Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

f#a# posted:

So I'm fed up with AT&T and am likely going to switch to Sprint in the near future. I hear there is a version of the Samsung Galaxy S II coming to the US (called the "Within"), but can't find if the apparent late-July release date is still going to be hit.

And actually, has anybody heard about how phone speed & reception fare between the Galaxy S II and the Evo 3D? Most reviews I've read of the 3D have been "it's good but it's not the best."

I haven't really noticed anything either terrible or spectacular about the 3D reception, and to really get a fair gauge on the Galaxy S II's reception, you'll probably have to wait until it drops on the carrier to know for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

f#a# posted:

So I'm fed up with AT&T and am likely going to switch to Sprint in the near future. I hear there is a version of the Samsung Galaxy S II coming to the US (called the "Within"), but can't find if the apparent late-July release date is still going to be hit.

And actually, has anybody heard about how phone speed & reception fare between the Galaxy S II and the Evo 3D? Most reviews I've read of the 3D have been "it's good but it's not the best."
Coming from the EVO 4G, which was no slouch, I've found the 3D to be hilariously fast. I don't make a ton of phone calls, but they've all sounded great, and reception has never been an issue on either phone.

At a friend's house, I get full 4G reception, where my friend gets almost nothing on AT&T. It's fun because he works for AT&T and wishes he could switch to Sprint.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 9, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Forums browsing without needing to zoom at all and having pages load as fast as my wifi can handle it is another reason the E3D kicks rear end. Loving qHD.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

900ftjesus posted:

Forums browsing without needing to zoom at all and having pages load as fast as my wifi can handle it is another reason the E3D kicks rear end. Loving qHD.

Yeah, the resolution upgrade is INSANE.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife's Facebook app keeps doing weird poo poo on her 3D. It flashes sometimes over and over. Tried a reinstall but no luck. Anyone else had this problem?

f#a# posted:

Until it comes to the US who knows for sure. By most accounts the European version of the SGS2 is the best phone on the market, and drat it sure is the sexiest. It just a question if the CDMA version will be as good. Given the hype it is well worth waiting to see if it does. I know I am waiting.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

f#a# posted:

So I'm fed up with AT&T and am likely going to switch to Sprint in the near future.

Can I ask why you're fed up with AT&T right now? As it is I'm actually debating a switch in the opposite direction. Basically I can stick with Sprint and get an Evo 3D, or get a line on my father's AT&T Corporate account with an iPhone 4 that's cheaper than my EPRP and the AT&T line has unlimited data/text.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
I received my Evo 3D from Amazon Wireless and had an HTC update question. I have avoided applying any HTC specific updates because I do not want to patch any potential holes that can be used to root it. The unfortunate thing is I have to apply the update in order to view The Green Hornet. Anyone else not installing updates? Should I just install the update?

Also the two small round sticker seals on the Evo package were cut, the phone doesn't look used and the charger cable and plug were still sealed but its still a bit annoying. Anyone else receive their Amazon order with the two round stickers cut?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Mr. Ali posted:

The unfortunate thing is I have to apply the update in order to view The Green Hornet. Anyone else not installing updates? Should I just install the update?

I don't have the link handy at the moment but over on the E3D XDA forums they've got the updated HTC Watch that you can install on its own which should be safe to do. I did that and it downloads the license without the upgrade nag and you can watch TGH without having to risk closing any holes.

edit: here it is, I had to install both before it worked for me.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 9, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Temp root works with the OTA update, and the update can apparently be rolled back to stock if needed. So there's really no reason not to update, just make sure to check here or xda if another update shows up this week.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Also the movie is terrible so I wouldn't beat yourself up if you don't get to watch it. :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
here's a picture of the (clear) silicone case I got for my evo:

I like it.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Q_res posted:

Can I ask why you're fed up with AT&T right now? As it is I'm actually debating a switch in the opposite direction. Basically I can stick with Sprint and get an Evo 3D, or get a line on my father's AT&T Corporate account with an iPhone 4 that's cheaper than my EPRP and the AT&T line has unlimited data/text.

Well, it's just the reception in my area, mostly. My iPhone 3G getting a tad old may have something to do with it, but I now live in an absolute dead zone where I have a six square foot area in which I can make a call. And even then, it drops after five minutes. A friend stopped by who had a full signal with Sprint, and I like how they aren't doing tiered data, so I'm down to give Android a shot.

On topic and concerning my problem, however, I found this here pretty comprehensive comparison: PocketNow's Samsung Galaxy S II vs. HTC Evo 3D.

Sheesh. Maybe I will hold out.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

f#a# posted:

On topic and concerning my problem, however, I found this here pretty comprehensive comparison: PocketNow's Samsung Galaxy S II vs. HTC Evo 3D.

Sheesh. Maybe I will hold out.
On paper, the Epic matched nicely against the Evo 4g, too. I truly do hope samsung has gotten their poo poo together and the sprint sgs2 will be amazing, but anyone hitching their wagon based on a just a spec sheet is a fool.

I'm probably holding out for the nexus 3 either way, though.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

WoG posted:

I'm probably holding out for the nexus 3 either way, though.

Same. I'm really wanting the boost in battery life that the E3D brings, but I'm making myself hold out for the Nexus 3 announcement. I have a good feeling that Sprint will get it at launch this time.

How is the reception (cell and wifi) on the E3D compared to the EVO 4G? This has always been my biggest gripe about my EVO...it gets worse cell and wifi reception than my Pre did.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Excellent. I haven't had any issues at all.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Ozmodiar posted:

it gets worse cell and wifi reception than my Pre did.

This is pretty much my experience with the 3D as well.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Leathal posted:

Temp root works with the OTA update, and the update can apparently be rolled back to stock if needed. So there's really no reason not to update, just make sure to check here or xda if another update shows up this week.

It can? The RUU for the shipping ROM won't reapply once you take the OTA. How do you go back to original ROM + hboot after the OTA?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

TheBlackMallard posted:

Custom ROM/Kernel support for the Shift is kind of a joke.
Seems like there are a lot of ROMs to me- AOSP, Cyanogen, MIUI, hacked Sense- not sure what else you'd want. Cyanogen has run perfectly since it was officially released, ran well for a long time before that too. I've never installed a custom kernel because they all seem to just overclock my phone. That was fine in the 90s for a Celeron but I prefer to have battery life on my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

Same. I'm really wanting the boost in battery life that the E3D brings, but I'm making myself hold out for the Nexus 3 announcement. I have a good feeling that Sprint will get it at launch this time.

How is the reception (cell and wifi) on the E3D compared to the EVO 4G? This has always been my biggest gripe about my EVO...it gets worse cell and wifi reception than my Pre did.

No way the original evo gets worse reception than the pre. The pre always had dead zones I have never had otherwise.

On a good news front, Sprint has been fantastic to sell recently. For years it sucked due to mail in rebates and not only big box but sprint.com having better prices. Well, for the past few months instant rebates alone have been a godsend, and now they are rolling out a crazy awesome promo that actually has sprint.com working with the sprint stores. If you go online wanting a sprint phone and want to still get it in store you can ?place an order for pickup.? When it gets to the screen you pick the store closest to you. That store gets an email ?mary jane is getting an Evo at 3pm tomorrow? and the store and store rep not only still get credit, but if online is runming a special you get that special in store. This starts in august (and I think it is working for corporate stores already), and I cannot wait.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 9, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Shed posted:

There are quite a few places that have 4G in development that aren't displayed on the Sprint coverage site. It's a lot more updated on Clearwire's. For example: A small part of Rochester MN, La Crosse WI, and Madison WI are all experiencing 4G. They just aren't up to Sprint's standards yet, though, hence why they are more than likely not displayed on Sprint's site.

Check http://www.clear.com/coverage

I wonder how accurate this map is. I tried around Omaha yesterday and I got absolutely nothing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

This is pretty much my experience with the 3D as well.

Bars and reception aren't the same thing. Unless you're comparing db levels there's no comparison between phones.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
My 3d gets wayyyy battery wifi reception than my 4g did.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Has anyone else tried converting 3d movies for playback on the Evo 3d? I can get side by side (sbs) 3d movies to work, but stereoscopic videos just play in 2d. If I force it in 3d, it seems to split the frames and display them side by side but in the completely wrong manner.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

WoG posted:

On paper, the Epic matched nicely against the Evo 4g, too. I truly do hope samsung has gotten their poo poo together and the sprint sgs2 will be amazing, but anyone hitching their wagon based on a just a spec sheet is a fool.

You don't have to base it off spec sheets though, the SGS2 has been out in Europe longer than the Evo3D has been out here. Unless you think the SGS2 is going to be changed drastically when it rolls out on Sprint, which would surprise me (why waste money messing with a good thing?). I do think lack of updates is a valid concern, but I'm already used to that considering my current phone is a Hero.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dphi posted:

Unless you think the SGS2 is going to be changed drastically when it rolls out on Sprint, which would surprise me (why waste money messing with a good thing?).
But that's exactly what they did with the Epic. It is a fairly drastic change from the I9000 both hardware, and especially software wise. That's Samsung's MO.

Most of the software changes are totally superfluous. The rest are bugs.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

dphi posted:

You don't have to base it off spec sheets though, the SGS2 has been out in Europe longer than the Evo3D has been out here. Unless you think the SGS2 is going to be changed drastically when it rolls out on Sprint, which would surprise me (why waste money messing with a good thing?). I do think lack of updates is a valid concern, but I'm already used to that considering my current phone accis a Hero.

Well they do have to make into a CDMA version. Still according to Europe it is first phone that Samsung has done right. If they can keep that love for the Sprint version it will be the best phone in the US also.

I honestly think it will be the best phone on Sprint until the new Nexus (yes even better than the 3D).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 9, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Still according to Europe it is first phone that Samsung has done right. If they can keep that love for the Sprint version it will be the best phone in the US also.
Actually I'm not sure I buy that. The I9000 is actually a pretty good phone. It had some design mistakes that were growing-pains type issues, in particular pairing the rear end-slow MoviNAND with rfs, and however they hosed up the hardware portion of the GPS on it. But all things considered, the European Galaxy S was't that far behind in getting Froyo upgrades, ROM leaks are plentiful, the problems the device did have were fixed in the community a long time ago, and it even has official CyanogenMod nightly support.

From that perspective, the SGSII is an iteration on that design, fixing some of the flaws in the original and making new ones (cruddy Samsung DAC instead of Wolfson). Some of those fixes will carry over to SGSII variants. Hell, some of them (e.g., dropping MoviNAND) made it to the original CDMA SGS variants.

At this point it's totally unclear that the issues that plagued the SGS variants have been addressed at all. Especially considering that the issues with them are not hardware based, but mismanagement in software engineering and an absolutely woeful build-test-debug-patch cycle.

I'd like to hope that the Sprint SGSII won't suck. But given that Samsung is still loving around with the Epic's modem, and that's rumored (with an appreciable amount of evidence) to be the reason for the continued Gingerbread delay, I have little faith. Especially given that the modem is the one part they're rather likely to recycle for the CDMA+WiMAX SGSII.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 9, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

big mean giraffe posted:

Bars and reception aren't the same thing. Unless you're comparing db levels there's no comparison between phones.

I'm comparing actual usage; my phone coverage is legitimately pretty bad on my 3D. Signal fades and such in places where my Pre had no problems. Plus my wifi just barely reached the pool on my Pre and doesn't on the Evo, but I have full 4g out there so it's not a big deal.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
After seeing that touchstone palm pre/evo 3d hack... Man I wish a company would make some legit touchstone compatible backplates for cellphones.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

falz posted:

Seems like there are a lot of ROMs to me- AOSP, Cyanogen, MIUI, hacked Sense- not sure what else you'd want. Cyanogen has run perfectly since it was officially released, ran well for a long time before that too. I've never installed a custom kernel because they all seem to just overclock my phone. That was fine in the 90s for a Celeron but I prefer to have battery life on my phone.

A sense ROM that isn't buggy. Even the 2.2 Sense ROMs weren't good. Kenrels aren't just for overclocking, you can underclock with a governor and get even better battery life. There aren't any decent kernels for the Shift though, I'd get almost twice as much battery life out of my Evo with a custom kernel.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is there any point to a screen protector on the 3D? The screen is supposed to be some sort of ultra-tough glass, no?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Loucks posted:

Is there any point to a screen protector on the 3D? The screen is supposed to be some sort of ultra-tough glass, no?
Despite all the claims, gorilla glass can and does scratch. Not easily, but there are folks (including myself) who have had at least one or two scratches of varying lengths on a gorilla glass screen. If you're paranoid and/or you absolutely cannot tolerate a scratch on your screen, then a screen protector is advisable.

That said, gorilla glass and its ilk are highly scratch resistant, and there's plenty of folks who throw their phone in a pocket with keys or whatever and go a year or two with not a single scratch. Some of these folks swear a screen protector is neither useful nor necessary, but that's a claim that folks-who-have-had-scratches may regret listening to.

Personally I don't think a screen protector is worth hedging the risk of a scratch. I'd rather invest in a case/pouch you can keep your phone in to keep the screen protected while not in use, as that eliminates almost all the chance for a screen to get scratched--it's not going to while you're actually using it.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Personally I don't think a screen protector is worth hedging the risk of a scratch. I'd rather invest in a case/pouch you can keep your phone in to keep the screen protected while not in use, as that eliminates almost all the chance for a screen to get scratched--it's not going to while you're actually using it.
To add to this: if the gorilla glass on the 3D gets scratched, then the 3D aspect of that part of the screen becomes unusable (according to Sprint).

I personally use a case and not a screen protector, but it's totally up to you.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I bought a screen protector because the drag on it was lesser than that of the glass when swiping. That's just another consideration.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
While we're on the topic of screen protectors, what are some good brands or does it matter? Should I just get one of those 2 for $3 chinese-made ones?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If a scratch renders the 3d unusable, isn't that enough to warrant a warranty replacement because it's killing a major feature of the phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

While we're on the topic of screen protectors, what are some good brands or does it matter? Should I just get one of those 2 for $3 chinese-made ones?

Get either the $3 ones or Zagg. Zaggs are expensive, but they do have better protection. The downside to Zagg is they are "filmy" and have a kind of weird touch feel in my opinion. I actually am used to it since I get them for free and keep putting them on. They don't bother me, but are not for everyone.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

falz posted:

It appears that Sprint has begun to roll out 4g in my city (Madison, WI) unexpectedly. I don't see this on their coverage map or on clear.com. Anyone have a source of more up to date data or possibly their announcements about such things?

These are spectrum protection sites there are about a thousand of them Madison is not being "built" just a tower or two.

Dlowmx
Feb 5, 2007
Eh
So I just got my 2 year upgrade and have been debating of upgrading to an android phone finally and upgrading my sero dumbphone plan.

I have been debating going the cheap route and getting the evo 4g or just plunking down the extra 100 dollars for the evo 3d.

My question is how good is the 4g's hardware by todays standards? or is the technology moving too fast these days that it doesnt even matter? I tend to hold on to my phone for 2 full years and kind of want to future proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dlowmx posted:

So I just got my 2 year upgrade and have been debating of upgrading to an android phone finally and upgrading my sero dumbphone plan.

I have been debating going the cheap route and getting the evo 4g or just plunking down the extra 100 dollars for the evo 3d.

My question is how good is the 4g's hardware by todays standards? or is the technology moving too fast these days that it doesnt even matter? I tend to hold on to my phone for 2 full years and kind of want to future proof.

Regular Evo is good, but if you are going to pay $50 a month for 2 years, why not pay an extra $100 to get the 3D, which is twice as fast and will get you better bang for your buck. Guarantee you the $100 difference is worth it.