 29 minutes on a good night. In the morning, you're firing this thing up on full choke for a minute or more, which just amplifies it 5x.

On the other side of those rattling windows, it isn't Ward Cleaver looking up quizzically from his morning paper. It's somebody putting his fist through a wall, yelling at a kid, running downstairs in boxers to make sure the Taurus isn't getting boosted, etc. What chain of events have you just set in motion in the name of gaining 7 largely imaginary horsepower and prolonging the life of a self-centered human being? In some quarters, dogs are shot for less.

Take that you Team Ola faggots!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Team fuckin' Marv.

Maybe I should put more effort into my posts.

While they may be as verbose, they will most definitely lack life experience. I usually save effort for friends and facebook and treat something awful as "internets", but the beauty of that post has me rethinking how my thoughts are expressed.

why must we choose between marv and ola? hah

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 9, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

clutchpuck posted:

I agree with this within reason. Mufflers are mandatory, but a Akropovich on a 600 and a throttle blip will get some needed attention.

I also ride around with the high beam on all day long.

aventari fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 9, 2011

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Marv Hushman posted:

Thank you for what is possibly the best post I've ever read on CA. And that's saying a lot because I respect a lot of opinions on this board.

I like to feel safe, getting a loud exhaust sounds great and makes me feel safer, but that only feels so good till I'm rolling up my driveway at 10pm living next to my neighbor who just had a kid. Loud pipes can save lives but they rarely do. What they really end up doing is put more a distance between responsible motorcyclists and the general public.

PS: I think I was actually being merged into MORE on the freeway when I rode a motorcycle with an aftermarket exhaust because I felt safer than I actually was. If someone wants to run you over bad enough, they probably will.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

nsaP posted:

why must we choose between marv and ola? hah

Who says we have to choose? Both are awesome!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I used to live in Providence, RI. Since I'd never lived in a city before, I didn't think very carefully about choosing a 2nd floor apartment, right at a major intersection. It took me a LONG time before I could sleep through the night, between general traffic, loud music, the fire station a block away... But all of that PALED in comparison to the loud pipe harley guys.

There was a sport-bike bar right up the street. Never bothered me, even though it was a bunch of no-gear squids on literbikes with chicken strips a mile wide. I even saw one of them crash taking a simple right hand turn at walking speed; overrevved, spun the rear tire, and off he went. I didn't think you could highside at 5 mph, but you can. Despite their ineptitude, those guys were quiet, and never bothered me.

But the Harley guys... They would sit at the light and just rev and rev and rev. One of the streets I lived next to had several bars on it, and when they let out at night, you'd have 10 or 15 bikers just sitting there, waiting for the light to turn green, yanking on their throttle like a teenager who just discovered masturbation. Then when the light turned green, for gently caress's sake they'd pin it, and the noise would echo off the buildings.

Since I didn't own an air conditioner, I had to sleep with my windows open to keep the apartment cool and comfortable. That also meant I could hear EVERYTHING. There were some nights I lay awake, fantasizing about hiding on a roof with a rifle, and every time some limp-dick harley loser revved his engine for no reason, just popping a round through his skull. Not like he's wearing a helmet. No-one would hear the shot over his loud pipes; how many bikers could I kill before someone noticed?

My only consolation is knowing that they will probably get horribly killed in what would otherwise be a minor accident. I also love seeing towns pass "no straight pipe" ordinances. The Harley riders always complain about their rights and their freedoms and how are they supposed to know if their pipes are legal in one town but not legal in another. Here's how : Just have quiet loving pipes!

Pagan fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 9, 2011

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
After getting my bike, I started paying more attention while driving around town, and I noticed something very interesting: I can't hear the exhaust of oncoming motorcycles when they're far enough away for me to take evasive action. By the time I hear them, it's already too late. So it doesn't matter how loud your pipes are, they do nothing but piss off the locals, especially at night. So for the love of [insert random deity here] let me get a good night's sleep! (Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the choir, I just had to vent.)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

LPSL, helmet laws suck, front brake = lay 'er down lever, gear is for babies, etc...is it just me or are all these terrible ideas from people who ride twice a month and only on the weekends? I ride nearly every weekday and rarely on the weekends due to all the leather fags on HD's and squids on liter bikes riding like dongs and using up the good roads. Why does it seem like my opinion counts less than those other retards? They are the ones writing letters to Michigan lawmakers begging for the repeal of the helmet law. (sigh)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

FLAWLESS VICTORY :master:

Before I rode, I lived across the street from one of those harley guys. He'd come home from the bar at 3AM and sit in his garage and rev his goddamn earthshattering engine for 5 minutes. I even called the cops on him once, but he stopped before they showed up. I think he used to get into fights with his wife too, because I'd hear a bunch of yelling, then he'd get on his goddamn Harley and rev the loving engine in the garage for another twenty minutes. Note to the dickless wonder - you can't hear the shrill shriek of your woman if you actually ride the drat thing away, either. It's not that loud pipes save lives, it's the impotent mid-life crisis rage that he's not a navy seal swimming in pussy every night. It's the insecure loser with a kaiser helmet that has to rev the throttle at a stop light if there's a man, dog, or squirrel nearby to hear it. you want to save lives? Take the goddamn MSF and shut the gently caress up.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 9, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My middle name is Marvin. Just putting that out there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

My middle name is Marvin. Just putting that out there.

Every time I see your name on a post I think of the Mexicans around here because they spanglish the poo poo out of 'Hola'.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Who says we have to choose? Both are awesome!

They're like 2 sides of an amazing coin. Either way it lands, you win. :allears:

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

I was talking to a friend of a friend at a gathering a while ago when the subject of aftermarket pipes came up. Cue "I never get anyone pulling out on me on -bike-with-stupid-loud-pipes, I'm a big believer in Loud-pipes-save-lives." He rode a sports bike.

As for the "front brakes r dangerus" crowd I know a couple of those too. I'm not in contact with them any more but I remember being shocked when someone who I had known for a while wrote on his facebook wall about how the back brake on his GSX-R streetfighter was worn out and he'd had to *gasp* use the front brake for a day until he got it sorted out. I asked him why he thought suzuki had seen fit to furnish him with twin 300mm rotors on the front and only a tiny disc at the rear. To which he responded "front rear its all the same lol" or words to similar effect.

I only talk to a few people about riding now, and when I do I keep it purely technical.

It's been a while, but I am pretty sure that there is a section in the suzuki manual about how to brake. Then again, it's too much to ask that someone reads the manual for a motorcycle.

Speaking of wearing a uniform while riding, A fellow design student mentioned that he rode a motorcycle. I asked what it was and he told me that it was a nightster 1200. He complained that he had to remove chrome from it to completely black it out. Fair enough, everyone has a right be be an individual. Then I see him post pictures of his M/C gang with the word, "brothers" in the name. If they didn't have different taste in handlebars, I might have thought they were all sitting on the same bike. Official personal safety gear was brainbucket and the leather safety vest covered in patches. I am not sure how patches work in these gangs, but it seems odd that a guy who has been riding for only a year-ish has a vest full of patches.

On the subject of LPSL, I cannot sympathize with that ideology. Pretty sure that I got this from my dad, who now has a harley funny enough. He used to say that all harleys sound like a gravely tractor. Since he got the harley in a trade, that has changed. Even so, he is reasonable on the volume issue. It came with screamin' eagle pipes that he switched for the stock pipes, at least I think he did. This is in direct contrast to our neighbor whose bike will shake our house when he starts it up, from a few hundred feet away! At least he doesn't sit idling in the driveway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ah loud pipes...I just don't get it. My SV has a cheap slip on that the previous owner installed. I've been tempted to remove it a few times because I feel bad when I get called in at 2am and start it up. I've talked to my neighbors though and they don't mind it.

Other side of the argument was a neighbor in Wisconsin. Great guy and taught me a bit about working on cars and bikes. He got a crashed harley and we rebuilt it, actually a really nice bike. Then he put the loudest pipes he could buy on it and drilled them out for "better" sound. That drat thing set off car alarms and drove everyone crazy. Of course no helmet or gear of any kind.

I was really happy when Dad talked him into trading bikes for a week. Dad took left the harley in the garage and only fired it up to bring it back over. Neighbor loved the R1150RT so much he sold the harley and had a R1200RT within a week. Suddenly he rode in full gear and had a nice quiet bike.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
There is a lot of anger towards cruiser riders here...I ride a cruiser with stock exhaust, wear a full face helmet, leather jacket, boots, leather gloves with fingers, and jeans every time I ride, even today, in 95 degree heat. I also use both the front and rear brakes. I even cracked open my owner's manual because I had a question about maintenance (thanks Q&A thread!) I also took the MSF before I got on my bike.

Shunned by the cruiser crowd around here because I'm wearing more than chaps and a vest, shunned by the crotch rocket riders because I'm on a cruiser, I feel my only two wheeled brethren are the touring bikes and people on scooters :saddowns:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

americanzero4128 posted:

Shunned by the cruiser crowd around here because I'm wearing more than chaps and a vest, shunned by the crotch rocket riders because I'm on a cruiser, I feel my only two wheeled brethren are the touring bikes and people on scooters :saddowns:

If the scooter folks around you are like the scooter folks around me, they'll shun you if your jeans aren't skinny enough.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

americanzero4128 posted:

There is a lot of anger towards cruiser riders here...

We have plenty of cruiser goons that post here. All of this anger is directed toward not the choice of bike, but how the rider chooses to ride said bike, on top of spouting endless bullshit myths about riding. It just happens that the ones that are most annoying to other people are the ridiculous cruiser guys.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv and I are both cruiser riders. Crayvex used to be one before he went all squiddly. :haw:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Does my 77 Honda count as a cruiser?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm a cruiser goon! :911:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Cycle Asylum: We're pretty much the oldest sub forum on SA

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
Just like squids are a part of the sportbike community, the cruiser community has their share of idiots. The difference is squids seem to be an anomaly, or at least I would like to think so, but the equivalent seems to be baked into the cruiser community. I suppose it doesn't help that many of the cruiser riders can remember a time when safety gear wasn't widely available. My dad, for instance, was a hard sell, yet I was able to at least convince him to wear a full face helment, gloves and a jacket. IIRC, the last time he was riding, even the racers didn't have full face helmets yet.

Even though he has had the harley for over a year and has said that I can ride it any time I want, I have yet to take him up on it. To be honest, I don't really have any desire to do so, but I should just to have the experience.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

americanzero4128 posted:

There is a lot of anger towards cruiser riders here...I ride a cruiser with stock exhaust, wear a full face helmet, leather jacket, boots, leather gloves with fingers, and jeans every time I ride, even today, in 95 degree heat. I also use both the front and rear brakes. I even cracked open my owner's manual because I had a question about maintenance (thanks Q&A thread!) I also took the MSF before I got on my bike.

Please, dude, transition to standards/nakeds. I see guys in full gear on cruisers who don't wave at me. Just cuz i have a naked sv650 with Buell dual headlights and clipons. Honestly? Having that stoic expression must be so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Americanzero, don't change what you're riding, change how far out you ride because you're obviously surrounded by some lovely people.

What do your local forums provide in the sense of community? Are they the basis for these feelings? I'd recommend finding people to associate with by taking to the most popular twisty road you have around there. The people that ride these regularly are usually very level headed people, especially the ones on the bigger cruisers.

• Locked thread